StoneGullet

Hood fan club

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

23 posts in this topic

For those that have and those that will eventually get the hood. I personally like the ship. I am surprised how nimble she is with the rudder shift module. 10. Something seconds of rudder shift. 

People only look at the turning circle and think she's a whale in a turn. She's not - she actually turns very well.

Glad you guys enjoy her. Not buying her, myself. None of her appeals to me(historically or aesthetically) like the Arizona did so just gonna skip her. Also just waiting for the Harekaze so gotta save my money xD

I love her, can't wait for renown and repulse. 

I'm glad it's not a bad ship like it had the potential to be. I waited for the HMS Hood to come in game for some time, however I recently managed to get the Missouri and while I'd like to collect the Hood, practically I'm not sure I'd ever play her much let alone see a need to collect another premium ship in the game. To me, the $136 CAD just isn't worth it for a tier 7 BB. 

I'm glad it's not a bad ship like it had the potential to be. I waited for the HMS Hood to come in game for some time, however I recently managed to get the Missouri and while I'd like to collect the Hood, practically I'm not sure I'd ever play her much let alone see a need to collect another premium ship in the game. To me, the $136 CAD just isn't worth it for a tier 7 BB. 

​So you wait until June 7th and get the HMS Hood for 43.00 US  Dollars ...... 

People only look at the turning circle and think she's a whale in a turn. She's not - she actually turns very well.

That Texas sized turning circle will bite you is you are not paying attention but she is quite nimble for her size.

​So you wait until June 7th and get the HMS Hood for 43.00 US  Dollars ...... 

If anything, I'll wait until the Christmas event and see if I can get it for $3...lol. Otherwise, I have no need for more premium ships (I already have most of them to date through the Christmas event last year) and now with having the Missouri, all the hype means nothing to me. 

I am disappointed in Wargaming only offering one pricey package to buy her. Once more marketing fails and i will not pay the price they are asking for the package. I might pay the price for the ship only provided it is in line with other premium ships of the same tier. 

I can join the fan club. Im glad she is expensive otherwise we would be experienceing a hoodageddon much like the scharmageddon of last year.

I citadel'd a Hood with my Emile's 155mm guns!

I am disappointed in Wargaming only offering one pricey package to buy her. Once more marketing fails and i will not pay the price they are asking for the package. I might pay the price for the ship only provided it is in line with other premium ships of the same tier. 

Oh my gosh, FOR THE LAST TIME, the expensive one was the only one available immediately. Good lord, learn to read.

I was really worried i would regret the hood bundle but so far shes been awesome. her guns hit hard and are accurate and shes surprisingly tanky. I found it hard to switch back to other battleships after playing her.

I can join the fan club. Im glad she is expensive otherwise we would be experienceing a hoodageddon much like the scharmageddon of last year.

Lest we forget the Tirpocalypse too.

I was out in my North Carolina learning how to counter German BBs 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I like her! She's surprisingly tough and turns pretty good despite her loooong length. Her guns are kinda sub par for a VII but they get the job done and are as good as Dunkerque's for fire starting. Her secondary's are pretty weak, and that's my only real gripe about Hood.

She's definitely work getting!  :great:

Edit: She seems to catch on fire a lot more than most ships I've played. And I mean multiple fires, often.

Edited by ReddNekk

For some reason the Hood just clicks for me. I really enjoy playing her. I honestly think the guns are fine. I have no problems doing damage with them. So far my highest amount of damage I have done was 135k. She is a great ship. I think I like her slightly more than the scharnhorst cause I get in big trouble real quick in the scharn. Feel like the hood takes a more patient methodical approach in play.

Posted (edited) · Report post

The armor is sufficient provided you play smart.  I haven't eaten a mega-multi-citadel yet but I'm paranoid about her armor protection to try and prevent that.  Be smart in your angling and your sides, lots of guys are looking to test your armor.

Handling compared to her same tiered peers?  Speed is good, rudder shift time is good.  But the turning circle radius is wide.  The good rudder shift time is offset by Hood doing long, lazy wide turns.  Plan accordingly or be surprised by beaching yourself a lot.  Scharnhorst, Gneisenau, Colorado can work pretty well around islands.  Hood?  HELL NO, she's too clumsy if the area restricts her movements.  Open water sailing or using islands merely as a shield will work.

Haven't had a CV test my AA yet.

Main Battery?  Dispersion is so-so, not good but not German bad either.  However, according to the threats I face I rely on my shells as follows:

Cruisers - AP is good in crushing them, you can get multi-citadel hits with a good salvo.

tPOFqJW.jpg

Battleships - Unless you have favorable angles and short range, I have found Hood's AP extremely lackluster.  I expected the same AP power as Warspite.  With Tier VI Warspite I can rely on her AP to land some solid damage even against the likes of Bismarck, Tirpitz, etc.  For me on Warspite, it was a point of pride when I see those 2 German BBs push against me but you nail them hard with Warspite's AP.  I don't have that confidence in Hood's AP.  Unless I have the best possible parameters, my Hood's AP bounces and non-pens a lot.  I'm not talking overpens, bounces and non-pens.  Warspite isn't like that with her 15" guns.  As a result, I rely on HE rounds with her against VII+ BB threats.  It's a good thing Hood has 34% Fire Chance with her HE shells or she'd be in huge trouble.

Also, like Warspite, you need to give an extra bit of lead in your aim.  Otherwise your shots will fall behind the target.

Turret traverse is fine right now, especially since I got Expert Marksman.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Agree in principle but the company has to make money to keep the lights on and keep the game chugging along. Not too long ago there was a great vid posted showing just how much effort it takes to model these ships. Not cheap to have all of our comrades making these amazing floaty boats for us to shoot at.

Got the Hood this morning and played a few games in CoOp.  So far I'm enjoying the Hood.  No regrets on getting it other than the fully loaded bundle not coming with the hoods actual colors which is in the Ultimate package but not worth extra 20.00 to get IMHO.  I figured the grey camo will be available to get down the line or someone will make a mod for it so not worried about it.

I absolutely adore Hood. :3 Shes tough, fast, decent AA, agile, and her guns performance can be easily played around by engaging at ranges of about 15km or so and aiming for the enemy ships upper belt armor/superstructure, All in all, I am VERY happy with Hood. Shes not overpowered by any means and rewards players for thinking out actions ahead of time. But at the same time she is somewhat punishing of mistakes, but still matches up well with the other T7 ships. This is exactly what prems should be. ^^

I had my 1st game in her last night.  I came in expecting a ship like the Scharnhorst without the torps and she's proving to be quite reliable in that thought.  Long reload get's me though.  I'm enjoying her accuracy, but I still need to get some more games under my belt to learn about her guns.  I was a little shocked last night in my game out with her.  Came upon a enemy Alabama at 10km and caught her broadside.  2 shells pen, 3 shells shattered on her armor..  Really wasn't expecting that with her.  But again, probably user error.  I did a review of her and I'll put the link here, started the video at the gameplay in case anyone wants to watch but not listen to me ramble on forever about how I set the ship up lol