Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
anonym_MbpaxbbAUblh

Which tech tree should I go up?

27 comments in this topic

Members
589 posts

I have these ships (All under Tier 1 to 4)

Japan - Umikaze, Chikuma, Wakatake, Tenryu, Kawachi, Isokaze, Kuma

USA - Sampson, St. Louis, S. Carolina, Wyoming, Langley

USSR - Novik, Bogatyr

Germany - Hermelin, V-25, Dresden, Kolberg, Nassau, Karlsruhe

UK - Black Swan, Wemouth, Caledon

France - Friant, Duguay-Trouin

As I am gaining XPs to go up, I am not sure which country's tech tree should I follow. I have heard about Yamato but not much familiar with most of the high tier ships. Which ones should I sell immediately and which ones do I need to buy at present (T-1 to 4)??

I just don't want to waste a slot for a bad ship. Currently I feel Kolberg and Kawachi are worst. Also I am not good at CV. Should I sell Langley?

Please suggest!! Also suggest best ships in each tier and in each class of each country if possible as of 2017.

[KAG]
Members
53 posts
19,015 battles

jap bbs soviet dds, german or jap cruisers, dont bother w/ cvs, theose are the easiest lines to play, imo

Edited by backpack

[TSF_1]
Members
3,301 posts
7,816 battles

Try a little bit of everything! It helps to know what you're up against. Get to know every line's weaknesses and abuse that knowledge in battles.

To be a little more specific, I'd try IJN and USN cruisers and KM (German) battleships. USN destroyers are pretty good, but I don't do much by way of destroyers, so I'm no expert there. Japanese carriers are better (much better) later, but hold off on those until you've got a T5 or T6 ship and have played a bit more.

Edited by pewpewpew42

Members
2,709 posts
17,651 battles

The tier 5 French CA is getting rave reviews, so maybe try that one?

Members
496 posts
7,262 battles

Ok here we go. 

Japanese Destroyers: Stealthy ships that rely on remaining hidden and using torpedoes to destroy ships. They're vulnerable to gunfire from nearly every ship and their guns are pretty bad. These ships sneak around and try to delete battleships. Not very easy to do these days as you get to higher tiers because of various nerfs to torpedoes. These ships are feast or famine - either you do really well or you do almost nothing in them. Best ships: Shiryatsuyu, Shimakaze, Kagero, Akatsuki.

Japanese Cruisers: These are some of the more forgiving cruisers in the game. They give large cannons for a cruiser starting at T5 with the Furutaka. They're fast, stealthy, and good at staying at the back and lighting enemy ships on fire. They're also nimble and have decent armor to bounce shells if you angle. Best in the line is generally the Myoko and Zao. 

Japanese Battleships: These battleships are fairly thin armored in the beginning and get more armored over time. They have very  long range guns and are very accurate for a battleship. They're very good at deleting cruisers and other battleships at the lower tiers, starting with Kongo. However, getting to Kongo is a real pain as the Kawachi and Myogi are awful. Best ships are Kongo, Nagato, Amagi, and Yamato. Getting to the Yamato is worth it. 

USA Destroyers: Crazy fun ships most famous for their rapid fire guns, starting at the Nicholas B hull where you get guns that fire every 3.3 seconds or less. The USN destroyer line has pretty bad torpedoes that are only good for ambush up until Tier 7/8 so they rely on entering capture points and killing enemy destroyers. They have a crazy long smoke duration allowing them to pick a spot, smoke up, and spam high explosive at enemy ships until they are burning nicely. They're also famous for the ability to easily fire over mountains. Notable ships include Mahan, Sims (this is a premium), Benson, Fletcher, and Gearing.

USA Battleships: Heavily armored bow tanking ships that start off slow and eventually become faster and more modern. Known for their ability to shred air planes. They're great at medium to short ranges. Favorites usually are New Mexico and North Carolina.

USA Cruisers: A mixed bag, that changes a lot through the line. It only really gets good at the New Orleans (T8) on up where their armor piercing shells become ludicrously powerful. Cleveland at T6 is an exception as it's a great fire starter. Des Moines is the holy grail because it has a really short reload (5.5 seconds).

German BBs: Extremely tanky, crazy secondary batteries, inaccurate main guns. They get sonar in the higher tiers to spot torpedoes with. Favorites are usually Gneisenau on up. 

German Cruisers: Known for having bad high explosive but better than average AP. Also fairly tanky for cruisers. They have sonar that goes really far in the higher tiers. Hipper and Hindenburg probably most popular.

