Trevzor

Hood Bundles Feedback Mega Thread

• You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

277 posts in this topic

I already have the Bismarck, and I am not spending $100 on a virtual item.  WG failed with the staggered release.  Most dedicated BB players already have the Bismarck.

I will wait for the basic bare bones Hood.  Camo or not.  Having the historic Hood camo now signals to other players "I have more money than brains"......

It just now occurred to me that you could have try before you buy bundle for a reasonable price like $10$. WG gets paid for content. User gets the ship to do the mission with. Bundle might include ship port captain cammo signals and day of premium. I would get behind this idea and push. Anyone who could be salty about not being able to play the mission will find something else to complain over.

I would first like to say, i love warships. I love the historic side of things. But i can't afford to pay for such large package prices. I want the ship, and only the ship. don't punish people for wanting to do the Bismark hunt. I may not even have the money for the ship only package weeks from now. Please release the other packages now.

After a day, I was able to clearly gather my thoughts about this. 

When I started play WOT in 2012, I was dazed with premium vehicles. They weren`t OP (at that time) and had interesting characteristics like Lowe. Since I was so used to games such as AVA that is P2W, it was simply amazing. Imagine the time you see those cool ideas after being saturated with P2W bullet proof vests and OP guns that only can be obtained via gambling. So I thought that my payment will help the company and in the end benefit users, so I bought several vehicles in WOT and later, ships in WOWS. That faith made me to buy 38 premium tanks including Type 59 and Pz.IV Hydro and 15 premium ships including Sims and Yubari from starter pack. 

However Eugen incident made me rethink. I started doubt that does my purchase actually help the company. Before then I bought ultimate bundles since they had nice flags, doubloon and etc, but after Eugen I started not buying those anymore and just get the bare ship unless I had a good reason not to. So for me staggered release was the reason for me to cut budgets. Graf Spee incident were rather OK since we were able to obtain the ship for free and in the end WG released lower cost bundles early. At that time, I thought WG listen to player and get feed back. I was wrong.

Now with this Hood incident, I think WG said sorry during Spee incident was just to avoid that very situation. No release of bare ship before the event clearly states that this is a money grab since there are missions that only can be achieved using Hood. Of course we can run the campaign without Hood, but that doesn`t hide the fact that this staggered release is a attempt for a money grab. 

I loved your games since 2012, and honestly still loves them, but the joy and excitement that WG is different with money chasing company and worth investing is now gone thus make me to decrease putting money in to the game. Staggered release might boost income for a while but I think it`s shooting on your foot for long run. Well, I guess I`ll never know about that since I have no access to your marketing statistics. 

First time (Eugen incident) can be testing. Second time (Spee incident) can be mistake. However third time (on going Hood incident) doing this, I can`t think it`s testing or mistake. It`s clear attempt of money grab and can`t be excused with words 'testing' or 'mistake'. There is an old saying that building a good reputation is hard and takes time, but destroying them is easy and can be done quick. Now, trust that you built on me for 5 years is some what decayed a lot with those incidents, not to mention lies about free experience and gold exchange between WG titles. BTW don`t say it`s technically difficult, since we all know gold and free exp in WOT and WOWP are interconnected so there`s no good reason not to for WOWS. 

I`m so sad that game is so awesome, but marketing alone destroy all the reputation that the game built. Please, think about users who play the game since without players, game can`t stand alone. 

Trevzor, there will always be those crying because they don't want to spend money on a game that is in the end a business that needs to make money.  However there can be poor business decisions if they lead to WG actually making less because of them.  As someone who has spent quite a bit on this game I have to direct your attention to this comment about paying customers feelings regarding the bundle release as it is:

The problem with this staggered release is that it is unfriendly to paying customers.  I have bought a year long premium plan, so I have no need for the premium time in the bundle.  I have doubloons, so I have little for them.  I have many premium ships, so I have little need for a premium credit grinder.  So being charged 100$ for all these things I don't need or want to get started on this much hyped campaign is a no-go.  I'm not buying something filled with things I don't need.  I want the Hood, but I have to buy it later, but that means I'd have to run through your campaign the hard way at first, or not play the game at all until I get the Hood to breeze through the shortcuts, and I feel like I've opted for the latter.  

