sbcptnitro

Fletcher - Best Torpedo Boat

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

27 posts in this topic

I bought back the Fletcher not too long ago as I'm now sorely under-performing in the Gearing.

I set it up as a pure torpedo boat and I have to say, it's quite impressive. I don't even use the guns offensively any more.

I'm liking it!

z8ve2MQ.png

The Fletcher epitomizes everything good about destroyers. It's, quite frankly, the best DD for its tier. 

The Fletcher epitomizes everything good about destroyers. It's, quite frankly, the best DD for its tier. 

Gc9TxiF.gif

Worse DD in my collection.  Gearing works better for me.

I know it's a good ship, but I just couldn't get it to work for me.  It's pretty much my worst performing USN DD.

The Fletcher is like a girlfriend you can always go back to.

She'll still love you, even if you've been slinking around with other botes.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Worse DD in my collection.  Gearing works better for me.

BokS3qJ.jpg   

punishment for this heresy is gulag or exterminus, make your pick

Edited by tcbaker777

A case can be made for the Z-46 being the best tier 9 DD.  I have both, and I find the Z-46 to quite a bit more flexible.  When I go head-to-head with a Fletcher, I have very little fear of it.  When I see a Z-46 while using the Fletcher, I turn the other way.

Fletcher is an amazing boat. Sold it after getting the Gearing (which I LOVE) but ended up buying the Fletcher back too.

Fletcher is an amazing boat. Sold it after getting the Gearing (which I LOVE) but ended up buying the Fletcher back too.

I did the same.  My Gearing is sitting and collecting dust, and the Fletcher is being regularly used.

A case can be made for the Z-46 being the best tier 9 DD.  I have both, and I find the Z-46 to quite a bit more flexible.  When I go head-to-head with a Fletcher, I have very little fear of it.  When I see a Z-46 while using the Fletcher, I turn the other way.

I just got Z-46 and I am mediocre with Z-23. The number may not reflect that but I do feel pretty good with Fletcher so I am interested in hearing the difference between the 2 ships that makes you feel this way. 

Thanks.

Not using your guns still gets you 58 hits? That would be a good hit battle for most IJN boats that are pretending to be gunboats (not counting akizuki).

16 torp hits, but teh damage is low, now I see the difference with type92mod3s, with 16 hits I would have around 230k damage.

Still, I am slowly grinding to fletcher

Not using your guns still gets you 58 hits?

I said not "offensively" using them. Meaning I'm not looking engage in open water, but I will make it difficult for anyone who tries to engage me. With a ~90s reload on torps and OWSF removed, revealing myself just to get a few gun shots off isn't really worth it. Especially in the early game.

I absolutely hated the Benson with a passion, yet the Fletcher is one of my favorite DD's in game. I feel really bad for my Yugumo, because I have much more success with the Fletcher's torpedo's.

Never even thought about getting the Gearing, why spend the credits when I am already at the top of the line performance wise? 

I just got Z-46 and I am mediocre with Z-23. The number may not reflect that but I do feel pretty good with Fletcher so I am interested in hearing the difference between the 2 ships that makes you feel this way. 

Thanks.

Z-46 has nearly the same concealment as Fletcher, but is 1kt faster and has an extra gun.  Its guns have far superior ballistics to Fletcher and they are in twin turrets, and reload with BFT on both ships is only .6sec difference (3 vs 3.6 sec).  It reloads its torpedoes 20 sec faster and the torpedoes are faster in speed.  The Z-46 has hydro which can detect ships at 4.5km and torps around 3.0 which gives you a huge safety net in smoke, or when charging into smoke.  The Z-46 has a significantly larger health pool.

The Fletcher is significantly more maneuverable, has two additional torpedoes per broadside and they do signficantly more damage, and has a decidedly better AA suite, and can also equip defensive file while Z-46 cannot.

Taken as a whole, it is a net positive for the Z-46.

Z-46 has nearly the same concealment as Fletcher, but is 1kt faster and has an extra gun.  Its guns have far superior ballistics to Fletcher and they are in twin turrets, and reload with BFT on both ships is only .6sec difference (3 vs 3.6 sec).  It reloads its torpedoes 20 sec faster and the torpedoes are faster in speed.  The Z-46 has hydro which can detect ships at 4.5km and torps around 3.0 which gives you a huge safety net in smoke, or when charging into smoke.  The Z-46 has a significantly larger health pool.

The Fletcher is significantly more maneuverable, has two additional torpedoes per broadside and they do signficantly more damage, and has a decidedly better AA suite, and can also equip defensive file while Z-46 cannot.

Taken as a whole, it is a net positive for the Z-46.

Fascinating.

Now I really want to start back up the German DD line, got stopped at the stock T7. I need finish my grind to the Yamato first though.

Then I'll hit up the German DD's, unless a new ship line (Royal Navy BB hype) suddenly appears.

why spend the credits when I am already at the top of the line performance wise?

you're not Edited by Umikami

Got myself a Fletcher the other day and it feels pretty damn good, however this guy is right. Z-46 seems scary strong.

you're not

Maybe I'm just biased by how much easier I've always found it to pop Gearing's when in my Missouri and Minotaur. I fear a Gearing far less then a Fletcher simply because of how much easier it is to kill one.

Sure it gains an extra gun, but that doesn't really seem worth the trade off for worse maneuverability and increase vulnerability to AP shells. Especially Battleship AP shells.

Are there other advantages the Gearing has over the Fletcher that I am simply unaware of?

Edited by Jnobsir

Maybe I'm just biased by how much easier I've always found it to pop Gearing's when in my Missouri and Minotaur. I fear a Gearing far less then a Fletcher simply because of how much easier it is to kill one.

Sure it gains an extra gun, but that doesn't really seem worth the trade off for worse maneuverability and increase vulnerability to AP shells. Especially Battleship AP shells.

Are there other advantages the Gearing has over the Fletcher that I am simply unaware of?

Slightly better guns because +1 turret and they are in a forward configuration. You can face other DDs head on whereas in the Fletcher you need to go more broadside in typical USN DD fashion. Slightly more base HP. Slightly longer smoke.

Otherwise, Fletcher is superior to Gearing in all other areas. Better torps, better maneuverability. Better AA.

I'm a true Destroyer Main 

I do love the Fletcher it's a keeper

Z46 versus the Fletcher I take the z46

I'm not saying that the Fletcher can't do it I'm just saying z46 does more

many players love the torps; it has good maneuverability; rapid rotation on turrets; good speed.

trouble is, you are comparing it to possibly the best all around DD in the game; you would be hard pressed to live on the difference!

I enjoy Gearing more than Fletcher because of my playstyle, which I admit is overly aggressive and often results in my early death.

Maybe it's just personality; I like Gearing more.

They are both damn fine ships, and sticking with Fletcher would never be seen as a mistake,

but not giving Gearing a chance would be denying yourself an interesting and rewarding playing experience.

I get 4K salvo hits on gearings with my Z-46 every 3.6 seconds. Love killing Gearings.