Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
FogSuperBattleshipYamato

How do you go about playing none BBs?

92 comments in this topic

Members
12 posts
1,860 battles

A couple days ago I was looking at my terrible stats and realized that on paper, I can't play anything other than BBs. I figured it was time to put that into test and yesterday I played all my none BBs, namely New Orleans, Baltimore, Akatsuki, and Atago. I did [edited]terrible. The only ships that I do well in that isn't a BB are the Belfast and the Atlanta... which are seal clubbers. I suck at playing anything that isn't a BB, and I don't get that. I have game sense, I know how to aim, I know how to direct my team, but I just can't bloody win because I feel like these ships just don't have carrying potential unless they face some situations that they really shine well in, unlike in a BB where as long as you are alive and the enemy doesn't have CV that still has squadrons to run on, or high tier DDs capable of launching waves of torps, you can still have a fighting chance.

I just don't get that feeling in with other ships. I play IJN DDs, get 2-3 torp hits a game on average, and then get chewed up by radar, or gunboat DDs, or Radar and Gunboat DDs.

US CAs I usually fight on the 2nd line or find some island to play behind of, or screen BBs of aircraft and torps. Just can't dish out enough damage to make much of a difference, unless I'm in the Belfast or Atlanta.

Is it because I'm just too used to the BB playing style? If so, what are some pointers that will make me do better in other ship classes? Or do I just suck at the game, and if I dont have at least 200mm of armor protecting me, with a huge chunk of heath pool I can't do crap?

https://na.warships.today/player/1001787604/Shadows_Unrest

If you scroll down a bit and look at winrate divided by ship classes, it shows I have a 60% winrate in the yamato, 56% winrate in the Izumo, 62% in the Alabama, 61% in the Amagi, 55% in the Warspite, and 68% in the Arkansas Beta. Look in the cruiser section to find 37% in the Atago, 40% in the Baltimore, 41% in the NO. 

Edited by Shadows_Unrest
  • Cool 1

[K0]
Members
1,758 posts
10,155 battles

I can't really make out anything from these numbers, and the sample size is a bit low.

You'd have to post replays or something so I could see how you handle the ships.

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

Help friendly DDs at caps (you don't have to be in the cap yourself)

Focus down spotted DDs, if at all possible (some DD players are so bad that you really can't help them before they get sunk)

Accept the fact that some ships just suck at carrying teams

Members
1,380 posts
4,100 battles

Different play style.   Can be very difficult to adapt. It's hard to swap within a similar class (i.e Russian cruisers and UK cruisers are nothing like each other)... let alone going from classes differing wildly in playstyle.   Not at all surprising...

...now this is where I'm going to rustle some jimmies...

That said, BBs ARE easymode WoWs. I'm not a very good BB player (I find them boring) but the vast majority of my BB are 60%+.

The combination of best firepower, best defence, and ability apply massive alpha damage at range - combined with the ability to heal the HP of four or five destroyers makes them very forgiving.  A single mistake often = death in a cruiser or destroyer, but most times a BB can recover from a misplay and stay in the game.

As long as you don't hide on the baseline or yolo a flag solo it is hard not to do good damage, it's rather easy to do the same damage you'd have to work your butt off to get in a cruiser or destroyer.  And as a BB you are more likely to be able to "steer" random team mates by your actions.  (I have a theory BB were designed to attract the artillery players and Russian heavy drivers from WoT)

• Cool 2

Members
390 posts
2,764 battles

It depends on how you play battleships. If you're used to brawling and using minimal angling, you're WAY too aggressive for cruisers. Similarly, hanging back and sniping with a your guns makes you an easy target. Similarly, most nations don't play the same. US doesnt have torps, Jp has torps in the back, USSR can't turn worth a damn, UK can't HE spam angled targets, etc.

There are just too many unknowns to say one way or the other.

[BLNCE]
Members
13,459 posts
44,054 battles

For DDs.... well, non-Russian gunboats...

1. Before you move into any space, you should be planning where you are going to exit it. For example, if you enter a cap, plan for an exit that takes you out behind an island. 

2. Play conservatively in the opening minutes. The longer your DD stays alive, the more powerful it becomes in affecting the outcome and the more damage you will do.

3. A DD, especially with longer range torps, is not a stealth torp boat. It is an area control device.  A DD sitting on a cap and spewing out torps is a fearsome opponent and many ships are reluctant to go in and kill it. Smart DD play can keep red off whole areas of the map and get torp hits. 

4. Offer smoke to teammates whenever possible. 

5. Call for help when capping. Announce where you are going, so people know to come along. At the beginning of the match suggest plans for capping -- do not wait for others to announce.

6. Do not wait until you see ships before you launch torps. Anticipate where ships will appear and put torps there -- channels, islands, etc. In many caps there are places DDs prefer to sit. Put torps in there before the red DD is detected. Blind torps are the most deadly. 

7. Use your guns. Do not fire unless you are sure red won't fire back, especially early. There's no point in taking 4K damage to inflict 500 HP damage on a BB.

8. 2-4 torp hits is normal in a DD. More than that, you should be ecstatic. 

