You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Halrian187

HMS Hood Inaccuracy...why did i even bother?

17 comments in this topic

[FDJED]
Members
5 posts

The HMS Hood is Very Inaccurate in one aspect....It doesn't have torpedo tubes.... But it did in real life.   Why did i even bother picking it up then?  

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,538 posts
12,810 battles

The torpedo tubes were fixed, this was a known fact that in game she wasnt fitted with tubes.

Members
7,086 posts

The HMS Hood is Very Inaccurate in one aspect....It doesn't have torpedo tubes.... But it did in real life.   Why did i even bother picking it up then?  

Fun fact: the majority of battleships in WoWs mounted torps of one sort or another, in their hulls. Hood is no different. However, outside Mutsu, hull-mounted torpedoes have not been implemented, and there is no indication that they will ever become the norm. Honestly, considering how ridiculously situational Mutsu's torps are, and that WG would have had to take something away from the Hood we received in order to grant them to you (shorter range, less resilient hull, no personal AA sledgehammer), I think you should feel lucky they aren't there.

[X-PN]
Beta Testers
792 posts
13,519 battles

The Hood was previewed extensively therefore this shouldn't be a surprise!

[CDOGZ]
Beta Testers
702 posts
4,530 battles

Go watch the Mighty Jingles video on the hood, then you'll understand about the torpedo tubes.

• Cool 1

[WOLF7]
Members
12,620 posts

Because you didn't bother to read or ask questions before buying?
Edited by awiggin

[ERN]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,906 posts
4,896 battles

And here is someone that didn't do his research before buying.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
16,312 posts
23,671 battles

The torpedo tubes were fixed, this was a known fact that in game she wasnt fitted with tubes.

​They were also horrible. Nothing else in the game would even come close to how bad they were.

[FDJED]
Members
5 posts

Because you didn't bother to read or ask questions before buying?

I have never inncounter such an inacurracy in WoWs before with premium ships there for i didnt...And i should have asked around...

[_TKS_]
Members
869 posts
25,994 battles

Maybe because you like the overall history of the ship and wanted to use it in a game that you enjoy playing? I swear. If they included EVERY piece of a ship, completely to scale and designed to the detail, someone would complain that the ship was just a shade too dark on the gray or that the rust near the stern 5 feet above the starboard propeller is a wee bit too orangey. Be happy with a game that looks good, has ships that are interesting to play and are for the most part historically accurate. Either that or maybe some really good meds will include in your mind whatever is missing visually from the game.

• Cool 1

Members
31 posts
16,265 battles
had 3 games in her and to me she is very fun ship . I know her dispersion can be hair pulling but any bb can do that to you . just take a break from her and let the hype settle down some and try her again

[NDA]
Supertester
3,926 posts
2,681 battles

I have never inncounter such an inacurracy in WoWs before with premium ships there for i didnt...And i should have asked around...

An 'inaccuracy' that is present in all USN BBs and most other pre-WWII BBs in-game.  WG doesn't use fixed torpedo tubes.  Mutsu got hers because they are aimable1 and therefore work with the torpedo systems in-game.  Also, Hood's underwater tubes were removed, and the above-water ones were supposed to have been removed in her delayed refit, which she never got.

1Yeah, I know the arcs suck, but they are still there.

[HINON]
Members
7,797 posts
2,144 battles

Because fixed torpedo tubes are no modelled in game. In fact, most Battleships had theirs removed during modernization.

[NO2BB]
Members
3,885 posts
24,515 battles

Why did i even bother picking it up then?  

Because you are driven by impulse and don't research things.

Members
707 posts
4,742 battles

Historical equipment aside, why would you want 5km torpedoes in a ship with a 910m turning radius, a length of 260m and poor secondaries? 

[FDJED]
Members
5 posts

I will take a moment to say that 5 games in now and She is alot more fun then i first expected.  I still want my torps. but ill live.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
3,985 posts
2,373 battles

IMHO fixed or not, the above-water (thus conventionally vulnerable) placement of Hood's torps should've justified their inclusion.

The bathtub boats from the 2016 April Fool's event demonstrated that the game engine is perfectly capable of allowing torps to be aimed via gyro from fixed mounts.  It seems like the only reason WG chose not to include them was fear that they would run contrary to Hood's "intended playstyle".

I fully intend to purchase Hood.  Still, I would've happily done without the ludicrously buffed traverse speed and special AP characteristics (that aren't even made apparent in the port stats) if it meant she could have a couple Campbeltown-level torps per side.  They would be extremely situational, probably with firing angles similar to Mutsu (or worse), but I don't care.

I have zero complaints about prioritizing balance over historical accuracy.  What's irritating is when balance seems to take a backseat to 'flavor', while any sense of realism gets discarded entirely.  Others may not agree, but I find it infinitely more satisfying to play a weaker ship that feels like a balanced reflection of its actual capabilities, as opposed to a powerful one that feels more like it was shoehorned into filling a contrived niche.