Carrier_Lexington

NC versus Alabama, My Take

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

15 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

So, this topic has, I know, made its rounds a lot. People always wondered how the NC was going to remain competitive while Alabama was around, and people also criticized the Alabama for being "better" than the NC.

And she is, at a certain role.

Alabama is a mid-range brawler. Her shell-arc, while definitely very floaty at range, flattens-out enormously under the 10km mark. The Alabama is a boxing-battleship which focuses on punching enemies in the face for massive alpha damage below 15km. Outside of that, and you start to hit terrible dispersion.

The other thing that Alabama does better is turn, which makes it much, much better for dodging torpedoes than NC. However, NC, as more of a sniper, shouldn't need to dodge so much.

By contrast, NC has a much better accuracy, which is, IIRC, reflected in her better Sigma. Whereas Alabama struggles to get hits outside of 15-16km, NC can get hits accurately between 16 and 20km. However, her floaty shell arks mean that she's not as-good for brawling, since most of your shells tend to fly into superstructures and overpenetrate.

Edited by Carrier_Lexington

I've never really had problems brawling in my NC, but the Accuracy on those guns at medium-long range up to 20km is to die for.... and a lot of things in my sights do die for it haha.

I also feel the 'Bama is a bit more tanky than the NC

That rudders shift on the 'Bama. So good.

Edited by saagri

That rudders shift on the 'Bama. So good.

True, I'll edit the post to reflect that.

Why not both, both is good...

I have both and I find Alabama turns so much better and the shells are not as floaty as the NC.  As for brawling u should not be doing it in any US bbs unless in a dire situation or u know for sure u will win.  But I tend to have more confidents in close quarters in the Alabama due to its amazing turning circle.  But that is just me.  Also it is more higher skill ceiling to play USN bbs well tier 8 and up compared to the other nation due to larger citedal areas and super squishy when broad side.  Makes u be very aware of your surroundings and when to turn.  I find it very fun and challenging playing the USN bbs.  Back to the OP I find the Alabama has a slight edge.

Guns on the Alabama feel a bit too German for my preference.  

Guns on the Alabama feel a bit too German for my preference.  

Really?  I find the Alabama is more accurate than the Amagi.  If I were to rate it USN BB,  IJN and then the KM.

Really?  I find the Alabama is more accurate than the Amagi.  If I were to rate it USN BB,  IJN and then the KM.

Did you watch iChase's video on dispersion?  In that video, iChase posted graphs of shell impact and the calculated dispersion at 10 km over 1000 rounds.  The 2 ships he used were the Amagi and North Carolina (pre-buff with 1.8 sigma).  The values for horizontal dispersion were nearly identical (137 m for the NC and 139 m for the Amagi), however, the values for vertical dispersion (overs and unders) were significantly different (451 m for the NC and 634 m for the Amagi).  He pointed out that the Gneisenau also suffers the same problem as the Amagi due to her higher muzzle velocities and that the ships with higher muzzle velocities will tend to have a higher vertical dispersion than ships with lower muzzle velocities.

Alabama: The harder to citadel, takes damage on every hit, very agile BB.  

NC: Floating Citadel, moves like a floating turd in comparison and cant take a torp....

Alabama is the overall better ship.  Smaller citadel, has its deck armor modeled in and working, the worse accuracy isnt that big a deal since this game is basically fight at 8km and closer or risk getting a 100% hit rate.....cuz, I mean, you hit the water 100% of the time...

The way the Alabama bleeds health is annoying, basically any hit is damage, no matter angles.  HE burns it to death, AP just overpens it for damage.  AI cruisers constantly chew mine to pieces with AP even when I angle it.  There is no angle I can sit it and not take cruiser/DD damage.  BBs do worse against it, but DD/CA wreck it...

The 16 inch guns are underwhelming, they miss, over pen, bounce off, ricochet, or just deviate into the water way to much....even beautiful 5km broadsides dont equal citadels.....

Edited by KnightFandragon

The way the Alabama bleeds health is annoying, basically any hit is damage, no matter angles.  HE burns it to death, AP just overpens it for damage.  AI cruisers constantly chew mine to pieces with AP even when I angle it.  There is no angle I can sit it and not take cruiser/DD damage.  BBs do worse against it, but DD/CA wreck it...

As to this, most of my games where I've earned Dreadnaught have happened in Alabama. In fact, I have plenty of stories to tell about taking a few big hits, then bouncing all the rest of the shells and ending games at less than 1,000 HP.

Both NC & Alabama can be played practically the same.  The 'Bama however has 3 nice advantages that gives her user more options than NC.

1.  Shorter hull, less of a ship to get hit, especially torpedoes.

2.  Among the best TDS in the entire game.  I've taken torp shots I felt would have ended me but 'Bama can take it and you live on for a bit more.   Only so much even her great TDS can take but it's a great cushion for bad situations.

3.  Amazing mobility, the best blend of speed and turning radius for a BB in these tiers.  She turns like a USN Standard BB but has the speed capability of NC.  Her low speed handling is so nice, you can do maneuvers in tighter spots with Alabama that no other high tier BB can do.

The last one is easy the best thing about Alabama.  She can do maneuvers no other high tier BB can do and this is immensely good.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

NC can't hit reliably outside 15km either. It is due to slow shell speed.

If I were in a cruiser, I would never fear NC outside 15km. I would have plenty of time to dodge the shells after she fires.

The ship truly becomes scary when coming out of concealment within 12km. The guns are so accurate and devastating at close range.

NC can't hit reliably outside 15km either. It is due to slow shell speed.

If I were in a cruiser, I would never fear NC outside 15km. I would have plenty of time to dodge the shells after she fires.

You say that, but people assume that Battleships can't hit outside 15km. So they don't turn. Granted, it usually isn't a great deal of damage, but I have straight-up paddled Clevelands and other NCs before.

Honestly, my experience in both has been very similar. Even with the differences, they are still very similar, and I pretty much play them exactly the same way. Which is to say I stay at medium range until I find a whole to punch through and then close in. Both of them have good turning circles and waterline citadels, so they are *significantly* better in a brawl than an Iowa, for example.

While neither has the armor of Bismarck or Tirpitz, they make up for it by having 6 guns facing forward, and shells with amazing penetration and damage.