You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
KalishniKat

Done with Destroyers

79 comments in this topic

[TOSEY]
[TOSEY]
Members
1,344 posts

I love playing them, love the fast pace, but my very occasional successes no longer make up for the aggravating frustration. I've tried to get good, tried to move down in tiers, but I just suck at DDs. So frustrated with seemingly perfect torpedo shots just missing. With getting detected and smashed into Oblivion by the enemy fleet. It's killing my numbers. I really respect anyone who is truly good at running DDs, but that's never going to be me.

• Cool 7

Members
23 posts
3,061 battles

I know your pain man. I'm a mainly Cruiser player myself, and when I got into the DDs I was loosing my mind with frustration, still sort of do with the IJN DDs. One thing I find helped a lot though, was getting the Concealment Expert captain skill on my Farragut, which alowed me to get closer for torpedo attacks.

Good Luck man, don't give up completely.

Edited by Shadow_Akilax

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
6,535 posts
29,664 battles

Don't give up. Take a break - extended one if necessary - and play other classes. When you feel ready only captain your favorite DD until you feel you've got it down. Work back in slowly. And while on your break observe how others do it. Noneed to give up!

• Cool 2

Members
575 posts
3,075 battles

I do alright in them, and I would entreaty you not to give up.

Here is something I use against BB's and slow CA/CL's that always results in a torp hit.

The first spread is a bait and turn, use that spread to get them to start evasive, then launch another spread into the turn they are making. If you can launch yet another volley, use that to follow up the evasive launch (second launch), and actually lead more than the aiming indicator.

Clemson is good for this. You have to duck and weave a lot, and having Concealment as a captain skill allows you to get right under their vision . . . but of course what I mention works only for loners or folks over extended. I have sunk BB's all by myself doing this, just make sure you can outrun their mains, but this will never work against a boat like the Bismarck, don't even bother. All depends on their secondary power.

Edited by SmirkingGerbil

Members
343 posts
6,782 battles

I looked up your stats and see you've been playing mainly German and Japanese DDs. The Germans are very difficult to play! I consider myself a pretty good DD player and I struggle with them.

If you like guns better than torps, then I'd strongly recommend going up the US and Russian lines. The Russians have very good guns and are great at burning down BBs from range. The US DDs are more of general purpose boats and do well with guns with the torps becoming more important (and actually usable) past tier VI.

I LOVE the Fletcher!

Still, if DDs aren't for you, don't beat your head against a brick wall. This is a GAME - you're supposed to have fun! Play ships that you're more comfortable in and don't worry if you aren't good or even interested in a particular class or nation. (Myself, I have over 4,000 battles and not a single one of them has been in a CV - just not interested in the top-down play)

[SIM]
Members
1,745 posts

I love playing them, love the fast pace, but my very occasional successes no longer make up for the aggravating frustration. I've tried to get good, tried to move down in tiers, but I just suck at DDs. So frustrated with seemingly perfect torpedo shots just missing. With getting detected and smashed into Oblivion by the enemy fleet. It's killing my numbers. I really respect anyone who is truly good at running DDs, but that's never going to be me.

Am guessing that you are using that DD torp targeting to launch your fish at your enemy. Use that just as a general guide for their direction. Then put your self in their position and adjust your torps to what you would do next. Adjust your torp attack either before or if you are thinking that they will turn or stop engines the adjust your attack further. Also keep watch of their smoke prior to your attack, the angle of the ships bow, etc. All these factor in on how to setup your attack run.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,749 posts
15,653 battles

You've been topping out Mostly at T5 DD with a bit of T6 DD. DDs of those tiers get screwed by the current MM. Things get better once you hit Tier 7 and 8.

[-K--]
Members
663 posts
7,529 battles

Give the USN line a shot. 

You've been topping out Mostly at T5 DD with a bit of T6 DD. DDs of those tiers get screwed by the current MM. Things get better once you hit Tier 7 and 8.

This is true as well. Being a tier 5 and 6 DD in a tier 7-8 match can be frustrating. Keep progressing. They don't call it a grind for nothing, DD's make you work for it.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,724 posts
26,569 battles

I feel you. One of the best DDs in the game, Fletcher, I can't make work for me. I suck moose balls in it. Yet I rock Blyskawica.

Members
5,206 posts
3,461 battles

I feel you. One of the best DDs in the game, Fletcher, I can't make work for me. I suck moose balls in it. Yet I rock Blyskawica.

I found my Fletcher play take a serious swing up once I got it upgraded and then went 110% Torp mode. As soon as I began ignoring my guns my play improved. Only trouble is that if rather play a DD like Blyska than a stealth Torp boat. Doesn't make me play it nearly as often.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,724 posts
26,569 battles

That's 100% my findings as well. I mean, I know Fletcher is a great boat, but I just have more fun in Blyska. Still, Gearing should be worth the grind.

Members
6,889 posts
14,873 battles

Every now and then I break out a USN DD Benson I think) and go to town till the game smacks me down for playing it and I have to switch ships.  The only DD I have found myself good in - for the ones I have played.

Edited by CylonRed

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
6,121 posts
27,974 battles

Definitely consider which DD lines you like best, as they play very differently. Also, the German one... ugh, it's just bad, especially at T5 (not a fan of the T6 or T7 either -- IJN has the same problem).

Members
5,424 posts
3,448 battles

The constant stream of DD nerfs over the past couple years have really made them much less fun to play versus say at launch. I really enjoyed them back then, now it's mostly frustration, and occasionally joy when some idiot sails in a straight line and gets dev striked.

• Cool 1

[-AGW-]
Members
1,159 posts
24,031 battles

Your USN DDs seem to work pretty well for you. Why don't you grind those for a bit? Get used to using smoke and guns, and forget about torps unless a real good opportunity presents itself.

Sneaky IJN DD isn't for everyone. 

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
12,147 posts
9,111 battles

That's 100% my findings as well. I mean, I know Fletcher is a great boat, but I just have more fun in Blyska. Still, Gearing should be worth the grind.

The gearing is not really any more of a gun boat, you still have the same issues the fletcher has with the guns. Compounded with the much worse turning radius and a larger beam that makes the ship easier to hit. I just got my gearing and have basically doubled down on the torpedo play from the fletcher and specced for torpedo reload completely. 

The constant stream of DD nerfs over the past couple years have really made them much less fun to play versus say at launch. I really enjoyed them back then, now it's mostly frustration, and occasionally joy when some idiot sails in a straight line and gets dev striked.

I have been having a lot of fun recently with my push to get the gearing as well as starting the KM grind. I wish I had gotten into DDs more back when they were even stronger. 

[S-N-D]
Banned
3,327 posts
7,738 battles

1/2 speed. Tis the key. You don't run the risk of putting yourself into a fatal position that you didn't have time to respond to. You also have fast turning when at that speed. Once you are detected and have to flee limit your turning and max speed away. Juking slows you and it's harder to hit a fast moving target going straight away or towards you then it is a slower and jinking target. Run straight away from the enemy, not diagonal. Diagonal halves the lead time needed to hit you.

Do not put the burden of taking a checkpoint on your shoulders, particularly not right at the beginning of a match. Do not go too far away from the fleet. Optimally you want to be torping and engaging as the enemy is tied up with and concentrating on your heavies.

Multiple overlapped wide spread volleys are not pointless. Do not overuse narrow spreads because you want instant kills. All it takes is one flood after a repair is down to bring a ship down. Do not feel compelled to launch all torpedoes at once. Divide the reload counter by the number of launchers and put that interval between your shots. If they dodge the first they are likely to return to their original track and be hit by the following. This is situational of course.

If a CV is in the match, 1/4 speed unless your repositioning to protect the fleet. Stay near and help provide AA. 1/2 speed and full rudder makes bombs largely ineffective. A triple cross drop from the rear should be answered with full reverse with speed boost if you have it.This has to be in preparation before the drop occurs. If the torps are in the water when you start it's too late. Again 1/2 speed makes the transition quicker.

Remember part of your job as a DD is spotting torps ahead of time. 1/2 speed and 1/4 speed makes it much easier to thread the needle where full speed is suicidal. The sooner you spot them the more time your heavies have to dodge them. Don't underestimate TAS and vigilance. I use them both and while it's a thankless job I know being able to spot a 1.7km detectable torp at 2.5 makes a big difference.

