Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zionas

It's so hard to be an aggressive BB player these days.

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

16 posts in this topic

Since 0.6.3. there has been a shift towards an extremely passive meta. HE spamming cruisers and destroyers galore. Teams playing defensively, yet matches are somehow won. A lot more blowouts. Your fellows BBs are likely sitting in the back, sniping. The life of a BB has certainly got more difficult compared to two months ago.

My Gneisenau still can lead the charge, do a lot of damage, and survive... :trollface:

I do alright. I don't care about dying though.

Since 0.6.3. there has been a shift towards an extremely passive meta. HE spamming cruisers and destroyers galore. Teams playing defensively, yet matches are somehow won. A lot more blowouts. Your fellows BBs are likely sitting in the back, sniping. The life of a BB has certainly got more difficult compared to two months ago.

Since 0.6.3?  What server have you been playing on?  Battleships have always been passive, especially at high tiers.  Low to mid tiers is a slightly different matter -- you'll see more aggressive battleship players there -- but from tier 7 up, you'll start seeing a lot of battleships plinking at enemies 20km away and watching all their cruisers and destroyers die trying to push objectives without doing much to help.  A depressing number of them don't even serve as particularly good damage sponges, because they're either too far away to take any fire at all, or they potato and die instantaneously.

One of the reasons why the Shimakaze was nerfed almost into oblivion was all the tier 8-10 BBs complaining about "torp soup" and saying how, if only it weren't for those gosh-darned destroyers, they'd be aggressive and push right into objectives, you betcha!  Naturally, even when "torp soup" became less of a threat, what with radar and hydroacoustic and every ship and its cousin having aircraft of some description, high-tier BBs still found reasons to turn and run for the back of the map.  So I hope you're not expecting BBs to, generally speaking, get more aggressive once you get to the high tiers.

Because if you are, you're in for crushing disappointment.

mostly just poor BB playing.  I play my t6 bayern in t8 match and frequently come out as top BB .     heck, I do that  pretty often, and BBs are my least played class. :P  

I've been playing more BB and CA  because I can carry the team the best.  DDs are worst and prone to derping.   at low tier,  you can do pretty well with cruisers as well, but  Ishizuchi and KA just can totally wreck.  at mid tier, I find German BBs are best for carry  due to their speed, tankiness and just all around OP.    IJN is close but their lack of conceal makes them  more prone to be focused if they are bottom tiered, which makes them tougher to play.       no matter which class, you can only be as aggressive as opponent team allows.   no more no less.   

I do alright. I don't care about dying though.

THIS. Definitly this.

It doesnt hurt to let your team know that you play aggresively, youd be suprised how many people will push with you.

Being aggressive is easy

Succeeding is a different story.

It drives me insane when we're behind on caps and points and I clearly communicate that I intend to make a push into one of them and everyone just continues to hide behind islands while my 105k HP damage sponge goes completely to waste and we cap nothing.

See now this used to be my problem, but ive always been an aggressive BB player. I love pushing and getting into the fight. Even in tier 8-10 I still love playing aggressively. Snipers can go to hell lol. I usually let it known I'm aggressive, and I push. and sometimes people follow, sometimes they don't. it just depends

See now this used to be my problem, but ive always been an aggressive BB player. I love pushing and getting into the fight. Even in tier 8-10 I still love playing aggressively. Snipers can go to hell lol. I usually let it known I'm aggressive, and I push. and sometimes people follow, sometimes they don't. it just depends

I think I've played some games with you. I remember you being very aggressive to be sure. Had to fight with you over space at the front. who would be closer to the reds, and I was in my Shimakaze.

I think I've played some games with you. I remember you being very aggressive to be sure. Had to fight with you over space at the front. who would be closer to the reds, and I was in my Shimakaze.

​Yeah, I like being aggressive, especially at tier 9 and 10. Because NO ONE expects a top tier BB to be aggressive, I think I remember you as well. No one expects a yamato to be at the front lines of battle 

The only reason it's hard is because most BB players are cowards. You push with a group and then most of them turn away as soon as a shell flies, forgetting that they are designed almost entirely to tank damage and should just push up and concentrate fire together. The one or two ships that make it to the front get rekt, and when they die they are accused of being "too aggressive", or "too scared" when they try to retreat after losing most of their HP  by the time the coward BBs finally decide to show up.

When BBs are aggressive and push together, nothing can stop them. It's literally all momentum, and the momentum of 4 or 5 BBs pushing together (or even 2 BBs and a few cruisers or DDs) is hard to counter unless the opposing force is similarly united and aggressive. This is how points are taken and heavy concentrated damage is done. Most BB players just don't do this, and until they learn otherwise, nothing is going to change.

I just checked my 90 day stats and BBs have significantly higher WR for me as well as stats. All solo stats.      2 thing you will always want to have is premium repair and heal plus +20% heal flag if possible.  I almost always find a time and place to push hard when I see a chance (usually against 1 or 2 ship flank)  with my skill level. if I am against strong flank, I will kite.   both bayern and bismarck has secondary build .   most cruisers love having BB with them to tank.   just have enough situation awareness to turn away and not get isolated.

Bismarck 8 BB  Germany 66 65.15% 83,213 1,272 2.3 1.2 2.3 47% 29% 0% 1,349
  König Albert 3 BB  Germany 58 72.41% 46,582 797 4.3 1.5 0.1 66% 30% 0% 1,130
  Ishizuchi 4 BB  Japan 50 76.00% 63,120 940 5.2 1.9 0.1 64% 26% 0% 1,652
  Bayern 6 BB  Germany 47 68.09% 63,274 1,081 3.7 1.4 1.5 62% 30% 0% 1,411
  Fuso 6 BB  Japan 39 61.54% 75,479 1,197 3.8 1.5 0.8 59% 25% 0% 1,534
  Amagi 8 BB  Japan 11 54.55% 81,024 1,148 3.0 1.4 1.8 55% 27% 0% 1,390

I am fairly new to BBs, but to me, it seems like success comes from methodical aggression. The more successful BBs I have seen make sure to position themselves well, by limiting the number of targets that can attack them, and then pushing at times when those being pushed are basically the only ones who can engage them. They don't sit back at maximum range and snipe all game, but they don't give flame throwers free reign to light fires all day either.

I am fairly new to BBs, but to me, it seems like success comes from methodical aggression. The more successful BBs I have seen make sure to position themselves well, by limiting the number of targets that can attack them, and then pushing at times when those being pushed are basically the only ones who can engage them. They don't sit back at maximum range and snipe all game, but they don't give flame throwers free reign to light fires all day either.

This is the trick. Finding that balance. Which is hard to do when you don't necessarily know how your teammates are going to play around you. Considering the consequences for playing too aggressively are far more immediately apparent than not playing aggressively enough, most guys default to the latter.

--Helms

One of the reasons German BBs are successful is that you can start a push, discover your teammates bailing out on you, and disengage without getting totally wrecked (most of the time).  You do have to be more careful in BBs with accessible citadels - even the Yamato.

The two keys (1) are positioning so that you minimize potential damage to yourself while maximizing damage to the enemy, and (2) knowing when to push forward.

It drives me nearly insane when all of the BBs flock to the first cap we take and then camp there...

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0