RivertheRoyal

USS Missouri, BB-63, has been recommissioned.

• You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

76 posts in this topic

Well, defending yourself is never a problem, but what you *perceived* as a jab could have most certainly just been writing style. Your response thereafter was a gross overreaction. If you really want to have your question answered definitively, there's always Google. You can get answers there all day long without belittling people for their explanations to your questions. Perhaps MrDeaf does not possess the encyclopedic noggin' of naval knowledge you claim to have and was trying to be helpful with what he did know. 

Peace, Love, and Hair Grease!

What 'encyclopedic noggin' of naval knowledge' do I 'claim to have'?

Posted (edited) · Report post

It's like I'm watching two of my uncles arguing about the weather.... 

Now, I respect the both of you very much. But it's getting a little silly now.

Lert, you asked a legitimate answer—one that I don't think has been adequately answered yet either. 

Doctor, you pointed out that Lert could have handled things more...tactfully. I agree on this as well, but that's neither here nor there. 

As my Grandma would ask my uncles—"Are ya'll discuss'n anything important? Seems to me you're arguing just 'cause." 

In my words, do you guys see anything productive coming out of whatever's going on? Outside of the original question, I mean. 

Anyway, with that out of the way, I think people mention the numbers of capital ships because it's easier. There are relatively few battleships when compared to cruisers, destroyers, and even carriers to a lesser extent—meaning that there are few number combinations available. I mean, given that the Iowas were the last of the battleships, we know that the BB classification numbers likely only go up to 64. So, maybe the classification numbers are tacked on simply because people remember them, as opposed to classes which had more ships in them?  

Edited by RivertheRoyal

Yeb, it has gotten rather silly. 

If not to be very specific in what you're talking about or how people memorize it (As River said), I always imagined it was also to give it the illusion of greater importance. I once knew a person who kept calling the M1911 a ".45 Colt M1911-A1" and I was like, "Dude, just call it a M1911. You said it was a gun earlier. So we know what you're talking about. No need to add the extra information." As you would imagine, it took a bit to get that resolved. Legend says they still give the full designation to this day.

Edited by Yoshiblue

So this deviates from the ongoing conversation above, but I have a question.

Anyone think outfitting those turrets with paintball guns would be viable? They would need to be bigger of course, but just imagine Kayak paintball wars!

This concludes this brief intermission. Please don't hurt me. :hiding:

Edited by Jnobsir

So, I looked into why USN uses name and puts the hull number in with the name.

and came up with no answers.

Instead, I got side tracked and found...

IMO, "#1 most used name in short span of time" USN ship... USS Meredith

DD-434 (Gleaves-class) USS Meredith: Launched 1940, Apr. 24, Sunk 1942, Oct. 15

DD-726 (Sumner-class) USS Meredith: Launched 1943, Dec. 21, Sunk 1944, Jun. 9

DD-890 (Gearing-class) USS Meredith: Launched 1945, Jun. 28, Scrapped 1995

So, I looked into why USN uses name and puts the hull number in with the name.

and came up with no answers.

Instead, I got side tracked and found...

IMO, "#1 most used name in short span of time" USN ship... USS Meredith

DD-434 (Gleaves-class) USS Meredith: Launched 1940, Apr. 24, Sunk 1942, Oct. 15

DD-726 (Sumner-class) USS Meredith: Launched 1943, Dec. 21, Sunk 1944, Jun. 9

DD-890 (Gearing-class) USS Meredith: Launched 1945, Jun. 28, Scrapped 1995

Jeez, you'd think they'd have learned after the second ship sunk...

Though, the third one lasted a good 50 years, so I guess 3's the lucky number? 

Jeez, you'd think they'd have learned after the second ship sunk...

Though, the third one lasted a good 50 years, so I guess 3's the lucky number? 

Well, if you look at the date it was launched... Launched ≠ Commissioning

It's already near the end of WW2 and DD-890 Meredith was commissioned after WW2 ended, in Dec.

I haven't really heard of warships sinking outside of war, so it lived a peacetime life... I would guess.

Just one question ... Why do so many Americans find it necessary to always say 'BB-63' after saying 'USS Missouri'? I would think it's perfectly clear what ship you're talking about without going to that extra length.

We want everyone to know exactly what we're talking about.

We want everyone to know exactly what we're talking about.

So why isn't it done (nearly as often) for CAs / CLs and DDs?

It's like I'm watching two of my uncles arguing about the weather.... 

Now, I respect the both of you very much. But it's getting a little silly now.

Lert, you asked a legitimate answer—one that I don't think has been adequately answered yet either. 

Doctor, you pointed out that Lert could have handled things more...tactfully. I agree on this as well, but that's neither here nor there. 

As my Grandma would ask my uncles—"Are ya'll discuss'n anything important? Seems to me you're arguing just 'cause." 

In my words, do you guys see anything productive coming out of whatever's going on? Outside of the original question, I mean. 

Anyway, with that out of the way, I think people mention the numbers of capital ships because it's easier. There are relatively few battleships when compared to cruisers, destroyers, and even carriers to a lesser extent—meaning that there are few number combinations available. I mean, given that the Iowas were the last of the battleships, we know that the BB classification numbers likely only go up to 64. So, maybe the classification numbers are tacked on simply because people remember them, as opposed to classes which had more ships in them?  

Respect level: Over 9000

Vjqsajr.jpg?1

after the day ive had, this pic of Ryu is a welcome sight

Honestly, to answer why hull numbers get used for the names... I think it's a pride thing more than anything else. It's a sorta, "Here's the full name, long-form, formal, etc, etc, etc."

I mean, British ships had number designations... but I don't think I've ever seen anyone state one of those before. For Italy, until it was changed to letter-digit combos like the rest of NATO, only destroyers had designations, which was literally shortened versions of their name to two letters (ex; Folgore becomes 'FG,' Fulmine, 'FL,' Camica Nera; 'CN'), used for easy identification. Cruisers and Battleships were just their names.

But for the American battleships... I'm 99.09% sure it's just a pride thing. Like saying '16"/50 cal Mk.7,' when you could just say 16" Mk.7, or 16"/50, where you already know the gun because the US one ever had one 50-cal 16" gun.

I am the carrier of my fleet

Flat is my chest smooth is my skin

Unknown to D-cup nor known to C

I have withstood the pain of many loose fitting bras

Yet my small chest will never surrender 

so I pray

UNLIMITED FLAT WORKS

I am the carrier of my fleet

Flat is my chest smooth is my skin

Unknown to D-cup nor known to C

I have withstood the pain of many loose fitting bras

Yet my small chest will never surrender 

so I pray

UNLIMITED FLAT WORKS

Ummm-Yes-I-Have-A-Question-Wtf-Wtf-Meme-

As an avid kayak enthusiast, I want one.

Hey me too! May I ask what type of Kayaking you do?

Hey me too! May I ask what type of Kayaking you do?

Flatwater fishing, mostly.  But I do go down some of the more tame water trails, too.  Saving up to get me a nice Jackson Cuda 12 someday.

Flatwater fishing, mostly.  But I do go down some of the more tame water trails, too.  Saving up to get me a nice Jackson Cuda 12 someday.

Nice! The Cuda 12 is a nice boat, I work for a retailer so I see plenty of boats and the Jackson's are near the top of the pile when it comes to quality.

Personally I'm more of a white water and touring guy but I have a healthy respect for the kayak fisherman.

(I'm going to hell aint i haha)

Don't worry....

The entertainment I have been getting out of this thread, I am sure to meet you there!

I hope they have the board game battleships...

fKXKaoZ.png?1

Aww, I love Mousou Telepathy!  It's one of my favourite 4-Koma manga (after Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko which has been on haitus for like a month). Edited by LittleWhiteMouse

Aww, I love Mousou Telepathy!  It's one of my favourite 4-Koma manga (after Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko which has been on haitus for like a month).

( ! )

You're reading my mind, Aren't you!

Aww, I love Mousou Telepathy!  It's one of my favourite 4-Koma manga (after Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko which has been on haitus for like a month).

Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko has been on haitus before. I trust it'll be back eventually. Rather, it had better... Edited by RivertheRoyal