Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
twitch133

Help Twitch play a better battleship

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

5 posts in this topic

I feel I have DD's fairly well figured out. At least the ones that I enjoy playing. (Tier 7-10 on both USN and VMF lines and Clemson). I may pick up the German line eventually. But, I feel like I have enough ships that I really enjoy and do well in between the two lines to keep me entertained for quite some time.

The other two types of ships though. My win rates in them are 7 and 9 points behind DD's, with the worst of the two being BB's. I just cannot seem to figure them out. I am either overextended, and getting focused to death without doing any decent damage in return, or too far back, with no good targets to shoot at. I cannot seem to find that balancing point to save my life. And It makes me really feel at the mercy of the match maker in BB's. Were as I feel that I can confidently say I am in control of my own win rate in a DD. I just don't have the skills or strategy to affect the outcome of the battle in a BB. 

On of the biggest things, is... In order to feel like I have carried my own weight in a BB. I feel I need to have done my tier x 10,000 damage, with at least one kill. That is just breaking even in my mind. I can't seem to do that reliably. My averages in all of my BB's are 10-20k below that. I just don't feel like I have the ability to make those game changing plays in a BB.

Some case studies...

Game one is Standard Battle on Shatter. 

I feel like the work that we did to hold the east flank was not all that great. We did a good job of getting rid of the Chapy. A good job of focusing Bismark and Iowa. I feel like I spent too much health on the confrontation with Iowa. Then that Schors.... Got a few good early hits on him, but once I was the only one shooting at him, his WASD hax were stronger than my ability to predict.

I was planning on Pushing the flank once we only had the SChors to deal with, But, I noticed that most of the flank fell around me, and pushing in alone with a CV would have been suicide. Plus our other flank fell. I think I should have been a little more proactive returning to the base, but I got so focused on Schors, I lost track of the minimap. By the time I started back it was far too late.

The second battle is a victory on Loop.

There is really not much to say about this one other than, by the time the round had been decided, I had only managed to do 25,000 damage. I am fairly certain I made no meaningful contribution to this one, and the team would have still won if I was AFK. Every bit of damage I did above 25k and the only kill I had were just farming sheep that were already in the slaughter house. It made no difference. 

The only thing that I think I could have done on this one was a different deployment out of spawn. Maybe go B? But I felt that two lone destroyers at A needed the help. 

The third round was a loss on Haven. 

I m not sure if there was anything that I could have done on this one. I started to push the west flank with the team. Doing meh damage to targets of opportunity as I pushed. But I saw that our east flank fell pretty fast, so I fell back to base to try and resolve that issue. The biggest thing that I question was my target selection while defending the base. I am not sure what else I could have done.

Thanks in advance for any pointers. Please help a BB scrub out, lol. I really hate to sound like I need a tin foil hat. 

The replay pages if anybody prefers that way.

https://wowreplays.com/Replay/36649-twitch133-Alabama-Shatter

https://wowreplays.com/Replay/36643-twitch133-Alabama-Loop

https://wowreplays.com/Replay/36642

how do you have your captain set for Alabama? I find concealment builds work the best with us bb's

Hey, I think I do ok in BBs.  I prefer the US line and held at the Rado (my favorite) for a long while.  I will look at your videos and give some more specific advice later when I can.  Until then though one thing stands out in your original post.  You mentiond doing damage as being the measure of carrying your weight.  In a BB that shouldnt be the only measure.  Yes doing damage will get you to the top of the leader boards but it allone will not carry the team or be doing your fair share.  A BB MUST tank damage.  It has the armor, heals and HP pool  greater than any other ship type.  I had a battle in my NC yesterday 2.3 million in potential damage, do you know how many CAs DDs and BBs stayed in the fight because of that much damage absorbed?

Tank damage, blow holes in CAs, and be willing to sacrifice your ship for the win.  I will have more later.

how do you have your captain set for Alabama? I find concealment builds work the best with us bb's

I play all of my USN BB's with a stealth build except for Montana. I am still working on my Capt on that one.

I like Surprise deleting cruisers. But... I can't seem to reliably delete anyone from any range.

Hey, I think I do ok in BBs.  I prefer the US line and held at the Rado (my favorite) for a long while.  I will look at your videos and give some more specific advice later when I can.  Until then though one thing stands out in your original post.  You mentiond doing damage as being the measure of carrying your weight.  In a BB that shouldnt be the only measure.  Yes doing damage will get you to the top of the leader boards but it allone will not carry the team or be doing your fair share.  A BB MUST tank damage.  It has the armor, heals and HP pool  greater than any other ship type.  I had a battle in my NC yesterday 2.3 million in potential damage, do you know how many CAs DDs and BBs stayed in the fight because of that much damage absorbed?

Tank damage, blow holes in CAs, and be willing to sacrifice your ship for the win.  I will have more later.

My thing with damage is. Not only do I need to be tanking it, seeing as I have the best armor and largest HP pool on my team, I need to be using both of those properly. I feel like I need to be doing the damage too to help with the win. Seeing as BB's should be one of, if not the main damage dealer on the team as well.

At least that is my point of view of it. 

I cannot seem to find that balance between over and under extended. Somewhere where I am not getting focused before I can use all of my heals, or doing 90-100k damage with a couple of sinks.

I probably should have included my potential damage figures in my metrics. Below is what I see as barely carrying my own weight in a BB. If I can't do that I feel I am an active detriment to my team. The problem is, I can't seem to get the target selection and positioning down to pull this off on a regular basis.

>1.5 million potential damage.

> My tier times 10,000 damage

One or more frags.

I feel like I have the mechanics down with BB's... (Although I may be completely wrong about that, seeing as I can't seem to delete cruisers on a regular basis.) I just cannot figure out how to position myself to win the game.

OP, just some little things as I watched your first video.

Early match, where you're in the NW, be very, very careful about sailing broadside like you were going East to West.  You were engaging Cruisers at 15km or so.  The concern to me isn't the Cruisers, it's the Battleships.  That opens you up to some crazy long range citadels to some BB if he gets lucky with hits.  This is most especially true if you're facing the long range power of high tier BBs, especially when you're in a Tier X match.  You'd be surprised how well some of those Yamato players can hit you at range.

At 5:23 mark, I saw your target choices:  Somewhat angled Bismarck at 11km or a broadside Schors at 15km.  Personally, I would have hit Bismarck with your AP.  Bismarck was close and not that well angled.  You would have gotten some good damage in on her at that time if you fired at her first instead of Schors further back.

The part where you knife fight the Iowa was fine.  The location where you fought, as part of the north group and fighting on the south facing of that island, is a dangerous spot.  Not for that match in particular, it's just in other situations you'd be very exposed in that part to south team's gunfire.

Also, I get what you were trying to do to sail to the northeast and help defend the cap.  I also knew right away you wanted that Schors further south that was being a PITA.  You were also already at half HP.  Your priority was right, go back and defend the cap but you continued to shoot with your HP at half, and you were expecting a fight at the cap already.  Something to consider is that the moment you decided to go help defend your cap was to stop engaging Schors, "Go Dark" into concealment and sail NE in stealth.  Continuing to fire only shows you up on the map when you should be saving your HP for the cap defense.  If you're detected, then you can be targeted.  Schors keeps baiting you to fire as you try to get that killer salvo on her.  But every time you fire you put yourself on the map for her to attack you.

Short of you somehow 1-shotting stuff and racking up kills, I don't think you could have done much more from your end.  Your eastern group of your team had a huge collapse.  When the bulk of your team gets rolled it gets extremely hard to stop that steamroller.  Your western group was still engaged then had to shift to cap defense.  It's a losing recipe.

Also since this was a CV match, just a word of warning.  Even with USN BB AA, you have to be careful, especially high tier CVs.  You were facing Tier IX Essex.  High Tier USN BB AA is good in swatting some planes down but Tier IX & X CV planes are pretty tough for your AA and fast.  They'll get hits on you regardless.  I know the match was already s--t by the time the CV attacked you, but for future reference, in CV matches I recommend sailing near other ships.  Cruisers, other BBs for mutual air defense.  Cruisers especially the ones that tend to have good AA and Defensive Fire to panic bombers.  A solo BB is a prime target for CV attack.  When Essex decided to attack you, you were already in pretty bad shape so your AA gun modules had already taken a beating.  Which brings up another thing... CVs can "wait it out" for battles to cause damage to even high AA rating BBs before they commit bombers against you.  Even an AA Spec Iowa, Montana will not hold back a high tier CV strike once they've been worn down enough with a bunch of AA guns knocked out.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0