You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
IronMike11B4O

Belfast

46 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
8,111 posts
5,524 battles
On 29/07/2017 at 7:32 PM, Herr_Reitz said:

Funny think about the Belfast. So much hatred for her "OP-ness". It's known as a "BUY signal". Buy her. Play her. One day she may no longer be for sale. They can't pull one of those "system-wide" game mechanic changes on her because the whole premise for her was smoke/hydro/ wash/repeat. 

Would really be great if they said "no more sales of Belfast". Wow would the hatred really flow then, eh? 

That day has now come. Sit back and watch the results.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,710 posts
32 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

That day has now come. Sit back and watch the results.

Indeed. 

[ARRGG]
Members
4,832 posts
7,979 battles
On 5/10/2017 at 10:01 AM, Sovereigndawg said:

I don't seem to do so well with the Belfast. I have to figure out what I am doing wrong with her, I don't do so hot with the Atago either. Most people love Belfast and Atago but they are 2 of my worst performing Premiums.

Got the same issues, it’s tough when you’ve got a lot of games in certain ships that can take a different play style and then get a ship like Belfast that performs great in situational stealthy settings but being to aggressive is not its strongpoint ...Its a paper tiger that everbody likes to shoot at to get rid of your radar it seems

it’s one ship that the new smoke mechanics will hurt I suppose,have lots of games in her sometimes do real well sometimes not

fun boat though

Members
1,120 posts
95 battles
On 10/21/2017 at 8:18 PM, HMCS_Devilfish said:

Got the same issues, it’s tough when you’ve got a lot of games in certain ships that can take a different play style and then get a ship like Belfast that performs great in situational stealthy settings but being to aggressive is not its strongpoint ...Its a paper tiger that everbody likes to shoot at to get rid of your radar it seems

it’s one ship that the new smoke mechanics will hurt I suppose,have lots of games in her sometimes do real well sometimes not

fun boat though

I sold my Belfast during the recent offer for full refund. The problem I have with Belfast compared to the rest of RN cruiser line is that she completely relies on one arbitrary gimmick - radar, and on the fact that hopefully no one on enemy team can shoot into smoke accurately. I'm not worried at all if I get citadelled in smoke when driving a Fiji or Edinburgh - it's just the way of life for RN cruiser captain. But then those boats have a great heal, so even if I get a double citadels and left with 5% HP, I will recover a big chunk of that and still be able to fight.

This doesn't work with Belfast. If there's someone on enemy team who can shoot into smoke, you're screwed. You get a citadel in the smoke and then you are left on such a low hp that you're living on a borrowed time. 

[ARRGG]
Members
4,832 posts
7,979 battles
17 minutes ago, geser98 said:

I sold my Belfast during the recent offer for full refund. The problem I have with Belfast compared to the rest of RN cruiser line is that she completely relies on one arbitrary gimmick - radar, and on the fact that hopefully no one on enemy team can shoot into smoke accurately. I'm not worried at all if I get citadelled in smoke when driving a Fiji or Edinburgh - it's just the way of life for RN cruiser captain. But then those boats have a great heal, so even if I get a double citadels and left with 5% HP, I will recover a big chunk of that and still be able to fight.

This doesn't work with Belfast. If there's someone on enemy team who can shoot into smoke, you're screwed. You get a citadel in the smoke and then you are left on such a low hp that you're living on a borrowed time. 

I kept my Belfast,have Special Captain Jack Dunkirk in her that  gives 30% increase in smoke diameter instead of 20% when you have that Captain skill 

I made the mistake of selling my Atlanta and then they buffed the succer so I’ll keep it

Members
1,120 posts
95 battles

Be what may, but I doubt I'd miss her. We just never clicked and if I want to have fun in RN cruiser, my go to ship is Fiji, always Fiji.

uk_cruiser.thumb.JPG.6a93883c9dace7472c4d6f4b3d3214e8.JPG

[S_B]
Members
417 posts
11,876 battles

To me the Belfast is the type of ship that can control the outcome of a game even when low tier. I can successfully block one side of the map while pouring HE and AP shells into several different ships sitting safely back in my smoke. Many enemy captains are stubborn and won't turn away suffering damage they could have avoided. I feel I'm very successful in battles 2 out of 3 times I play the ship. I enjoy the Belfast and Tirpitz the most among all my ships but I try and spread my playing among all my ships. 

[PT-SD]
Members
104 posts
10,335 battles

I have no troubles with my Belfast! In fact I would rate it as the best British

ship in my fleet.

[AAA]
Members
547 posts
6,467 battles

I love my Belfast but it’s not a solo warrior. Got better range than the Atlanta but similar play style. Run with other CL/CA or BB. BB will love having the fast around. It wrecks enemy bbs with HE and is a general nuisance to all enemy ships. But it has to have friends around that absorb enemy fire.  

Turns on a dime. I use smoke as an escape from bad position or like the other day I slowed behind island cover and slowly emerged popping smoke. I deleted a KGV and CA before my smoke cleared. 

Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles
28 minutes ago, wstugamd said:

Turns on a dime. I use smoke as an escape from bad position or like the other day I slowed behind island cover and slowly emerged popping smoke. I deleted a KGV and CA before my smoke cleared. 

That's Interesting I use the smoke in a different way( your second way) more often.

First I position myself in a way that I can try engaging ships for the full duration of my smoke and then I fire away till my smoke fades and after that I maintain distance and wiggle around till I can lay smoke again.

I repeat this playstyle usually.

If ships move away or drop off detection, I wait a while, in case I can engage a new target and then just abandon smoke.

I also hold onto my smoke and often am an aggressive smoke user. In some games I use smoke only once and maybe another time a few seconds before the end as I was really low on health because I can't get the optimal situation I mentioned above. 

Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles
On 11/10/2017 at 1:13 AM, dust340man said:

To me the Belfast is the type of ship that can control the outcome of a game even when low tier. I can successfully block one side of the map while pouring HE and AP shells into several different ships sitting safely back in my smoke. Many enemy captains are stubborn and won't turn away suffering damage they could have avoided. I feel I'm very successful in battles 2 out of 3 times I play the ship. I enjoy the Belfast and Tirpitz the most among all my ships but I try and spread my playing among all my ships. 

Precisely, I helped keep a flank with an Iowa once and we harassed the opponents. There were a few close calls when another Iowa started pushing in but the player wasn't commiting to the push, he kept on turning away at intervals I presume to move to the middle.

But the player wasn't able to decide what to do so we managed to survive. The others eventually got tired and just moved away where other team mates finished them off. We secured the Cap too, so it was a win-win.

Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles
On 11/9/2017 at 10:20 AM, geser98 said:

she completely relies on one arbitrary gimmick - radar, 

Calling it a gimmick would be an understatement lol.

I however believe her true weapon is the ability to fire HE, angling can't help.

And she can also mount the concealment upgrade in the fifth slot.

[ARGSY]
Members
8,111 posts
5,524 battles

Radar, HE, Smoke... and unlike the Perth, she belonged to a nation with a mainline tech tree. Why anyone would have given her back, unless they hated her and already had other British premium ships, is beyond me. Did they know she was going to be removed at the time? Because then it seems doubly counterproductive to have let her go.

[PVE]
Members
7,239 posts
12,499 battles
On 5/10/2017 at 1:01 PM, Sovereigndawg said:

I don't seem to do so well with the Belfast. I have to figure out what I am doing wrong with her, I don't do so hot with the Atago either. Most people love Belfast and Atago but they are 2 of my worst performing Premiums.

Yeah I do better in Fiji than Belfast. However I just got Belfast and not a lot of games so need more time. To this point Fiji feels stronger to me.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,887 posts
12,189 battles
On 11/8/2017 at 11:50 PM, geser98 said:

I don't have the problems you do.  I'd give up my radar long before I gave up my smoke.  Radar's nice to have.  Smoke is essential.

[TOG]
Members
3,029 posts
16,305 battles
On 11/8/2017 at 11:50 PM, geser98 said:

I hold on to a ship anytime WG is buying them back.  She does have a gimmick. Smoke. not radar. She doesn't have super heal or torps (God knows one or the other would have been useful), but the HE is a good way to balance the ship.

To be properly positioned is the key when in smoke. The biggest dangers are:

1. Torpedoes coming in while in smoke

2. Being shot at while in smoke

3. Firing away before the smoke conceals you

4.  Sitting still when the smoke runs out.

1. You have to think of your exit vector and what red ships are around (especially dd's) when you pop smoke. Do not go full broadside when you do pop smoke. Angle away. Turn on the radar when you're in the smoke. I recommend having vigilance as part of your captain skills.

3. I used to go full reverse, pop the smoke then keep shooting . I found out it's a bad idea. why? Because you're still visible until your speed go below 1/4 . Making you a setting target. Of course if your sitting still and broadside before you get concealed...

2. If your firing sitting still, you're a concealed sitting target. Move inside the smoke or move behind the smoke. I recommend firing salvo rather than ripple fire.

4.  Keep the eye on the smoke time. When it drops to 15 seconds, I recommend running at that point.

Members
842 posts

Only the Edinburgh has the high-end heal. The Fiji does NOT - in fact, the Fiji has EXACTLY the same kind of heal that the Belfast does.

Basically, comparing the Fiji to the Belfast you get:

• MUCH better concealment on the Belfast
  • HE for guns on the Belfast
  • Radar on the Belfast
  • 10% bigger health pool on the Belfast
  • Noticeably better turning radius on the Fiji
  • Slightly better rudder shift on the Fiji
  • Torpedoes on the Fiji

That's the differences. That's it.  

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,887 posts
12,189 battles
8 hours ago, EAnybody said:

Only the Edinburgh has the high-end heal. The Fiji does NOT - in fact, the Fiji has EXACTLY the same kind of heal that the Belfast does.

Basically, comparing the Fiji to the Belfast you get:

• HE for guns on the Belfast
  • Radar on the Belfast
  • 10% bigger health pool on the Belfast
  • Noticeably better turning radius on the Fiji
  • Slightly better rudder shift on the Fiji
  • Torpedoes on the Fiji

That's the differences. That's it.  

Belfast has no heal at all.

Members
1,120 posts
95 battles
On 2/23/2018 at 4:57 AM, EAnybody said:

Depending on what you consider to be "MUCH". Top Fiji 11.52 base conceal, Belfast - 11.34. Huge difference.

[S_B]
Members
417 posts
11,876 battles
On 2/22/2018 at 3:05 PM, The_Old_Dog said:

Personally, I prefer the Fiji...never really got the hang of the Belfast 

I've had the Belfast longer than my Fiji but I definitely play them different. I park the Belfast more in smoke and fire at anything within 10-15km. Less than that means you may get spotted by hydro or radar. I then retreat or move some and wait for my smoke to be ready again using 4 smoke consumables ALWAYS. With the Fiji which I feel has better armor I move around more on the map and then smoke up when needed. When the enemy spots a Belfast it can be like getting mauled by a pack of wolves but not so much in a Fiji. I'm very careful when and where I smoke up but more so in the Belfast which has no heal or torps but has HE. The IFHE captain skill makes a HUGE difference in damage done to all ships along with very good AP shells. In conclusion I love them both and prefer the Fiji slightly in Tier 7 operation battles. I've had several 100-150K damage games in Belfast and maybe 1 in the Fiji but I haven't played it as much yet.

Edited by dust340man
add info
  • Cool 1