Prushn

Destroyers are frustrating

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

24 posts in this topic

I've been a BB player for the entire time on WoWs but decided to try DDs this past week. My clan mate JochenHeiden has been giving me a hand as he does very well in them. I have to say it's been hard for me to get my mind tuned to a different ship and play style, which has resulted in some frustration on my part. I will say this though, if someone is good in them they can be amazing!

Posted (edited) · Report post

they take time to get used to, trust me, im a bb main but my highest damage game is in the Isokaze and honestly, i have to say that dd gameplay is starting to grow on me

Edited by tcbaker777

A good DD player can absolutely control a match.  I have been in many matches in which a Red DD has crushed my team by simply maintaining spotting coverage for trailing BB teammates and periodically launching torpedoes into my own unsuspecting team.  It is hard to watch as a victim but I can't help but admire them. 

The keys to good DD play are to not be seen and not to be hit when you are seen.

There's two critical components to World of Warships that will just flat-out net you wins.

• Good positioning relative to the enemy.
  • Having more information on the enemy and their positions than the enemy has on your team and positions.

Destroyers can do both quite easily. Their stealth and speed allows them to go to places where they'll really be a thorn in the side. Their smoke can hide your team and their movements, while once again the speed and stealth can help you reveal the enemy's.

I play all class and I am average of it ( sometimes good, sometimes bad )

But when I first play them, I really have no Idea on how to use them, so it'll take time to get used to it.

Thanks guys! What I'm hearing is stay invisible as much as possible, be a good scout, lend smoke when I can. I can see as some have said, this may take awhile!

You're hearing everything I've been telling you on Teamspeak every day.  DD stealth gives us so many more options for survival and game impact than a battleship. How many times have you been focus fired and murdered in a battleship because you could not avoid being seen?  You've seen me play destroyers and you know their capabilities. It's high risk but very high reward. The way to make point and gain XP in a round is to take and defend the caps.  Nothing gets into a cap and contests it like a destroyer. A noticeable destroyer exception is the Russian gunboats, like my Udaloi.  In that situation your job it to harass and frustrate the enemy with a constant barrage of painful needle pricks that they can't really answer back to.  It's psychological at that point but just as effective!

Thanks guys! What I'm hearing is stay invisible as much as possible, be a good scout, lend smoke when I can. I can see as some have said, this may take awhile!

I've really enjoyed the transition from mid-tier DD to boats like the Akizuki and Fletcher. The Akizuki in particular has a high rate of fire and a flat trajectory. So while stealth is good I am finding that a boat like an Akizuki (and possibly the German and Russians) doesn't lend itself to exactly the same tactics. That is to say there's a lot of different flavors in Destroyers.

You're hearing everything I've been telling you on Teamspeak every day.  DD stealth gives us so many more options for survival and game impact than a battleship. How many times have you been focus fired and murdered in a battleship because you could not avoid being seen?  You've seen me play destroyers and you know their capabilities. It's high risk but very high reward. The way to make point and gain XP in a round is to take and defend the caps.  Nothing gets into a cap and contests it like a destroyer. A noticeable destroyer exception is the Russian gunboats, like my Udaloi.  In that situation your job it to harass and frustrate the enemy with a constant barrage of painful needle pricks that they can't really answer back to.  It's psychological at that point but just as effective!

Definitely listening and even though I'm still not impressed with my game play and WTR I failed to notice the following. WTR was up 200 from the dismal night before. Survival was 66% were the night before it was around 30. Even win rate was up from 50 to 66. Heck, I even got a kill finally! So yeah, there is improvement, just going to take me having wide open ears and paying attention...and moving, always moving :)

Definitely listening and even though I'm still not impressed with my game play and WTR I failed to notice the following. WTR was up 200 from the dismal night before. Survival was 66% were the night before it was around 30. Even win rate was up from 50 to 66. Heck, I even got a kill finally! So yeah, there is improvement, just going to take me having wide open ears and paying attention...and moving, always moving :)

Haha. If you have a survuval rate over 35% in a destroyer you are doing it wrong :D  DDs are the ultimate risk takers in the game because they occasionally survive an "oh fornicate" moment. They all have the option of smoke and speed boost to disengage. 

Some lines like the Russian DDs are played like cruisers to actually do damage, and generally have poor stealth. Play them like a small Atlanta with an endless stream of HE and land 150 to  300 hits in a game.  They still have better stealth than any cruiser though and they are very capable of killing other DD as well as burning BBs to the waterline. Once your DD gets a stealth torp window, then things get more interesting. The potential damage goes up dramatically without having to charge all over the map like a headless chicken.

