You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
NoZoupForYou

What is Your Favorite Ship and Why? (And win a Piece of USS NJ)

100 comments in this topic

Members
1,695 posts
9,087 battles

Ok Guys... I am closing in on 10,000 Subscribers.  As a thanks to this amazing community, I am giving back.  I'll be giving away 7 ships (1 T8, 1 T6, 5 T3s) to 7 lucky winners.  Entry details in the video and link on this post.  In addition to that, I am giving away something to the NA forums only.  It is a small token of my appreciation.  I have a piece of the original teak decking of the USS NJ with cert of authenticity., which I picked up while visiting the ship (as seen in the video).  For a chance to win, all you have to do is tell us what your favorite ship is in the game and why.  Make it moving.  I'll select one post to win the NJ Deck.

Once again guys and gals, thank you for all of your wonderful support the past few years.  There is a reason I have stuck around this game and community.

https://gleam.io/vqJ7F/world-of-warships-10k-giveaway

• Cool 8

[SWOB]
[SWOB]
Alpha Tester
1,147 posts
6,651 battles

Right on man!  It's cool to see people doing stuff like this for the community!  Good luck with your next 10k subs!

Members
840 posts
10,865 battles

Congrats on that many subs and good luck to all participants!

Favorite ship right now would be the Fiji.  It handles well, can put out punishment, has a great tool set for a variety of situations.  It's a pure hunter.

Edited by Sock5

[HINON]
[HINON]
Wiki Lead, Beta Testers, Privateers
6,801 posts
5,248 battles

The USS Enterprise (CV-6). It is due to the fact that she and her crew carried the war on their flight deck/shoulders. She a was a ship that took on everything the Japanese could throw at her and she kept on fighting. William "Bull" Halsey spearheaded the movement to make her a museum which, no other ship deserved the honor more, but it ultimately failed. 

Truly the war is represented by three ships, the USS Arizona (the beginning), Enterprise (the war itself), and USS Missouri (the end of the war). 

No other ship in US history has matched her service record, she even has the honor of being awarded the British Admirality Pendent, which she is the first and only non-British ship to receive.

USS Enterprise, she represents the courage, honor, valor, and commitment to duty that the sailors aboard her had.

And she lives on, USS Enterprise (CVN-65) was the world's first nuclear powered aircraft carrier. The upcoming USS Enterprise (CVN-80) will be the newest and most advanced carrier yet built. "There will always be an Enterprise" -James T. Kirk, Star Trek.

Enterprise is more than just a name, it is a legacy that stretches from the beginning of our nation, through the deadliest and most bloody war in history, and she came out on top.

I hope I was able to convey my personal love for this ship, and the men that served aboard her.

Fair winds and following seas captains. :honoring:

• Cool 3

[OBS]
Members
1,277 posts
12,019 battles

Well, no moving stories here I'm afraid but if I were to pick one just on it's sheer power and pluck, it would be the Arizona.  Love having that main battery sigma, it really feels like it does what a battleship is supposed to do.  Really gives the middle finger right back to MM as well; many times I've been top score in a bottom tier match with this ship.  Recall one such match where I was running with a Gneisenau (he ran with me due to the speed issues) in a T8 match when we encountered head-on a NC and a NM.  Wouldn't you know my buddy the GN had a use for me in mind, as he immediately dropped back and allowed me to tank all the damage from both of them.  But, Arizona, so it worked out I survived they both went down and....top score in a T8 match.  This ship really pulls through, 30K+ out of the side of a cocky Nagato, not a problem here, back to port bud.

[-N-]
Members
2,288 posts
15,955 battles

My all time favorite ship from WW2 is the Missouri, fact that I can play that ship here in WoWs is a bonus.  I am a avid fan of WW2 History especially the Pacific Theater, though some thought goes to the War in Europe because I am an aviation fan too and the B24 Liberator was actually built about 20 minutes from where I live at what was then the Ford Willow Run plant at Willow Run Airport.  I visited Hawaii in May 2008 as my birthday present to myself.  One of my journeys took me to Pearl Harbor in Honolulu and a visit to the Missouri, while I am in a wheelchair and could not visit as much of the ship itself as I would have liked to I was able to roll around her decks, see the signed surrender document and take in all the wonder that is this Great Ship from our history.  For those who do not know this tidbit, The Missouri is Anchored facing the the sunken USS Arizona, and stands constant watch over the sunken ship and the crew interned in her so they may rest in piece.  Getting up on her deck they used a special cage. I was put in wheelchair and all and lifted up by a forklift of all things.  The men who have served on her are there to greet you and answer any questions you might have.  Seeing those main guns up an close gives you a new perspective on just how big they are.  The Mighty Mo (which this nickname is missing from the Wiki WoWs needs to fix that as this is the nickname the sailors at Pearl refer to he as) lives up to the nickname and more in my eyes.  This was something I had longed to do when I knew she had become a museum piece and now long for the day I get to go back.  I became enamored with the Missouri when I was a kid building models and belonged to a model building club and Missouri was one of my monthly models I got.  What people don't understand I think is that like all the Iowa class ships, her guns actually had a max range of 20 miles (32.2km) so what we see in game is really only two thirds of this ships main guns incredible range same goes for her real life secondary guns with a range of 10 miles.   She is a beautiful thing to behold if you ever get the chance to go to Hawaii, Pearl Harbor should be on your to do list to see this magnificent ship.  

