You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

218 comments in this topic

1Sherman    803

Nice review. I'll be saving my premium ship money for when HMCS Haida comes out.

• Cool 3

MrDeaf    2,514

I can't help but notice how bad Nagato's accuracy is...

Also, lolorado seems to be missing?

RustyFMJ    49

If the basic Hood+port slot will be available from the start i'll get it right away.

I'll make it work in PvP, i've got no doubts about that

JToney3449    97

AoHzXks.gif

Great review mouse +1 for you!

Sadly with her guns performace being garbage, she has no way of doing reliable dmg.  Like you said leaves you struggling for dmg.  As a BB you already have to do a lot more dmg to do your equal hitpoints, so no reliable guns/torps/secondaries? Pass.  Being able to kill all the cv's planes who torp and bomb you to death is hardly consolation for getting nuked under the water by the CV.

PZtQb.gif

So while mouse gets my ups WG gets the downvotes for making the hood a stupid AA gimick that isnt even able to save itself with it.

a881c02ea08e6763beb53ff3eb2fe4dd.jpg

PS In before Lert! HAHAHA.

Edited by JToney3449
  • Cool 1

Sventex    893

I'm mildly disappointed that the Hood isn't being given away in the campaign.  I already have the Bismarck, fully grinded.  I had gotten myself exciting to rush through the upcoming campaign to unlock the Hood.

Edited by Sventex

JervisBay    539

I was curious about this defensive system so wandered to the HMS Hood Association ..........

7" Naval Wire Barrage, Unrotating Projectile (UP) Rocket Launcher

Type: Mark I
Number of Tubes: 20 (smooth bore)
Rocket: 7 in./178 mm x 32 in./813 mm fin stabilised rocket (3 in. / 76 mm motor)
Warhead: 8 oz / .14 kg aerial mine (CE)
Fuse: No. 700 and No. 720
Rate of Fire: Salvoes of 10
Maximum Altitude: @ 1,000 ft / 305 m
Elevation Angle (Max. / Min.): ? ° / @ 45°

Training: 360°
Comments: Hood was outfitted with 5 UP mounts which were added in 1940. One was atop "B" turret, and the remaining four on the Shelter Deck. In general, the UP (AKA "rocket-on-a-string") was a largely unsuccessful attempt at a low altitude anti-aircraft defence system. The basic concept was to create an aerial minefield: When hostile aircraft were detected, the UP "layer" (operator) would manually launch a salvo/spread of 10 rockets.

Upon reaching @1000ft, the rockets would detonate and expel mines attached to three parachutes by @400ft of cable. Aircraft flying through the aerial minefield would snag the cables and pull the mines into themselves. In reality, the system was slow & cumbersome.  The aerial minefields were clearly visible & easily avoidable.  This, coupled with other factors such as the volatile nature of the cordite/rockets & the risk of mines floating back onto the launching ship, doomed this weapon to mothballs. There are no records of UPs bringing down any aircraft. It's entirely possible that this system injured or killed more Britons than enemies due to accidents, fires, etc.

• Cool 3

RivertheRoyal    2,848

Thanks for the write-up! Can't wait for her to come out. :)

I think i'll buy Hood. But will also be looking forward to when HMCS Haida comes along. :). Nice preview Mouse.

• Cool 1

thehelmsman    87

Green arrow before I even read. You just know it's going to be good enough to warrant just as soon as it gets posted. Thanks again, Mouse!

--Helms

LadyJess    111

As always LWM an excellent write up.

Will be waiting for this one to make a debut in the shop.

SgtSullyC3    227

Nice review Mousey! 

However, I'm not going to be dishing out $40 for Hood. I'd like one (she's the freakin' Hood, and she's a beautiful ship!), but when there are other things I'm saving for like Kaga and Enterprise, I'm gonna have to pass on her.

• Cool 1

On paper, Hood has the second lowest range of any of the tier 7 Battleships, though it pays to keep in mind that Colorado can boost her reach from 17.1km up to 19.9km with her Artillery Plotting Room 1 upgrade.

​Minor note:  17.1 km is the range for a stock Colorado.  Once her FCS upgrade is researched, that goes up to 18.8 km.  Which can make Hood the shortest-ranged T7 BB, though admittedly by just 200m.

AquaSquirrel    152

I can't wait for this thing. 

I want to use this in an RN div with Fiji and Belfast. Colonization is coming and this you can't escape!  

paradat    662

So good. Did you get much play time in after the last change?

Phoenix_jz    1,689

Another excellent review!

NrArBZ8_zpstbcakmq5.gif

She's certainly an odd one to tier... I can see how WG might've struggled with this one.

saru_richard    73

holy crapdid wargaming just made an actual balance premium ship? where am i and how did i get here?

Carl    369

Nice one mouse. Any chance we could have the base shell pattern images used to make that GIF in a seperate spoiler so we can more easily compare any two?

Also seriously, stop farming upvotes xD. 

JojoTheMongol    155

​Minor note:  17.1 km is the range for a stock Colorado.  Once her FCS upgrade is researched, that goes up to 18.8 km.  Which can make Hood the shortest-ranged T7 BB, though admittedly by just 200m.

Which is fine because a Gneisenau isn't hitting anything past 15 kilometers unless by dumb luck. 

Captain_Dorja    2,196

I can't help but notice how bad Nagato's accuracy is...

Also, lolorado seems to be missing?

Yeah I know right. The weird thing is, I love the Nagato and I find her main guns to be powerful and accurate. Weird.

@LWM

Love your write ups. Your screen shotting ability is also world class. That dispersion graph was quite illuminating (part of the fruits of your labors with iChase? He said he spent hours firing at buoys while you plotted shell impacts). I'm glad that Hood is going to be good enough, without being crazy good. I shall acquire her as rapidly as internet transactions make possible.

Khafni    639

Never a bad review LWM. I respect and appreciate your time spent on this ship. Hopefully WG doesn't make any final drastic changes (Duca D'Aosta-like) and throw your work into near irrelevance.

But I am confused! This must be a colloquialism I am unfamiliar with. Could you clarify? :trollface:

• Her secondary's suck moose balls.

And I have one question, unrelated to HMSHood, but since you threw Warspite in the mix several times I will ask - what was the Warspite's turret rotation buff, please?

PtooieBoat    25

Just wanted to say the pictures and how you put them together for the preview looks Fantastic!!