Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lochnivar

Thoughts on the Duca D'Aosta

29 comments in this topic

[D-H-O]
[D-H-O]
Members
189 posts
11,572 battles

Of all the ships, this is probably the one that earned its nickname earliest, The Duke.  For us old farts, it's another connection that we think the "read Duke" was John Wayne.  So, I guess it's natural, for me, at least, that after playing a few battles in the Duke, one line kept popping in my head.

A classic movie and this line alone, I think best sums up my initial impression of the Duca D'Aosta.

As almost every reviewer has mentioned, she's fast.  While her guns aren't wonderful, they are comfortable.  I seem to be setting more fires than I expected with her HE fire chance.  The torp angles are great from both sides, taking only a little rudder shift to bring each side to bear.  While she does have a horrific turning radius, she feels wonderfully responsive and very wiggly.  If I were to pull a Rooster Cogburn, I don't really care about the turning radius.  Her armor actually feels adequate to such a charge.  Her bow armor is a respectable 16mm.  My math might be off, but that should mean that it would take something of 228mm or higher to overmatch.  Please somebody check my math and let me know.  That means that the 152s of light cruisers and 203s of most heavy cruisers are going to be subject to bounces at that angle.

As far as her torps are concerned, I'm of a few minds of it.  With a range of 12km, bringing somebody into firing range isn't that hard.  However, with a 51kt speed, you can get tea and visit with the Pope before it reaches the target.  That's not to say that I haven't found it helpful.  There have been a few scenarios where I think my target discounted that I had fired torpedoes and moved back into the path.  It makes sense really, in these tiered battles, you get a kind of clock running in your head.  You plan on the opponent dropping desperation torpedoes while you drop him.  You wait a reasonable amount of time, just in case, and if you don't see the torps, then the assumption is, he didn't fire any.  However, with these TurtleTorps, it's easy, especially at long ranges, to assume the Duke didn't fire torps when the window passes.  I have thought about taking torpedo acceleration, but is a 56 knot torp all that better?  I'm not too concerned on the range reduction, something about 2.4 km, which is still 9.6km of range or about.  However, is the extra 5 knots going to make an appreciable difference?  I don't think so, so I'll probably just stick with the stock torpedoes.

• Cool 2

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
6,535 posts
29,673 battles

Yep, "I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man".  :trollface:

But I do agree with your assessment. On top of all you mentioned she is FUN!

• Cool 2

[D-H-O]
[D-H-O]
Members
189 posts
11,572 battles

FILL YOUR HANDS YOU SUNNAVA B....!

Love that line.

• Cool 1

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,947 battles

Meanwhile I only ever seem to get tier 8 matches in the silly thing, which isn't fun when your range is 14km.

• Cool 1

[RCNW3]
Members
2,002 posts
26,540 battles

There are some tier 6 boats that are competitive when low tier, the Duca is not one of them....

[HINON]
Members
14,340 posts

Yep, "I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man".  :trollface:

But I do agree with your assessment. On top of all you mentioned she is FUN!

hm546ym.gif
  • Cool 1

[D-H-O]
[D-H-O]
Members
189 posts
11,572 battles

There are some tier 6 boats that are competitive when low tier, the Duca is not one of them....

True, but I'm not too concerned with a boat being competitive.  But, then again, I like ships like the Smith and the Yubari, and heavens forgive me, the Mikasa.
  • Cool 1

[UFFA]
Beta Testers
3,784 posts
5,102 battles

Meanwhile I only ever seem to get tier 8 matches in the silly thing, which isn't fun when your range is 14km.

Pray for a cyclone. :teethhappy:
  • Cool 1

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,947 battles

True, but I'm not too concerned with a boat being competitive.  But, then again, I like ships like the Smith and the Yubari, and heavens forgive me, the Mikasa.

Note that I said "fun", not "competitive".

• Cool 1

[CK5]
Members
1,936 posts
23,567 battles

The really bad part of long range, slow torps is that is gives unintended targets plenty of time to wander into them.  Unfortunately, I torped a friendly tonight who I thought was well clear.  Very fortunately, I didn't sink him.  My fault entirely and a good lesson for me for the next time.  

• Cool 1

Members
6 posts
14 battles

I have found the Duke very fun to play, especially when I put speed flags on and start to outrun DDs and torps

Quick side note: MIKASA!:izmena: (sorry, I also enjoy that ship)

Back to the topic at hand, I look forward to more games with the Duke, now I just need to grind my captains skill points.

Have fun out there captains.

Members
7,086 posts

I think she's overhyped. I like her AP, but am not convinced that it's anything particularly special. Her HE, on the other hand, is abysmal. Gun range is also a pretty massive disappointment - another km would have made an enormous difference. The torpedoes are amusing, but indecisive - I don't like that they apparently trade punch for range. I would much rather have 8 or even 6 km torps with a bigger warhead.

Overall? C+ boat with a cool coat of paint/nationality. Nothing special.

[WTFS]
Members
9,331 posts
13,756 battles

I only get T8 matches, so I have to disagree with everything but the speed. Against T5, I expect she's decent, but against T7 and 8, she's a floating instant cit that A) can't hit back due to MG range, and B), Even when she does hit back, does nothing. Plus, her extra consumable for DF is utterly worthless, I've used it every match, I don't believe I've shot down a plane yet. I have, however had the crap bombed out of me.

Members
5,424 posts
3,448 battles

Not a very good ship, and absolutely not worth the money unless you want to be cool and buy the first Italian ship. If you actually care about performance, just buy a Molotov.

• Cool 1

[CK5]
Members
1,936 posts
23,567 battles

I like the d'Aosta.  It seems to have a niche as a DD hunter even with the weak HE (which I rarely use).  I simply load AP and leave it for the entire match and can do respectable damage.  I don't worry about what the ship isn't.  I like it for what it does.  

Members
7,086 posts

I like the d'Aosta.  It seems to have a niche as a DD hunter even with the weak HE (which I rarely use).  I simply load AP and leave it for the entire match and can do respectable damage.  I don't worry about what the ship isn't.  I like it for what it does.  

Cleveland is a superior DD hunter, I would argue - so is the French tier 6. Duca's anemic HE and pathetic armor make it really dangerous to take her into close combat situations, not so much because you risk yourself at the hands of destroyers, but because the momentum will almost always carry you within shooting distance of heavier units. 

Members
5,424 posts
3,448 battles

Not really true. Every other tier 6 cruiser in the game, save for Graf Spee is just as good at, or most cases better at DD hunting than Duca.

Members
866 posts
8,847 battles

I love this ship and do not regret the purchase. i have a 27-1 KDR in it with an 85% win rate over 20 battles so far.

Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
6,106 battles

Duca is not a bad ship at all. Quick, responsive, loonngg range torps. Reminds me of the Sims, but the Duca has better torps.

She's solid. Not good, not bad but solid. I'm glad I picked her up. And playing a lot of German cruisers have helped far as the guns.

Members
1,140 posts
8,387 battles

I've never made as much use of my spotter aircraft as I have on this ship.  14 km from a T8 BB is scary, but 16-17 isn't so bad.  If shooting at small, agile, kiting me is your best shot, by all means.

[-K--]
Beta Testers
4,830 posts

The ship works well for me.

I find it a fun T6.

Edited by Spyde

[HINON]
Privateers
6,266 posts
3,405 battles

really like mine. That speed and maneuverability has already frustrated a good few BB captains, and that AP shell velocity is a nightmare for thinly armored cruisers. Oh, and it's fun having a cruiser that can outrun some DD's. There's no escaping. :trollface:    

[UFFA]
Beta Testers
3,784 posts
5,102 battles

The ship works well for me.

I find it a fun T6.

No, no, no it doesn't fit my play style. I can't farm fire damage. Therefor it sucks. 

giphy.gif

Members
7,086 posts

No, no, no it doesn't fit my play style. I can't farm fire damage. Therefor it sucks. 

giphy.gif

Nice misdirection. The problem with having crappy HE isn't the lack of fire damage - it's the inability to effectively hurt battleships. In this regard, Duca reminds me of an Akizuki without IFHE - IE, "lol, that tickles."

[-K--]
Beta Testers
4,830 posts

giphy.gif

Farm harder then!

Racking up the damage in it isn't to bad.

Edited by Spyde

Sign in to follow this