German Destroyers: Don't play these. Lots of bad eggs in them and they take a good bit of knowledge of the game to master. I'm at nearly 3k games and I don't really get them.

France Cruisers: Thinly armored cruisers that do well playing towards the back and lighting ships on fire. Kind of a mirror image to the German cruisers. They have the special bonus of speed boost that lets them move across the map easily with the T10 ship being able to hit an astounding 42 knots. Most destroyers can't hit 42 knots with speed boost on, haha.

British Cruisers: Good gunfire support ships with thin armor but powerful heals. They are good at going to a chokepoint on the map, smoking up, and firing lots of special British AP which pierces more armor than regular AP. Extremely good at killing destroyers. Fiji and Minotaur are most liked. 

USSR cruisers: Known for being squishy but also fast and good fire starters. They eventually get long range but short duration radar which makes them scary. Budyonny at T6, Kutuzov Premium T8, and Mosvka T10 are popular.

USSR Destroyers: Can you spell bias? Well you need to to play these. You also need to pull out the Cheeki Breeki hardbass anthem on youtube when you do. They're fast, have bad maneuverability for destroyers, and terrible concealment. Their torpedoes suck nearly to the end of the line but their guns more than make up for it. They run around with their insane speed, dodge, light things on fire, and use AP on cruisers at less than 7 km to absolutely ruin them. Most famous is Kiev, Udaloi, and Khabarovsk. 

Hope that helps.

Edited by bacononaboat
  • Cool 7

Members
1,797 posts
7,977 battles

Well, here's what I would do if I had it all to do again:

IJN, IJN, IJN....

Yes, that would make me miss out on some ships I like, but stick with me...here's my reasoning:

Looking at the end game, I still see Yamato as the most desirable Tier X Battleship.  I also see IJN BB as quite good, generally, at Tier V, VI, VII and competitive at Tier VIII, IX.  They are well suited to mid-long range pummeling of all manner of ships.  

Lots of folks will tell you that IJN DD are in a tough spot.  They're not necessarily wrong and they take a lot of skill and experience to play.  They're ships that will absolutely force you to learn the game and anticipate what other players will do.  They are worthwhile from that perspective.  Also, in our current massive gun bloom for DD, campy, camp, camp type play style nothing punishes quite like a full salvo of IJN torpedoes...just nasty!

IJN Cruisers.  They are now solid from start to finish, with Ibuki being a sort of rough spot at Tier IX.  Zao continues to be filthy at Tier X, Myoko and Mogami are both strong at tier, and Furutaka and Aoba are great boats once you learn them.  Atago is a very good Premium as well.  There's a lot of consistency in tactics here, with Mogami being a sort of odd duck when equipped with 155s.  

Running these ships all from the same nation will give you a fairly large pool of skilled Captains to choose from and move around, and that is a nifty thing to have.  

That being said, I'm also pretty excited about the French cruisers, German destroyers and a few ships throughout.  VMF ships are generally unique in play style, but quite strong when played well.

Members
4,203 posts

British Cruisers: Good gunfire support ships with thin armor but powerful heals. They are good at going to a chokepoint on the map, smoking up, and firing lots of special British AP which pierces more armor than regular AP. Extremely good at killing destroyers. Fiji and Minotaur are most liked.

Well it really up to you OP, when I started I went USN since I served in the navy - BUT they just did not fit, but I tried RN Cruisers and I am having a blast - LoL and some days I get blasted:teethhappy: The big thing as some others have said is go with what you enjoy the most. Also if you have time and you get sunk stay in the battle and watch from team mates' ships it a great way to learn other ships, or improve your play style.

PS Great Post bacononaboat +1

Edited by Chaos_EN2

[X-PN]
Beta Testers
792 posts
13,499 battles

Ok here we go. 

Japanese Destroyers: Stealthy ships that rely on remaining hidden and using torpedoes to destroy ships. They're vulnerable to gunfire from nearly every ship and their guns are pretty bad. These ships sneak around and try to delete battleships. Not very easy to do these days as you get to higher tiers because of various nerfs to torpedoes. These ships are feast or famine - either you do really well or you do almost nothing in them. Best ships: Shiryatsuyu, Shimakaze, Kagero, Akatsuki.

Japanese Cruisers: These are some of the more forgiving cruisers in the game. They give large cannons for a cruiser starting at T5 with the Furutaka. They're fast, stealthy, and good at staying at the back and lighting enemy ships on fire. They're also nimble and have decent armor to bounce shells if you angle. Best in the line is generally the Myoko and Zao. 

