BlailBlerg

Will Kaga be competitive against Saipan and Hiryu?

• You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

38 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Especially Saipan?  Is it gonna be laughably bad when T6 planes go up vs T9?  
Second, did her odd torp spread get nerfed?  

It seems like Kaga does a great job deleting things. Which is very fun, and has enough planes to make up for losing them from being T6 planes... but is it gonna at least stand a chance against Saipan? 

Also seriously NA, why no hype for Kaga?  I'm so much more stoked about the IJN carrier that fought at midway than the Hood which got blown up spectacularly from RNG.  Also, its a CV premium!  And I've always wanted an IJN carrier that does what OP carriers should do.  Delete people.  =)

Edited by BlailBlerg

With dogfighting expert Kaga certainly will hold its own against Saipan

does it just trade quantity for quality in a AA fight with Saipan?  

Does Kaga's planes get wiped out by T8 T9 ship AA?  

Oh, and I forgot... Enterprise....  

It seems like Enterprise might be more well-rounded against all comers.  Also less squads probably easier to handle

It would be the classic showdown that IJN always face against USN AS specced CVs.  The USN planes are going to rip you apart no matter what, but that doesn't matter too much in the end.  

The game is about surface ships, not planes.

The Kaga will simply have to be very careful.  If the Kaga gets two, or maybe even one good strikes through, then the Kaga will out damage an AS Saipan.  It would be a difficult match to be sure.  Three fighter squads with extremely fast t9 fighters will make it very difficult to get those strikes through if the Saipan is good.  However, no one is perfect, and strikes will get through.

In the end, I think this match up will favor the skilled Kaga player for its ability to sink ships, at least for solo queue randoms.

Edited by Tembin

Kaga seems to have way more damage potential than Saipan. The slow airplane speed will gimp her (especially in the strafing department), but I'm not sure if that's enough to claim that she won't be competitive; in fact I'm sure that she will be. I'm fairly excited to see Kagas in game as I play my Saipan, we'll what they're made of. 

If the Kaga gets two, or maybe even one good strikes through, then the Kaga will out damage an AS Saipan

Why do you assume that Kaga will face a Saipan with an inferior AS loadout? You should be considering the worst-case scenario for Kaga, a 2/2 Saipan. Most players (and almost all good ones) run that loadout anyway. 

I went up against a Kaga in a strike Hiryu, and it was very competitive. Of course, it was captained by Femennenly, so that skews things.

it's a premium that they sell for $$

of course it will be competitive and possibly more than competitive and never nerfed

Edited by bad_arcade_kitty

I want it and yet I don't want a ship that all but forces me to fight Saipan.

I hate Saipan.

Dogfighting Expert will be pretty much mandatory.

Are you joking? Saipan will slaughter a Kaga with ANY loadout worse than the Marianas Turkey Shoot. Hiryu's planes don't stand a chance against them, so what on Earth makes you like planes a tier lower will fair any better?

A good Kaga captain will be able to run a potato Saipan empty if one is to believe CC videos. 

A good Kaga captain will be able to run a potato Saipan empty if one is to believe CC videos. 

And what about a good Saipan vs a good Kaga. I think that's the question. I mean hell a good Ryujo can beat a potato Saipan, so that's a pretty terrible point of reference.

And what about a good Saipan vs a good Kaga. I think that's the question. I mean hell a good Ryujo can beat a potato Saipan, so that's a pretty terrible point of reference.

Well let's just all bury our heads in the sand then. 

Im more concerned about the AA punishment Kaga's airgroups will suffer at the hands of Atlanta's, Clevelands and North Carolinas.

Every US CV that shows up as a fighter wh#$e is troublesome for IJN CV. However they are never able to totally shut down a decent IJN player, and the Saipan is very vulnerable to a strike from Kaga. Which may be the best way for a Kaga to deal with an enemy CV.

Well let's just all bury our heads in the sand then. 

How the hell is that "burying my head in the sand"? I'm curious how they match up assuming equal skill. The idea a potato can be beaten by an expert surprises nobody.

I mean, hell, a good Shimakaze can beat a potato Khabarovsk, but that doesn't mean Shimakaze itself is strong against Khabarovsk, now does it?

Edited by Destroyer_Kiyoshimo

Dogfighting Expert will be pretty much mandatory.

It already is on any carrier except for Ranger/Lexington. +10% fighter ammo for one captain skill point.

And oh wow, you're at nine Hiryu games now? Maybe by the end of the year you'll have a whole dozen! :trollface:

Saipan is very vulnerable to a strike from Kaga

Nonsense. A good Saipan player will never allow himself to be sniped (especially not by the tier 6 airplanes), and will kill every single enemy aircraft that was in the srike wave in the process.

And oh wow, you're at nine Hiryu games now? Maybe by the end of the year you'll have a whole dozen! :trollface:

Still stat-shaming, I see

You gonna tell me how to play Shimakaze while you're here, like last time? I mean, you have so many games in it and are so passionate about the IJN destroyer line, after all.

This

Plus let's remember kaga has super strike potential.  Play like OP IJN, keep the saipan fighters busy while you strike.

Will saipan strafe hurt? Yes.

Edited by OscarMike_

1 v 1, assuming 221 Kaga vs 220 Saipan, Kaga doesn't stand a chance against Saipan, because Saipan fighter/exit- strafe is over-powered right now, Saipan fighters are faster so they dictate where to fight, if Kaga fighter try to tag them, they just exit strafe without losing a single plane. 221 Kaga only has 3 attacker squadrons, and only the 2 TB sqaud is real threat, the DB squad only does half damage(of normal IJN DB squad) and won't be able to stack DOT. The Saipan can always use its 2 fighter squads to block(and kill, because Saipan fighers are a lot faster) the 2 TB squads of Kaga while Kaga Fighters cannot kill Saipan TB.

However, a real game is not 1v1. Kaga should use friendly AA to out-maneuver Saipan planes. Good CV players often division(with AA ships) to increase their advantage, it's more down to the team work.

Any skilled Saipan player will use strafe instead of just-tagging fighters, AFAIK, dog-fighting expert doesn't help low tier fighters with or against strafing. And Saipan doesn't lose a fighter when doing exit-strafing.

The numerical superiority of Kaga's TB will make cross drops against smaller ships ever more terrifying. It is very difficult to do so with a widely dispersed, smaller number that is with Saipan's. Exit stafing seems to only allow an attack on another group...not the fighters you are currently engaged with. Could be wrong of course. I am still yet to do it.

Edited by Sumkum

Exit stafing seems to only allow an attack on another group...not the fighters you are currently engaged with. Could be wrong of course. I am still yet to do it.

The point of exit strafing is to disengage from a bad fight, in Saipan's case, without any loss of fighters. And Saipan planes are faster so  that it's very difficult for the other player to do a counter strafe to catch the Saipan's strafing fighter squad.

You gonna tell me how to play Shimakaze while you're here, like last time?

Nah. Unless you want advice from a better Shima player, i.e. yours truly. But I kind of doubt that.

Nah. Unless you want advice from a better Shima player, i.e. yours truly. But I kind of doubt that.

Oh, you un-concealed your stats and the games in Shimakaze are actually showing. Fancy that. You are better in it than I am.

But no I don't need advice from someone like you. If I needed to learn how to shove my smug ego into the face of people who aren't as good as me and wait for them to shower me with affection, I'd move to California.

Back on topic: None of this addresses my question, and I fail to understand how my number of games in Hiryu has anything to do with "How does Kaga stack up to Saipan assuming equal skill" nor does it explain how "A potato can lose to an expert" answers that question.