You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Vaporisor

Another detonation thread? Lets talk tech cause I gave em out today and it bothered me?

20 comments in this topic

Members
887 posts
1,625 battles

Prequel Edit:  I notice most detonations at high HP, I cannot think I have ever seen an almost dead or heavy damage ship detonated....  Have you?  Leave answers now ^.^

Hiya all.  First off, I want to stress that this is not a rant of detonations.  I am wondering about the tech and if there is flaws or what went on today.  Was it RNG or is there something else.  I feel detonations when they get their visual update will be an interesting part of play if they follow the mechanics described and are a rare event or when a ship is damaged.  So the "This is not a rant" out of the way, on with story time.

I didn't have a whole bunch of battles, and have been building up the french cruiser line.  With the speed and my play style, I like to push up a bit.  So twice now, I first spotted the lead DDs, I fired one volley.  One shell hits.... devastating strike, first blood, detonation up into chat.  Remember, no once, but twice this happened tonight the exact same way.  I legit felt bad cause is one thing to be caught off guard by a forward CV, another to just instant die....

So the mechanics.  From what I have read, detonation isn't just pure RNG.  There are magazine sections of ships that have a chance that increase with damage.  So I was using HE, was it just solid penetration, hitting the correct spot twice and played the odds? My bigger concern is that something is bugged or out of balance recently either with the Duguay/det mechanics that let me do this.  I don't want this to be a rant thread, but I do remember a clansmate talking about having a DD detonated even with the det flag on some time ago, happened twice.  

Has anybody else found themselves either giving or receiving an abnormal level of detonations?  Again, I feel detonations are fine as rare or when a ship has taken a lot of damage to the critical areas, but it just felt... odd to me and if there is a bug, perhaps a legitimate survey of people's experiences could get it looked at.

Edit:

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/124280-another-detonation-thread-lets-talk-tech-cause-i-gave-em-out-today-and-it-bothered-me/page__pid__3000995#entry3000995

Been on the receiving end of that situation (2 games, 2 detonations in a DD from the first shell). Determined that HE shells just under the screws maxes out the magazine damage each time.

Very interesting...

Edited by Vaporisor

[D-DAY]
Members
7,602 posts

Nope, about a week ago I was counting how many devastating strikes/detonations I'd had.

In 50 games I'd had 7 dev strikes and one detonation. Considering I didn't die all the time this works out at a 28% rate for devastating strikes, which seems high.

Then again I am a DD so WG will probably say working as intended lol. :P

Members
887 posts
1,625 battles

Nope, about a week ago I was counting how many devastating strikes/detonations I'd had.

In 50 games I'd had 7 dev strikes and one detonation. Considering I didn't die all the time this works out at a 28% rate for devastating strikes, which seems high.

Then again I am a DD so WG will probably say working as intended lol. :P

Well, Devastating strike isn't abnormal, that has more specific and clear requirements :-)

Members
289 posts
756 battles

Been on the receiving end of that situation (2 games, 2 detonations in a DD from the first shell). Determined that HE shells just under the screws maxes out the magazine damage each time.

Members
887 posts
1,625 battles

Definitely worth looking into.  If it is testable and replicateable, it should be worth looking into.

View PostPigeon_of_War, on 03 January 2017 - 04:51 PM, said:

Lots of players on the forums like to demand that detonations go away. Lots players on the forums would like to see them stay. 

Well, since detonations are not going anywhere anytime soon (though they may get a rather, we'll say large visibility improvement), I have been told I am allowed to reveal how they work, though many figured it out a while ago, it's nice to have more official information. 

So here are the details: 

- Each ship (battleship, destroyer or cruiser) has magazine modules. Each time the module receives damage, detonation chance is calculated. 

- The chance of detonation increases with damage taken to the magazine modules. Magazine modules are similar to other internal modules like engines - it has some protection and can be damaged with direct AP hit or close HE/Torpedo explosion (splash damage). 

- When a magazine loses all of its hit-points, the chance of detonation increases to its maximum value (however, it is still not 100%). The relation between magazine hit-points and explosion chance is set for each ship individually.

Flags and Modules can reduce your detonation chance. Examples include:

- The signal flag Juliet Charlie reduces the chance to 0% in all scenarios.
- The equipment Magazine Mod.1 gives it 0.3 multiplier.

