You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
dseehafer

Arguments for a historically accurate superstructure on Konig's A hull

13 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

Greetings all,

as the title suggests, today I shall be making a case for the implementation of a historically accurate superstructure(s) on the battleship Konig's A hull.

Argument 1: You're already half way there

The actual hull body of the Konig's A hull is already historically accurate as it has a dreadnought bow instead of the Atlantic bow that is featured on the B and C hulls. Even the turrets are historically accurate as they lack the rangefinder ears that the some of the turrets on the C hull have. The funnels need only to lose their funnel caps and they'll be good to go as well.

Argument 2: You've done this sort of thing before

Back when the Admiral Hipper was first released all of her hulls were copies of her as-built A hull with extra AA mounts added on for the B and C hulls. Several months after the release of the German cruiser line, you finally implemented the Atlantic bow, closed bridge, and funnel cap that should have, realistically, been on the B and C hull all along.

Argument 3: Insignificant balance changes

A historical A hull superstructure would come with 4 extra 88mm secondary casemate guns (3 to a side just below and behind the B turret barbette mounted on the superstructure itself), however, it would lose the two turreted dual purpose 88mm guns that are currently on the forward superstructure in-game. So, although you gain a slight secondary advantage you lose 1/3 of your AA firepower. Even still, the A hull will still be completely undesirable when compared to the extra AA guns and hitpoints of the later hulls and many will free-xp past the A hull anyways... that is to say that these minor changes to her secondary and AA firepower will not be noticeable in the ship's overall worldwide statistics as the majority of the grind will be spent in later hulls and those who do decide to keep the ship will almost certainly stick with the C hull.

Argument 4: If done, there would be a historically accurate hull for every German BB in-game that actually existed

So far, Konig is the only historical German BB class that does not have a historically accurate hull represented in the game. Both of Nassau's hulls are historically accurate,  Konig Albert is a historically accurate representation of the Kaiser class, Bayern's A hull is historically accurate, Scharnhorst is a historically accurate representation of the Scharnhorst class, and Bismarck's A hull is historically accurate. Konig is the only German BB class in-game that does not have a historically accurate hull or premium sister. 

Argument 5: If not as Konig's A hull, as a historically accurate Konig class premium ship

Hey Wargaming, wanna make some money?? Apply these changes to the already existing model, downtier to tier 4 (just like you downtiered Konig Albert to tier 3) and sell this historically accurate Konig class premium as... say... the Markgraf! Everybody's happy... you get to stuff your wallets, and us history buffs get a historically accurate Konig class premium!

Argument 6: The historical superstructure really doesn't look that difficult to model.

It's much less "elaborate" than the current Konig superstructure (which is shared will all Konig hulls). 

Here's the superstructures in-game...

0AmbcJO.jpg

The lower part needs no changing whatsoever, you even have the slits for the 3 casemate 88s already modeled, you just need to fill them with the 88s!

As for the historical superstructure...

KlmhpCH.png

UeRjaMv.png

378fea92_zpse311b442.jpg

Looks like you'd just need to remodel the upper bridge (attached to the forward funnel) and replace the tube mast with a normal pole mast. The rear superstructure just needs some "slimming" it looks like as it already has a pole mast. Then, just remove the funnel caps, as previously discussed, and BAM you're done! Edit: Oh, and also replace her modern boat cranes with the older ones already modeled on the Konig Albert.

Well, whattaya say? Pleeeeeeasse?:child:

Edited by dseehafer
  • Cool 10

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles

I say;

olP4XP1.gif

Honestly, yes, I agree. I'd like to see this in game. Pretty please WG? o3o

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

I say;

-snip-

Hooray! Chuck Norris approved! It's bound to happen now! :P

In all seriousness, thank you for your input Kitsune! I really don't see what WG has to lose here, especially if they do sell it as a premium.

Edited by dseehafer

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

WG doesn't seem to like anything that doesn't have double-digit AA DPS values at T5 or above when it comes to BBs.  Hardly surprising when you consider how easily Arkansas Beta gets dumped on by CVs, but that's probably why they didn't stick with the stock hull.  That and removing the WWI-era stock shells (at least for the IJN and USN - didn't seem to be that way for the Germans).

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

WG doesn't seem to like anything that doesn't have double-digit AA DPS values at T5 or above when it comes to BBs.  Hardly surprising when you consider how easily Arkansas Beta gets dumped on by CVs, but that's probably why they didn't stick with the stock hull.  That and removing the WWI-era stock shells (at least for the IJN and USN - didn't seem to be that way for the Germans).

I suppose that's a fair point. Though, a tier 4 premium still isn't out of the question.

