You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
awildseaking

Radar Nerfs

263 comments in this topic

[BOTES]
Members
2,394 posts
10,558 battles

I don't know if radar was ever truly just a smoke counter, but at this point it has become a complete DD deterrent, especially in the case of DD that don't carry smoke or use torpedoes that have less range than radars. With premium radar, SRM1, and no division restrictions, you can forcibly place at least 3 radar ships on your team. This allows for radar chains with no downtime, which makes cap contests and torping impossible. As CA continue to receive survivability buffs, there are still no radar countermeasures of any kind other than always staying out of range; in other words, being removed from the game and left unable to contribute unless you're a VMF DD. In order to deal with these problems, I have a few ideas that don't involve changing how radar fundamentally works or directly nerfing it, but will improve gameplay at high tiers.

EDIT: ACHTUNG! Apparently brainstorming ideas is too confusing for this forum and people assume that I want all ideas that I suggested implemented. I do not. I am providing suggestions based on my own experience to share with others, receive criticism, have a discussion, etc.

1. Limit radar ships to 1 per division. Similar to nation balancing, force an equal number of radar ships on each team.
  2. Reduce the number of charges carried
  3. Increase the reload time significantly
  4. Remove Surveillance Radar 2 (premium radar)
  5. Change Superintendent so it doesn't add an additional charge to radar
  6. Buff torpedo range so that all T8-T10 torpedoes have equal or greater range than radar
Edited by awildseaking

[---]
Banned
6,739 posts
10,146 battles

Cruisers are meant to counter DDs. I'd agree the Mo's radar probably needs a nerf but deal with it otherwise. Before radar cruisers were blundering about with almost no real capability to counter an equal skilled DD. 

Might I add you're acting just as stupid as wargaming here, your suggested nerfs would render radar utterly useless, reducing the charges AND drastically increasing the reload time? Chisel, not hammer. 

Edited by Raptor_alcor
  • Cool 6

[CHASE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,973 posts
13,112 battles

yup, radar kills dds

a9SaUgu.png

no, radar is a fine as is

• Cool 3

[CHASE]
2,973 posts
13,112 battles

they nerfed torps because those enforced a passive gameplay and then introduced radar that does the same even better

please stop talking about things you don't understand

[---]
Banned
6,739 posts
10,146 battles

It's BAK, we're talking about the queen of the DD mafia who doesn't know when to shut the [edited]up and allow people with actual brains to talk. 
  • Cool 1

[CHASE]
2,973 posts
13,112 battles

It's BAK, we're talking about the queen of the DD mafia who doesn't know when to shut the [edited]up and allow people with actual brains to talk. 

true

Members
3,010 posts
10,193 battles

Cruisers are meant to counter DDs. I'd agree the Mo's radar probably needs a nerf but deal with it otherwise. Before radar cruisers were blundering about with almost no real capability to counter an equal skilled DD. 

Might I add you're acting just as stupid as wargaming here, your suggested nerfs would render radar utterly useless, reducing the charges AND drastically increasing the reload time? Chisel, not hammer. 

What about radar on the Black?

[CHASE]
2,973 posts
13,112 battles

i'd rather have german radar and torps that aren't crap

[---]
Banned
6,739 posts
10,146 battles

Black has radar? well in that case yeah that could do with a bit of a knock down as well, tier 7 USN radar effective for both black and mo, otherwise it's honestly acceptable as is due to atleast USN/RU cruisers being able to do their jobs and counter DDs, even if it doesn't kill them but just deters them. 

Members
4,886 posts

except i do

the only thing that radar does it's that it ensures that bb will reign supreme with their uncontested shooting things from afar

check that stat site what kind of winrate all the bb have and on whose behalf

Edited by bad_arcade_kitty
  • Cool 1

[CHASE]
2,973 posts
13,112 battles

Black has radar? well in that case yeah that could do with a bit of a knock down as well, tier 7 USN radar effective for both black and mo, otherwise it's honestly acceptable as is due to atleast USN/RU cruisers being able to do their jobs and counter DDs, even if it doesn't kill them but just deters them. 

that would be a direct buff to black's radar, it only goes to 7.5km

[CHASE]
2,973 posts
13,112 battles

except i do

the only thing that radar does it's that it ensures that bb will reign supreme with their uncontested shooting things from afar

Clearly you are sh:t at playing DDs then. DDs are already incredibly easy to play, things like stealth fire removal and very minor nerfs to jap torpedoes actually make them a little challenging at times and somewhat fun to play.
  • Cool 1

[EATER]
Beta Testers
1,946 posts
9,386 battles

except i do

Gotta call [edited].

Radar has limited range... usually less than the range of my Iowa's secondaries even.