Edited by gcangel82

Beta Testers
462 posts
6,275 battles

The Bismarck. 

We often forget in war that the enemy we are fighting are people too with families and love ones. 

Although the Axis powers did some unspeakable atrocities many of the solderers experienced fear and suffered not knowing the true reasons of the war. 

[OBS]
Members
1,277 posts
12,019 battles

Getting up on her deck they used a special cage. I was put in wheelchair and all and lifted up by a forklift of all things. 

A wheelchair in a cage on a forklift?  Quite the spectacle I'm sure ;-)  glad you got to see it.

[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
3,804 posts
6,762 battles

The Izyaslav, because even though people tell me I'm seal clubbing...In reality, I'm clubbing other clubbers.

[HINON]
Members
7,797 posts
2,144 battles

Guys, guys, I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but...

For a chance to win, all you have to do is tell us what your favorite ship is in the game and why.  Make it moving.  I'll select one post to win the NJ Deck.

Though I see no reason why one can't just talk about their favorite in history, just understand it's not part of the giveaway

Alpha Tester
937 posts
7,770 battles

Favorite in history from this period is obviously the Enterprise.  As our only carrier in the Pacific for six months and the greatest combat record of any ship except maybe the Victory, I think that its scrapping was a grand crime against the nation.

In game though I like any Cruiser.  Aside from Nurnberg there isn't one I don't enjoy playing.  

[PNGYN]
Members
493 posts
4,004 battles

Favorite ship? Of all time?

USS Laffey, hands down. While we don't have the exact ship in game, we have the Benson. Laffey was a Benson Class DD (In case you didn't know :P)

I have always admired this ship and her crew. Mainly for her actions during the First Naval Battle of Guadalcanal, although she also saw action at the Battle of Cape Esperance. 

During the Battle of Cape Esperance, she attacked the cruiser Aoba with a number of her 5-inch batteries. 

During the Naval Battle of Guadalcanal, she engaged the Japanese battleship Hiei at point blank range. The two missed colliding by mere feet. 

Unfortunately, Laffey was hit by a single 14-inch shell from Hiei that destroyed her bridge and No. 2 gun turret. As if the single shell was not enough, a torpedo found her and struck her fantail, putting her out of the action. 

She would later blow up, with the loss of 59 sailors. 

In game? Right now its the Pensacola or Gneisenau. Guns, torps (sorry Pepsi), and stealth, what more could you want?

Edited by Viper101

[RQL]
Beta Testers
718 posts
26,378 battles

Favorite ship - USS Texas (BB35).  

Iwo Jima, February 19, 1945 - D-Day - D Company, 2nd Bat, 28th Reg (D/2/28) - 5th Marine Division stormed ashore at Green Beach.  USS Texas provided covering fire for the Marines on Mt. Surabachi which allowed them to cross to the western beach cutting off Surabachi from the rest of the island that same day.  The USS Texas continued to fire "on call" missions for them until February 21.  When the Marines of the 28th turned north on March 1, they no longer had the direct fire mission call from the Texas.  My Uncle, PFC Milton Wayne Thompson was killed in action at Hill 362 that day,March 1st, 1945.  Awarded both the Silver Star and the Purple Heart posthumously, all the Marines I have had the benefit to meet and talk with attribute their continued survival to the direct support from the Navy's big guns.  The USS Texas departed from Iwo Jima on March 7th but remained in the memories of their brethren Marines for all the support provided.

If you are interested in the fire support missions on D-Day at Iwo Jima campaign, take a look at this link - http://www.allworldwars.com/image/056/IwoJimaNavalGunnery001.jpg

In addition to the USS Texas from our game, there was the Indianapolis, the North Carolina, the Pensacola, the Arkansas.  You can also see the rounds designated into their areas of fire.

