Ulthwey

A tiny experiment. Want to play tier 8? Get matched against tier Xs in 11/11 games

• You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

69 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Normally I can put up with the wonderful piss pour excuse for an abortion that WG titles "matchmaking". This past weekend however, I decided to play tier 8s to check just how bad the matchmaking is for this particular tier - and I was simply appalled by what I just experienced. I played 11 games in a row in a tier 8, and got tier X matchmaking in all 11/11 games that I played. I played solo, during about 6-7pm central time when there are plenty of people online so server depopulation is NOT supposed to be an issue. Nevertheless, in 11/11 games I ended up being bottom tier.

In regards to win/loss ratio, that is not a concern at least for myself. However what I experienced did strike a nerve in particular to the extend to which tier 8 is f*cked over in this game. According to WG matchmaking is working the way it should ... so yea, apparently sh*tting on its players without having the decency of calling it rain is the new norm for WG.

Just fyi ...

Edited by Ulthwey

Tier 8 and Tier 5 are often the uptiered tiers.  If you don't want to be bottom tier, don't play those tiers.

Normally I can put up with the wonderful piss pour excuse for an abortion that WG titles "matchmaking". This past weekend however, I decided to play tier 8s to check just how bad the matchmaking is for this particular tier - and I was simply appalled by what I just experienced. I played 11 games in a row in a tier 8, and got tier X matchmaking in all 11/11 games that I played. I played solo, during about 6-7pm central time when there are plenty of people online so server depopulation is NOT supposed to be an issue. Nevertheless, in 11/11 games I ended up being bottom tier.

In regards to win/loss ratio, that is not a concern at least for myself. However what I experienced did strike a nerve in particular to the extend to which tier 8 is f*cked over in this game. According to WG matchmaking is working the way it should ... so yea, apparently sh*tting on its players without having the decency of calling it rain is the new norm for WG.

MM can only work with what's in the queue at any given time.  Sounds like a lot of tier 9 ad 10's were playing when you were trying to play those tier 8's. That's life in mm.  Honestly tier 8's in tier 10 wows battles aren't as bad off as those in wot.

I have played 69 games in North Carolina grinding to Iowa. I am at 143,000 XP and have 33,000 to go. 56 of those 69 games have had T10s in them, and I was low tier in half of those. Count 'em. Fifty-six. That is high tier MM and complaining settles nothing. My win rate in the ship is an abysmal 36%, worse than Colorado (by 1%). Live with it.

EDIT: I just won three out of five in a row in NC, so sometimes RNGesus laughs at you. Go figure...

Edited by GrandAdmiral_2016

Yeah I'm glad I'm done with all but one line now.  Can't wait till I get the Charles Martel and see nothing but tier 10 games!

Tier 8 and Tier 5 are often the uptiered tiers.  If you don't want to be bottom tier, don't play those tiers.

That's great advice for anyone grinding through tiers 5 or 8.

Wonderful advice, just ignore and don't play 20% of the ships in this game just on the basis of their tier alone. That's an extremely valid tactic for enjoying the game. Edited by Ulthwey

It was a long tough day in tier 8. Bismarck fared better than my NC, but both suffered. Just had to suck it up and keep going. The thing that's been helping me is ignoring the stats as best I can and just try to play better than the last game.

I would have said Tier 5 through Tier 8 are often the uptiered tiers,

and if you don't want to be bottom tier,

play tier 10 and lose money so WoW can make some.

But WG says +2 MM is balanced and everyone loves it. It's killing tiers 5 and 6 and sucks all the way up to tier 9 where you can only face +1. But the high tier guys say having tier 4 protected is the problem. I think not.

I think the problem started when they gimped the tier 1s and made tier 1 exclusive. From that moment on there HAD to be protective MM for other tiers as well, which they went ahead and did, applying protective MM to tier 2, and blocking in MM at tiers 4-5.

Yes, the tier 1s were often better than their followup tier 2s. That's why they should have applied necessary buffs to the tier 2 for the sake of making them appealing, not gimp tier 1 and make it exclusive.

So, as usual, instead of applying a logical fix, they went for a heavy-handed "fix" which broke more than it fixed.

My collected data agrees wholeheartedly with this theory..  spanned over 122 games.

However, I was high tier 8 in one game today.  It was a losing co-op game of all things.

The key to surviving is not avoiding tier 8, it's to simply never fire your guns and use concealment in a bottom tier match.

Mogami has pretty good torps for that game.  Kutuzov has smoke.  Hipper has 6KM hydro.  The rest better stay at spawn.

I've found that T8 cruisers are up-tiered more often than other ship types.

I think they suffer due the the relative lack of T10 cruisers being played as compared to the numbers of DDs & BBs.

But if you are grinding up tiers you just have to take it!

1. Improve T10 economy so a larger strata of player population can afford to play T10 more often.

2 Sell premium T10 camouflage that makes it nearly universally profitable to play T10.

3. Gimp T5-6 so that fewer people play them and therefore T7-8 is less likely to be top tier.

4. ???