9. Do not sit in smoke for long. A smart red DD driver will already have torps going across it. Fire a few salvos and go.

10. Do not exit smoke on its side. Exit out the back where you cannot be seen. Do not reverse course back across the smoke unless you are certain there will be no torps. Warn teammates to expect torps if they move into the smoke.

11. Know which ships have radar and run when you see them. 

12. Put torps on cruisers whenever you can. Many cruiser drivers can't imagine they will be torped and are the worst offenders for driving straight.

13. Do not go for the CV. That is a low-tier DD move. At the high tiers you will be detected and nuked.

14. Dont be shy about exiting a contested cap. That is how you live to go back and contest. Just make sure you go back. 

Edited by Taichunger
  • Cool 7

Members
899 posts
4,261 battles

bb are overpowered and easy mode of this game, especially since their counters were nerfed

there is a reason why their players are called babbies

Yeah, I noticed you are a babbling BB hater. In fact I can't think of 1 post where you didn't bash BBs. I was in a battle with you in a BB a couple days ago. Thanks for your help at cap fat_arcade_kitty. Piss off. Incidentally, YOU are the only one I've ever heard call them babbies.
Edited by Shadow_1964
  • Cool 6

Members
390 posts
2,764 battles

bb are overpowered and easy mode of this game, especially since their counters were nerfed

I haven't noticed any significant difference in handing out submarine conversions. Positioning gets trickier at higher tiers, but that's true for all ship types.
  • Cool 1

Members
899 posts
4,261 battles

For DDs....

1. Before you move into any space, you should be planning where you are going to exit it. For example, if you enter a cap, plan for an exit that takes you out behind an island. 

2. Play conservatively in the opening minutes. The longer your DD stays alive, the more powerful it becomes in affecting the outcome and the more damage you will do.

3. A DD, especially with longer range torps, is not a stealth torp boat. It is an area control device.  A DD sitting on a cap and spewing out torps is a fearsome opponent and many ships are reluctant to go in and kill it. Smart DD play can keep red off whole areas of the map and get torp hits. 

4. Offer smoke to teammates whenever possible. 

5. Call for help when capping. Announce where you are going, so people know to come along. At the beginning of the match suggest plans for capping -- do not wait for others to announce.

6. Do not wait until you see ships before you launch torps. Anticipate where ships will appear and put torps there -- channels, islands, etc. In many caps there are places DDs prefer to sit. Put torps in there before the red DD is detected. Blind torps are the most deadly. 

7. Use your guns. Do not fire unless you are sure red won't fire back, especially early. There's no point in taking 4K damage to inflict 500 HP damage on a BB.

8. 2-4 hits is normal in a DD. More than that, you should be ecstatic. 

9. Do not sit in smoke for long. A smart red DD driver will already have torps going across it. Fire a few salvos and go.

10. Do not exit smoke on its side. Exit out the back where you cannot be seen. Do not reverse course back across the smoke unless you are certain there will be no torps. Warn teammates to expect torps if they move into the smoke.

11. Know which ships have radar and run when you see them. 

12. Put torps on cruisers whenever you can. Many cruiser drivers can't imagine they will be torped and are the worst offenders for driving straight.

13. Do not go for the CV. That is a low-tier DD move. At the high tiers you will be detected and nuked.

14. Dont be shy about exiting a contested cap. That is how you live to go back and contest. Just make sure you go back. 

Very good. I do most of these things, but I learned a lot from this. THANK YOU!

Members
4,886 posts

Yeah, I noticed you are a babbling BB hater. In fact I can't think of 1 post where you didn't bash BBs. I was in a battle with you in a BB a couple days ago. Thanks for your help at cap fat_arcade_kitty. Piss off.

what

as of recently i only played some coop for easy containers and if you mean i didn't help you to cap in coop... lol

Members
272 posts
5,408 battles

I'm not sure you understand the game mechanics as well as you think. For starters, you seemed to have sped through the grinds without learning how to play the class, much less the individual ships. So I would not blame it on "the ships don't have carry potential", that means you are looking everywhere else but at yourself.

Members
899 posts
4,261 battles

what

as of recently i only played some coop for easy containers and if you mean i didn't help you to cap in coop... lol

Couldn't care less. Just responding to your incessant BB bashing.
  • Cool 2

Members
390 posts
2,764 battles

An additional note for DDs: Understand your role. Soviet botes are good for long range harassment and speed tanking.

US botes are good destroyer killers at close range, where their high ROF isn't hampered by their low shell speed, but will be wrecked if they get kited by Soviet boats.

Jp botes are great at spotting for allies, keeping (most)enemies from sections of the map, and their guns can help finish off low hp foes.

German botes, I dunno. I've only played the Tier 2, and that involves blaring the Speed Racer theme, firing as many torpedoes as I can at whatever I can, and lots of the phrase "Tenno Heika Banzai". Its glorious and rarely lasts as long as the song.

Addendum to this note: Just because the ships are good at certain things doesn't mean it's a hard rule on how to play them. Sometimes you'll need to improvise. Remember that.

