SuperNikoPower

Extended: Build me a fleet—Model ship contest! NA/EU forces combine!

263 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

I only build 1/350, that's around $100 a kit and I don't think you want me to be spending the money I'd otherwise be spending on this game on another company. ;)

Come to think of it... I don't think I've built a model since I started playing this game since I've been spending all of my spare cash on this game. I might be rusty! :teethhappy:

Best of luck to the others!

Edit: Well, don't count me out yet... I'll think a little harder and do some window shopping. :look:

Edit again: Nevermind, There's no way I'm going to be able to have enough time... I'd have to order a kit online (local hobby store closed 2 years ago :( ) wait for it to ship (which may very well take 14 days by itself) and then build it (which would take at least 3 days of dedicated working on the model, if not more). Unfortunately, the time limit is just too small for me. :(

Edited by dseehafer

[RRC]
Retired WoWS Community Contributors, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
833 posts
6,836 battles

This is just fine. 

Oh, im gonna have fun with this. Been meaning to build a Z-52 in lego. 

Not an entry but an example of what to expect:

https://m.imgur.com/a/WqXeF  ijn Fubuki

https://m.imgur.com/a/6OdeK Uss Sims

[SOTA]
Members
57 posts
11,128 battles

Hmm, I have a full box of miniature Arpeggio of Blue Steel models from my visit to Japan in 2015...  which one should I build, guys?

I have:

- Iona/401

- Maya

- Takao

- Kirishima

- Kongo

- Haruna

Can't remember OTOH if there were others...  

@Niko, could I build and submit the entire fleet?

Zath, Do the Takao! The colors would be stunning, not to mention that class has very nice lines!

[5BS]
Members
7,256 posts

Sheesh, I'm gonna have trouble building 1 ship in 14 days and you want to do a fleet?

M

OGm5IjC.png

I haven't built all of them yet, and have a few more can be quickly made from hulls that I haven't even tried yet. Like I could whip out CV's like crazy from the various hulls I have built. I live, eat, breath ship design, real or lego.

Members
2,126 posts
5,023 battles

Oh, im gonna have fun with this. Been meaning to build a Z-52 in lego. 

Not an entry but an example of what to expect:

https://m.imgur.com/a/WqXeF  ijn Fubuki

https://m.imgur.com/a/6OdeK Uss Sims

Did you use LDD for that?

My LDD starts to crash at 10,000 bricks so I can't pull too much detail off at minifig scale.

Beta Testers
8 posts
2,290 battles

I think I have just the ship in my model stash for this, and I actually think I could get it done in 14 days too

[5BS]
Members
7,256 posts

My LDD starts to crash at 10,000 bricks so I can't pull too much detail off at minifig scale.

It's very memory heavy. That's why I stick to 1:700. I did 1, 1:50 and regretted it immediately.

[BLEP]
Alpha Tester
1,150 posts
5,616 battles

Can I submit a 3D CATIA model made on the computer? I know I saw someone ask about CAD Lego so does this apply all the same?

[RRC]
833 posts
6,836 battles

Yes its LDD. My pc manages to handle up to 26k bricks before it has issues.

http://m.imgur.com/a/rFNbn uss california

• Cool 1

WoWS Wiki Editor, Members
854 posts
8,091 battles

This sounds like a good reason to build the Atago model I have. Looking forward to seeing everyone's creations!

Members
2 posts
1,563 battles

Can they be ships that were started but not completed? I have an unfinished Bismarck and I would never be able to finish a new model in 14 days... It takes about a month for me to finish 1 model.

[TBOW]
Beta Testers
3,265 posts
653 battles

Remember computer folks, you have to turn these into physical models. Got a couple PMs asking. So get your lego building tools out. 

Also, I will get clarification but we are looking for actual builds. Not 3D printed. 

[DRACS]
Alpha Tester
71 posts
4,287 battles

Challenge accepted. 2 Weeks for a build I'm on it.

Edited by Brigham

[5BS]
Members
7,256 posts

Remember computer folks, you have to turn these into physical models. Got a couple PMs asking. So get your lego building tools out. 

Also, I will get clarification but we are looking for actual builds. Not 3D printed. 

So then, the design can be old, just the physical model needs to be put together *now*? I don't have enough spares (and takes way more than 14 days to order and deliver ~500 parts) to build most of the 'new' ideas I have, but I can put together some of my smaller designs I have already designed in LDD with parts I have already/take off of existing models (ahh lego, so much easier to deal with).

Looks like I am finally building my Nevada or the proposed upgrades to my bismarck model.

Also... don't lego models make the 'current' build rule difficult since you can take them apart?

Edited by _RC1138

[HINON]
Supertester
20,904 posts
14,527 battles

So then, the design can be old, just the physical model needs to be put together *now*?

If I read the rules correctly, you can submit already built models you completed earlier.

[KWA]
Beta Testers
1,840 posts
4,944 battles

Drat... Well in that case I am out... While I got a good number of legos and good experience making ships out of them, not sure if it is worth building a ship out of rainbow colors. Used to have a nice, long battleship. Maybe I could remake something...

[RRC]
833 posts
6,836 battles

Well that puts a damper in my day :/ . Guess Ill have to pick a different medium or just let this contest go.

[HINON]
Members
10,926 posts

If I read the rules correctly, you can submit already built models you completed earlier.

Nope that wont work since you have to have a pic of it in progress and a completed pic with both having a sheet of paper with the date and etc on it.

• You are allowed to upload 2 pictures in one entry. In order for us to consider your submission, show us your progress in one of the two and the finished model in the other. Don't forget to include the date and Wargaming.net username on a piece of paper!

[5BS]
Members
7,256 posts

Nope that wont work since you have to have a pic of it in progress and a completed pic with both having a sheet of paper with the date and etc on it.

• You are allowed to upload 2 pictures in one entry. In order for us to consider your submission, show us your progress in one of the two and the finished model in the other. Don't forget to include the date and Wargaming.net username on a piece of paper!

So... I mean legos come apart. I get that you want to avoid PREBUILT models, as in diecast, premade, prepainted models (like the Axis and Allies plastic prepainted toys), but the practicality of some mediums means that either making a new one in 14 days is impossible/impractical or easy to game since I could just break down one of my lego models to singular parts and rebuild it.

Either way, I'd like to know. I can build a new one from scratch, new design and all, but it'll be a small DD. If I can submit stuff I've already designed but not built, maybe a cruiser or standard type BB, if it's stuff I already built in the past, I've got a few cool ones not usually seen that would be cool to see some reaction to.

Edited by _RC1138

[CHASE]
Members
194 posts
3,713 battles

Sadly, I have no means or skill when it comes to physical model building. I was hyped until I saw that, and the prizes are amazing. =<

Oh well. I guess I'll just have to vote and hope, since I'm not getting a model boat. (Har, poetry in motion. =P)

Good luck, everyone entering! o7

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

Remember folks, popsicle sticks are within the realm of possibilities. Better start eating! :trollface:

Related image

Related image

tirpitz_01.jpg

Edited by dseehafer
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
20,904 posts
14,527 battles

Good point.

I still have a Blyskawica model lying around, this is a good excuse to break it out.

[-DZ-]
Members
591 posts
27,307 battles

Can a creation from ksp count?  I modded mine so I can build a cruiser or battleship rather effectively....

[HINON]
Members
10,926 posts

Good point.

I still have a Blyskawica model lying around, this is a good excuse to break it out.

I cant wait to see the finished product. Hopefully it assembles as fast as it's name.