You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
OscarMike_

Warspite or Arizona

118 comments in this topic

Members
1,703 posts
8,464 battles

I have both, but can't decide which one I enjoy most.  What are your thoughts on them?

I am sure there are some good breakdowns of the main differences/strengths/weaknesses around here somewhere..

I heard that Warspite catches fire easier?  Seems that Arizona is slightly more tanky (armor wise), also seems like Arizona has a harder (stronger) alpha strike.  Please elaborate on the differences :)

BTW: Tier 6/7 seems to be the best/funnest tier in game right now.

Edited by OscarMike_

[YARRR]
Members
735 posts
5,955 battles

I prefer Arizona as it has better guns and is indeed "tankier".  Warspite is faster but that advantage is more than balanced out by it's horrible turret traverse and lack luster guns compared to Arizona

If Arizona had not come along, I'd still be in my New Mexico, and I still much prefer her to Warspite, which sits in port a lot these days.

[O_O]
Members
7,886 posts
22,012 battles

I don't have Warspite, so my opinion won't be fully educated.  However, Arizona is amazing.  Her accuracy and tight dispersion patterns are almost troll-ish and she tanks very well.  She is one of my few ships at Tier 6 that I have no frustration taking into Tier 8 matches.  She is light on AA, of course, and her biggest problem is her slow speed.  I have had several games where I have gone 1v1 with a North Carolina or Amagi, beat them up and made them turn tail.  Priceless!

• Cool 1

Members
1,019 posts
8,525 battles

Arizona is better IMO, the turret traverse in the Warspite just kills my game experience.

• Cool 1

[MAUS]
Members
13,684 posts

Sure, I'll bite:

Warspite Advantages over Arizona

• 381mm main armament can overmatch the bows of tier 6 and 7 Battleships.
  • Her main armament is more accurate(*)
  • Her main armament reloads more quickly.
  • Excellent secondary gun battery.
  • Second-best AA defense among the tier 6 Battleships
  • Faster and far more agile than Arizona (like it's not even a contest -- Warspite turns a full degree per second faster).
  • Warspite is more stealthy.
  • Better Damage Control Party
  • Better Repair Party

Arizona Advantage over Warspite

• More hit points.
  • Better armour layout.
  • Bigger alpha strike.
  • Better overall DPM despite her slower reload.
  • Much improved range.
  • Better gun handling.

* - Tests are still being done to understand just how battleship accuracy works.  This point is based off of the smaller horizontal dispersion over distance possessed by British Battleships combined with Warspite's 2.0 sigma value versus the 1.8 of Arizona.

So it looks like Warspite has more advantages going for it, doesn't it?  Well, sure, but more advantages doesn't necessarily make her better.  Arizona has it where it counts:  Firepower and durability.  This alone will carry many battles and will definitely make Arizona seem like a better contender in most situations.  This makes Warspite more of a ship that requires finesse and experience to do well in.  She has a lot of gimmicks that need to be properly managed while Arizona is about as subtle as a brick:  Arizona applies heavy firepower and lets the resulting explosions sort out the messes she finds herself in.

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse
  • Cool 11

[-K--]
Members
663 posts
7,529 battles

I like my Arizona better, but haven't played the Warspite enough to have a proper feel for it. It helps to have a 19 point USN bb captain ready to throw on the Arizona. 

[YARRR]
Members
735 posts
5,955 battles

Warspite's skill floor does indeed make her "less comfortable" to play, mostly because of the turret traverse as mentioned. 

I still did well with her, but, why fight a ship when you can run one that works better for you?  My good matches in Warspite were VERY situational, unlike Arizona (or New Mexico for that matter), where it is just a better all around experience.

Members
1,703 posts
8,464 battles

Sure, I'll bite:

• Faster and far more agile than Arizona (like it's not even a contest -- Warspite turns a full degree per second faster).
  • Better Repair Party

• More hit points.
  • Better armour layout.
  • Bigger alpha strike.
  • Much improved range.
  • Better gun handling.

* - Tests are still being done to understand just how battleship accuracy works.  This point is based off of the smaller horizontal dispersion over distance possessed by British Battleships combined with Warspite's 2.0 sigma value versus the 1.8 of Arizona.

So it looks like Warspite has more advantages going for it, doesn't it?  Well, sure, but more advantages doesn't necessarily make her better.  Arizona has it where it counts:  Firepower and durability.  This alone will carry many battles and will definitely make Arizona seem like a better contender in most situations.  This makes Warspite more of a ship that requires finesse and experience to do well in.  She has a lot of gimmicks that need to be properly managed while Arizona is about as subtle as a brick:  Arizona applies heavy firepower and lets the resulting explosions sort out the messes she finds herself in.

Thanks for taking the time to help mouse

Alpha Tester
1,375 posts
14,330 battles

Sure, I'll bite:

• Better Repair Party

• More hit points.
  • Better armour layout.
  • Bigger alpha strike.
  • Much improved range.
  • Better gun handling.

