You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Soshi_Sone

Hood is so OP....

24 comments in this topic

[CNO]
Members
7,450 posts
23,087 battles

I know this is going to jinx me, but I gotta show off.  Just six games so far...but wow:

Hood_zpsp3kpiux9.png

• Cool 4

Members
4,335 posts
10,761 battles

Oh you're jinxed alright. Everyone with a Bismarck is firing them up right now and doing their own Hunt the Hood mission. You'll see. )

[WG-CC]
[WG-CC]
Wiki Editor, Members
855 posts
9,538 battles

I had great games.

At first.

Now my luck has changed. My shells do nothing, and I'm dying with less than 30k damage because out of every 20 shell hits, 16 shatter.

Members
7,086 posts

From what I've seen playing against them, they are tough as nails ships that don't hit all that hard.

I've seen them dying early, dying late, but doing very little to contribute to victory either way. The only good news is that there are so many of them, that they kind of balance each other out via ineptitude. Give it a month, and they'll be rare.

Members
4,335 posts
10,761 battles

From what I've seen playing against them, they are tough as nails ships that don't hit all that hard.

Most of the ones I have seen are running hard and pot shooting--they know they are the focus fire du jour entrée. ;)

[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,885 posts
21,750 battles

well given that's its $100 it better be!

I'm not buying 1 though, saving my money for Kaga & Enterprise!:read_fish:

• Cool 1

[RICO5]
Members
3,273 posts
7,504 battles

That is a really good run...  Congrats.   I'll see you in my Bis or Gk soon... 

Members
1,343 posts
3,378 battles

I've seen them dying early, dying late, but doing very little to contribute to victory either way. The only good news is that there are so many of them, that they kind of balance each other out via ineptitude. Give it a month, and they'll be rare.

Well I've been having pretty big trouble actually fighting them with my Nagato. They seem to do a holy hell load of damage to me even when I'm bow in and that lowered citadel and gun angles really make it hard to deliver alpha damage onto Hood.

Her guns don't go much damage but they never seem to bounce off me, always doing like 5-9k damage bow on. Annoying as hell.

Edited by xX_Critical_ClopOut69_Xx

Alpha Tester
5,281 posts
12,191 battles

Oh you're jinxed alright. Everyone with a Bismarck is firing them up right now and doing their own Hunt the Hood mission. You'll see. )

Actually I'm firing up Scharn and Fiji....maybe Saipan, stress test that AA.

Alpha Tester
2,162 posts
6,770 battles

I'm at 10 battles with %80 win rate.

Hood is quite well balanced, and the penetration has been quite acceptable. Citadels never show up, but if you maintain that chip damage it adds up fast. You can't play it like Amagi at range, you never hit or penetrate anything well. You also can't play it like a German and ambush face-roll people at close range, your alpha is incredibly unreliable in a pinch. The Hood's strength is in its ability to position and get 33% pens on weird targets, it flanks well at mid range. And I've found its armor poor, but not weak. If you are careful it will reward you with nothing higher than 8k incoming from tier 7-8 ships.

Edited by X15
  • Cool 1

[NDA]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
5,746 posts
4,573 battles

Time to stop playing with your Hood. You'll get detonated in the next game.

• Cool 1

[TF16A]
[TF16A]
Members
506 posts
11,510 battles

Well I've been having pretty big trouble actually fighting them with my Nagato. They seem to do a holy hell load of damage to me even when I'm bow in and that lowered citadel and gun angles really make it hard to deliver alpha damage onto Hood.

Her guns don't go much damage but they never seem to bounce off me, always doing like 5-9k damage bow on. Annoying as hell.

3 things about the Hood's guns.  

1st, they have improved autobounce angles (same as USN CA's), where the hood's shells will not start to bounce until the impact angle is greater than 60 deg and guaranteed at 67.5 deg.

2nd,  They have shorter fuses, therefore detonating earlier than other BB caliber shells (this makes it harder to citadel a ship through the bow/stern) 

3rd, the 381 mm guns of the Hood (also the Warspite, Bayern, and Gneisenau) can overmatch the bows of all T7 and below BB's.

[BLNCE]
Members
13,459 posts
44,054 battles

Guns are meh, but very tanky and faaaassstttt. Enjoying mine so far, except for the constant presence of parasitic sky cancer. 