This staggered release system has created a bizarre incentive to not play the game when the exciting new content is out.

The $100 bundle is actually pretty fairly priced for what it entails, however just because it is a good bundle doesn't mean it is the right bundle for everyone.  Especially those players who routinely spend decent amounts of money here.  For many of them doubloons, premium time, etc just are not incentives as they already are swimming in them.  So in effect the incentive of the hood campaign missions is being held behind a $50 wall to them because they had the gall to buy other products from WG.

So as odd as it sounds, what WG has done by this staggered release being tied to the campaign missions, is turned off many of the very players who have previously dropped such large sums of money to pick up some pricey bundles.  I would posit that when a business practice turns off a customer bracket that is normally a reliable revenue generator, that the loss of their trust/confidence needs to be measured against the potential sales the contentious practice may generate.  

Just me thoughts on the issue.  It isn't the price, it isn't the staggering, it isn't the mission timing.  It is the negative impact the pricing does to WG's best customers BECAUSE of the staggering in conjunction with the missions timing.  

I'm ok with it Wargaming.  I did also buy the ultimate bundle.  My logic is, my dollars are helping game development, thus making it possible for warships to be a free-to-play game.  I'm not here to Pay to Win.  But by giving some money I have Paid so Others can Play.

I do hope Hood gets another balans pass comrades.  I'd say its competitive with T5 in its current state. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Sad really customers willing to pay 50$ to you are not good enough to receive every benefit. You have to try and wring 100$ if you'd made the ship 30$ and offered it at the start of the missions you'd be swimming in cash.

Edited by Cirdane

Wow, alright... let me see if I can articulate my feels.  I normally shut the feels off cause they tend to run amuck.  With my background in sales, i completely understand why the bundles are being released the way they are.  I mean, it makes complete sense.  Let me see if I can divide up my feelings:

The Good

• You have set four good price points with a lot of appeal for each.  Awesome!  I'm very glad to see this.  I am really liking the options provided at each price point -- there's something for players depending on their budget and buying habits.
  • You have very clearly laid out when which bundles will be available, including making a very large time window to grab the price point of your choice.  The bundles will sell for a total of 3 weeks (Ultimate for 3, Fully Loaded for 2, Deluxe for 1) and then the a la carte version will sell for two seeks subsequent to that.  Hats off!
  • I do like that the least expensive option has been saved to the end.  For those players who have to work within the confines of a budget, this gives them plenty of time to save up.

The Bad

• Wargaming has created an artificial need and a sense of urgency with the Hunt the Bismarck campaign.  To complete select mission goals in the campaign, some players may be "priced out" due to time constraints and real-life requirements conflicting.  While I suspect the amount of time the average consumer (not player -- I'm talking about people that buy premiums) is likely to have been considered, I wonder how closely this value was looked at and what the anticipated sales totals were with this release type.  I get that the intention is to up-sell customers based on the urgency of the campaign -- especially with such a large window to acquire the ship after the fact.  I don't pretend to have access to the sales figures to make sense of this.  I can say that it feels high pressure and that may breed resentment.  I am sure this fact was considered in a risk assessment.

The Ugly

• My port doesn't have a Hood in it.

-edit-

SUGGESTION:  The next time a premium is going to be tied to a campaign, slide the release schedule over.  Sell the Ultimate Bundle the week before the campaign begins.  Have the Fully Loaded become available as the campaign begins, the Deluxe 2 weeks in and then allow the a la carte version be sold towards the tail end of the campaign.  Advertise well in advance what the mission requirements will be like so people can work out a time budget and then easily figure out which bundle is best for them to accomplish their play-goals.