5. PROFIT!

T8 ships in particular, especially cruisers, are uptiered nearly all the time. As Camo68 mentioned above, this is because cruisers are always in short supply and the most played tier around that range is T10, so getting uptiered is especially assured as a T8 cuiser. What jolly fun.

WG, how about you un[edited] this mess already? Start by removing any and all protections and nerfing the T10 economy again. It's a typical case of be careful what you wish for: players did want a better T10 economy, but not like this, not at this cost. Many of us saw it coming from day 1 and campaigned for T10 economy to remain harsh and for T3-4 to remain unprotected. WG listened to the louder but more clueless majority - and here we are.

Edited by gurudennis

Teaches you to play more carefully.

Annoying yes, but WG hasn't nerfed MB accuracy or buffed defense alongside the offensive boosts, so there's no change to the campfest.

I don't mind being up tiered, gives the game some challenge.

Said like a true purple player currently not grinding any particularly weak T8 ships :P

Keep stroking that ego, especially after all those public declarations about reaching unicum last week

Said like a true purple player currently not grinding any particularly weak T8 ships :P

+1

Edited by Ulthwey

I found playing the Scharnhorst I get 50% T9 games and at that tier with the pew pew BB guns I can't always penetrate cruisers, not even speaking about the BB's :child:

I found playing the Scharnhorst I get 50% T9 games and at that tier with the pew pew BB guns I can't always penetrate cruisers, not even speaking about the BB's :child:

Scharnhorst is by nature of her armament rather dependent on fighting lightly armored cruisers and German battleships, i.e. the kind of targets she can reliably put the hurt on. Pit her against an Atago, an NC or even a Colorado (don't even get me started about the invincible "battlecruiser" Amagi) and it's a whole different story when it comes to trading shots. It's not that Scharnhorst doesn't necessarily uptier well but rather that she has a very specific and unique preference of the kind of ships she wants to fight.

Ultimately I think no ship at no tier should have to fight predominantly uphill. The occasional uptiering is OK, but it's when it becomes habitual that we have an issue.

Scharnhorst is by nature of her armament rather dependent on fighting lightly armored cruisers and German battleships, i.e. the kind of targets she can reliably put the hurt on. Pit her against an Atago, an NC or even a Colorado (don't even get me started about the invincible "battlecruiser" Amagi) and it's a whole different story when it comes to trading shots. It's not that Scharnhorst doesn't necessarily uptier well but rather that she has a very specific and unique preference of the kind of ships she wants to fight.

Ultimately I think no ship at no tier should have to fight predominantly uphill. The occasional uptiering is OK, but it's when it becomes habitual that we have an issue.

Don't get me wrong, I try and give them hell :izmena:

I've been recording my matches since last week.

out of 32 matches in tiers 5-8, I have been bottom tier 29 times. Tier doesn't matter, chances are I'll be bottom.

Tier 5? Fought tier 7s 8/8 times.

Tier 6? Fight tier 8s 8/9 times.

Tier 7? Fight tier 9s 9/10 times.

Tier 8? Fight tier 10s 4/5 times.

Bonus round: my 3 tier 9 games were all in tier 10 matches as well.

It makes me not want to play anymore. I'm not good enough at this game to find this kind of deck-stacking fun.

Flat shell arcs are not a positive trait on a battleship.

I've been recording my matches since last week.

out of 32 matches in tiers 5-8, I have been bottom tier 29 times. Tier doesn't matter, chances are I'll be bottom.

Tier 5? Fought tier 7s 8/8 times.

Tier 6? Fight tier 8s 8/9 times.

Tier 7? Fight tier 9s 9/10 times.

Tier 8? Fight tier 10s 4/5 times.

Bonus round: my 3 tier 9 games were all in tier 10 matches as well.

It makes me not want to play anymore. I'm not good enough at this game to find this kind of deck-stacking fun.

If your tiers VI and VII are fighting Tier VIII 97% of the time? That just go's against this whole thread. Sounds more like plain Bad Luck. Personally it's quite satisfying destroying a tier X with a tier VIII.

I think the OP was simply unlucky. Here is the data from my last 70 games in T8 ships, with highest tier ship noted. Of these 70 games, 27 were uptiered to T10, which is pretty much what you'd expect if 1/3 of games are uptiered. I might have a slight tendency to be uptiered more because I play at off-peak hours often.

One thing I have observed but purely anecdotal: almost every game with a T10 has several T10 ships, but the T9 games often only have 1 T9. But I don't have data to support that. Just a feeling.

I avoid certain ships because I don't uptier well in them. Kutuzov is ideal because it makes $$ and burns T10 ships just as well as T6, and I play it solidly. Tirpitz and Bismark do fine uptiered. 

Kutu 8
Kutu 10
Kutu 9
Kutu 8
Kutu 10
Kutu 8
Kutu 8
Kutu 10
Kutu 8
Kutu 8
Kutu 8
Kutu 8