You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
pewpewpew42

A Proposal for Changing Radar a Bit

26 comments in this topic

[TSF_1]
Members
3,301 posts
7,816 battles

People often say that radar is 'overpowered' or that it 'ruins gameplay'. Having played through New Orleans, I can testify that while it is a useful tool, it can be immensely frustrating to get a kill using one. However, in the interest of appeasing DD's I propose the following minor nerf.

Make the radar antenna a module that can be knocked out. It could be a fragile component, but with a short repair time (10s?). When it is  knocked out, radar cannot be activated, and if it is active, is immediately cut short.

I don't think it would be a huge nerf, but could provide some counter to radar without implementing some 'radar-jamming' consumable on a tremendous number of destroyers.

Feedback?

If this is crap, don't sugarcoat it. Be honest.

[RICO5]
Members
3,273 posts
7,504 battles

I have made a suggestion a few times about radar changes.  Mainly, make it act like real radar.  Instead of an "always on" feature it needs to sweep, like an actual rotating radar antenna.  So, if you have a DD 8k to your north, you will only "lite" him at each sweep of the radar as opposed to having him constantly lit.  My suggestion was allow the radar consumable to run for a longer time, but only illuminate targets on each sweep.  So that DD would only appear (assuming it would normally be hidden) for a couple of seconds then gone for a couple of seconds.  It should also be line of sight only.  Radar cannot see through mountains.    I do like the idea of it being a module that can be knocked out.  That is pretty realistic.  Secondary guns and AA guns can be destroyed, so there is a precedent for auxiliary items being damaged.   Good idea.

• Cool 4

[PSA]
Members
5,118 posts
3,754 battles

No other consumable in the game can be knocked out. Why would radar be the exception?

Beta Testers
259 posts

No, DD's are over powered enough. If our radar can be knocked out, then DD's need to have cits.

[ML-S]
Members
362 posts
6,220 battles

Personally, I am okay with radar for one reason and one reason only: CAs are the DD counter.  IMHO, it is perfectly reasonable to have something on a CA that can wreck destroyers.  That said, I do believe the RPS model is not quite working the way wargaming intended.  DDs have more issue than they probably should against battleships (although BBs are still rightfully terrified by them) and I have yet to see how CVs fit in, especially with the defensive fire consumable.

(disclaimer: I do not claim to be an expert on DDs and I have not played beyond tier 5 in CVs)

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,021 posts
4,739 battles

No, DD's are over powered enough. If our radar can be knocked out, then DD's need to have cits.

I would like to know what kind of evidence can you present showing that DD's are OP?  Clearly they aren't OP for you as they are your worst W/R class. 

So please do explain how DD's are "OP" 

Personally, I am okay with radar for one reason and one reason only: CAs are the DD counter.  IMHO, it is perfectly reasonable to have something on a CA that can wreck destroyers.  That said, I do believe the RPS model is not quite working the way wargaming intended.  DDs have more issue than they probably should against battleships (although BBs are still rightfully terrified by them) and I have yet to see how CVs fit in, especially with the defensive fire consumable.

(disclaimer: I do not claim to be an expert on DDs and I have not played beyond tier 5 in CVs)

DD's are the counter to BB's, that has never stopped torpedoes or DD related mechanics from getting nerfed.. ? 

Edited by Cobraclutch

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
6,535 posts
29,684 battles

DD's are over powered? Why do you need a cit on a DD when nearly every hit by a large caliber shell takes away almost 10% of the health already?

[ML-S]
Members
362 posts
6,220 battles

DD's are the counter to BB's, that has never stopped torpedoes or DD related mechanics from getting nerfed.. ? 

I recognize that and, for that reason, I was and still am against nerfs that weaken destroyer torpedoes against battleships.  I just do not think that nerfing another class of ship's counter is an effective option to resolving the issue.  CAs work well as DD counter so I propose to leave them as they are, but work instead on the other sides of the RPS model.

Members
4,515 posts
3,255 battles

I'm not sure I like consumables being knocked out like a module as a game mechanic. The big thing is if radar could stop seeing through islands. I would like to see that before other nerfs, I think that would be enough speaking as a DD skipper

[CRMSN]
6,021 posts
4,739 battles

I'm not sure I like consumables being knocked out like a module as a game mechanic. The big thing is if radar could stop seeing through islands. I would like to see that before other nerfs, I think that would be enough speaking as a DD skipper

Yep, before anything else is done with radar. This is the change that we need. 

Out in open water and you get radar'ed? You deserve it. 

But if you are being sneaky and covering yourself with land masses, it should count for something. 

• Cool 1

[-K--]
Beta Testers
4,834 posts

So can we make it where we can knock out Destroyers ability to smoke ?  battleships ability to heal ?   Cruisers ability to Defensive fire ? Destroyers ability to speed boost ?

[BLNCE]
Members
2,293 posts
7,666 battles

Yep, before anything else is done with radar. This is the change that we need. 

Out in open water and you get radar'ed? You deserve it. 

But if you are being sneaky and covering yourself with land masses, it should count for something. 

If all spotting mechanics actually required line of site - this game would be vastly improved.

Members
2,077 posts
14,389 battles

So can we make it where we can knock out Destroyers ability to smoke ?  battleships ability to heal ?   Cruisers ability to Defensive fire ? Destroyers ability to speed boost ?

You can actually knock out defensive fire by destroying the ship's AA mounts.

[CRMSN]
6,021 posts
4,739 battles

Sounds like it increases my tactical choices and actually makes aiming worth it. 

Sign me up! 

[-K--]
Beta Testers
4,834 posts

Sounds like it increases my tactical choices and actually makes aiming worth it. 

Sign me up! 

Except it would be RNG like detonations.

[CNO]
Members
7,450 posts
23,087 battles

WG will NEVER put double D cits in the game.

:hiding:

Edited by Soshi_Sone

Members
5,597 posts
7,121 battles

How about we just continue on our current track and allow DD population to decline to possible none existence?

Radar then won't be too much of a factor, then BBs, CVs, and Cruisers can slug it out.

No spotting, no caps, and no smoke for anyone. Sound fun and engaging to me. :)

Edited by Wulfgarn
  • Cool 1

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
12,147 posts
9,111 battles

How about we just continue on our current track and allow DD population to decline to possible none existence?

Radar then won't be too much of a factor, then BBs, CVs, and Cruisers can slug it out.

DDs are played nearly as much as CAs at high tiers and DDs are apparently almost extinct but CAs need to be cut down? 

Members
5,597 posts
7,121 battles

DDs are played nearly as much as CAs at high tiers and DDs are apparently almost extinct but CAs need to be cut down? 

Really? No clue.

[-K--]
Beta Testers
4,834 posts

Except even after these changes.. DD's are still used in bulk.

[O7]
12,147 posts
9,111 battles

Except even after these changes.. DD's are still used in bulk.

Every high tier game I have been in has 3-5 DDs per team on it and often as few as just 1 CA with the rest of the team composed of BBs. Obviously DDs are a dying bread that is going the way of CVs because of all the unfair nerfs. 

Members
5,597 posts
7,121 battles

Every high tier game I have been in has 3-5 DDs per team on it and often as few as just 1 CA with the rest of the team composed of BBs. Obviously DDs are a dying bread that is going the way of CVs because of all the unfair nerfs. 

Reading comprehension is OP. :teethhappy:
  • Cool 2

[O7]
12,147 posts
9,111 battles

Reading comprehension is OP. :teethhappy:

Apparently so is sarcasm. 

Beta Testers
170 posts
8,283 battles

If you're going to change radar, just make it so it doesn't work if you don't have line of sight.

Or that ships using radar are spotted as well, because radar detectors were a thing on most ships.