NikoPower

Extended: Build me a fleet—Model ship contest! NA/EU forces combine!

• You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.

263 posts in this topic

BkSpudT.jpg

Here are your winners for the Build Me A Fleet model contest. The winners will be contacted by forum PM. If you absolutely can't be reached that way, we will reach out by email. 

NA Winners: 

1st: Cardeas_1st - Chose Atago

2nd:  Merfox - Model Choice TBD

3rd: Sharkbait_416 - Model Choice TBD

EU Winners: 

1st: YAK52

2nd: Hai_760

3rd: ShinyEpic

Captains,

For months we've been watching with pride as more and more of your awesome ships set sail toward the seas, so we prepared a special transatlantic contest to celebrate one of the coolest hobbies out there with some great Italeri model kits!

Europe and North America join forces in showing you the recognition you deserve, so get ready to show off your best work for nifty physical and in-game prizes, as well as a flag specially created to commemorate the friendship between our regions and the passion we share for history and craftsmanship.

e213bdb8-2f30-11e7-9b13-ac162d8bc1e4.png

You don't own a model kit yet? No problem! You can also participate in the contest by submitting ships you PHYSICALLY created and built from scratch.

If you're not a model builder yourself, no worries! With a bit of luck, you'll be one of the 10 random winners of 20 Restless Fire camouflages by simply voting for your favourite model.

Moreover, if we reach more than 1,000 votes, everyone who voted will get the special flag!

The complete set of rules can be found here. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. We'll be happy to help and hear your feedback!

Prizes:

1st place

• The lucky winner gets to choose their model kit from the three we have available:

• Italeri Bismarck Model Kit (1:700)
    • Italeri Essex Model Kit (1:700)
    • Italeri Atago Model Kit (1:700)
  • 25 Dragon Flags
  • 10 Economy Flags
  • 50 Restless Fire Camouflages
  • Special EU-NA Commemorative Flag

2nd place

• One of the remaining Italeri Model Kits
  • 25 Dragon Flags

3rd place

• The remaining Italeri Model Kit
  • 25 Dragon Flags

Voters:

• 10 x 20 Restless Fire Camouflages (random)

Contest Calendar:

Submissions: May 02 - 0900 Pacific Time May 25 REMEMBER! You must submit your images on the official submission page. Please click the link above marked "SUBMISSION". Forum submissions will not count. 

Voting: May 31st - June 7th

Good luck to you all!

Action Stations!

well, i have a pre-made 1:1000 Yamato, and 2, i think 1:700s of Arizona and Missouri

well, i have a pre-made 1:1000 Yamato, and 2, i think 1:700s of Arizona and Missouri

Models have to be build for this contest only. Previous builds will not count. 

• You have to submit your own work. You are not allowed to use any model kits or creations that had already been built and uploaded to the internet by other people. In order to prove this, we're asking you to write your Wargaming.net username and the date on a piece of paper and place it next to your model prior to taking the picture and submitting it.

• You are allowed to upload 2 pictures in one entry. In order for us to consider your submission, show us your progress in one of the two and the finished model in the other. Don't forget to include the date and Wargaming.net username on a piece of paper!

Do CAD Lego models count? I have quite a few of them made.

They said all materials are fine, so I guess...

Posted (edited) · Report post

• You have to submit your own work. You are not allowed to use any model kits or creations that had already been built and uploaded to the internet by other people. In order to prove this, we're asking you to write your Wargaming.net username and the date on a piece of paper and place it next to your model prior to taking the picture and submitting it.

• You are allowed to upload 2 pictures in one entry. In order for us to consider your submission, show us your progress in one of the two and the finished model in the other. Don't forget to include the date and Wargaming.net username on a piece of paper!

sadness, btw loving the new sig oh Great Corgi Overlord Niko, who is a corgi in a human mech suit as he admitted it not too long ago right?  

Doing us a hecking adorable with that profile pic

Edited by tcbaker777

This is just fine. 

oh wow..  building a complete model in 14 days..  ermmm will think about it..  I normally take 14 days just to get the bits together :)

M

EDIT.. yep I'm in,  found what I want to do and will get started..  I doubt it will be a contender but it will be a model warship and built in 14 days or less  (to me, thats the challenge as to level of detail, that will be pretty damn basic) :)

Period not a problem I guess.. just a ship model?

M

Edited by MaliceA4Thought

I have actually scratchbuilt ships, but I've used cast and etched details..