Edited by bat1159man

[-YK-]
Members
493 posts
7,882 battles

I started WoWS as the typical NA noob, going up the USN BB line, not knowing what I was doing.  I went all the way to, and elited the North Carolina.  But my play was too aggressive for USN BB's, so I tried the German BB's instead of moving on to the Iowa.  I ground my way up to FDG, which I still play to get a daily bonus win per day, but I'm about as good with the Germans as I was with the USN BB's..  Then Christmas came around and the Graf Spee missions got me the Graf and a Leander with skin.

I started playing the Leander and Graf to make credits, being a poor non-premium player.  The Graf proved to be as difficult for me to do well in as BB's.  So the Leander got more and more play time.  Then season 6 ranked was announced, and I decided to go for broke and unlock the Fiji.  I learnt a lot from the Fiji in ranked. My stats with the Fiji, and now the Edinburgh seem to reflect that.

But I still go back and play the Leander.  I have many memorable moments in the Leander.  I've never been called out in chat so often as with that ship.  I've done some pretty insane torpedo beats and had CV's curse me on several occasions.  One memorable match, I faced a nearly full health Fiji who smoked up while I was down to about 1/3 health and down on points, so smoking up myself wasn't going to help anything.  I launched torps at the Fiji smoke then went bow on, taking salvo after salvo after salvo from the Fiji, bouncing shells and being whittled away bit by bit.  Then when the Fiji must have thought I was close to dying, I used my heal and kept ahead by sliver of health until my torpedos finally reached him and sunk him.  Chat roared to life with several comments and I was pretty pleased with myself too.  We won that match, one of the few times someone like me actually carried.

In another game, that we lost by a landslide, I pursued a New Mexico from a cap all the way to a corner.  He was full health when I started, I was mostly full health.  All I wanted to do was get in range to torp before I died, but it turned into a prolonged mouse chasing cat.  I wiggled for all I was worth, taking damage, healing but always closing the gap, as the NM slowly ran away.  I did eventually land one torpedo and aligned myself to keep on chasing, when he figured out he had HE rounds.  That was the beginning of the end for me, but the battle was not decided until he finally finished me off, it was that close.

The Leander is a monster for a cruiser.  So very versatile, I don't mind being bottom tier with her.  I didn't do well in her at first, as I ground her out and figured out her smoke and hydro.  After Ranked season 6, my Fiji experience only made my Leander play that much better.  I play a bit aggressively with her, and aim to be the bane of DD's and it pays off most of the time.  But I have no problem feeding damage off BB's and other cruisers.

The Leander is a great ship!

[HINON]
[HINON]
6,801 posts
5,248 battles

Guys, guys, I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but...

Though I see no reason why one can't just talk about their favorite in history, just understand it's not part of the giveaway

Yep, I realized that after I finished mine. I only read the title.

Anyway. The Aoba. She has given me several firsts in this game, and has always been good to me. She gave me my first Kraken twice (Once in CBT when the medal wasn't even a thing yet) and again on the live server. My first 100k damage game. My first T6, and first keeper ship. She also has my second highest number of battles (Just recently was passed by Scharnhorst which took the top spot.)

[BONKY]
Members
746 posts
15,580 battles

The New Mexico by a long shot. Can take a licking and keep on ticking, decent guns close and at range, great brawler, high possible fire chance when using HE and so much more. 

[OBS]
Members
1,277 posts
12,019 battles

Yep, I realized that after I finished mine. I only read the title.

Anyway. The Aoba. She has given me several firsts in this game, and has always been good to me. She gave me my first Kraken twice (Once in CBT when the medal wasn't even a thing yet) and again on the live server. My first 100k damage game. My first T6, and first keeper ship. She also has my second highest number of battles (Just recently was passed by Scharnhorst which took the top spot.)

And here I thought you were just confused and talking about your favorite player, instead...

[RCNW3]
Members
2,004 posts
27,016 battles

Missouri - During the 80s, for my 3rd class cruise was posted aboard the New Jersey - made quite the impression on an 18 year old.  Had firing exercises with the main guns several times, the power was amazing.  Was in Hawaii during the 75 anniversary of the Pearl Harbor attack and the next day took the family on a tour of the Missouri - with my experience on the New Jersey was able explain and give my real life experiences to the things we were seeing on board.  Had talked about it to my kids before, but having a real life sister ship to walk and touch made my stories much more real.  After that, knew I had to get the Missouri, hoarded fee experience, got the ship a few weeks ago and she has been great to me, about 80% win rate last time I checked.... every time I fire off the main batteries I can see in my mind the experiences of loading 16 inch rounds on the shell deck, into the hoists, loading the shells and powder bags into the guns, and experiencing the muzzle flash, noise and smoke ( and seeing the shell splash) while being a lookout.

Members
541 posts

I REALLY want to go see Big J (born, raised and still live in northern NJ) but it's in Camden and I, umm, don't want to go anywhere near that 3rd world hellhole. I'm gonna have to suck it up one of these days though.