The main thing about DDs is that they aren't boring. Even a short, bad game can be a lot of fun. 

Edited by Rabidnid3

Haha. If you have a survuval rate over 35% in a destroyer you are doing it wrong :D  DDs are the ultimate risk takers in the game because they occasionally survive an "oh fornicate" moment. They all have the option of smoke and speed boost to disengage. 

Some lines like the Russian DDs are played like cruisers to actually do damage, and generally have poor stealth. Play them like a small Atlanta with an endless stream of HE and land 150 to  300 hits in a game.  They still have better stealth than any cruiser though and they are very capable of killing other DD as well as burning BBs to the waterline. Once your DD gets a stealth torp window, then things get more interesting. The potential damage goes up dramatically without having to charge all over the map like a headless chicken.

The main thing about DDs is that they aren't boring. Even a short, bad game can be a lot of fun. 

Yeah I'm finding that this boat requires movement, head on a swivel, and a person very good at multitasking.

Each family of DDs has their own "nature". The IJN are the sneakiest, if properly tricked out for stealth. Best not to seek knife fight in them. The USN are decent gunboats that can also stealth around the map, just not as well. The RU above T6 are serious gunboats. The Khab is in a class by herself, esp. when equipped with long guns, 10Km fish, SE,  Repair Party 2 and the new Engine Boot upgrade. It takes time to learn, they are a lot different from a BB. (No real opinion on the KM DDs, have not layed them much. The Gearing an Khab are too much fun.

The DD I've been playing is the Sims. I'm not good in it yet but find it fun.

I've been playing German DDs and aside from T22 which is a giant turd, they are very very powerful!!

Anyone good to watch if you are trying to up your DD play?

Anyone good to watch if you are trying to up your DD play?

IChase works for me. Unlike most of the other streamers, he always dominates when he's played in games I've been in.

My videos might be useful for DD intermediates.

You get to see me exploiting mistakes the DDs make.

Which, in turn, may help you realize when you are making the same, fatal, mistakes.

I think Beginners should familiarize themselves with how concealment works and how their DD compares to DDs in the same bracket.*

also important: radar and hydro ranges http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Consumables#Hydroacoustic_Search

And then, from there, work on their positioning.

*by "Bracket", I mean, If you are a T5, you should familiarize yourself with the more popular T4/5/6/7 DDs you will encounter.

Edited by MrDeaf

If you want to see how to play a DD, check out tonight's latest.  This video showcases all the tools available to a destroyer.

Like others have said it's a hardship to fly but the rewards are great once you do learn and even though I would say I'm pretty good at flying them now it was a long hard Road and I still have plenty of games where I'm the first to die

it's easy to make a mistake in a destroyer that proves fatal quickly no matter how long you've been playing them

Once I decided to get good at the Destroyers I picked one ship that was below radar range and was kind of a balance maybe a little op but I flew the Clemson for a long time until I got really good at it then after that it's been fairly easy to adapt those skills to other ships

Edited by silverdahc

The DD I've been playing is the Sims. I'm not good in it yet but find it fun.

That's the issue.

Do not start off at tier 7 with a DD. Go down and get yourself a Clemson and learn the US DD line in a good learner boat. It has good guns for it's tier for anti-DD work and teaches the US playstyle very well on how to abuse smoke and position with your guns and firing torpedo's at targets of opportunity.

I know you like hanging out with your buddy Joch, but he shouldn't be pulling you into tier 7's with his Maass when you're no where near ready in that Sims.

I just restarted playing my USN DD and found surprising success in staying just ahead of my team, usually 2-3 K in front once the shooting starts and about spotting distance when things are quiet. I'm finding that success for me in DD play is much more dependent on my team than on any other class in the game; it just seems that without solid support I'm just too easy to kill as a focused target and I'm too weak alone to get 1-on-1 kills. Yes, torps are death fish and my guns can whittle down anyone but both conditions need the target to not be shooting back(I dread the secondary BB builds). 

More than anything else though, it's that combined AA from the team ships to keep the planes off me that made DD play fun. I main and love CVs(yes, even as they are) so I know the priority for CVs is keeping the DD spotted. I think that's what turned me off before, getting bombed and spotted to death 5 min into any given match. I'd say if BBs set the pace then it's DDs who push the line and the CLs are that backbone keeping me alive. 

If you don't have a relatively high survival rate in a IJN DD, I think your not using your greatest advantage besides good torpedos.

What ever DD you play, play to it's strong points. Run and gun or Ninja backstab.