IcyThor

Single shot or salvo?

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

15 posts in this topic

I am playing low tier CLs.  For me its better to single shot than to salvo.  With 2 of my ships I have enough guns and ROF that I can drop a shell on an enemy ship about as fast as I can left click.  It has to be demoralizing to the enemy to die in small pieces.  BBs are the best to single shot.  Most BB drivers tend to not pay much attention to my ship and I can put 40-60 rounds of HE into a BB and burn it to the waterline.  Also, single shot allows me to alter my aim as the enemy ship maneuvers which is more effective against DDs.  Salvo is all or nothing.  Your comments?

I prefer salvo fire on all ships.  It allows me to get the most shots into the target upon initially breaking concealment.  If I catch a ship broadside, it's getting all 12 barrels.  Ripple-firing would give them time to start turning or angling once they know they're being fired upon.  Furthermore, having all the guns reloading at once gives me a bit of a window to right-click and scan for threats in-between shots.

To me I usually like to fire in full salvos because they seem more accurate than single shots. Also if a ship is raining down shells on me in a constant stream I'm going to focus on and swat him down like an annoying fly. My advice to you is just play the way that is most comfortable to you. If you like to fire single shot and it works for you then just keep on doing that, but don't be afraid to try out different things from time to time.

I prefer salvo fire on all ships.  It allows me to get the most shots into the target upon initially breaking concealment.  If I catch a ship broadside, it's getting all 12 barrels.  Ripple-firing would give them time to start turning or angling once they know they're being fired upon.  Furthermore, having all the guns reloading at once gives me a bit of a window to right-click and scan for threats in-between shots.

This; though in some close fights, (under 5k,) with ships like St Louis and Emden/Dresden, I'll sometimes fire hose because it's easier to shoot and maneuver at the same time that way.

If I am shooting at a target that is 100% [edited]then I shoot the whole thing... If I think he will turn I wait a second and if he does not turn, let fly the shells...
IF he starts to turn or is turning I pick my spot(s) and ripple fire all my guns in the path of the turn... and that usually makes for some interesting chat after a few turns...

If you fire a full salvo and he turns as you fire, you will miss most if not all... if you send ONE shell and bait him to turn..? then ripple fire is a safe bet to land more than a few...

If I am shooting at a target that is 100% [edited]then I shoot the whole thing... If I think he will turn I wait a second and if he does not turn, let fly the shells...

IF he starts to turn or is turning I pick my spot(s) and ripple fire all my guns in the path of the turn... and that usually makes for some interesting chat after a few turns...

If you fire a full salvo and he turns as you fire, you will miss most if not all... if you send ONE shell and bait him to turn..? then ripple fire is a safe bet to land more than a few...

This is why single shot works well for me.  When a target is bow or stern to me and zig zagging, I fire one to his port, one straight on and one to his starboard.  One will usually land and sometimes I get 2 hits.  Often the driver gets so annoyed he will do a kamikaze run straight at me and that's when I angle myself to bring most of my guns to bear.

Salvo most of the time, especially when target is broadside and begging to eat multiple citadel and be insta deleted.

Ripple fire at multiple points along the targets axis of direction when it's a wiggly bastard so I ensure at least one or two shells hit.

I used to fire one shot at ships at mid to longer ranges, watch my shells trajectory, then adjust my aim and fire off the rest of the guns.  The lead you give any particular type of ship varies from type to type. I also finally found a aiming reticle that works well for me too. After alot of practice and playing higher tier ships mostly, I've learned what ships to give the proper amount of lead to considering most people like to sail at full speed, it's easier to judge lead.  

I tend to ripple fire my shots in close succession unless i see a broadside target turning or a target turning broadside then they get a full salvo, with USN DDs i like to annoy BBs so i evenly spread my shots so that there is a constant rain of shells.

I tend to ripple fire my shots in close succession unless i see a broadside target turning or a target turning broadside then they get a full salvo, with USN DDs i like to annoy BBs so i evenly spread my shots so that there is a constant rain of shells.

I ripple fire BBs.  No matter which way the driver turns an artillery shell is waiting.  Its like being attacked by 1,000 mosquitoes.  Most drivers lose patience and make a fatal mistake under a constant rain of shells.

I almost always prefer full salvos - the idea, I believe, is to eliminate an enemy as fast as possible.

Full salvo is generally the way to go.  As others have said, it's preferable when the enemy is broadside as they may start turning - you want to do maximum damage before they correct their mistake.  Also, if you fire single shot, you'll spend all your time zeroed in on your target.  Tunnel vision is already a huge problem in the game.  Usually after I fire a salvo in my BB, I'll take the opportunity to look around to see potential incoming fire, make sure I'm not sailing into land, check the mini-map, chat, etc.  In other words, you want to make sure you're not spending all of your time aiming and shooting, and salvo is the best way to accomplish this. 

That being said, there certainly are times where it's advantageous not to shoot a full salvo.  I've tricked other ships into exposing broadside by firing a few shots (so they think I've fired all my guns and it's safe to try and turn around) and then hitting them hard with the remaining ~50% of my shells.  Also, there can be a psychological effect of raining down a constant stream of shells on an enemy BB.  The St. Louis, as others have noted, is probably the best example of this as it will drive the other player nuts.

Full salvo is generally the way to go.  As others have said, it's preferable when the enemy is broadside as they may start turning - you want to do maximum damage before they correct their mistake.  Also, if you fire single shot, you'll spend all your time zeroed in on your target.  Tunnel vision is already a huge problem in the game.  Usually after I fire a salvo in my BB, I'll take the opportunity to look around to see potential incoming fire, make sure I'm not sailing into land, check the mini-map, chat, etc.  In other words, you want to make sure you're not spending all of your time aiming and shooting, and salvo is the best way to accomplish this.

Tunnel vision is an issue I am dealing with now.  It leads me into bad situations too often.  Most of my shots are at distance against an angling ship.  Ripple fire is the only way to correct my aim.

I almost always prefer full salvos - the idea, I believe, is to eliminate an enemy as fast as possible.

Slower firing ships like BB I generally full salvo (except against wiggly long range dodgers).

In faster rof ships like the Atlanta or rn cruisers I like ripple fire.

Basically, if I can have multiple salvos in the air at once before the first lands, I like ripple fire for the demoralizing effect of being subject to a constant rain f fire from the sky... otherwise that devastating alpha strike is more effective.

Posted (edited) · Report post

i feel sequential fire works better for long ship/ more than 3 turret ship. otherwise salvo tends to spread out bigger?

for slow shell, fuso, i usually click 1 to estimate range then salvo out everything,  or click each turret randomly if i see wiggling ships

Edited by callphy