The_African_Queen

Invisibility needs to be removed from the game.

• You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

186 posts in this topic

Right then...let's calm down slightly, shall we? 

Let's not. I like to see OP's head explodes from rage. Figuratively, of course.

And of course OP is not saying DDs are OP. He's saying DDs are causing him harm and are not easy auto-kills for him. Tiny ships without armor or big guns logically should be food to big ships with thick armor and huge guns, right? I mean, why would anyone wants to play BB if it's not the case?

Hey I have an idea for how you can see how wrong you are first hand. Go play a DD... and constantly fire your guns so everyone can see you just fine. Let us know how fun that is for you, because when you say remove stealth entirely that's the gameplay experience you're saying DDs should have. Always spotted. Always a target. No sneaking. No ambush.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Content moderated by JayStark02

That's not what you said, stupid. You said that as soon as anyone nerfs a destroyer (speaking specifically about DDs, not any other classes) they start whining, implying that DD players are the coddled, OP class. When did you say anything about you hating all classes whining about their favorite ships? 

Or maybe you said something and I missed it because of your horrible, first-grade level grammar...

Roasting aside, you're whining about whiners?

Edited by JayStark02

Right then...let's calm down slightly, shall we? 

Sure! I'm totally not pouring gas on the fire there...^

Edited by SgtSullyC3

Sure! I'm totally not pouring gas on the fire there...^

lAD8UMs.jpg?1

Hey I have an idea for how you can see how wrong you are first hand. Go play a DD... and constantly fire your guns so everyone can see you just fine. Let us know how fun that is for you, because when you say remove stealth entirely that's the gameplay experience you're saying DDs should have. Always spotted. Always a target. No sneaking. No ambush.

I don't think OP is willing or able to understand this. Nor does he care about one else's experience playing any ship. He cares about only his experience in his ship. Period. Edited by chewonit

DDs are like... several times larger than they are irl in game. You think hitting them NOW is bad? If DDs were scaled in size properly you'd be tearing your eyes out in frustration even if you could see them all the time.

USS Edsall got fired at by a whole IJN surface task group of BBs, CLs, and CAs, for HOURS and dodged it all, getting close enough to fire torps which almost hit, and even close enough to fire its own guns at extreme range. The IJN had to send out "26 Type 99 divebombers" to disable Edsall before the surface force resumed fire and finally sank the Clemson class.

Edited by Destroyer_Radford

1FGEw.jpg

C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S ! !

This is the best part of this entire post!

(but don't keep us in suspense; WHAT HAPPENS TO RED LOBSTER!?!?!?!

Edited by Umikami

My Kagerou says Hi and reminds you that except for it's Stealth she doesn't have anything else. Her speed is low, the guns are crap, not as many Torps as the USN ships, only the Concealment is good. So let her have that at least.

DD's are the counter to BB's.  Working as intended.

Actually, not working at all.  Notice the OP said he dodged six salvos of toprs, not mentioning getting hit by one torp.  Imagine how happy he'd be if he regularly went 0 for 6 salvos in your BB.   Really, with the reload times being so high for torps it would be more like 12-15 salvos in a BB. 

OP wants the game to be World of Battleships because he can't handle that different ship types have different strengths and weaknesses. Concealment tactics is a real thing in naval warfare, and it should be reflected in game and in real life, a BB is detected long before a DD. As it is they took away concealed gunfire from DD's, so stop sailing your BB in a straight line and learn some defensive tactics or otherwise face the fact you're going to be outplayed all the time.  

Look at real life... During the battle off Samar the Johnston charged the center force alone and during her torpedo run she was under fire and didn't get hit once.. she only got hit after getting into CQB range of Kongou. So if you want destroyers to be spotted all the time then good luck hitting them. 

The captain of the Kongo would have a WoWS BBaBBy. After the engagement he swore up and down that he was attacked by a CL and a CA instead of a DE and a DD. Literally turned tail and ran.

I just had a battle with a DD and my BB. During this battle I dodged 6 salvos of torpedoes without ever catching sight of my opponent who didn't use smoke at any point. This was no fun, totally unrealistic and frustrating as hell. My secondaries should have blown him away despite the massive nerfing of them by Wargaming. Invisibility is ruining the game. Every feature in the game favours DDs. I didn't join this game to play DDs though I do play them. The changes made to make ships appear breifly were a joke as is the hopeless sighting rules.

OK, everyone has given OP a load of grief, and that's probably not all that helpful.

(and, yes; I know I am not known for being extra helpful, but I'm trying)

I think these tactics may help you dodging both DD's and their torps:

1. BB's are not meant to be played solo, so stay with a friendly cruiser (or two) to help scare enemy DD's away.

2. Use minor changes in both course and speed often, this really screws up a DD's aim.

3. Battleships are herd beasts; if you are by yourself you are vulnerable, STAY WITH THE HERD!

4. Head On is GOOD; Broadside is BAD.

There have to be about a thousand YouTube videos on how to BB, and how to BB in every BB in the game; watch some and try what they do.

Trust me, avoiding torps from DD's ain't all that hard; THE GUYS I PLAY AGAINST DO IT ALL THE TIME, LOL!!

Good Luck, (calm down), Have Fun, Enjoy!

Every time a BB player opens their mouth, I swear an Angel loses their wings.    

On a Serious note,  the game isn't dying due to the population stats people always seem to bring up.  It's dying (skill wise) due to the pure incompetence of the player base.

