You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
BigGuy4UUUU

American Carriers Outclassed By Japanese

Jap Nerfs  

13 members have voted

1. 1. What needs to be nerfed about jap Carriers

• Loadout
    • Torpedo Damage
    • Accuracy
    • Squad Size
    • Reserve Size

20 comments in this topic

[BOGPL]
Members
2 posts
3,912 battles

American carriers are just worse in every way. Yeah they, get heavier bombs, but Japanese get so much more planes and so much better damage potential, Americans end up being outclassed no matter how skilled you are they just keep sending planes. I think there is room for changes to nerf Japanese carriers for more fair fights. Also, it's kinda lame the Midway doesn't have jets anymore, I think it should get its jet fighters back. 

Members
3,681 posts
8,111 battles

Solution 1: Stop bothering with Sky cancer heresy

Solution 2: Buy Saipan

Solution 3: Wait for the CV overhaul in the near future

[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,885 posts
21,750 battles

load out is the main problem. If WG were to give USN CV's an additional fighter squad at tier 7+. things would be a bit a bit better balance wise.:read_fish:

• Cool 1

[SOUS]
[SOUS]
Members
301 posts

Does every solution you think of involve nerfing the competition?

Not my first choice. I'd rather see USN CVs buffed back to the point where they are competitive. Otherwise the IJN CVs need nerfing to regain balance in the game.

Members
12,682 posts
14,320 battles

I am often getting blown out of the sky by American planes and their bombers are not bad either do things are balanced as they are now.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
322 posts
4,470 battles

Not my first choice. I'd rather see USN CVs buffed back to the point where they are competitive. Otherwise the IJN CVs need nerfing to regain balance in the game.

I was directing my remark at the loaded poll options. OP doesn't seem to consider buffing the weaker ship as a legitimate option.
  • Cool 1

Members
765 posts
2,849 battles

Could not vote.  Nothing about Japanese CV's should be nerfed.  The question should be.... what should be buffed on American CV's.

• Cool 3

Members
5,597 posts
7,121 battles

WG has something in the works to level them both out. 

Some speculation I've seen is bringing IJNs down to USN level, or vice versa.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,973 posts
13,731 battles

The problem is the US Navy CV load outs have no versatility.

They can bring fighters to shut down the opposing carrier, maybe get a little spotting, and get nothing for doing so.

They can bring strike aircraft to do damage, do almost nothing for their team in most cases, and get little reward if any.

They can also bring a stock load out and take any number of negative outcomes from the above two cases, and dream about something positive.

The problem is the US Navy CV's not being full service CV's, where's all IJN CV's (and the Saipan) are.

CV's to be useful in the limited numbers they are in matches (1 or 2 per side mirrored) they must be able to spot, do a useful amount of damage, and counter the other teams CV's.

I personally don't think that US Navy CV's can ever have load outs that can be balanced to do this with 6 plane squads (adding or removing squads results in too big a jump)

• Cool 1

[BOGPL]
Members
2 posts
3,912 battles

The reason I didn't give any options to buff is because I trust wargming to Nerf a carrier more than buff it.

[RLGN]
Members
19,139 posts
35,179 battles

A sigma buff/nerf (or whatever, maybe +/-1 plane per squad) at least in higher tiers, to represent the 'National Flavor' that by the time the higher tier CVs were in action, the USN Cvs slaughtered everything, and the IJN CVs were filled with full potato noobs.

[OCLUB]
Members
81 posts
4,037 battles

When my Ryujo goes against an Independence with his skills buffed and running air superiority, having 3 squads of 7 fighters each stacking and erasing everything I put in the air, I can't make myself think that I'm the one who needs nerfing, especially when he drops 6 torpedoes on me at once after my one squad of 5 fighters is dead.

[SOUS]
[SOUS]
Members
301 posts

When my Ryujo goes against an Independence with his skills buffed and running air superiority, having 3 squads of 7 fighters each stacking and erasing everything I put in the air, I can't make myself think that I'm the one who needs nerfing, especially when he drops 6 torpedoes on me at once after my one squad of 5 fighters is dead.

No Indy loadout has three fighter squadrons and all US CV's are limited to one TB squadron; meanwhile, the Ryujo has a 1/2/2 loadout option for cross torping. Ryujo's 3/1/1 AS loadout gives you three figher squads allowing 2 on 1 or 3 on 1 fighter engagements and still provides a decent attack capability. The Indy's 2/0/1 AS loadout has no TB's and only one squad of DB's (with 500 lb. bombs) so not much help there. The Ryujo is far more flexible with it's loadouts. Even with the AS loadout, Indy fighters can't be everywhere at once. I have both T6 CV's and find the Ryujo, overall, much easier to play.

The loadout imbalance gets worse as the tiers increase. At T9 and T10, IJN CV's are allowed three TB squadrons while USN is still limited to one. If two TB squads for USN are considered OP, how can anyone justify three TB squads for IJN? There is no balance here. Anyone who's ever been triple cross-torped knows it.

