Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Wowzery

Peek-a-Boo

12 comments in this topic

Members
4,608 posts

I'm not a CA main, I'll be blunt, I suck in CAs and will admit it.  I'm a BB main.

But that aside, I'm seeing more and more CAs employ what I call a peek-a-boo tactic with islands.  They 'sneak' out, fire a few shots and then 'quickly' retreat back behind the island.  They do this several times, some the entire game.

As a BB main I love seeing this tactic by an enemy CA.  You are so easy to aim and shoot even if you disappear.  I know where you are going, where you are going to be, and just have to wait until you come back out and BAM!

So the question is, you CA mains, why do you do it?  Does it really give you an advantage, or is it a mental advantage you think its giving you?  Or are these the WoT players employing the same tank tactics over here are WoWS?

Honestly, all I see it as is easy damage.

[INTEL]
Members
3,265 posts
6,614 battles

I really like the ones that stop, broadside, in open water.

But yes, the peek-a-boo ships are fun to shoot at. I took 10k off an Atlanta doing that while in my Fiji this morning. Which is ironic because I was doing the same thing just safe and snug in my smoke cloud.

Members
5,202 posts

I play peek-a-boo quite effectively in the Balti and Des Moines. By using islands, you can limit how many ships have LoS on you. Additionally, some of those cruisers are decently tanky from the front. 

Ships like the Hindenburg have better ballistics and can engage in open water gunfights more effectively than USN cruisers. 

Short story, it really depends on the ship. Maximize the strengths of your ship and account for its weaknesses. 

EDIT: Having said all that, I've had plenty of embarrassing moments where I slam on the brakes just a little too late and end up dead-in-the-water and broadside to the enemy team. :facepalm:

Edited by Kombat_W0MBAT

Members
5,597 posts
7,121 battles

Yeah, peek a boo doesn't make much sense. Sounds like a WOT tactic.

Most Cruisers I run I'll just fire over islands. Much easier to stay hidden. If I get targeted, it's much easier to blink out and move on to the next island.

Members
2,857 posts
9,224 battles

I'm not a CA main, I'll be blunt, I suck in CAs and will admit it.  I'm a BB main.

But that aside, I'm seeing more and more CAs employ what I call a peek-a-boo tactic with islands.  They 'sneak' out, fire a few shots and then 'quickly' retreat back behind the island.  They do this several times, some the entire game.

As a BB main I love seeing this tactic by an enemy CA.  You are so easy to aim and shoot even if you disappear.  I know where you are going, where you are going to be, and just have to wait until you come back out and BAM!

So the question is, you CA mains, why do you do it?  Does it really give you an advantage, or is it a mental advantage you think its giving you?  Or are these the WoT players employing the same tank tactics over here are WoWS?

Honestly, all I see it as is easy damage.

Dude you shouldn't have said anything to them. I love having a Cleveland play that game with me behind a low island.

[CK5]
Members
1,933 posts
23,488 battles

I have never been a fan of island hugging in CAs and I am a cruiser main.  Purely personal preference, but I like to stay in more open water and shoot as fast as I can while employing WASD.  

[D-DAY]
Members
7,600 posts

Wow-Wowzery! A BB main telling CAs what they are doing wrong making It harder in game to beat them. Hat's off to you, at first I thought you were posting the thread because that tactic annoyed you and you had to come and vent, but in a way that 'wasn't' venting (if you know what I mean lol).

Respect. :honoring:

Edited by _WaveRider_

[-NEM-]
Members
1,108 posts
13,358 battles

I don't find that tactic very useful. Sure, you can do it once, even twice, but if you keep doing it, all the enemy team will know where you are. It is a waste of potential damage you can get elsewhere.

Have seen a Hipper, some frenchies and khabarovsks do that, I even facepalm during the match :facepalm:

Members
1,870 posts
20,646 battles

I've noticed an increase in the use of this tactic also. It's reminded me of the old Whack a Mole arcade game; especially when two or more of the red team are doing it.:red_button:

Alpha Tester
2,902 posts
6,252 battles

I do it.  Chyapayev for instance.  However, if you're seeing me to target me then it means I messed up and got lit up by a ship or enemy airplane I wasn't expecting.  I usually do it to keep myself hidden as opposed to doing it when targeted. 

Members
4,608 posts

I do it.  Chyapayev for instance.  However, if you're seeing me to target me then it means I messed up and got lit up by a ship or enemy airplane I wasn't expecting.  I usually do it to keep myself hidden as opposed to doing it when targeted.

There is a difference between hiding behind the island, and coming out almost all the way, fire, and retreat.  You're going to be spotted.  And even if you're not, I can see where you are by your shots, and I love sending up a spotter and returning fire.  Nothing better seeing a CA hiding behind an island deleted in one shot.

Sign in to follow this