You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Bullpies322

HMS Hood

17 comments in this topic

[NAT0]
Members
48 posts
6,988 battles

I know that the Hood is coming out soon and have watched several reviews on its current form.  I have heard that its guns have a worse sigma value and lower penetration value than the Warspite.  Is this true?  If so, why would they make a ship a tier higher with weaker gun stats?  I enjoy the Warspite and hope that when the Hood is released that its guns perform at least as well.  

Alpha Tester
5,281 posts
12,191 battles

In most cases, the higher tier ship would have other traits that compensate for the worse guns, say armour, speed and torps.

Problem is, the historical ship, which is what they put in to testing, is a tier 6 ship at best, but I guess they want to force tier 7 to try and increase matches of it vs Bismarck. When the problem is the British even knew that once the Colorado and Nagato came out, her armour protection that was good enough for Jutland was no longer a match, and were aware that she was susceptible to plunging fire and dive bomb attacks. And that is pretty well demonstrated so far in game. Her AA isn't even tier 6, it's maybe tier 5. They removed her torpedoes for some reason (she had 2 twin launchers above the water, one per side). Her guns are  a lower caliber like German BB's at that tier, at 6 more on the money matching Bayern's. Pretty sure at 6 she'd be king of speed vs pretty much anything not a DD, maybe a couple cruisers, but at 7 a lot of ships are 30+ knots or close to it. But yeah, no one has any idea what Wargaming was thinking trying to put that at tier 7.

• Cool 1

Members
12,682 posts
14,320 battles

Based on her historical info and performance Hood will be great vs cruisers and some Battleships, but more powerful classes of Battleships will kill Hood.

Members
739 posts
7,780 battles

I know that the Hood is coming out soon and have watched several reviews on its current form.  I have heard that its guns have a worse sigma value and lower penetration value than the Warspite.  Is this true?  If so, why would they make a ship a tier higher with weaker gun stats?  I enjoy the Warspite and hope that when the Hood is released that its guns perform at least as well.  

Cause it's damn near 50% faster. not too different from the tier 6 and 7 in the german BB line, you lose 2 guns when you hit the Gneis.

[GWG]
Members
8,018 posts
15,878 battles

The Hood fired torpedoes at the Prinz Eugan shortly before she blew up.

The German formation had to take evasive action to avoid them.

This information was not known until AFTER the war was over.

By then, the Hood along with the war was old news that everyone wanted to forget.

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/123485-will-the-hood-have-torpedoes/page__fromsearch__1

Beta Testers
2,327 posts
3,235 battles

Just my two cents of speculation, but the Hood was never modernized like the Warspite (it was planned but WWII). The Warspite has more modern firecontrol which could account for the sigma, and I thought that the QEs were all able to use a super-charge of extra powder for more velocity from the short 42 length barrels which would account for the extra penetration (and even the sigma as well). 

In-game it appears the Hood does not have these upgrades?

Members
2,136 posts
5,764 battles

Her guns are  a lower caliber like German BB's at that tier, at 6 more on the money matching Bayern's.

Actually, Hood's guns are 1mm (381mm vs 380mm) larger than the German ones

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
108 posts
4,770 battles

I hope the Hood will be that end reward ship for the upcoming "Hunt the Bismarck" campaign. It's such a legendary ship and it would be very fitting if it does end up as a reward ship.

• Cool 2

Alpha Tester
5,281 posts
12,191 battles

Actually, Hood's guns are 1mm (381mm vs 380mm) larger than the German ones

I said "Lower caliber like", least in this instance, because they are lower generally than other ships, especially at tier 7. Your also talking about 1 mm. .03 inches, a difference of .00263 (rounded) percent and to which both are classified as 15 inch guns, they don't classify the German one as a 14.96 inch gun. Even if I was being detailed like that, the difference is negligible and fails to change my point, she's under gunned for the tier, maybe not as bad as Gnei, but given it's drawbacks to it's guns beyond that act as well, it just adds to reasons it should just be a tier 6.

[HINON]
Members
7,656 posts
9,539 battles

I hope the Hood will be that end reward ship for the upcoming "Hunt the Bismarck" campaign. It's such a legendary ship and it would be very fitting if it does end up as a reward ship.

The end reward is a free Bismarck with port slot and captain and second end reward is the "sunken Bismarck camo" for collecting all the crests. Not to mention that each mission has 1 task that can only be completed by using Hood. How are you going to use the Hood to complete those tasks if you didn't earn her until you've completed the campaign?

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
9,312 posts
18,907 battles

Lower penetration is relatively fair given the older shells, though flight times are the same so... 

Lower sigma is IMO complete and utter rubbish on several counts - 

1. Differences in FCS shouldn't matter, the player is the FCS - the FCS works out where to aim and the range to the target, sigma/dispersion is down to how accurate the guns are, how well the shells fly, ballistics, gun interference, etc.
  2. Sigma is completely 'soft' and set by WG - that's why Kongo-Fuso-Nagato-Amagi goes 1.8-1.5-2.0-1.8 and why Alabama and North Carolina (should be identical) are different. WG also just changed Kaiser from 2.0 to 1.8 for reasons entirely about balance
  3. T7 BB's of the traditional type (i.e. not turtleback 350mm, 31kt torpedo-armed brawlers) should get 2.0 sigma as ohterwise just going up in caliber but losing barrels isn't worth it

Otherwise the general point that a ship can have inferior guns but be a tier higher if it gets improvements in other areas is valid. Hood has HP and 32kts as advantages over Warspite. Hood does also get 3'/s instead of 2.5'/s traverse on those guns and now rumors of better autbounce angles and different fuse timers. 