Best post yet about this.

There really is nothing wrong, immoral or unfair about a staggered release.  Its sort of like the newest greatest I-Phone release, people are willing to pay a LOT more for it when it's first released and then, relatively, the phone gets less and less expensive until pretty much anyone who wants it will buy it.  There's nothing really all that different going on here. 

Except for the Bismark campaign.  

And the fact that the vanilla ship will be offered only after the campaign is all over.

That's where I thought the designers of the Spee campaigns got this right.   They gave you a choice, work the hunt of the Spee campaign and get it for free or spend the cash and do the Christmas convoy.  Now the nifty thing about this was that it really wasn't an either/or kind of thing.  You could, if you moved through the Spee campaign quickly enough, earn the Spee and work your way up the Christmas convoy, at least part of the way. 

I took the Hunt for the Spee route, wound up with my free Spee and managed to score the Leander with permanent camo as well.  I was a happy camper.

Others weren't so pleased but a free game giving you free premium ships, what exactly is there not to like? 

Anyway, I think that if the designers for this campaign had moved the release dates for the Hood up by a week or two as Mouse is suggesting, they might have avoided a lot of the problems they are currently having and would probably have boosted the sales of the vanilla Hood by a good margin while retaining a strong incentive for those that just have to have the Hood right now to purchase her at the premium price.  That would be, I think, more of a win win situation for everyone.  

I'm in agreement with a lot of the sentiments shared here.  I was excited for the Hood.  I was ready to shell out money for it.  I know this 'delayed release' of the regular ship in order to capitalize on impatient players has happened before, and while I still find that distasteful, it didn't bother me too much.  There are 2 things (or, since they're connected, maybe one thing) that make this different and FAR more unacceptable to me.  First, the fact that this is blatantly coupled with the Hood-specific Bismarck missions to try and force people to buy it at the inflated price.  This just comes off as exceptionally greedy.  Second, the sheer length of time between initial release and release of the standalone.  Three weeks is a ridiculous amount of time, far worse then the other times you've pulled this scheme.  Frankly, even if this wasn't so egregious, you're just pushing away players like me who happily give you money but can't afford to drop $100 at a time.  

As it is, my enthusiasm for buying this ship went from 100 - 0 as soon as I saw this bundle nonsense and realized the motivation behind it.  Now I'm not going to be purchasing the Hood at all, and the friends I've spoken to who play WoWs feel the same way.  If WG has any integrity at all, pay attention to the community's feelings on this.  We're happy to give you money to get more ships in this great game, but a lot of wallets are being closed because of this cash grab.

Wow, alright... let me see if I can articulate my feels.  I normally shut the feels off cause they tend to run amuck.  With my background in sales, i completely understand why the bundles are being released the way they are.  I mean, it makes complete sense.  Let me see if I can divide up my feelings:

The Good

• You have set four good price points with a lot of appeal for each.  Awesome!  I'm very glad to see this.  I am really liking the options provided at each price point -- there's something for players depending on their budget and buying habits.
  • You have very clearly laid out when which bundles will be available, including making a very large time window to grab the price point of your choice.  The bundles will sell for a total of 3 weeks (Ultimate for 3, Fully Loaded for 2, Deluxe for 1) and then the a la carte version will sell for two seeks subsequent to that.  Hats off!
  • I do like that the least expensive option has been saved to the end.  For those players who have to work within the confines of a budget, this gives them plenty of time to save up.

The Bad

• Wargaming has created an artificial need and a sense of urgency with the Hunt the Bismarck campaign.  To complete select mission goals in the campaign, some players may be "priced out" due to time constraints and real-life requirements conflicting.  While I suspect the amount of time the average consumer (not player -- I'm talking about people that buy premiums) is likely to have been considered, I wonder how closely this value was looked at and what the anticipated sales totals were with this release type.  I get that the intention is to up-sell customers based on the urgency of the campaign -- especially with such a large window to acquire the ship after the fact.  I don't pretend to have access to the sales figures to make sense of this.  I can say that it feels high pressure and that may breed resentment.  I am sure this fact was considered in a risk assessment.

