You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

23 comments in this topic

[HEROS]
-Members-
1,462 posts
5,897 battles

Hey guys, it's UrPeaceKeeper!  For those of you who are familiar with my YT channel, you'll know I do a lot of How to Play series!  IJN BB's and German Cruisers are the next ship lines to be done!  German Cruisers are on Mondays so tune in every Monday for more German Cruiser goodness! :D

The first video in the series is always the Captain Skills video so here it is:

From here on out, every Monday, I start off in Port and talk about the ship stats, history, and how to play the ship briefly and then I do a battle analysis where I talk about the game play and how I play the ship!  Stay tuned for more videos! :)

Here is the Hermelin video!  NO, this is not a video talking about How to Play Hermelin so much as it is a discussion about the current status of German Cruisers!  If you really thought I put together a ~20 minute video for a T1 ship.... well... I did for the RNCL line but haven't since! ;)

Cheers!

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
[WOLFG]
Members
990 posts
9,588 battles

Awesome! Keep up the great work, man. Always enjoy your content. 

[SALTY]
Members
8,930 posts
18,138 battles

Same here.  Nice work, bud.

[WAMMY]
Members
2,811 posts
17,406 battles

Hey

Good video.  I would recommend for all of those that are not super experienced or have come from the BB side and found cruiser and their weak armor frustrating; take priority target as your first #1 skill.  It's helped to save my butt many times.  I agree with exp. marksman as I too like my guns moving as fast as possible especially if your dodging and weaving.  Adrenaline rush is good when your taking damage which in a cruiser can be 50% of your health at times from a BB, and it WILL happen.  Demo expert is a must IMHO, nothing changes a persons mind faster than being set on fire, use damage control and then set on fire again.  Concealment expert is always good if you have enough captains points.  SuperIntendent is a must on most cruisers with consumables that take advantage of heals and the like, otherwise you can use premium consumables if you don't have S.I.  Dual aircraft; I had selected it but given the times are only something like a minute or two now, I would rather take the 1 point elsewhere.  Keep up the good work.

Pete

[HEROS]
-Members-
1,462 posts
5,897 battles

Same here.  Nice work, bud.

Thanks guys!  Appreciate you guys watching and commenting!

Hey

Good video.  I would recommend for all of those that are not super experienced or have come from the BB side and found cruiser and their weak armor frustrating; take priority target as your first #1 skill.  It's helped to save my butt many times.  I agree with exp. marksman as I too like my guns moving as fast as possible especially if your dodging and weaving.  Adrenaline rush is good when your taking damage which in a cruiser can be 50% of your health at times from a BB, and it WILL happen.  Demo expert is a must IMHO, nothing changes a persons mind faster than being set on fire, use damage control and then set on fire again.  Concealment expert is always good if you have enough captains points.  SuperIntendent is a must on most cruisers with consumables that take advantage of heals and the like, otherwise you can use premium consumables if you don't have S.I.  Dual aircraft; I had selected it but given the times are only something like a minute or two now, I would rather take the 1 point elsewhere.  Keep up the good work.

Pete

Thanks for the comments Pete!  PT is a good skill and I hope I clarified my position on it in the video.  I saved the point by just assuming that any time I'm detected, I'm being shot at and to take the appropriate action of angling as best I can to the most likely direction of fire.  Generally speaking this has worked well for me and I can't complain too much given how that one point can be used elsewhere in my preferred captain build!  Certainly, skills like Priority Target, Incoming Fire Alert, Vigilance, and RPF are useful tools if those are not skills you have picked up over the course of gameplay but as soon as you become comfortable with what they offer, it's best to spec out of them ASAP so you can use those points elsewhere on your captain build! :)

[HEROS]
-Members-
1,462 posts
5,897 battles

It's time to Dresden!

Like most T2's, she's a bit underwhelming, but she does have some strengths (speed, maneuverability, and ROF) to counter her negatives (slow shell velocity and low long range HE/AP alpha).  Overall, not a bad T2 but if you absolutely hate her the grind is short to get to Kolberg at T3! :)

[HEROS]
-Members-
1,462 posts
5,897 battles

Looks like I've been in dereliction of my duties posting up to date videos here! =|  Time to update this thread!