When the problem is the British even knew that once the Colorado and Nagato came out, her armour protection that was good enough for Jutland was no longer a match, and were aware that she was susceptible to plunging fire and dive bomb attacks. And that is pretty well demonstrated so far in game. Her AA isn't even tier 6, it's maybe tier 5. They removed her torpedoes for some reason (she had 2 twin launchers above the water, one per side). Her guns are  a lower caliber like German BB's at that tier, at 6 more on the money matching Bayern's. Pretty sure at 6 she'd be king of speed vs pretty much anything not a DD, maybe a couple cruisers, but at 7 a lot of ships are 30+ knots or close to it. But yeah, no one has any idea what Wargaming was thinking trying to put that at tier 7.

• Hood was still pretty useful because speed does have a purpose and having 11kts on Colorado and 7kts on Nagato is pretty useful both strategically and tactically as a 'fast wing' Hood overall would still be able to go up against a majority of the worlds capital ships in the 1920's and 1930's with every chance, plus being one of 3 RN ships which could run down a Panzershiffe and outgun her
  • In game there is no plunging fire and 51mm autobounces even Yamato shells at the impact angles we get in-game
  • Hood has relatively OK AA on face value, it's just her length and maneuverability (the maneuverability WG could do something about) which suffer

Hood - 50 DPS @ 1.5km, 59 DPS @ 2.5km, 65 DPS @ 5km - total 174 DPS 

Warspite - 46 DPS @ 2km, 79 DPS @ 2.5km, 37 DPS @ 5km - total 162 DPS

Warspite has among the best AA at T6 for BB's - though not a hugely competitive field. Critically as I see it Hood gets nearly twice the long range (best at shooting down planes before they drop, covering friends and benefits from MFCAA) aura of Warspite. She would have excellent T6 AA even ignoring however they end up implementing UP launchers. Nothing like T5 standard AA, unless you have to be Texas. 

Apparently WG still can't implement totally fixed torpedo tubes which Hood was equipped with, above or below water. I doubt their utility in game. 

Overall I'm somewhat reassured by some of the CC videos out there - Hood is surprisingly tanky  with thick upper deck armor by game standards, with the 'German' style scheme of plates all over the place to assist, a low citadel and apparently effective scheme. She's been given 32kt which is a big grace over 28kt which could have been justified. 

All she needs is slightly more hitting power which can be achieved with 2.0 sigma as should be standard for ships of her type (i.e. 8-gunned T7's vs. 12-gunned T6's), a 28s reload and perhaps further messing about with autobounce angles. 

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
4,023 posts
5,027 battles

The end reward is a free Bismarck with port slot and captain and second end reward is the "sunken Bismarck camo" for collecting all the crests. Not to mention that each mission has 1 task that can only be completed by using Hood. How are you going to use the Hood to complete those tasks if you didn't earn her until you've completed the campaign?

Fortunately, you can complete tasks multiple times for pin rewards, and skip the Hood-requisite ones.
Edited by Carrier_Lexington

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
108 posts
4,770 battles

Quite sad they don't have the Hood as the reward ship as well.. You earn all these epic camo's for her but it won't matter unless you actually buy the ship :(

[TORP]
[TORP]
Members
290 posts
40,698 battles

Wonder if there will be a way to earn the Hood like we could the Graf Spee before the Santa Convoys were finished so that we could get a free hood and participate in Sink the Bismarck.  A ship I ground to just before ranked this season.

[HINON]
Members
7,656 posts
9,539 battles

Wonder if there will be a way to earn the Hood like we could the Graf Spee before the Santa Convoys were finished so that we could get a free hood and participate in Sink the Bismarck.  A ship I ground to just before ranked this season.

Doughtful, Hoods testing is slated to finish(assuming no issues) when the patch goes live that includes the campaign. So they would need to have put a campaign up to earn her already. So no go for that one. And the Bismarck campaign is also only going to be 3 weeks long. It's not permanent.

Members
4,203 posts

I agree but I also hope we will able to buy her, with my job I do not get a chance to play as much.

[TMP]
Members
406 posts

The more I look at the Hood, it's really looking like a tier 6. The tester was way too armored compared to real thing, I saw a tester getting hit repeatedly by 7 ships at once, on fire and everything, and it "limped" away at 32 knots with only half damage.

This ship was a looker when is was launched, it was a fast battlecruiser with decent cannons. The admiralty knew it was a one off at trials, maybe even while under construction. The center deck of the Hood had two rather huge issues. Because of the design the center deck was a large target for high explosive shells, there were lots of things to set fire to. This deck was lightly armored too considering the expanse, it's probability of been hit there in battle was high. The admiralty knew this and drew up plans in 1939 to fix this (as well as other things) with the addition of armor. The second issue with the boat deck was that the structure below was under considerable stress because the main guns were situated so far apart at either ends of the ship (you could fit a Pensacola between the main guns they were so far apart). There were attempts when it was being built to remedy the issue with armor plates in the vicinity connected in a way that aided the strengthening of the structure. The admiralty worried that hits to the center would cause the structure to fail, possibly splitting the ship in two. The 1939 plans included a re-structure of that zone, which would have been done in concert with the removal/replace of it's boilers and engines. The plan would have reworked the entire raised deck and superstructure, and would have resembled the Warspite/Renown/Repulse lines.