Edited by Shadowrigger1

4a43c20f774c23b86f8fc8f947733ceb_i-find-

Hq8lb06.jpg 

The nautical horizon is much closer than you think it is. 2.9 miles (4.6km) for an observer at sea level. Trying to observer an object at sea level.

This horizon will get further away depending on the height ASL for the observer and the object being observed. (Hence the in game formula that directly relates the base concealment on most ships to mast height.

ORaLUOc.png

Not that I understand any of this math. I am just an engine technician after all... Not an engineer.

But, I know there are some engineers and statistics guys on the forums that will be able to dig into this for you. (Vak_, where are you, lol?)

NO !!!

Please don't equate this to real life.

If the DD can spot the Battleship, then reciprocally, the Battleship can spot the destroyer.  In fact, the Battleship has better optics and a steadier platform.

And in the Battle off Samar, the Johnston used SMOKE and RADAR for most of it's accurate fire.

The US Electric Fire Control system was a Top Secret system, like the Norden Bomb sight, Proximity Fuse, and Atomic bomb.

On the other hand, the US Torpedo Firing mechanism was so secret at the start of WW2 that there were no live fire tests..  We know how that turned out.

I just had a battle with a DD and my BB. During this battle I dodged 6 salvos of torpedoes without ever catching sight of my opponent who didn't use smoke at any point. This was no fun, totally unrealistic and frustrating as hell. My secondaries should have blown him away despite the massive nerfing of them by Wargaming. Invisibility is ruining the game. Every feature in the game favours DDs. I didn't join this game to play DDs though I do play them. The changes made to make ships appear breifly were a joke as is the hopeless sighting rules. 

It wasn't long ago that same DD could have pelted you with HE as well.  WG changed that.

Look on the bright side.  That DD was effectively neutralized by YOU.  He could not fire his guns without detection, so all he had was his Torps.  And those had to be launched from outside his detection range, which makes your WASD much more effective.  On the flip side, WASD notwithstanding, you could engage anyone else spotted and in range with your main guns and secondaries.  So, in aggregate, you neutralized while you were still effective elsewhere. Not as effective than if the DD wasn't stalking you.  But effective nonetheless. 

The whole is more effective than the sum of its parts.  An effective anti-DD strategy involves teamwork as well as experience.  This is a puzzle to be solved.  Half the fun of this game is figuring out how to solve these puzzles...and then using the experience ongoing to make yourself a more effective player.  There are several ways to crack the DD stealth torp nut.  

I agree that it is very frustrating when it happens. I've been very frustrated by similar things in this game where I feel somewhat helpless against an enemy that seems to have all the advantages over me.  But turn that frustration into figuring out how to beat it.  There is a lot of satisfaction when you get there.  And once you get there, it's YOU who gets to turn the table...and squash those nasty DDs like they deserve to be squashed.

Caveat:  That last phrase is in jest.  I love DDs players.  Really, I do.  They've pulled my feet out of the fire (literally) many times.   

Edited by Soshi_Sone

You must be new around here.

Instead of asking for a game mechanics change, perhaps you can attempt to improve your own gameplay?

Those WASD keys are there for a reason, use them. I'm guessing you probably potato along in a straight line until you see those torps coming at you. Changing speed and heading randomly IRL Is a tactic to avoid torpedo attack. Surprisingly it actually works in this game too.

Also try to not sail alone, if you're with your teammates then they will actually do a ton of spotting for you.

"Imprvose, adapt and overcome"

This just in...

DDs are supposed to counter BBs

If you going to wonder off alone you need to have the mentality to know there will most likely be a DD coming for you, or at least torpedoes.  I'mm guessing instead of retreating you went at the source of the torpedoes.  Live and learn.  

The nautical horizon is much closer than you think it is. 2.9 miles (4.6km) for an observer at sea level. Trying to observer an object at sea level. 

This horizon will get further away depending on the height ASL for the observer and the object being observed. (Hence the in game formula that directly relates the base concealment on most ships to mast height.

ORaLUOc.png

Not that I understand any of this math. I am just an engine technician after all... Not an engineer.

But, I know there are some engineers and statistics guys on the forums that will be able to dig into this for you. (Vak_, where are you, lol?)

The fact that they stop at relating visibility to mast height is what makes the system so artificial. They're leaving out anything to do with the height of the observer.

If you were sitting in a dinghy at sea level, then yes, a DD would become visible at a much closer distance than a BB. BUT, the BB would spot the dinghy well before the DD.

For all practical purposes, if you can spot an enemy, they can spot you, regardless of the difference in mast heights.

But to be that realistic removes a way by which ships and classes can be balanced. So even though our concealment ratings are not reflective of reality, I have no problem with it, because it serves a necessary purpose.

Same with DD vs. BB. I'm no expert, but IRL, I'm of the opinion that on a clear day with a calm sea, (basically weather conditions in game) a DD has little chance against a BB. But in a game without organised teamwork, where doing damage is the key to good rewards, every ship needs a way to consistently deal that damage against any ship type.

TBH, I think WG does a pretty good job of arranging things so that different classes have different strengths and weaknesses.

Every feature in the game favours DDs. I didn't join this game to play DDs though I do play them. 

Please explain how, with only 79 battles in DD's out of a grand total of 1,118 total battles, you find that statement to be true.  

:unsure: