Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.

12 comments in this topic

[OTG]
Beta Testers
593 posts
10,783 battles

well I'm amped.

And as a side note: NOW I know what my next Halloween costume will be!

Members
740 posts
9,789 battles

Here's my take.  It's probably going to be a really good movie for those who have not read the books.  I am no purist by any means, I loved LOTR.  "The Hobbit", however broke my heart. 

Rant Alert...(IT WAS A FRIGGIN ARROW DAMMIT!  NOT SOME DAMN HARPOON!  IT WAS SHOT FROM A BOW< NEVER MISSED AND BARD ALWAYS RETRIEVED IT!!!!!)..rant off.

Just one of many about that movie.  But I digress...

Phenomenal cast, looks great.  Won't be The Dark Tower.  Some kind of inspired or based on kind of thing.  I expect it to be a good movie, but  I holdout zero hope for a faithful treatment of the story.  Who knows?  Perhaps by keeping my expectations low, I will be pleasantly surprised or...they could have the gunslinger fall in love with a Elven archer maid and then kill the man in Black with a giant howitzer perched atop the Empire State Building.

And if I am wrong about it and it turns out to be an awesome and accurate rendition of the books...well then, "I cry your pardon Gunslinger!"

Thankee sai.

Edited by Malamute_Kid

Members
575 posts
3,075 battles

Here's my take.  It's probably going to be a really good movie for those who have not read the books.  I am no purist by any means, I loved LOTR.  "The Hobbit", however broke my heart. 

Rant Alert...(IT WAS A FRIGGIN ARROW DAMMIT!  NOT SOME DAMN HARPOON!  IT WAS SHOT FROM A BOW< NEVER MISSED AND BARD ALWAYS RETRIEVED IT!!!!!)..rant off.

Just one of many about that movie.  But I digress...

Phenomenal cast, looks great.  Won't be The Dark Tower.  Some kind of inspired or based on kind of thing.  I expect it to be a good movie, but  I holdout zero hope for a faithful treatment of the story.  Who knows?  Perhaps by keeping my expectations low, I will be pleasantly surprised or...they could have the gunslinger fall in love with a Elven archer maid and then kill the man in Black with a giant howitzer perched atop the Empire State Building.

And if I am wrong about it and it turns out to be an awesome and accurate rendition of the books...well then, "I cry your pardon Gunslinger!"

Thankee sai.

King wrote by many Aliases. The book "The Body" written as Richard Bachman was produced as a movie "Stand by Me" by Rob Reiner. That movie literally followed the book as if they lifted the script from it. It was one of the best King Novels to movie I have ever seen.
Edited by SmirkingGerbil

Members
740 posts
9,789 battles

King wrote by many Aliases. The book "The Body" written as Richard Bachman was produced as a movie "Stand by Me" by Rob Reiner. That movie literally followed the book as if they lifted the script from it. It was one of the best King Novels to movie I have ever seen.

How many aliases did King have?  I'm only aware of two and I am a pretty big fan.  Totally agree, "Stand By Me" was a classic.but I didn't know it was under Bachman,  thought it was from "Different Seasons" which also included the stories that "Shawshank Redemption" and "Apt Pupil" were taken from.  I thought that was published under King's name but it's been a long time and I could be wrong.  I think my personal favorite adaption of his work though is "The Green Mile".

Members
575 posts
3,075 battles

How many aliases did King have?  I'm only aware of two and I am a pretty big fan.  Totally agree, "Stand By Me" was a classic.but I didn't know it was under Bachman,  thought it was from "Different Seasons" which also included the stories that "Shawshank Redemption" and "Apt Pupil" were taken from.  I thought that was published under King's name but it's been a long time and I could be wrong.  I think my personal favorite adaption of his work though is "The Green Mile".

It was under Bachman initially, I actually have it in print, but I am old. Correct in that currently it is under "Different Seasons". I used plural, should have used singular. Just Bachman is the only alias. There was some uncertainty when he penned "The Stand" as to whether he used Bachman or another alias for awhile, but I forget the details. I love "The Stand" and he always laments it as his worst book!

Members
740 posts
9,789 battles

It was under Bachman initially, I actually have it in print, but I am old. Correct in that currently it is under "Different Seasons". I used plural, should have used singular. Just Bachman is the only alias. There was some uncertainty when he penned "The Stand" as to whether he used Bachman or another alias for awhile, but I forget the details. I love "The Stand" and he always laments it as his worst book!

He wrote one story that I'm aware of under a second alias but I think it was in his early days, maybe even before he had become famous, I'd have to look it up.  Yeah, "The Stand" s amazing, I certainly don't think it was his worst.  Did he ever say why he felt that way?  Personally, although I liked "Dreamcatcher", it is probably my least favorite and "The Talisman" written with Straub being my favorite book with his name on it.

Have you read any of his non-fiction?  "Head up" is one of my favorites by any author and "On Writing" is the best book I've ever read about how to write coherently.  I think it should be required reading in every english class in America.

edit:  Thanks to google...John Swithen was the other name. He used it to publish his short story "The fifth Quarter" in

Cavalier magazine in 1972,

Edited by Malamute_Kid
  • Cool 1

Members
420 posts
7,739 battles

"On Writing" is the best book I've ever read about how to write coherently.  I think it should be required reading in every english class in America.

Totally agree with you. "On Writing" is brilliant and had a big affect on my writing style as well. I think I have read it about four times. :great:

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this