You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Frenotx

Citadel Aiming Advice Requested

12 comments in this topic

Members
1,344 posts
3,206 battles

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not terribly good with battleships. They just aren't my thing, it would seem. More of a CV player (boo, hiss, I know). I would like to shore up this weakness of mine a bit though, so I'm trying to get better with the heavyweights of the sea. I just can't seem to land citadel hits on battleships to save my life, though. Could you guys please take a look at this brief recording, and tell me what I'm doing wrong? Should I be aiming higher? Lower? Rolling the RNG dice better? Thanks.

[HINON]
Members
14,340 posts

You are very unlikely to get any citadel hits on enemy bb's at T3. The guns arent that powerful. You can cit some enemy cruisers though.

[ARMDA]
Members
9,004 posts
6,506 battles

As Rip said, at tier 3 it's kinda hard to get cits. However, the following advice goes for all ships.

Citadels are vitals of a ship. The 'vitals' are located under the funnel and turrets. This counts the engine and ammo storage. In armor viewer, these parts will be armored the highest. In the ship line you're in, the Germans, it's almost impossible to citadel them because of their low citadel.To account for this, when firing from a BB at a German BB, raise your aiming circle, so it'll be midship, right between the topmost deck and the waterline. This will account for the dispersion.

When trying to citadel cruisers, note that it's the same thing, their citadels just raised above the water. In fact, the whole line of German BBs and some others have below water citadels. I don't remember which USN ship, but the citadel is located right below the funnels for everything. Aim correctly, and the Cruisers will go boom.

[FDI]
Beta Testers
34 posts
4,737 battles

Isnt that because the German BB's have turtle-back armor which makes it nearly impossible to citadel close range? Or is that just the higher tiers?

poo

Members
765 posts
2,849 battles

its because you need to have perfect angle and penetration at t3.  Yes, the german ships are citadel resistant at the lower tiers.

Edited by Zim_Xero

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
4,023 posts
5,027 battles

Like so many have said, it's hard to get citadels on Battleships at T3. Most guns just don't have the penetration power for the ranges you'll be fighting at.

However, once you get to T4 and 5, and start seeing T4 and 5 ships, remember to aim a little rearward. Most ships have higher aft magazines than they do bow magazines. If you're good, you can land a devastating multi-cit on a target, like rending 40k health off of a Japanese Battleship in one strike (repair that, ****!).

[_TWP_]
Members
611 posts
6,839 battles

Isnt that because the German BB's have turtle-back armor which makes it nearly impossible to citadel close range? Or is that just the higher tiers?

poo

All German battleships in-game have armor schemes that make it very, very difficult to score citadel hits on them, it's not just the higher-Tier ships in that line.

[NO2BB]
Members
66 posts
21,108 battles

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not terribly good with battleships. They just aren't my thing, it would seem. More of a CV player (boo, hiss, I know). I would like to shore up this weakness of mine a bit though, so I'm trying to get better with the heavyweights of the sea. I just can't seem to land citadel hits on battleships to save my life, though. Could you guys please take a look at this brief recording, and tell me what I'm doing wrong? Should I be aiming higher? Lower? Rolling the RNG dice better? Thanks.

​A citadel is the engine room or ammo under turrets. Generally speaking most ships engine rooms are under the smoke stacks, and ammo under turrets. Aim at the waterline.

When your AP rounds enter the citadel, and do not over penetrate the armor on the other side, you get 100% AP damage, aka a citadel.

​There are 3 times you get citadels:

​1: enemy cruiser or battleship shows you a 90 degree angle on his side (broadside), you hit his engine room.

​2: enemy cruiser or battleship has their bow / stern angled towards you, however your shell penetrates the bow armor, hits the gun #1's ammo, and you get a citadel.

​3: you are at a great range, your shell hits the deck armor and goes down into the citadel.

If a ship is moving towards you, to hit the water line you have to aim slightly below it, so he moves into it.

​Like wise if he's moving away, aim around the deck, or slightly above to have rounds land on him.

​Here is a video I made, although it was made about 6 months ago, so obviously its a different version of the game, principles still apply.

Also, my credentials are 9700 games played, about 1/3 in battleships, 65% win rate.

Edited by Motto22
  • Cool 1

Members
1,614 posts
10,688 battles

Just getting good normal pen damage can go a long way. You can get some nice 10-15K normal pens. Citadels are just icing on the cake. Whatever you can do to get the job done for a win is good enough. If you can find the spot for good normal pens the citadels will follow.

[PVE]
Members
17,085 posts
39,302 battles

I pretty much only watched to your 1st shot for a couple reasons...

1 - You are in a T3 BB which means horribly inaccurate guns so point of aim can mean little as they are so bad. You might aim perfect but have all your shells overshoot, fall short, or fly off left or right. Not only that but the Nassau has very small guns for a BB at only 283MM. Fine vs cruisers but not as effective vs BB's( even T3 BB's ).