Do not fire torpedoes if they have no chance of hitting the target without being spotted. So if an aircraft is in between you and the target hold your fire until a more opportune time. Situational of course.

If you do not have survivability expert on your captain, re-spec. Adrenaline rush is nice too.

Edited by _Caliph_

[RLGN]
Members
19,142 posts
35,184 battles

Do I just pay more attention to ships that have radar/hydro and stay away from them? Really, even in the few high tier games I play I don't have that much trouble with those.

In addition, they way I played destroyers before, I wasn't running around shooting at everything that moved; apparently like some people must have; because my WASD ins't that great; the great stealth fire nerf that was supposed to ruin everything for destroyers hasn't really caused me much trouble...

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

Members
5,424 posts
3,448 battles

The gearing is not really any more of a gun boat, you still have the same issues the fletcher has with the guns. Compounded with the much worse turning radius and a larger beam that makes the ship easier to hit. I just got my gearing and have basically doubled down on the torpedo play from the fletcher and specced for torpedo reload completely. 

I have been having a lot of fun recently with my push to get the gearing as well as starting the KM grind. I wish I had gotten into DDs more back when they were even stronger. 

It makes me sad remembering back when everyone would have wet dreams about getting a Shimakaze, so they too could get 20km double strikes. It seems so long ago... now I'm getting teary eyed.

[S-N-D]
Banned
3,327 posts
7,738 battles

Do I just pay more attention to ships that have radar/hydro and stay away from them? Really, even in the few high tier games I play I don't have that much trouble with those.

In addition, they way I played destroyers before, I wasn't running around shooting at everything that moved; apparently like some people must have; because my WASD ins't that great; the great stealth fire nerf that was supposed to ruin everything for destroyers hasn't really caused me much trouble...

No more than any other ship. Being undetected is always the goal. A good attack will always be one that the enemy never seen you make nor that reveals you after it's complete. Whether there is radar or hydro to me doesn't matter as I have no intention of putting myself in a position where they matter. I don't sit in smoke. It's the best way to get torpedoed. As a matter of fact smoke is purely cover for friendlies after which I still go forward to spot for them so they can return fire or a means to break engagement and flee. The going forward part is key when providing cover for friendlies because torps are going to come to the smoke and your allies will be blind to them if you do not. Obviously there are exceptions but that's in general.
Edited by _Caliph_

Members
1,464 posts
806 battles

I can tell you that German DDs so far have been rewarding the better I get with them. They have ok guns, weak but decent torps and ok concealment. If you want to start off on DDs, def start with USN. General boats those are lol.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,749 posts
15,653 battles

Ummmmm, you are going to be VERY dissapointed, ESPECIALLY post 6.3, with the Gearing. More so if you are having problems in the Fletcher.

The thought that pops in my mind nowadays when I see a Gearing is "Awwww, cute. Someone thinks they are driving a Tier 10...".

/Yes I do feel like an idiot, owning a Gearing with Gold camo and 19 point captain that's just rusting away.

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Members
4,680 posts

I get that feeling too.  My initial experiences were, well, er... not encouraging.  I stopped playing them completely for several months.

Eventually, I decided to try out the Russian DD's, just for a lark- and ended up liking them!   I had ground out just enough xp on the tier 2 US to get Wickes, so I gave them another try, too.  This time around went much better!   I still cannot IJN DD worth a crap, so I just ignore them.  Germany was fun with the tiny tier2, but I didn't like the tier 3 at all- so I set them aside, too.  As others have pointed out, IJN and Germany aren't the nicest lines to learn on, and they aren't for everybody.

I think I rage quit DD's around once a week,lol!   The whole hot and cold thing just irritates me.  I'll be doing great, and suddenly I can't do squat.  Much of that has to do with the screwy tier 5 and 6 mm  (I'm on Farragut and Gnevny), but a lot has to do with WG's Co-op bot programming- they HATE DD's, and are usually ALL over you from the word go.   (I'm nothing special in DD's so I choose not to inflict myself on pvp teams.)  Tends to suck the fun right out of it...

I'm currently on another DD hiatus.  (mainly because they introduced French cruisers, and I'm loving them!)