Really, I just want the historical pole mast and bridge structures, the two 88mm turrets can stay there if they have to, I'll put up with 'em. ;)

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

I suppose that's a fair point. Though, a tier 4 premium still isn't out of the question.

We don't need another Nikolai.  Konig performs well-enough at T5 as it is - virtually nothing that currently makes her good will change if she's given the Konig Albert treatment, especially not after her sigma got nerfed to the standard 1.8.

Edited by TenguBlade

[KAPPA]
Members
2,009 posts
10,560 battles

I could go for having the original configuration in game, either as the stock hull or a premium. I kind of liked how they ended up treating the stock Nagato and hope that Fuso and Kongo get similar treatment at some point. I think there were more than a few people that liked the looks of the 'as built' configurations, even if they didn't like how they played at the time. I kind of fall into that camp, and always thought the only thing keeping stock Fuso down was her terrible gun range, other than that, she would have been ok considering how few CVs we see. I hope that the Ashitaka, the former stock hull of Amagi gets introduced sometime in the near future. I will say that despite having had some fond memories of the stock hull of Amagi, she had no business being in tier 8 battles with no effective AA. An amusing note about my adventures in stock Amagi, my very first battle with her was a tier 10 match (thank RNGeesus, MM, and any other forces of luck there was no CV), and I did ok despite mostly fending off higher tier destroyers with her while everyone else was pushing the front. I managed to put up a good defense despite my lack of range, armor, or experience in the ship. She grew up to be one of my favorites and I plan to keep her for as long as I play this game (I do already have all the IJN BBs except Kawachi anyway). I will say though, I've never quite understood why Nikolai is considered OP, I don't have one, but have never really had that much trouble fighting them. I suppose that people that rely on HE and fires could have some trouble, but I've never had too much issue with using AP and torps against her, depending on what I'm driving. 

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,538 posts
12,810 battles

I'd like to see this as well.  I don't mind having a non-historical refit as the top hull.  It bothers me a lot that a historical ship doesn't exist in anything close to historical form.

[HINON]
Members
7,797 posts
2,144 battles

I'd like to see this as well.  I don't mind having a non-historical refit as the top hull.  It bothers me a lot that a historical ship doesn't exist in anything close to historical form.

^this

[HINON]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
2,632 posts
6,436 battles

+1 from me, oh and a premium camo with the second funnel in red please as a Jutland thing since they actually fought at Jutland  :)

M

[GC]
Beta Testers
206 posts
5,193 battles

I say;

olP4XP1.gif

I agree, +1 yes please! However, one of the reasons they may not have done it is balance, looking at the historical pictures you've provided it appears that such historical modeling would include a further six secondary barbets (three per side), she's already a beast. I'd like to see it, but just saying. 

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

We don't need another Nikolai.  Konig performs well-enough at T5 as it is - virtually nothing that currently makes her good will change if she's given the Konig Albert treatment, especially not after her sigma got nerfed to the standard 1.8.

Except Konig Albert is arguably superior to Nassau in most ways... a premium tier 4 Konig would be slower than the Kaiser, have much worse AA (it's practically non-existant), have some 6,000 fewer hitpoints, and probably worse firing range as well. In return, she can fire all 10 guns at better arcs than Kaiser can and also has 2 more 88mm secondary guns. Both have comparable armor schemes.

TLDR: A premium tier 4 Konig would be much better balanced against the Kaiser than the Konig Albert is against the Nassau.

Members
784 posts
62 battles

Y E S !!!!

Please a historical KÖNIG!!!! A "Kronprinz" maybe - either as T4 premium, stock boat but preferably T5 premium with access to the module that either gives additional range or reload (is it the T9 module?). This will make up for non-existent AA and relatively bad shells (Albert shells).

Gib please.

[TWICE]
Members
265 posts
7,598 battles

I guess it would be nice to see the accurate hulls for stock ships. Wat woundt be nice is to drop such a Thing as a t4 premium without heavy nerfs. I got the König Albert, when she(he/it?) was on sale and ist hillarius how op she is at this Tier.

Members
784 posts
62 battles

I guess it would be nice to see the accurate hulls for stock ships. Wat woundt be nice is to drop such a Thing as a t4 premium without heavy nerfs. I got the König Albert, when she(he/it?) was on sale and ist hillarius how op she is at this Tier.

She :-)

Konig Albert is a T4 - no doubt. I love the ship because of her looks but she is at the wrong tier.

That is why I would prefer the Arkansas treatment for König at T5 so ppl who are ok to sail without AA (or team play...) can enjoy this beautiful ship at T5 where she belongs. Don't even think the shells are s problem. Damage wise for sure not and pen isn't an issue either at point blank range.