2 - You were shooting at a Kaiser. It would take sacrificing your children to RNGesus for you to get a citadel hit on a Kaiser with a Nassau. It would be different if your target were a Kawachi, Myogi, South Carolina, or a Wyoming. Kaiser however has very tough KM TB armor so barring a perfect shot on the perfect spot, at the perfect angle, and the blessing of RNGesus, you just aren't citadeling it.

So don't take not citadeling a Kaiser, or any BB, with a T3 BB as an indication you aren't aiming right. Your 1st shot where you lined up even with where the water and hull met looked right to me for most situations. Right location and appropriate lead. Again, inaccurate, small guns, at KM TB armor, = no citadel. Keep that location and appropriate lead mechanic going as you climb tiers and the citadels will come.

However, the one exception is when shooting at KM BB's. Don't aim where the water and hull meet but rather raise up and aim for the line where the deck meets the hull or just below it. This lets you hit the weaker upper belt of the KM BB's and will give good pen damage. IT can also lead to citadels via plunging fire through the deck at long range. 

Higher tier KM BB's can be citadeled by other BB's with big guns( at odd angles vs traditional full broadside )if you hit just the right spot. In the span of 6 days I got a Gneisenau, Tirpitz, and Bismarck for citadels. All 3 came as they were coming at me bow on angled. There appears to be a weak spot they can be citadeled through via the bow on angled profile if you can overmatch the bow armor. Point of aim was that deck meets hull line.

So a KM BB can be citadeled it just needs to be in the right spot and with higher tier BB's. Chances of doing it at T3/T4 are slim to none. Other nation's BB's however can be citadeled at all tiers, even at T3/T4, just not as often low tier due to weaker and less accurate guns.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,240 posts
4,523 battles

I pretty much only watched to your 1st shot for a couple reasons...

1 - You are in a T3 BB which means horribly inaccurate guns so point of aim can mean little as they are so bad. You might aim perfect but have all your shells overshoot, fall short, or fly off left or right. Not only that but the Nassau has very small guns for a BB at only 283MM. Fine vs cruisers but not as effective vs BB's( even T3 BB's ).

2 - You were shooting at a Kaiser. It would take sacrificing your children to RNGesus for you to get a citadel hit on a Kaiser with a Nassau. It would be different if your target were a Kawachi, Myogi, South Carolina, or a Wyoming. Kaiser however has very tough KM TB armor so barring a perfect shot on the perfect spot, at the perfect angle, and the blessing of RNGesus, you just aren't citadeling it.

So don't take not citadeling a Kaiser, or any BB, with a T3 BB as an indication you aren't aiming right. Your 1st shot where you lined up even with where the water and hull met looked right to me for most situations. Right location and appropriate lead. Again, inaccurate, small guns, at KM TB armor, = no citadel. Keep that location and appropriate lead mechanic going as you climb tiers and the citadels will come.

However, the one exception is when shooting at KM BB's. Don't aim where the water and hull meet but rather raise up and aim for the line where the deck meets the hull or just below it. This lets you hit the weaker upper belt of the KM BB's and will give good pen damage. IT can also lead to citadels via plunging fire through the deck at long range. 

Higher tier KM BB's can be citadeled by other BB's with big guns( at odd angles vs traditional full broadside )if you hit just the right spot. In the span of 6 days I got a Gneisenau, Tirpitz, and Bismarck for citadels. All 3 came as they were coming at me bow on angled. There appears to be a weak spot they can be citadeled through via the bow on angled profile if you can overmatch the bow armor. Point of aim was that deck meets hull line.

So a KM BB can be citadeled it just needs to be in the right spot and with higher tier BB's. Chances of doing it at T3/T4 are slim to none. Other nation's BB's however can be citadeled at all tiers, even at T3/T4, just not as often low tier due to weaker and less accurate guns.

This is it. The Germans are very hard to citadel, and when you do, it's weird. Contrary to popular belief, they do have one, but It's something you want to hit from above at medium range. I took my CO into training room, sailed up point blank with the 16inchers on a broadside German, and no cit. However, 10-15km with plunging fire at weird angle, I've hit a few. The best place to aim for a German is not the water line, but the upper belt, just below the deck. This will yield massive normal pens. I've had 20K salvoes with the NM on broadside Germans aiming like this.

Everyone else, waterline, like you were aiming. It's still not a sure thing, but it's definitely going to hurt. Also, at T3 (especially with a German) accuracy is garbage. It's not until I'd say T5 that you get the accuracy to hit citadels consistently. Also, many Dreadnoughts have a turtleback similar to the Germans, that makes citadels hard. The NM, for example, is really only able to be cited at medium range with plunging fire (Although I think 16in can do it more easily and at flatter angles). So it may not be you, it's just the armor layouts. Actually working for once.

[F-U]
Members
205 posts
3,248 battles

Unfortunately, as other people have mentioned, you don't really get consistent citadels until higher tiers when guns get much better compared to citadels. I wouldn't worry too much about citadel hits till around tier 5-6.