But Arizona has a better DCP because it lasts 20 sec rather than 5

Alpha Tester
2,162 posts
6,770 battles

The deciding difference, in my opinion, is the Warspite's combination of caliber and accuracy. Because you can stay at range and hit other ships very reliably you don't need to test its sub par armor. Additionally you can penetrate all other tier 6 BBs through the front, and get citadels in that fashion.

Not to say that Arizona isn't great, with its solid armor and huge broadside. But in the hands of a skilled player Warspite has more leveragable advantages.

Members
23 posts
3,347 battles
In my opinion the Arizona is hands down a better ship, but the Warspite is more fun to play because of its incredible maneuverability. Although I love both ships and can't pick a favorite, I feel like I do a little better in the Arizona. 

[MAUS]
Members
13,684 posts

But Arizona has a better DCP because it lasts 20 sec rather than 5

Immunity windows be damned.  I'll gladly take a 60s reset timer over 80s. 

9ibif9.jpg

Members
1,703 posts
8,464 battles

The armor though, really isnt that much of a difference is it?  I mean arent both ships practically identical if angled?

And does Warspite technically catch fire easier?

Edited by OscarMike_

[NSF]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,304 posts
9,284 battles

Warspite to be honest. Arizona doesn't uptier nearly as well.

[HINON]
Members
14,340 posts

I have enjoyed the Warspite more due to the great accuracy and the larger caliber guns but this enjoyment only became apparent when I played her enough to know how to use her well. The AZ is still a lot of fun to play but being so slow is a bit annoying.

Members
707 posts
4,742 battles

My Warspite burns a lot, but I haven't played enough Arizona battles to compare. That said, Her Majesty's Ship can heal back from almost dead to almost 100% health. Mouse's assessment is bang on, either way.

[MCWF]
7,026 posts
29,088 battles

You have skillz? Warspite

You don't care? Arizona

Both are good but the Arizona is much easier to handle. With the Warspite you learn how to read the minimap and position yourself because it's faster to remove the turrets and set them back into the barbette then to wait till they turned by themselfs. If you are unlucky enough to meet a CV you better come with some cruiser that protects you if you are in a Arizona. Her AA is a few guys with some airguns. The Warspite has the better AA and you have a chance to outmanouver the torps.

[VVV]
Members
341 posts

I like Arizona when I wanna beat up ships bring democracy at tier 6

I like Warspite when I want to colonize tier 6

Fixed :)

Its about the sound track:

Edited by gloom13

[F-U]
Members
240 posts
3,458 battles

Warspite to be honest. Arizona doesn't uptier nearly as well.

That's funny, I would have said the exact opposite. Warspite gets chewed up by T8 BB's at all angles. 

[-BWS]
Beta Testers
1,896 posts
13,781 battles

Warspite,

Mouse is correct in the assessment but

Warspite.

I actually sold my Arizona because she was too damn slow and could not hang in a fight. The secondary's on the Warspite with improvements make the difference.

I have achieved dreadnought so many times on my Warspite its not funny.

[KMS]
4,044 posts

Warspite is the only BB that can repair citadel damage.

[MAUS]
Members
13,684 posts

I heard that Warspite catches fire easier? 

And does Warspite technically catch fire easier?

Sub_Octavian answered this in a podcast interview.  All tier 6 premium ships have the same chance to catch fire per shell.  Warspite is no more flammable than Arizona, Dunkerque, Mutsu or any fully upgraded tech tree Battleship (New Mexico, Bayern, Fuso).  It's all in people's heads.

[RLGN]
Members
19,119 posts
35,138 battles

You have skillz? Warspite

You don't care? Arizona

Both are good but the Arizona is much easier to handle. With the Warspite you learn how to read the minimap and position yourself because it's faster to remove the turrets and set them back into the barbette then to wait till they turned by themselfs. If you are unlucky enough to meet a CV you better come with some cruiser that protects you if you are in a Arizona. Her AA is a few guys with some airguns. The Warspite has the better AA and you have a chance to outmanouver the torps.

Pretty much; Once I 'got gud' with Warspite, (armor angling, damage control/repair efficiancy, knowing how to manuever so as to HELP the turrets turn, instead of masking them longer than neccessary, Warspite became a blast to play; nothing like facing off against to equal-tier battleships and listing to the 'bonk!' of a deflection.)

Arizona I liked because I'd already 'learned' to play it by using New Mexico. Some differences, but not really enough to matter.

Warspite agonizing slow turret turning radius, Arizona's is much better it plays exactly like New Mexico.  I own Arizona I do not own Warspite.

Warspite's turrets are all about planning and managing your turns. It's a very rare battle where I have issues with the rotation speed.

That's funny, I would have said the exact opposite. Warspite gets chewed up by T8 BB's at all angles. 

That''s why when I get uptiered like that, I let the meatshields Bismarks and such go first, and concentrate on beating up cruisers and destroyers.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet