dEsTurbed1

Why do CC's lie to us: the French cruisers.

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

29 posts in this topic

I am up to tier 5, almost tier 6.

From the beginning, most community contributes posted videos and commentary about how weak and fragile these cruisers are. They question why WG even released them.

Tier 1, I got 6 citadel in a match...woth practice HE.

Tier 2, range was good, he strong.

Tier 3, airplane and todos?

Tier 4, AP citadel from 10 km? Weak?

Tier 5, bouncing Kongo AP from 7 km?

Starting fires almost every salvo...

Maneuverable. 

And I got high caliber, 113k damage, my first one in months.

Now if a 48% potato can fall in love and do well in these ships, it is obvious that CC'S wanted to hide the secret these ships held...

I say make them walk the plank for their lies....

(Some sarcasm my be present, performance is real though)

Maybe the French love you back..~

You might've clicked in very well with the French. iChase did comment on how the tier 8 was like a cousin of Mogami with that fire chance.

French cruisers, because making french toast out of enemy BBs has never being so easy 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Keep in mind that CC opinion is most likely slightly-biased because they tend to get focused down whenever they're in a match - in a new ship especially.  Thus they're more acute to the defensive weaknesses of a ship than most players.

Edited by TenguBlade

All Cruisers are fragile.

Pretty much. I've tanked a million damage in my Algerie, but that's mostly pulling hard evasive maneuvers.

New lines must be released at a competitive basis or even slightly over-powered.  Otherwise, no one will pursue the new line.  The simple truth is that any super OP ships will get nerfed after release.  IF the line is OP compared to other lines, it will only get equalized with time... through power creep... as other lines ships get buffed.

When watching or reading a CC's review you need to recognize that they are doing nothing more than relaying their experiences and opinions to you. Your experiences can and most likely will vary.

Im at tier 6 and struggling to get a win . so far ive not decided if its worth the rest of the way to 10.

Keep in mind that CC opinion is most likely slightly-biased because they tend to get focused down whenever they're in a match - in a new ship especially.  Thus they're more acute to the defensive weaknesses of a ship than most players.

This, so much this, made even ST a pain on public server. 

French cruisers, because making french toast out of enemy BBs has never being so easy 

so true, so true.

true, but there is some sarcasm in my post.

I watch 6 or 7 different Youtubers , so i take what i hear and see and form my own opinions. 

Now I thought the French would be A LOT squishier than they are.

I thought AP would not be effective past 7 km.

I thought HE would be weaker.

So the joys of the French are a real suprise.

When watching or reading a CC's review you need to recognize that they are doing nothing more than relaying their experiences and opinions to you. Your experiences can and most likely will vary.

I do...it is a bit better than the first golden age when it would take them hours to get enough footage due to being focused on so hard.

Now I think they don't get focused down as much as ST do.

not only that, but they aren't always able to make update videos when WG changes the ships' characteristics!:read_fish:  Edited by BladedPheonix

Always remember: Paint the French girl right, and they will love you forever. Paint them wrong and they will paint the sea red with blood from your still beating heart.

- A Jilted French Cruiser Player

Edited by Zero_Kelvin

Agreed- I almost didn't bother to try them.  Almost.

Playing was instant love!  Blasted through the tier 1 in a single match.  Multiple citadels gotten.  Tier 2 took only a couple of games- more citadels.  Tier 3 I loved so much, it's a keeper ship.  I'm halfway through 4, and loving it, too.  Can't wait for the higher tier ones where they actually get "powerful" lol!

I have no "good" French captains- my best is just barely 7 points- so there will be no free xp-ing.  I want to enjoy each ship!

I'm so bad in T6, that I keep playing it and almost laugh at it. Bull hull, all upgrades, 6 pt captain. Seems out of element. They took some gun output and lowered the speed and gave you two torps per side, at 9 km. No heal, no smoke. compared to Edinburg, what is the draw to this line, or is this intentional feeder HP to the other ships ?

Edited by Ericson38

I was meh on t5, but t4 and t6 has been fine.    t6 has enough range and decent enough gun to be viable.       you do need to run LS though as you lose rudder a lot.    after 6 match grinding upgrades, it is my best performing Cruiser at t6.  

Edited by centarina

I was meh on t5, but t4 and t6 has been fine.    t6 has enough range and decent enough gun to be viable.       you do need to run LS though as you lose rudder a lot.    after 6 match grinding upgrades, it is my best performing Cruiser.  

​My favorite is Cleveland, with 16 pt captain. Demo expert and IFHE are great help on Cleve's HE. Sets big fires fast. My French boat has rudder upgrade (mod 2). In last match just now Scharnhorst got me in 5 minutes battle time. They come at you, there is no trepidation from the red team on these boats. On other hand, I sank a Colorado with Cleve with fires and HE, but he got me first....then he sank 10 seconds later. Edited by Ericson38

I haven't run a cleveland in a year, so I can't say much on it.  I did alright when I had her, but I am much better now.  didn't like the arc, but lot of pew pew.   Le Gal is more nurnberglike.   you have to play smart with cover and  distance and not get focused.  I burned down a Gnei yesterday, as well as kited a few ships.   but then I am used to running high tier CAs.    I only have 6 point captain on Le Gal and I am averaging over 50k  after 6 matches.  I just got it fully upgraded after 6 matches.    

Cleveland is bit more forgiving though for sure , especially at closer range.   12km is as close as I want to get to in most higher tier .   I do run  upgrade speed module and premium speed, so I can control my range pretty well.    speed change also allow me to be bit more elusive.     I am looking forward to algier though.    

French cruisers a like the mouthy little kid on a bike who stops 30 yards away from you a yells abuse. He will do it all day long but he always has a foot on the pedal to ensure that if you turn he can run because if he gets caught he is in a world of hurt.

The only difference is this kid has a napalm launcher.

French cruisers a like the mouthy little kid on a bike who stops 30 yards away from you a yells abuse. He will do it all day long but he always has a foot on the pedal to ensure that if you turn he can run because if he gets caught he is in a world of hurt.

The only difference is this kid has a napalm launcher.

French Cruiser Fire % below Tier X aren't any special though.  They have longer range than is typical of many 203mm armed CAs for several tiers but their Fire%, shell arc, shell velocity isn't any special.  The lack of good shell velocity and arc is kind of a PITA for them even with that longer range.  Their best engagement ranges are still basically the same at around 15-16km... Just like USN & IJN CAs.

The Russian Cruisers with their spammier guns, long range, low shell arcs, extremely high shell velocities are the Napalm Launching Cruisers as a line.

French Cruiser Fire % below Tier X aren't any special though.  They have longer range than is typical of many 203mm armed CAs for several tiers but their Fire%, shell arc, shell velocity isn't any special.  The lack of good shell velocity and arc is kind of a PITA for them even with that longer range.  Their best engagement ranges are still basically the same at around 15-16km... Just like USN & IJN CAs.

The Russian Cruisers with their spammier guns, long range, low shell arcs, extremely high shell velocities are the Napalm Launching Cruisers as a line.

I'm not a good cruiser captain, just far too many bad habits from running DDs. Have not run my USSR cruisers in a year, got to Chappy and stalled. I have enjoyed going up the French line though so finishing the grind to Moskva might just be my next project.

The comparison to German cruisers like Nurnberg is a pretty good analogy- I never thought of that.  It's been a while though.   They do play a bit like that; with the obvious differences of having good HE, and a balanced turret arrangement.   You have to be wary when you play them, because they won't stand for being focused- but anyone oblivious or foolish enough to ignore you is in for a world of hurt!

While the community contributors are for the most part good players, they are playing ships cold without properly grinding the lines and getting accustomed to their play style and comparing it to ships they are seasoned veterans in. Also, a lot of times while stuff is work in progress. Often times they change their opinion when they grind the line more thoroughly. Id never rush ahead because of their work in progress or day of launch impressions from a CC but I'll definitely watch their videos as much as I can to stay informed and entertained.