The Ugly

• My port doesn't have a Hood in it.

-edit-

SUGGESTION:  The next time a premium is going to be tied to a campaign, slide the release schedule over.  Sell the Ultimate Bundle the week before the campaign begins.  Have the Fully Loaded become available as the campaign begins, the Deluxe 2 weeks in and then allow the a la carte version be sold towards the tail end of the campaign.  Advertise well in advance what the mission requirements will be like so people can work out a time budget and then easily figure out which bundle is best for them to accomplish their play-goals.

Or you know just sell the Ship in all bundles at the same time? This isnt rocket science.

Wow.  After going through this thread, WG is out around 3 thousand dollars because of a very poor business decision.  No matter how much you make here, you are OUT that money.  Probably more if you take into account people who wanted the Hood but don't come on the forum and cannot afford the 100 dollar bundle.  What a shame.  The easy solution here would have been putting ALL the bundles and bare bones hood up for sale today for 24 hours with the knowledge that only the 100 dollar bundle will get you through the hood missions.  After 24 hours, you can than stagger the release over several weeks.  The historical camo should be in ALL the hood packages...why?  Because it is historical,  that is why.  

I just don't understand any business that doesn't take into account ALL of their customers.  Did you really think that people would pay the extra 50 or 60 bucks even though they couldn't afford it?  Anyone who thought that should be fired immediately for stupidity. 

You have all kinds here, cash cows, fixed incomes, college students, high school students, strict budgets, etc. The age difference spans 60 years+.  How many games online can claim that?   It really is NOT that hard to take them ALL into account when doing things like this so you get every cent possible.  To use technical issues as an excuse is beyond belief.  Plain and simple, that is hogwash. 

It is clear from all of the responses here, that WG does not understand it's customer base.  Nor do you seem to care.  One can only wonder how much money you have LOST over the years.  This is NOT a good business model.

In case you haven't noticed, there are a ton of games online and they ALL want our money.  What are you willing to do to make sure you get the lions share of it?

I too am passing on the Hood because of this nonsense, and if the Kaga and Enterprise are done this way, no way on those two either...and I can afford it.    So it's really up to WG now.  You can MAKE more money, or continue to make these horrible business decisions and LOSE money.   The answer is extremely simple.  BUT....probably too hard for whoever makes these decisions.

Edited by BaronVonTom

BaronVonTom --- Right on, to all of it.

I just don't understand any business that doesn't take into account ALL of their customers.  Did you really think that people would pay the extra 50 or 60 bucks even though they couldn't afford it?  Anyone who thought that should be fired immediately for stupidity. 

It seems that WG staff wanted people to 'BUY In' to the campaign in the staggered times.  You HAD to have the Hood to do the campaign; that was the idea.  You could plunk down the $100 bucks and get a head start, or wait to spend $80 or $50 till just the Hood was offered.  Instead, because they could not get the tech to work out right, EVERYONE gets to do the Hood mission.  Result: 100+ Battleships in queue.  Destroyers, the good ones, are having the Feast of Sharks with this.

I took my Bismark out earlier today.  Faced two Hoods head on with a Hipper backing them up.  I dispatched the two Hoods with a total loss of 1/3 if my HP, and took out the Hipper with the secondaries, after eating two of his torps.  I am wondering if Hood is even worth it now.  I have yet to see any Hood make the top 5 on a winning team.

Edited by Trapster99

First and foremost I appreciate the work that you all put into this game, I have been playing since closed beta and have happily spent money on premium time & ships that I enjoy.