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/110510-how-detonations-work/page__pid__2692093#entry2692093

So I wonder what the number is.  I ponder if what is happening is an error caused by the 100% hp rating or whether the detonation check is before or after the impact.  If after, I wonder if there is a chance that it is creating an negative value or something similar.  It is not without precedence.  I was in a game past where a combination of checks did result in an error number, the error caused the check to math out as essentially an infinite chance of occuring.  Perhaps it could be if the damage matches exactly.

From numerous posts on forums, my clansmate's statement and these experiences now, there definitely is something.  It quite probably could have been luck of probability, but dang.... that is worse than a citadeling.  Doing more damage than the shell is capable of!  Or perhaps destroyers just have a high detonation chance.  Just seems odd that it seems to happen more when at full HP vs damaged.  Thinking, most detonations I see are at high HP, is rare I have.... maybe never... I have seen detonation at heavy damaged status.

May I ask, do you remember which hull you were using?

Edited by Vaporisor

Members
1,947 posts
8,913 battles

A substantial number of detonations I've seen have been on torp volleys that would have killed the ship anyway. Sometimes they happen on pristine ships, but it's kinda random.

Not how it works. The detonation mechanics have been described, the only thing you are saying is that counts as a magazine hit. Which causes a roll on the detonation chance. No different than a roll that hit somewhere else.

Members
546 posts

The first week after the last two patches I had more.  Then, it stops.  Fluke or not, I had more both times.

Edited by nhf

Alpha Tester
1,375 posts
14,330 battles

I've been "Hooded" at all sorts of hp in 3 of the 4 ships classes (CVs can't det yet) and I'm perfectly fine with it since last time I looked out of my 4k games I've been "Hooded" less than. 40 times

Members
739 posts
7,780 battles

Prequel Edit:  I notice most detonations at high HP, I cannot think I have ever seen an almost dead or heavy damage ship detonated....  Have you?  Leave answers now ^.^

Many Many times actually. Matter of fact most of the dets I dish out seem to be below 15% hp when it happens.

[NATO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,640 posts
10,318 battles

DD's shouldnt detonate from AP/HE rounds. Unlike BB's, DD's ammo is more like a bullet and they are extremely tough when struck, unless something hits the primer at the bottom of the shell casing very sharply it is highly unlikely to go off. Even if it did, it wont likely set off a magazine detonation like Hood or Barham.  BB's (not German, which still used metal/brass casings) used silk powder bags which would be far more likely to detonate, US used a fairly stable explosive while the UK used cordite which was NOT, not sure what the IJN used but their BB's suffered magazine detonations a lot when they rolled over.

Most cruisers, but not all, also used silk bags.

Members
2,335 posts
6,897 battles

I was detonated in a Cleveland on Saturday with 290 HP left so you might be wrong.:look:

[-K--]
Members
663 posts
7,529 battles

I got detonated with 4K hp in my Fletcher this weekend. Not even mad...free flags! 

Edit: I'd like to point out...ranked is coming up. Start stocking up on flags.

Edited by mmfullen

Members
5,597 posts
7,121 battles

I don't particularly care for that mechanic.

Nothing worse than DD 1v1 and I detonate the enemy. I don't want to win like that.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
8,775 posts

Nothing worse than DD 1v1 and I detonate the enemy. I don't want to win like that.

I don't want to win or lose like that.
  • Cool 1

Members
707 posts
4,742 battles

I took a torpedo amidships yesterday in my Kamikaze that detonated me, although it would have sunk me anyways as I was at half health. I actually had not been detonated in a very, very long time until this most recent patch where I've had three. I lost my Gneisenau last week to a torpedo on the nose from full health, which was a first for that boat.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
2,632 posts
6,436 battles

Got detonated in my Warspite last week with 4 HP left as I was burning out..  thanked the player for giviong me the flags for the kill as a bonus :)

M

Members
2,263 posts
13,901 battles

I don't want to win or lose like that.

Indeed, agreed.

@OP, not knowing your playstyle etc, but perhaps being in the French cruisers you were engaging DDs more often than normal (especially this past weekend where at that tier level it seemed there was always 4-6 DDs per team.   DDs have a much higher chance of detonating due to the mechanics, so if you fight DDs more often you will cause detonations more often.

*shrug*

Members
887 posts
1,625 battles

Thandks for the feedbacks.  In my whole time playing I had maybe been detonated twice so never thought much of it, same for detonating others.  It felt such an oddity that was curious of others experiences.  It could be that only the full hp detonations are what I remember in terms of observing others in a battle due to it coming up in chats.