That means when you smoke up your team, our radar ships have to get close for their radar to spot anything.  Meanwhile, as those radar ships are closing team gap with an enemy they can't see or shot at, they're being focused by torps and guns and usually die long before their radar becomes a game changer.

Fact is that radar is only overpowered in 1v1 matches... in fights involving multiple ships at once smoke trumps radar 9 times out of 10.

[---]
Banned
6,739 posts
10,146 battles

except i do

Ignore the windowlicker everyone, BAK has a history of only caring about destroyers, other class capabilities be damned. 

[---]
Banned
6,739 posts
10,146 battles

that would be a direct buff to black's radar, it only goes to 7.5km

Is it? well black's radar is actually the worst of the entire bunch then. I'm not sure what to do about it since it only lasts 20 seconds like the VMF radar and has even shorter range than the USN radar at tier 7... 

[BOTES]
Members
2,394 posts
10,558 battles

No counter in the game is meant to make another class unplayable. Radar will still be incredibly powerful even if you did implement all these nerfs. We would still be talking about 30~60 sec radars with 2-3 charges and the possibility of having multiple radar ships on each team. You can already chain radar without premium radar. Despite this, perhaps you should work on your reading comprehension. I listed several ideas. I did not say "implement all 6 at once."

You can stop being a condescending prick any time.

-snip-

Why are you even posting in this thread? You play solo 25% of the time and you don't even play high tier torp boats. For that matter, why are you bringing up stats as if I'm bad and thus have no idea what I'm talking about? I'm at lower tiers than you, I play worse DD, and we're equally skilled.

• Cool 1

Members
4,886 posts

Ignore the windowlicker everyone, BAK has a history of only caring about destroyers, other class capabilities be damned. 

it's a pure [edited]ad hominem. how about you answer to what i said instead of attacking me personally?

if anything the class that suffered the worst from babbies, constantly whining of nerfs to anything that threatens their armored tubs, it was carriers

[---]
Banned
6,739 posts
10,146 battles

it's a pure [edited]ad hominem. how about you answer to what i said instead of attacking me personally?

if anything the class that suffered the worst from babbies, constantly whining of nerfs to anything that threatens their armored tubs, it was carriers

After over a year of dealing with your [edited]I simply do not have the patience or the tolerance to deal with you or your arrogant attitude in favor of destroyers entirely. I may be a battleship main but I'm not afraid to fight on behalf of other classes, you have NEVER done so except when it would possibly help you and your little band of forum grade terrorists. IJN DDs are in an awkward spot, carriers need desperate help but trying to belittle and insult an ENTIRE [edited]CLASS OF WARSHIPS is not going to do ANYTHING but make wargaming hate the NA forums even more. So shut the hell up and start fighting for actual progress. 
  • Cool 1

Members
4,886 posts

Gotta call [edited].

Radar has limited range... usually less than the range of my Iowa's secondaries even.

That means when you smoke up your team, our radar ships have to get close for their radar to spot anything.  Meanwhile, as those radar ships are closing team gap with an enemy they can't see or shot at, they're being focused by torps and guns and usually die long before their radar becomes a game changer.

Fact is that radar is only overpowered in 1v1 matches... in fights involving multiple ships at once smoke trumps radar 9 times out of 10.

radar and extremely close torp ranges (10 and even 8 km on those levels is a suicide even without radar) led to that high tier bb nowadays are not afraid of their supposed counter whatsoever

Members
4,886 posts

After over a year of dealing with your [edited]I simply do not have the patience or the tolerance to deal with you or your arrogant attitude in favor of destroyers entirely. I may be a battleship main but I'm not afraid to fight on behalf of other classes, you have NEVER done so except when it would possibly help you and your little band of forum grade terrorists. IJN DDs are in an awkward spot, carriers need desperate help but trying to belittle and insult an ENTIRE [edited]CLASS OF WARSHIPS is not going to do ANYTHING but make wargaming hate the NA forums even more. So shut the hell up and start fighting for actual progress. 

ok, not like i lose much if i don't speak to you, possibly i even gain something

[CHASE]
2,973 posts
13,112 battles

Why are you even posting in this thread? You play solo 25% of the time and you don't even play high tier torp boats. For that matter, why are you bringing up stats as if I'm bad and thus have no idea what I'm talking about? I'm at lower tiers than you, I play worse DD, and we're equally skilled.

I showed the stats bc all my games were played solo. And don't judge player skill off WTR, too easily padded by playing dds

[D-DAY]
Members
7,602 posts

The only issue is you are directly nerfing the radar if you change the number of charges and cool down time and that would be a nerf to address a specific scenario.

This seems feasable in the scenario you give, however I ask the question, why don't the DDs just go to another cap? Granted, if it is a low tier game with 3 Belfasts in and no CV then that could be difficult, but to nerf for one issue seems overkill. :honoring:

• Cool 1