T4 Karlsruhe (with wrong ship history... I know, please don't kill me)

T5 Königsberg

T6 Nürnberg video is uploading as we speak!

Overall, not a fan of the German CL's.  Nürnberg is ok, as is Königsberg but the play style is a little passive for my taste!

Members
341 posts
1,994 battles

I just started playing German cruisers and I'm up to Tier 6. They remind me of British cruisers. But it's like they traded awesome smoke for mediocre HE.

[HEROS]
-Members-
1,462 posts
5,897 battles
On 6/24/2017 at 8:36 PM, Greenday4537 said:

I just started playing German cruisers and I'm up to Tier 6. They remind me of British cruisers. But it's like they traded awesome smoke for mediocre HE.

Yeah they are kind of hard to play well.  The German line as a whole is difficult to play well but they have definite strengths over the RNCL's (most notably, well protected citadels against cruiser fire) and some weaknesses (maneuverability and ROF).  Overall they are both pretty solid ship lines.

The Yorck video is up!

The first CA in the German line is a paper ship, but she has some unique characteristics that make her a decent, but not the best T7 CA in the game.  Overall, her medium and short range AP performance is stellar but her long range AP is bad and her HE takes over with good HE alpha and decent fire starting chance.  She's got a short profile and good maneuverability and decent AA that gives her some purpose in life!  

[WAMMY]
Members
2,811 posts
17,406 battles

Hey

I hated the Yorck personally.  While I did have a few really decent games in her, most were a struggle to make it work consistently; the ship has some very good potential if only it was more inline with other cruisers of the same tier.  She needs a slight buff in gun rotation speed which was the worst part for me, even with expert marksman.  The AP shell are utter garbage for any distance shooting but pack serious punch in 5-8Km range (this can be very dangerous though in this ship), beyond that use HE for consistent shell flight.  If the AP shells acted the same way in flight as the HE shells, that would help a bunch.  The last area is she needs a slight buff to her HP; she can take more punishment than Nurnberg but is slightly weak considering she is more likely to get up-tiered and thus get punished.  It really wouldn't take a lot to make her more in-line with other T7 cruisers but right now it's still more of a chore than a pleasure.  I much prefer the Hipper/Prinz Eugen but they also have their flaws, like rate of fire, which needs about a 2 second decrease to help increase their DPM, but overall ship handling is much better

Pete

By the way; great job on the video a must see for all Yorck players.

Edited by sasquatch_research

[HEROS]
-Members-
1,462 posts
5,897 battles
On 6/27/2017 at 11:41 AM, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

I hated the Yorck personally.  While I did have a few really decent games in her, most were a struggle to make it work consistently; the ship has some very good potential if only it was more inline with other cruisers of the same tier.  She needs a slight buff in gun rotation speed which was the worst part for me, even with expert marksman.  The AP shell are utter garbage for any distance shooting but pack serious punch in 5-8Km range (this can be very dangerous though in this ship), beyond that use HE for consistent shell flight.  If the AP shells acted the same way in flight as the HE shells, that would help a bunch.  The last area is she needs a slight buff to her HP; she can take more punishment than Nurnberg but is slightly weak considering she is more likely to get up-tiered and thus get punished.  It really wouldn't take a lot to make her more in-line with other T7 cruisers but right now it's still more of a chore than a pleasure.  I much prefer the Hipper/Prinz Eugen but they also have their flaws, like rate of fire, which needs about a 2 second decrease to help increase their DPM, but overall ship handling is much better

Pete

By the way; great job on the video a must see for all Yorck players.

I definitely think a turret traverse time reduction would seriously help this ship out and be a nice quality of life buff for her!

Speaking of Hipper!  Here is the Hippist Hipper Video on the Internets!  Ok, probably not! ;)

[HEROS]
-Members-
1,462 posts
5,897 battles

Ever set out to Roon someone's day? :D

Yes, the How to Roon video is up! :)  Was your "baby" Hindenburg a fun grind or a frustrating one? :)

[WAMMY]
Members
2,811 posts
17,406 battles

Hey

Are you planning a Graf Spee video?  I'm finding it a very fun although challenging little boat.  Best game so far for me: 120,330 damage and second was around 112,500 and quite a few battles in the 15K-25K range and a couple of really I sucked ones.  One guy complained a bit about how his Bismarck got sunk by a Graf Spee today, it was the high point of the day.  LOL.  I like this ship so far.

Pete

[HEROS]
-Members-
1,462 posts
5,897 battles

Like the Atlanta, the Graf Spee is a ship that I'm looking at doing a video on eventually but haven't gotten around to yet.  Someday I'll get it done though!

Speaking of getting it done, the final chapter in our How to Play series for the German Cruiser line is here!  Yes!  Battleship Hindenburg's How to Play video is here!

This Cruiser Battleship is an extremely potent!  Like the Roon, but stepped up to 11!  At least in my opinion!  Did you guys have as much fun in Hindenburg or is she a struggle?

• Cool 1

Members
1,140 posts
8,387 battles

Great videos.  A question from the Hindenburg one, however...  I can swear that I've read somewhere that whether HE pens or not has no relation to its fire chance percentage - i.e., shatters, even as they cause no alpha damage, start fires just as well or poorly as pens.  See the sixth answer here:

https://thedailybounce.net/2017/01/13/world-of-warships-sub_octavian-reddit-qa-12012017/

[HEROS]
-Members-
1,462 posts
5,897 battles
On 7/18/2017 at 11:17 AM, Lillehuntrix said:

Great videos.  A question from the Hindenburg one, however...  I can swear that I've read somewhere that whether HE pens or not has no relation to its fire chance percentage - i.e., shatters, even as they cause no alpha damage, start fires just as well or poorly as pens.  See the sixth answer here:

https://thedailybounce.net/2017/01/13/world-of-warships-sub_octavian-reddit-qa-12012017/

Hmm, I'm probably wrong here, but I also could have sworn that it was said that fire chance is cut in half just by not penetrating, but I honestly don't remember.  This was part of the reason why IFHE on Akizuki wasn't a huge killer of overall fire damage.

I'm guessing the info you provided from Sub_Octavian is correct and the fire chance only has to do with the area being hit and other modifiers and that pen/not pen doesn't matter... it certainly feels like it matters though.

• Cool 1

[VIKNG]
Beta Testers
432 posts
14,016 battles

I'm really on the fence whether to take the Concealment Module or the Increased Rudder-shift Module for the fifth upgrade Slot on Hipper and Prinz Eugen. On one hand I'd like the better Concealment, but on the other hand that 8.6-8.7 sec Rudder-shift without the 2nd Module is............. not soo hot.

Any Thoughts ??

[AA-DS]
Members
979 posts
11 hours ago, ThomasFranz67 said:

I'm really on the fence whether to take the Concealment Module or the Increased Rudder-shift Module for the fifth upgrade Slot on Hipper and Prinz Eugen. On one hand I'd like the better Concealment, but on the other hand that 8.6-8.7 sec Rudder-shift without the 2nd Module is............. not soo hot.

Any Thoughts ??

You can run conceal on the skipper at least, you will get a 5.5 sec rudder shift with both rudder modules. 6.5 with the 5th slot upgrade. Difficult at times coz you see a LOT of tier X games, where both conceal and rudder are worthwhile.

When you fire you're spotted and the BB's want you dead, rudder helps a lot.

OR fire and wait 20 secs, move to a different spot and fire again etc. I'm a spud so i gave up on Prinz in randoms too many tier X games but for the games i did it was rudder shift.

[WAMMY]
Members
2,811 posts
17,406 battles
On 7/24/2017 at 8:10 AM, Lillehuntrix said:

I went double rudder on Hipper (CE on the captain), and felt it worked well.

Hey

I went with concealment on Hipper but double steering on Prinz Eugen and then with Roon, went with double steering also and I can honestly say that I prefer this setup over the better concealment but slightly sluggish rudder.  I too have CE on my captains.  It's working very well for me at this point on T8's-T9.  I will do the same thing when I get to T10.

Pete

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,228 battles

I love my roon.      it is just good all around cruiser that can do everything.     with nerf to donskoi coming via ifhe,  I just want to grind that out, and it is just too squishy and not enough hitting power now compared to roon.  plus not losing money at t9 is better than losing money at t10  :D.  (I have hberg as well, but havn't played it much)