You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LittleWhiteMouse

Fun and Engaging Science (Part Two!)

170 comments in this topic

[RELSH] Lert 17,035
15,284 posts
10,693 battles
JFViIjN.gif
  • Cool 8

[ARMDG] TheZeke00 280
788 posts

Excellent work as always, Mouse :)

[ARMDG] TheZeke00 280
788 posts

then why does 1 torpedo hitting a full HP BB detonate it?

Each time the mags get damaged they have a chance to detonate. One torpedo is enough to damage magazines and cause a chance detonation. 

[RELSH] Lert 17,035
15,284 posts
10,693 battles

Each time the mags get damaged they have a chance to detonate. One torpedo is enough to damage magazines and cause a chance detonation.

This. Each damaging hit to a magazine triggers a det chance, it's just that the chance is higher when the mag's hitpoints are depleted - up to a 10% det chance for a damaging hit to a depleted mag.

[42] CapnCappy 1,353
3,247 posts
5,536 battles

I'm guessing a torpedo hitting a magazine fully depletes it and causes that 1/10 chance of detonation. You probably get these all the time but you remember that 1/10 time when everything goes BOOM.

Happened to me in ranked. :(

[CO_OP] Rowstralker 16
212 posts
5,175 battles

So the angle of the impact does not matter for HE rounds as much as it does for AP. Now the numbers we, or at least I don't know, is the splash penetration and the total amount of armor between the impact and the locker. If I am reading the answer provided right, if the splash damage in under the total amount of armor protection then the locker does not take any damage and no calculation for an explosion happens.

But

If the splash penetration value exceeds the total amount of armor then the locker takes damage. My question is does the amount of armor the splash penetration had to go through to damage the locker become a % of the total damage possible applied to the lockers HPs.

It looks like this;

Ammo locker has an effective armor value of 50 and the HE splash penetration is 55 this means one of two things. Either 100% of the HE damage is applied because the HE penetration value is higher, which means the 10% roll is made and total damage is subtracted from the lockers health or is it 50/55 which is 10% of the total damage is applied and the 10% calculation is made.

I can see the larger the caliber HE round the greater the splash pen value and damage.

So which way is the damage calculated?

Row

[WG-CC] LittleWhiteMouse 17,948
7,577 posts
6,237 battles

I'm guessing a torpedo hitting a magazine fully depletes it and causes that 1/10 chance of detonation. You probably get these all the time but you remember that 1/10 time when everything goes BOOM.

It depends on the ship you're sailing.  For tier 7 Battleships, your magazines will have around 30,000hp.  Torpedoes don't hit that hard. So a single hit probably only depleted your magazine by one third.  We don't know what the base detonation chance is when the ship is pristine.  I've heard people say it's not zero.  It might start as low as 1% or be as high as 9%.

[CO_OP] Rowstralker 16
212 posts
5,175 battles

It depends on the ship you're sailing.  For tier 7 Battleships, your magazines will have around 30,000hp.  Torpedoes don't hit that hard. So a single hit probably only depleted your magazine by one third.  We don't know what the base detonation chance is when the ship is pristine.  I've heard people say it's not zero.  It might start as low as 1% or be as high as 9%.

I thought I read in your write up that any damage to the ammo locker results in a 10% chance to go boom even as little as 1 point of damage. Maybe I am reading something wrong

Row

[MIA-I] vonKaiser 659
2,401 posts
4,109 battles

Same.  Avoid taking Torpedo's to Magazine #2 of the Bismarck.  Happened to me in ranked and once or twice in random. 

[SYN] MrDeaf 2,573
13,582 posts
8,752 battles

Iowa detonates quite often with 19k dmg torp hits to #1 turret area

the mysterious stuff is when a single HE round from a DD causes a detonation in full HP battleships.

Thus far, I've seen a full HP yam get detonated by a khab and a full HP nagato get detonated by a blyska

767 posts
3,806 battles

Thus far, I've seen a full HP yam get detonated by a khab

Yeah, I could have sworn there was a gif of this floating around.

7,577 posts
6,237 battles

Yeah, I could have sworn there was a gif of this floating around.

There is -- I've seen it.  This was caused by damage to a ship's weapons being able to cause a critical hit chance to the attached magazines.  So a dinky little 127mm could plink against some softer spot of a ships turret (like the underside) and set off the Battleship's magazines.

[WGA] TrevzorFTW 653
Community Department, WG Staff, Supertest Coordinator
149 posts
1,089 battles

Some quality science and an awesome write up to boot. I look forward to the rest of your findings with Yamato.

6YInXNp.jpg

• Cool 3

[ABDA] crzyhawk 3,107
13,679 posts
9,905 battles

The magazine takes more than 100% damage, and triggers the detonation roll.  The torpedo splash damage is able to hit the magazine.

[SYN] MrDeaf 2,573
13,582 posts
8,752 battles

There is -- I've seen it.  This was caused by damage to a ship's weapons being able to cause a critical hit chance to the attached magazines.  So a dinky little 127mm could plink against some softer spot of a ships turret (like the underside) and set off the Battleship's magazines.

so wait... there IS secondary magazine detonation?

[HINON] RipNuN2 2,148
6,380 posts

I want to tank Sub_Octavian for taking the time to answer my questions.

I hope you dunk tank him. That would be worth watching.

d1dabB6.gif

[-K-] Edgecase 862
2,314 posts
10,306 battles

This is the big unanswered question in my mind. People have theorized that damaged/destroyed secondary and AA mounts have a mechanism by which they transfer damage to other ship modules, including the magazine, and that this damage triggers the detonation roll. Did Sub_Octavian rule this mechanism out, or just not mention it?

7,577 posts
6,237 battles

There are no magazines for the secondaries (if that's what you meant).  There was a time when damage to the main batteries of a ship could set off a reciprocating detonation inside it's magazine.  My understanding was that this mechanic was removed.  I'll have to hit up Sub_Octavian for a second round of questions if he's willing to hear me out.  I don't want to abuse the privilege with constant nattering in his ear. :)

[RELSH] Lert 17,035
15,284 posts
10,693 battles

The magazine takes more than 100% damage, and triggers the detonation roll.  The torpedo splash damage is able to hit the magazine.

No. A mag can detonate if it gets damaged, regardless of its own HP left or how much damage it takes. The only thing the module HP does is dictate the chance of blowing up but even a full HP magazine can blow up if it takes even 1 hp of damage.