The example Atlanta you show probably uses etched brass railing, lost wax brass castings, turned barrels, and other details that are usually purchased from a commercial third-party.  If someone actually built that totally from scratch...   IN 14 DAYS..  wow !!!!   That is one master craftsman and organized manufacturer with dedicated tooling and supplies to fill a moderate garage..

-- I must exclude myself since it takes me longer than that to do a decent paint job -- That model you show would take me well over a year of free time to build.

I was planning on building an HO scale Hermelin for my train layout...  but ... not enough time.

Edit...  OK.. I misunderstood..  re-read the rules.  So any model kit from any hobby store is allowed?  The glue doesn't need to be dry.

So that Hasegawa Kaga - the only complete kit rescued from my divorce, is a contender.
It's too bad I don't have time to kit-bash it into a Tosa class battleship...  lol

Edited by AVR_Project

Sweet. I have a Graf Spee that I've been meaning to build. I'll try to bust it out.

Well that's a shame. You can't rush art. Whoever can actually do this in 14 days, I salute you. :honoring:

This is just fine. 

Since CAD Lego models count, I'm assuming actual Lego models count, as well. Cause I can do those.

Where can I buy models that are already assembled?

I would honestly just like some here at home for my desk, but I dont want to have to put them together and paint them myself...

Edited by OscarMike_

Nice to offer this contest. With the short time span there is no way for me to trash something together.

I shall pass on this event.

Since CAD Lego models count, I'm assuming actual Lego models count, as well. Cause I can do those.

Yup you can. 

Where can I buy models that are already assembled?

I would honestly just like some here at home for my desk, but I dont want to have to put them together and paint them myself...

I remember coming across a couple sites online where people would put them together for you. There is usually a cost involved. 

Welp, I'm out. None of my aftermarket 1:426 Arizona bits have even shipped yet and I doubt the 1:700 Atago I built last year would count.

I've been building a few Lego models in my basement for a while.  Maybe it's time to give them some light.

Niko, the thread title should have been "Build me a fleet worthy of Corgis!"

This sounds like a cool idea. I'm not really a physical model builder myself (I still have an unused U-505 model that I got years ago when I went to Chicago back after finishing 8th grade.), but this sounds like something that would be great for those of us that are. I'm not a physical model builder, but I've done some neat things in 3-D cad software back in highschool, mostly Star Trek and Star Wars ships, or at least my own takes on them. Funnily enough, considering how much people that play Minecraft are bad mouthed on these forums, I've done some pretty crazy builds in it after the educational licence on the 3-D cad software ran out from highschool. This time I went a bit off the beaten track and (having been introduced to Starblazers (Space Battleship Yamato) and Captain Harlock) I set out to build some space battleships. The first one is a mashup of traits from USN ships and IJN ships borrowing heavily from things in Space Battleship Yamato and I named it the Neil Armstrong, as he died just after I started working on it. I've done a few more over time and the most recent and by far the biggest one, the Immortal, is still less than half finished despite starting it almost two years ago (college will do that to your side projects and hobbies). Even the smallest one I've built still took at least a month to do, building it one block at a time, figuring out how to make things look as close as possible to how I wanted them to look on the scale that I am building at. Of course being Minecraft, half of the work is actually fleshing out an interior (as much as I can with what I've got in the game to work with). Sometimes I don't think people appreciate how much work you end up putting into making blocks into a coherent object, it's just like working out how to build those massive Lego models that professional Lego builders do, but without most of the non-block shaped things that Legos have.

Neat idea!

I won't be participating since I have a small cat that just loves to grab any small item she can, but I look forward to seeing what gets built and voting on it. Good luck!

Hey Niko, since CAD legos count (based on what a Google search showed me what they are), does that mean that all computer made 3D models count? I don't have the time to make a physical model, but can build something nifty using SolidWorks.

Can we make more than 1 submission? For example if I have a fleet of self built models?

Can we make more than 1 submission? For example if I have a fleet of self built models?

Sheesh, I'm gonna have trouble building 1 ship in 14 days and you want to do a fleet?

M

Very nice concept! I have a few kits that have been waiting... Arizona BB-39, I also have 1:700 scale Essex and Indianapolis... I wanted to do them as waterline models in a sculpted diorama... :hmm:hmmm... lots to consider and little time to do! I better get busy!

Hmm, I have a full box of miniature Arpeggio of Blue Steel models from my visit to Japan in 2015...  which one should I build, guys?

I have:

- Iona/401

- Maya

- Takao

- Kirishima

- Kongo

- Haruna

Can't remember OTOH if there were others...  

@Niko, could I build and submit the entire fleet?