Members
4,886 posts

I haven't noticed any significant difference in handing out submarine conversions. Positioning gets trickier at higher tiers, but that's true for all ship types.

where are my 15 -> 12 with ta torps on t8, that also have a tolerable concealment?

heck, bucky was already considered bad before the nerf/

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
322 posts
4,470 battles

Do you ever play battleships? How about cruisers? You don't seem to listen to others' opinions on matters regarding them, so clearly you must have played a healthy amount of games in them to get yours.:sceptic:

• Cool 3

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,947 battles

Do you ever play battleships? How about cruisers? You don't seem to listen to others' opinions on matters regarding them, so clearly you must have played a healthy amount of games in them to get yours.:sceptic:

Not defending BAK, but speaking as someone who has tier 10 battleships and destroyers-- Yeah, battleships are way easier.
  • Cool 1

[CHASE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,973 posts
13,112 battles

Not defending BAK, but speaking as someone who has tier 10 battleships and destroyers-- Yeah, battleships are way easier.

weird. I find them to be absolutely useless at tier 10 and incredibly easy to counter.

[SYN]
Members
2,861 posts
10,456 battles

Well to be honest at 691 games, your still relatively new to the game. Its likely that you just simply clicked with BB's early but you haven't had that eurika moment yet with cruisers or DD's. So what you need is to simple practice and play wi9th them more. I woudl say for those two types, stick with lower tiers until you get more comfortable with them, try every cruiser and DD line and see which one works out the best for you. In fact i can see most of your DD play is limited to IJN, so play more of the line USN, KM and Soviet DD's, IJN isnt the best line at the moment. Even though you have games in Soviet DD's, both of those DD's are premiums that dont relate well to the line ships in playstyle. Likewise your cruisers are nearly all USN, well sh!t there's your problem with cruisers, you picked the most underpowered cruiser line to play. Yeah most USN cruisers in the game are madly underpowered, so its no surprise your doing terrible in them, because most of them are terrible ships. In fact the only three competitive regular USN cruisers is the St. louis, Cleveland and Des Moines. All the rest are either meh or pretty bad. So yeah play non USN Cruiser lines. Generally the best lines right now for cruisers are IJN and soviet. British line is only for veteran cruiser players and jury is still out on french. And with battleships you picked a strong line to go up, the IJN battleships, so that part of the reason for your stats. you picked a strong BB line but a weak cruiser and DD line.

Edited by ryuukei8569
  • Cool 2

Members
1,684 posts
20,008 battles

Nice to bump into you in the training rooms earlier! You are clearly a good guy who wants to learn, so I have some tips for you.

Don't be the first or second ship the enemy sees. if you're in a cruiser, play in the middle line. Use islands to conceal yourself and fire when you can angle away or WASD.

If you're getting targeted by too many ships, stop shooting to go stealth, go away and get a better position.

Members
59 posts
9,721 battles

I don't consider myself fantastic by any means, but i find that most people that struggle in CA's tend to have "broadside" and "ROF" disease.  They are so focused on putting as many guns as possible on the target and using the ROF mechanic that they become an easy snack for the opportunistic bb.    Part of being a good CA is understanding your range understanding your "cover" which includes both physical impediments as well as your concealment mechanic, and the ability to change between shells as required, .  It was a long learning curve for me, but patience in-game seemed to be the fastest way to ramp up production.  

Since the advent of Priority Target (PT), that might be your solution to your problem.  Having that kind of information during gameplay really changed things for the better for CA's.

Edited by Capitalist_Pig

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
23,310 battles

Couldn't care less. Just responding to your incessant BB bashing.

we can talk about BB's, or we can talk about playing other ships as well as you play BB's

If you want to talk other ships, don't: first watch about a weeks worth of youtube videos made by seriously caring community contributors who want the game to be enjoyable by everyone, and make the videos to help guys just like you (and me) who want to "git gud!"

Pick the ones on the ships you are interested in, or the ones you have to blow through along the way.

The videos really help.

If you want to talk battleships; ok, but you aren't going to like it.

battleships are the most catered to type of ship in the game.

battleships ARE more forgiving than ANY other style of ship.

be prepared to struggle when you move from BB's to lighter combatants;

the smaller ships require much more skill and thinking.

(I always find it amusing to hear how DD's are the easiest type of ship to play; if you believe that, grab one and we'll division)

so it doesn't surprise me that you are struggling to play a new, more demanding type of ship;

you just haven't learned to think while playing yet.

but keep at it, it gets easier; ALMOST as easy as playing BB's

• Cool 1

Members
1,695 posts
8,915 battles

This is actually pretty far from truth.

The way WTR is calculated, it is actually much easier to play DDs and CL/CAs at a unicum level than it is BBs.  One thinks that just because a BB can deal massive damage, that automatically makes them good.  However, WTR is calculated off of frags, caps and other things that BBs can't do as efficiently as other ships.

So yes, BBs may be easy to play, however, they are hard to be highly successful in.  At least from a WTR perspective.

• Cool 3

[FSD]
Beta Testers
90 posts
3,859 battles

Sign in to follow this