[VANN]
[VANN]
Members
965 posts
6,475 battles

Congrats, Zoup! I have always enjoyed your reviews.  Coincidentally, I got to play with you this morning in my Fuso and we had a nice win.

While I am not yet a grizzled vet in this game, I think Fuso is my favorite ship so far.  For me, contributing to my team and winning games is why I like to play.  Fuso literally competes in every situation, no matter the team or the tier.  Sure, she can be spotted from space, doesn't love planes, and is fragile when broadside, but her guns hit hard and there are twelve of them.  Coming from WoT, it's not always possible to contribute in a meaningful way when you are low tier.  She's not at the most forgiving tier in WoWs, either, but Fuso can bring it against cruisers and destroyers when you are low on the totem pole and can crush anyone at her own tier or lower.  She exudes confidence for me when I take her out - who can ask for more than that?

Had a chance to tour the NJ in Long Beach, CA, back when I was in high school (many moons ago).  Great memories!  :honoring:

[HINON]
[HINON]
6,801 posts
5,248 battles

And here I thought you were just confused and talking about your favorite player, instead...

:sceptic:

[GWG]
Members
8,019 posts
15,941 battles

The Arizona has always been a favorite ship of mine, even as a child.

Obsolete and immediately destroyed at the beginning of it's only war, it's fighting ability was a mystery until it came to WOWS.

And even though I was 'historically' detonated by a Hiryu Bomber on only my second mission out (thanks for the flags), I found it to be a very scrappy fighter, earning me Krakens.

Question is:  Is it the ship, or is it me that makes it's play so well?

Answer:  The Arizona is the only ship in this game that I take seriously.  When I hit the Battle button on the Arizona, I suddenly turn grim and serious - like it matters.  Even in Co-Op, I straighten up and do my absolute best..  I think I owe it to the spirit of this ship.

Beta Testers
403 posts
17,129 battles

USS Alabama BB-60 has been my favorite ship for as long as I can remember. My grandfather a native of Alabama visited her more than a dozen times and I've been aboard her several times myself. Now that he is gone knowing his love of the ship named after his home state makes me love her all the more. I remember spending hours talking with him about the ship and things we saw aboard. Her timeless outline forever etched in my mind. I can't wait to take my own children (when I have them) to see this wonderful ship and share with them the history and spirit of the greatest generation that won a world war and built a world power. USS Alabama is more than just a ship to me she is part of my family. When I look at her I don't see just her outline I think of the wonderful memories of so many conversations as a kid and young adult with my grandfather about her. I remember my first visit at age 11 and how in awe I was of her size and every detail. I instantly knew why every time my grandpa visited family in Alabama (he lived in Florida) he would make sure to stop by the ship. I have been fortunate to be able to make the 6 hour journey several times to see her and I enjoy every second of it. For me this ship is incomparable. I've been aboard several of the Museum Warships USS Yorktown, USS Laffey, USS Clamagore, USCG Ingham, USS North Carolina, USS New Jersey, USS Drum, and SS American Victory but my favorite and closest to my heart will always be USS Alabama. It is Alabama that I have in a large framed print hanging on my wall. It is Alabama that since her release in World of Warships I find myself wanting to use and enjoying more than any ship in the history of the game. She is special to me and always will be. 

[REVY]
Members
9,709 posts
7,317 battles

My favorite ship is the Dunkerque.  The reason stemmed from the games I played before World of Warships.  In the naval battles of Napoleon Total War, Fall of the Samurai, and later Battlestations Pacific, I was always extremely frustrated that ships were could escape my wrath because I had to sail broadside to a target to utilize all my firepower.  The wooden ships of old were incredibly durable, and even though raking the stern could disable the cannons on a ship of the line, the ship itself would not sink, and could just sail away.  And those ships 104 gun ships only had 4 guns to the front, and could not chase other warships and get them to strike their colors in a reason amount of time.  In the age of ironclads, if one wanted to take one aprize, you'd avoid setting it on fire, or use AP shells that might risk striking the boiler, so you had to use old fashioned cannon balls, which gave the enemy the chance to retreat.  This frustration built up for years.  This continued in Battlestations Pacific where damage ships could retreat because I had to sail at an angle on them to get the rear guns into action.

Thankfully now with the Dunkerque, no more!  All the guns are in front, I can sail with confidence and chase down my prey.  Not having rear guns is a liberation of the mind, since I no longer have to account for them in battle allowing me to spend more time focused on my surroundings.  It seems to me, common sense that a Battlecruiser, whose duty is to chase down cruisers with her speed, should not have to turn away at an angle to get all the guns into action.