Japanese Battleships: These battleships are fairly thin armored in the beginning and get more armored over time. They have very  long range guns and are very accurate for a battleship. They're very good at deleting cruisers and other battleships at the lower tiers, starting with Kongo. However, getting to Kongo is a real pain as the Kawachi and Myogi are awful. Best ships are Kongo, Nagato, Amagi, and Yamato. Getting to the Yamato is worth it. 

USA Destroyers: Crazy fun ships most famous for their rapid fire guns, starting at the Nicholas B hull where you get guns that fire every 3.3 seconds or less. The USN destroyer line has pretty bad torpedoes that are only good for ambush up until Tier 7/8 so they rely on entering capture points and killing enemy destroyers. They have a crazy long smoke duration allowing them to pick a spot, smoke up, and spam high explosive at enemy ships until they are burning nicely. They're also famous for the ability to easily fire over mountains. Notable ships include Mahan, Sims (this is a premium), Benson, Fletcher, and Gearing.

USA Battleships: Heavily armored bow tanking ships that start off slow and eventually become faster and more modern. Known for their ability to shred air planes. They're great at medium to short ranges. Favorites usually are New Mexico and North Carolina.

USA Cruisers: A mixed bag, that changes a lot through the line. It only really gets good at the New Orleans (T8) on up where their armor piercing shells become ludicrously powerful. Cleveland at T6 is an exception as it's a great fire starter. Des Moines is the holy grail because it has a really short reload (5.5 seconds).

German BBs: Extremely tanky, crazy secondary batteries, inaccurate main guns. They get sonar in the higher tiers to spot torpedoes with. Favorites are usually Gneisenau on up. 

German Cruisers: Known for having bad high explosive but better than average AP. Also fairly tanky for cruisers. They have sonar that goes really far in the higher tiers. Hipper and Hindenburg probably most popular.

German Destroyers: Don't play these. Lots of bad eggs in them and they take a good bit of knowledge of the game to master. I'm at nearly 3k games and I don't really get them.

France Cruisers: Thinly armored cruisers that do well playing towards the back and lighting ships on fire. Kind of a mirror image to the German cruisers. They have the special bonus of speed boost that lets them move across the map easily with the T10 ship being able to hit an astounding 42 knots. Most destroyers can't hit 42 knots with speed boost on, haha.

USSR cruisers: Known for being squishy but also fast and good fire starters. They eventually get long range but short duration radar which makes them scary. Budyonny at T6, Kutuzov Premium T8, and Mosvka T10 are popular.

USSR Destroyers: Can you spell bias? Well you need to to play these. You also need to pull out the Cheeki Breeki hardbass anthem on youtube when you do. They're fast, have bad maneuverability for destroyers, and terrible concealment. Their torpedoes suck nearly to the end of the line but their guns more than make up for it. They run around with their insane speed, dodge, light things on fire, and use AP on cruisers at less than 7 km to absolutely ruin them. Most famous is Kiev, Udaloi, and Khabarovsk. 

Hope that helps.

Great post. I was wondering what to do next after the clash of the elements event is done. Having read your post, I think I might try out IJN BBs and USSR DDs. Thanks!!

Members
496 posts
7,262 battles

Great post. I was wondering what to do next after the clash of the elements event is done. Having read your post, I think I might try out IJN BBs and USSR DDs. Thanks!!

Lol you are welcome. Good luck with them!

Members
272 posts
5,408 battles

Bacon, even with >3k games as well your post was really helpful. Good general idea of the lines and the recommends seem to be accurate.

Members
496 posts
7,262 battles

Thank you bacononaboat and all who have replied. Help appreciated!

You're welcome

Bacon, even with >3k games as well your post was really helpful. Good general idea of the lines and the recommends seem to be accurate.

Glad it was helpful. I missed a few details here and there but oh well. It's good in general. 

Members
1,380 posts
4,100 battles

My criteria are: are the ships decent from T5-T7? - because those are the more popular tiers. I don't care if the Tier 10 is epic if all the rest suck.

It's be like recommending a job cleaning up dog doo because it has a good retirement plan.  Also T1-4 are pretty easy to grind through so I kinda disregard them, though T4 along with T7 is a "sweet spot" in MM.

Battleships:  Germany #1.  Japan is also OK.     No No No = USA is pretty much obsoleted by Germany and painfully slow.

Cruisers:    Japan or Russia.   UK as a second line as they have a different playstyle (camp in smoke).  Meh = Germany and USA

Destroyers:  Russia #1.  USA good all rounders.     Germany = meh.   IJN = boring (you spend 90% of your time running away and hiding)

Carriers:  Japan can actually do stuff. USA = meh.

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles

My criteria are: are the ships decent from T5-T7? - because those are the more popular tiers. I don't care if the Tier 10 is epic if all the rest suck.

It's be like recommending a job cleaning up dog doo because it has a good retirement plan.  Also T1-4 are pretty easy to grind through so I kinda disregard them, though T4 along with T7 is a "sweet spot" in MM.

Battleships:  Germany #1.  Japan is also OK.     No No No = USA is pretty much obsoleted by Germany and painfully slow.

Cruisers:    Japan or Russia.   UK as a second line as they have a different playstyle (camp in smoke).  Meh = Germany and USA

Destroyers:  Russia #1.  USA good all rounders.     Germany = meh.   IJN = boring (you spend 90% of your time running away and hiding)

Carriers:  Japan can actually do stuff. USA = meh.

I'd have to agree. You don't hear much about Konig and Bayern, but I find them absolutely solid and they uptier well.

My only quibble is personal, and that's the Yorck at Tier 7. A lot of people consider it a bad ship, but I really clicked with it, and would play it more if I wasn't enjoying the Hipper.

I think part of the issue with US and KM cruisers is that you have playstyle switches in the Tier 5-7 range. US is worse IMO because, even though the Tiwr 5 and 6 are both CLs, they play differently, and the switch to 8" guns at Tier 7 has you all of a sudden stuck with a 15 sec. reload. (at least the switch on the KM line only increase you to 12 sec.)

Members
341 posts
1,994 battles

The Konig is awful as far as I'm concerned. Accuracy blows, damage is meh.

American battleships are fun to me. I like seeing squadrons of planes come at me and disappear in seconds. And their shells are beastly.

Royal Navy cruisers are fun as hell (From T6 up).

Members
496 posts
7,262 battles

American battleships are fun to me. I like seeing squadrons of planes come at me and disappear in seconds. And their shells are beastly.

Royal Navy cruisers are fun as hell (From T6 up).

I really liked the Konig with its 2.0 sigma but then they changed that. Now it sucks cos it's 12" guns really don't cut muster. 

Members
1,380 posts
4,100 battles

Odd.

Is this recently? I believe it was nerfed last patch as sigma (vertical accuracy) was too good?

I'm surprised you find it poor, as average damage is highest of all T5 BB (i.e. 41k vs 28k of New York).

American BB too slow: just cannot control the engagement (21kts vs 25, 28, 30kts) and thus the range, and Germans have stolen their "best brawler" spot.  I think they need a bit of love. 

Members
4,515 posts
3,255 battles

Hard to say as I  am not sure you have developed a game style yet, so tough to predict what suits you best.

In general,  German and Japanese battleships are good bets. Battleships are the most forgiving class. They gave lits of armor, hit points, and big guns. And a heal. 

Russian destroyers next. They are nimble and fast, which covers up a lot of mistakes.

Cruisers are very unforgiving.  Misjudge how much side uou show and you're gone no matter the tier.

IJN, USN, and KM destroyers have a higher skill floor,  maybe better to know the game better before trying them.

Carriers, I don't know.  I find the interface so confusing, and hard to keep up in battle, but you could be beter than I 

Members
1,080 posts
5,785 battles

Get yourself a Bismark, I am playing it on PT right now and that thing tanks damage! And I am an IJN dd main, do not go down IJN dd line as a first line.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,947 battles

It's best to play a bit of everything, which you seem to be doing. This at least gives you experience in what these ships can do so you're better prepared to deal with them on the enemy team. Past that, it's a matter of picking a line that you enjoy and focusing on it.

You're pretty high in IJN cruisers already, so I suggest at least getting to Furutaka and seeing if they appeal to you. Most IJN cruisers after Furutaka will have the same guns and similar characteristics, so it'll be a good test.

[WOLFB]
Members
1,110 posts
45,104 battles

I'll play dissent. I dislike the Yamato  vs German G.K. (my fav) and Montana is better for me than the Moto....Plus of all the tier 9 to get to tier 10. Izumo is the worst slog there can be! It is a painful ship to get through!

What holds the Yamato back in my opinion is the slloooooooowwwww turret rotation. 

(ps. all my teir 10 BBs are fully upgraded and have secondary builds)

G.K is a beast.

Sign in to follow this