Edited by Chief_Runamuck
  • Cool 1

[OCLUB]
Members
81 posts
4,037 battles

A stock Indy Fighter Squadron is 6 planes. Stock Ryujo is 4. This is an insta-gib every time for the Ryujo if you go 1 on 1. If the Indy captain has the Air Supremacy skill, this goes up to 7. If he stacks two squadrons, and he will because that's smart, that's 14 to 4. Your slower TBs or DBs don't stand a chance. Your single squad of fighters doesn't stand a chance if you're running strike. AS isn't much better.

I checked, and you're right the Indy has 2 Fighter squadrons, I stand corrected, but a swear yesterday I was getting swarmed by 3.

So you have to circle over allies and hope they're not stupid enough to run with their AA off because they think it helps with concealment when they're in open ocean shooting at everything that moves, and who say "Manually target fighter squads? You can do that?" Of course, to do that you lose the HP boost of Evasive maneuvers.

Basically, you can't run, you can't fight, all you can do is die.

[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
1,875 posts
7,308 battles

The easiest way to fix the offensive US carrier planes is to increase the citadel penetration probability of dive bombers.  That would make them as deadly, or more so, than torpedo planes.

[FALSE]
Supertester
20 posts
7,678 battles

I feel quite the opposite, I play IJN CVs and when I see I'm against  a USN CV I feel like I might as well not even launch my aircraft because they only get shot down by the amassment of US fighters. US Cvs have larger reserves and more aircraft per squadron not to mention the fighters IJN CVs may have more strike aircraft but they can keep up with US CVs. At the same time I can see how it is annoying only having one TB and DB squadron but you have so many more aircraft! I have always felt since i've started playing Cv that the standard loadouts need to be about the same for both lines then with the choice to upgrade to more fighters or more strike aircraft, but as of now the only good thing about IJN CVs is the amount of strike aircraft you get; assuming you can keep them from getting chewed-up, I would suggest (if you want to repel IJN CVs from hitting your team's ships) you get a fighter loadout and the Air Supremacy captain skill, with that you may not be ably to do much about hitting enemy ships but you can render their CV useless and it will greatly ease your losses.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
4,023 posts
5,027 battles

A stock Indy Fighter Squadron is 6 planes. Stock Ryujo is 4. This is an insta-gib every time for the Ryujo if you go 1 on 1. If the Indy captain has the Air Supremacy skill, this goes up to 7. If he stacks two squadrons, and he will because that's smart, that's 14 to 4. Your slower TBs or DBs don't stand a chance. Your single squad of fighters doesn't stand a chance if you're running strike. AS isn't much better.

Solution? Don't go 1 on 1.

Sorry, but having Essex, I can tell you that the IJN always get enough fighters to swarm you and crush you unless you take the crappy AS configuration.

If you're dogfighting USN fighters at T6, you're doing it wrong. You're supposed to bind-strafe: lock-em down with one, and strafe with the other while you strafe-escape with the first. At T7, however, you can dogfight: simply take 2 squads to their 1 squad. 2x4 = 8 > 6 And that's why the IJN needs a nerf or the USN needs a buff.

For the record, T6 isn't "High Tier" for carriers. T6 for carriers is like T3 for every other ship. You can start calling it "high tier" once you reach Tier 9 and 10, when you get the 3 torp squads.

[OCLUB]
Members
81 posts
4,037 battles

Solution? Don't go 1 on 1.

Sorry, but having Essex, I can tell you that the IJN always get enough fighters to swarm you and crush you unless you take the crappy AS configuration.

If you're dogfighting USN fighters at T6, you're doing it wrong. You're supposed to bind-strafe: lock-em down with one, and strafe with the other while you strafe-escape with the first. At T7, however, you can dogfight: simply take 2 squads to their 1 squad. 2x4 = 8 > 6 And that's why the IJN needs a nerf or the USN needs a buff.

For the record, T6 isn't "High Tier" for carriers. T6 for carriers is like T3 for every other ship. You can start calling it "high tier" once you reach Tier 9 and 10, when you get the 3 torp squads.

In strike configuration, the Ryujo only has 1 fighter squadron of 4 planes. So not going 1 on 1 is not an option. Air Supremacy takes it up to 1 squadron of 5. But you only have 5 spares. So your technique, while interesting, isn't possible at that level.

With Air Supremacy and Air Superiority you can field 3 squadrons of 5, but you only have one squadron each of TB and DB, which basically means you're useless to your team. I kinda prefer to sink ships, rather than just play a separate game with the other carrier.

Now if I could have 2 Fighters, 2 TB and one DB, then I could deal.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
4,023 posts
5,027 battles

In strike configuration, the Ryujo only has 1 fighter squadron of 4 planes. So not going 1 on 1 is not an option. Air Supremacy takes it up to 1 squadron of 5. But you only have 5 spares. So your technique, while interesting, isn't possible at that level.

My technique was developed courtesy of Saipan. And I must have confused Ryujo, thought you were talking about Hiryu

Now if I could have 2 Fighters, 2 TB and one DB, then I could deal.

Just wait 'til Hiryu. Sure, your starter planes are T6, but they still work at tying things up.