I for one like the addition of campaigns however releasing a ship for the campaign and locking it behind a $100 USD bundle is unreasonable in mine and many others opinions. Sure the bundles do have an added value in form of premium time, flags ect.. BUT all packages should be released at the same time. I'm sure you still would have sold many of the $100 bundles had you given us that choice.  I for one planned on purchasing the fully loaded bundle with intent to play it during the historical campaign but with the staggered release once again I decided my money is best spent elsewhere and bought a few great games on steam. Until you guys wake up and realize that this the wrong way to get us to part with our hard earned money I for one will not  be spending a single dollar any more..

This is the age of the consumer WG and without us spending our money you'd be sunk..

Edited by RollinxCoal

I believe ALL bundles as well as the naked ship should be released together so EVERYONE has the opportunity to play the Hunt and do the HOOD-specific Tasks, not penalize those who truly play for free and don't get the Hood until the day the Hunt ends. I had this issue with the Graf Spee as well. I specifically bought the Warspite (BEST PURCHASE EVER!) to train up the captain for the Hood. Now I'll keep training while I wait to get the ship on June 7.

Edited by Willy55_1955

I think it causes a lot of disappointment in people who are willing to buy the ship, hear it will be released soon or at a certain date, and then suddenly realize they have to wait a month because they don't have Ultimate prices budgeted for the purchase. It puts a very bad taste in the mouths of people who usually are willing to support you. You can argue about patience and the economic logic surrounding this scheme and its value proposition, but people are generally neither patient nor logical, so end the end you just end up souring people's taste for this company with such a bad long term PR cash stunt. 

While I am a ship collector, I cannot justify the purchase of a $100 pixel. I have a significant number of ships including Bismarck and while I am playing the Bismarck missions, in which at the end all I will get is the credit equivalent of the Bismarck.

I would have hoped that in the end of the Mismark missions that if the player already have Bismarck they would instead get the Hood. Even now, I cannot really justify the expensive purchase even at lower prices, so I will put the Hood on the wish list to obtain one day.

I will instead finish up working the German DD lines and the remainder of the German ships that I need to finish out and save up for the Hood when she will eventually goes on a fire sale.

I only have one issue with the hood, is the price for canadians, right now the most expensive bundle is $135 CAD or so, and if it wasnt 30% off, it would be basically $200 CAD. I dont even buy premium time for this game as well because of the same reason i am not buying hood. Yes i understand conversion and all that, but its still quite bad for canadian players as it quite literally milks the money out of us. 

I just bought the $100 bundle. VERY satisfied with it. Just wish I had the Bismarck to go along with it. But soon...real soon. :)

Ah you'd of made more if you offered a 100$ for the top enders and 30$ for the casual players. Artifical punishments for people willing to give you money is only going to profit you by reducing your sever load.........

Seeing as how one of the reasons suggested for the bundling of the hood was that some campaign missions may be completed faster with the ship. Could these campaign missions be unlocked for people that have completed the campaign?

I would like to just finish up the 7 Hood tasks I have left before the campaign ends, but I have no plans of buying the ship.

Having staggered releases is annoying enough when it happens...  But having the event end before the last bundle is offered, preventing us from trying our shiny new battleship in said event is just not cool man.

Not cool at all.

That is all from me.

What am I missing? It seems like it's fairly easy to complete the free Bismarck campaign under normal play, I can keep the Hood camos until the proce point I want is available. The only thing I'm missing out on is the honors badge for the campaign that literally only I will know about? 

I appreciate that WGNA chose not to bloat out the prices of the bundles with credits, which many players do not need. Because of this, I may consider buying one of the smaller Hood bundles. I think many people are not accounting for the fact that any Hood purchased before the end of the event offsets some its own cost by unlocking 7 Big Containers through the in-game campaign (cash value: around $21). On the other hand, I do believe it is in somewhat poor taste to make the basic Hood available AFTER the campaign ends, because that essentially robs it of a large amount of its in-game value.