MCCIV

Quick question about my mid tier BBs

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

4 posts in this topic

So heres the dilema. I find myself in a mid/low tier battleship because bbs rock, (Ill use myogi for example) and as I shoot at a cruiser or battleship with AP. If I hit sometimes I get a roll of exactly 1000 damage. Now dont jump to conclusions and say im a noob... I know that it is based off of shell caliber (Wyoming rolls 860and it means I am either over penning or under penning, but how would I fix it? Do I have to settle for lower rolls or should I be switching to He? Would closing distance help?

Just checking to see if anyone can explain and help me fix this. Would rather roll 2-3k rolls than a 860 derp... Im mcciv by the way. Ex-blitz player who playes boats on a computer that is weaker than a potato. Super stoked that a wows blitz is in development. Anyhow, any tips on Battleship gunnery is most welcome! (other than 'hit the citadel' and stuff:child:)

Ammo usage is so situational, so its hard to give hard and fast rules on what to use. But for starters, I would recomend (if you haven't already) turning on the advanced ribbons in options. That makes it easier to see if your penning, overpenning, bouncing, etc. After that, just kinda gotta learn from experience what shells, fired from what boat, at what target, at what angle...

Hit the citadel. :trollface:

Usually, getting 1k or 860 rolls like that means you're getting overpens, which are only 10% of your potential damage per shell (PDS). Check where your shells are falling in relation to the ship. If it hits the bow, stern, or superstructure, your aim is off. If it hits the bow, move the reticule a bit closer to the ship, if it hits the stern, move it farther away, if it hits the superstructure, move it down a bit, etc.

If you can reliably hit the main hull or deck, you'll be scoring penetrations, which do 33% of your PDS. If you find that you cannot reliably hit the hull and often have to pray to RNGesus, you need to move closer. Generally, the idea is under 10km for German battleships, between 11 and 16km for American battleships, and between 14 and 18 km for Japanese battleships. If you're playing lower tiers, subtract 2-4 from those numbers, as the maps are smaller. Beware the torpedo!

The citadel is located under the smokestacks and gun turrets, and hitting it will deal 100% of your PDS. Aim at the waterline, and be aware of how your shells will travel. If your crosshair is moving up the ship as your ship moves, aim slightly under the waterline, and vice versa. You should almost always have AP loaded, unless you are facing a sudden destroyer and have time to switch. If you don't, just shoot AP anyways. Also, if you are facing a heavily angled enemy BB that you can't penetrate from the front, you can either move your aim up and try to take out his guns/penetrate his deck, or you can switch to HE. If he is moving to show you his side, don't bother switching or shooting at that moment, as the AP will get you good damage if you wait until his side is shown.

There are several guides on the forums about aiming and How2BattleBoat, and I recommend that you check them out.

Overpens can be caused by multiple factors.  First off, a shell needs to penetrate a certain amount of armor before it will arm the fuse (I believe it's shell caliber/6 but don't quote me) if that doesn't happen, the shell won't blow and you'll get overpens every single time.  Angling is accounted for in this (ie a plate that wouldn't arm your shell at a flat angle might at an angle) but I'm not sure how overmatch interacts with this.

Secondly, assuming your shell gets its fuse activated, you can still overpen because the fuses are time delayed (I believe on most BBs it's 33 milliseconds, but again, don't quote me) If your shell has enough velocity and penetration after going through the first plate it can and will go completely through the ship. This is especially evident in low tiers where relatively thin cruisers with lightly armored citadels can be functionally impossible to Citadel from a broadside at close range (the Kuma being the most egregious example, you can over pen its' citadel with DD caliber guns)