Edited by Taichunger

Members
7,086 posts

I think I'll enjoy mine more in 2 weeks when I know I didn't get (as badly) fleeced in the process. I expect I will play it a lot, given that it is likely to be the only British BC we see for a very long time. The fact that the premium camo from the missions is accurate to her last battle attire makes it more preferable than the ultra-premium version.

[BLNCE]
Members
13,459 posts
44,054 battles

I'm at 10 battles with %80 win rate.

Hood is quite well balanced, and the penetration has been quite acceptable. Citadels never show up, but if you maintain that chip damage it adds up fast. You can't play it like Amagi at range, you never hit or penetrate anything well. You also can't play it like a German and ambush face-roll people at close range, your alpha is incredibly unreliable in a pinch. The Hood's strength is in its ability to position and get 33% pens on weird targets, it flanks well at mid range. And I've found its armor poor, but not weak. If you are careful it will reward you with nothing higher than 8k incoming from tier 7-8 ships.

Great summary. That's what I've found too. Cruiser AP is brutal to it, I had a Pensacola doing more damage to me with AP than either of two other Hoods, when they were focus firing. 

[CALM]
Beta Testers
6,838 posts
6,088 battles

Hood plays well when played like a Kongou or Amagi, IMO.  Just with better rudder shift and gun angles.  Also extremely tanky.

Pretty nasty vs cruisers and some DDs, but only so-so vs battleships.  That said, she makes a great guided torpedo, and I've resorted to using her to ram battleships, to great success.

If I have complaints about her as far as current performance goes, it's that even with the dispersion-reduction module, she has an extremely wide spread (but low vertical spread) even if firing at the sharpest broadside angle possible.  Also, she really should have Warspite's Cruiser DC to rapidly and repeatedly mitigate fire/flooding, boosting her tankiness.

Aside from that, I still wish they didn't buff her traverse and instead buffed her guns/shells.  New gun performance and if necessary, 6crh shells, and/or superchargers (since she gets other ahistorical buffs anyway).

[SALT]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
3,679 posts
4,052 battles

Not gonna lie, It has odd troll armor.

I hit one broadside with Arizona with 9 shells, only 8k damage. He turns in at a near 45 degree bow on, I get 3 citadels and they all landed midships at 8km distance. So far though I've seen up's and downs with them and it seems fairly balanced for the most part.

[GWG]
Members
8,018 posts
15,874 battles

My last game, I sunk two Pensacolas and a New Mexico.  It finished the stage where I had to kill two battleships.

Got killed by a Warspite (bloody traitor)

And the earlier commenters are absolutely correct.  It plays like a Kongo.

Takes too long to kill a battleship with guns.  Ram the sucker.

On a happy note, when I'm doing the end damage final task, I switch around.

Ready for this....

I killed a Hood with a Dunkerque....     LOL

[FLEE]
Members
2,194 posts
4,953 battles

Funny that on the SEA server (the Premium store, that is) more people have bought the Kaga package (not available here.....yet) than the first Hood offering.

Maybe the expense or maybe there is an Asian preference for the IJN CV rather than the RN BB.

Whatever, I've bought the Hood over there...yet to really try it out. :)

[CALM]
Beta Testers
6,838 posts
6,088 battles

Funny that on the SEA server (the Premium store, that is) more people have bought the Kaga package (not available here.....yet) than the first Hood offering.

Maybe the expense or maybe there is an Asian preference for the IJN CV rather than the RN BB.

Whatever, I've bought the Hood over there...yet to really try it out. :)

To be fair, Kaga is actually one of the few ships they actually wanted, and in a form they were willing to pay for as well (as far as Japan goes; and unlike Mutsu).  It also helps she's the first Premium IJN CV, with her own unique ability that makes her OP in the right hands, as opposed to Hood which is a great tank, but only has T6 level offensive firepower.

Beta Testers
59 posts
4,557 battles

Ive had great games in the hood.  I also would've had great games in the nagato. Probably better really

It all depends on the mm. If it gives you cruisers to get your damages from once rng decides to let you wonky guns perform. 

Against bbs the ship is just down right frustrating to play.