Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
USSRichardNixon

Does Gearing need BFT more than Fletcher?

• You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

21 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Gearing's gun feels better but do they have similar arch and traveling time?

How about AFT?

Edited by USSRichardNixon

Same guns, just one more of them and better rate of fire. Does it need BFT? Meh ... 10% rate of fire increase doesn't seem worth the three points IMO, especially when you consider much better 3 point skills like Survivability Expert, Superintendent, Vigilance, and Demo Expert.

Same guns, just one more of them and better rate of fire. Does it need BFT? Meh ... 10% rate of fire increase doesn't seem worth the three points IMO, especially when you consider much better 3 point skills like Survivability Expert, Superintendent, Vigilance, and Demo Expert.

How about AFT?

Adrenaline Rush can substitute BFT

In addition it also gives you torp reload boost compared to BFT

My fletcher is a gun boat but with my gearing I built entirely for torpedoes because the ship takes more damage from hits, has a harder time avoiding damage, and loses to other tier 10 DDs in gun duels even built up. So basically the Gearing gets punished more for being detected and guns get dds detected now. 

How about AFT?

For USN DDs? Absolutely not!!

USN DD shell arcs make it so hitting at AFT ranges is near impossible. And with the recent concealment changes, your detection range when firing is equal to your gun range. On russian and IJN DDs, with their flat arcs, sure. On USN DDs, no no, absolutely no.

For USN DDs? Absolutely not!!

USN DD shell arcs make it so hitting at AFT ranges is near impossible. And with the recent concealment changes, your detection range when firing is equal to your gun range. On russian and IJN DDs, with their flat arcs, sure. On USN DDs, no no, absolutely no.

Yep, well said....   +1

This game is all about shells on target.  While there are arguments to be made for many different skill builds, I'll never understand the discussion that a flat 10% main battery reload (with a bonus +20% AA) is even remotely comparable to something like 2% fire chance.

BFT every, single, time, without question.

This game is all about shells on target.  While there are arguments to be made for many different skill builds, I'll never understand the discussion that a flat 10% main battery reload (with a bonus +20% AA) is even remotely comparable to something like 2% fire chance.

BFT every, single, time, without question.

It's relative, really. DE gives a 40% increased chance to light fires on USN DD shells due to their low base chance. So against BBs, it IS better since your shells alone won't do enough damage to matter. The 10% RoF will help against other DDs ... but you know what's even better against other DDs? Survivability Expert, the single most important 3rd tier captain skill for ANY USN DD. Seriously, if you're not taking SE on a USN DD, no one will take you seriously.

Aside from that, Superintendent means one more smoke and speed boost. Vigilance means spotting torps sooner in DD duels and when you're leading your team.

As for AA ... careful here as it's a double edged sword. Unless you're an AA specced DD, you want to keep your AA turned off as your AA range is higher than your air concealment range ... so firing at squadrons near you will get you spotted. Obviously, if you're playing an AA specced DD like the upcoming USS Kidd, then sure, BFT sounds like a great idea. But otherwise ... there are several other 3rd tier captain skills that are simply better.

It's relative, really. DE gives a 40% increased chance to light fires on USN DD shells due to their low base chance. So against BBs, it IS better since your shells alone won't do enough damage to matter. The 10% RoF will help against other DDs ... but you know what's even better against other DDs? Survivability Expert, the single most important 3rd tier captain skill for ANY USN DD. Seriously, if you're not taking SE on a USN DD, no one will take you seriously.

Aside from that, Superintendent means one more smoke and speed boost. Vigilance means spotting torps sooner in DD duels and when you're leading your team.

Right, and you can take three of the 3-point skills.  BFT should be one of them.  Fire damage against battleships looks pretty on WTR, but it's grossly over-rated when it comes to actually winning games, since most of it is simply healed back anyway.  Destroyers that actually put down a battleship completely generally do it with a majority of damage from torpedoes, aside from the abomination that is Khabarovsk.

Honestly, still not worth it for me. I wouldn't get 3 skills at that tier since there's so many better skills to get overall if you consider the tree as a whole. I mean, what would you sacrifice to get BFT? CE and RDF are essential for USN DDs. SE and Last Stand obviously. Priority Target and Preventative Maintenance are both more important than BFT. Hell, Adrenalin Rush is better bang for the buck than BFT given how much health you'll likely lose at the start of many matches when contesting early caps.

The change in detection distances a couple months ago has really made me reconsider building USN DDs into gun boats at high tiers. Their low effective gun ranges forces them to be very close to enemy ships so the guns are used much less until late in the game and USN torpedoes are pretty decent. 

Well, one advantage of the gun bloom changes is that you can skirt the edges of your gun range. Hence why you don't want to take AFT on USN DDs. So keep firing at ships right at the edge of your gun range, and when ships start turning their guns on your, just move a bit to the side, and poof, concealed once again.

Of course, this does depend on you being aware where all the enemy ships are.

CE and RDF are essential for USN DDs.

Yeah, I don't enough value in RDF for four points, especially compared to the three-point skills, so that's where we differ.

RDF is rather critical for a DD who's speciality is hunting other DDs if you ask me. We'll agree to disagree ;)

RDF is rather critical for a DD who's speciality is hunting other DDs if you ask me. We'll agree to disagree ;)

Good players usually know where enemy destroyers are by paying attention to the map, seeing enemy torpedo salvos in the water, and generally just having a good feel for the maps and where enemy players are going to be, even if they've yet to be spotted.  So sure, we'll agree to disagree.

Good players usually know where enemy destroyers are by paying attention to the map, seeing enemy torpedo salvos in the water, and generally just having a good feel for the maps and where enemy players are going to be, even if they've yet to be spotted.  So sure, we'll agree to disagree.

It's one think to THINK you know where the DD is. It's a completely different think to KNOW where he is.

No amount of skull will give you the information RPF does.

If you can constantly pair with CV-riding friend(s), BFT and AFT (I mean complete AA setup) is a valid option.

Based on my CV friend, AA setup US DDs are surprisingly annoying as hell.

If you can constantly pair with CV-riding friend(s), BFT and AFT (I mean complete AA setup) is a valid option.

Based on my CV friend, AA setup US DDs are surprisingly annoying as hell.

According to the ones i play with, they completely agree.

My Gearing (even though i don't play it, like ever) has AFT but not BFT. Not for the gun range, but for the extra AA bubble for my DF. 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0