Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Soshi_Sone

Equipment Matters

17 comments in this topic

[CNO]
Members
7,450 posts
23,087 battles

No no no.  Not THAT equipment.  I'm talking about the gaming rig...or your PC, as case may be.

So, I've been running a ten year old machine.  Vista is no longer supported.  Couldn't just upgraded ten year old HW with new OS, so I got a low end gaming rig.  And said what the hell, and upgraded to a 27inch monitor to boot.

First big difference.  Load times of each match.  My ISP is the same.  So it's all on the PC hardware.  Before, I might jump in as much as 30 seconds late.  Not always late, but quite a few times.  Now, I"m twiddling my thumbs waiting for the countdown.  Not a big difference, but it is nice to be engaged as soon as the match starts.  Although I mainly play BB, I can see this as a pretty important attribute for a DD that can snatch a fast cap.

Second difference.  Visual in general.  Better resolution.  Bigger screen.  Faster fps.  The machine doesn't MAKE the man, but I do feel like I'm doing better.  And the better is directly related to the better interface environment provided directly as a result of my PC hardware.

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
1,221 posts
7,558 battles

Congratulations on the new rig! No better feeling in the world for a PC gamer than hitting the power button on a fresh build and not having the lights flicker. ;D

[CNO]
Members
7,450 posts
23,087 battles

:ohmy::angry::nerv_fish::unsure::(:red_button:

And....my new PC.....fails.  A pre-POST failure (no pun intended)...but only intermittent.  So my rig is off for repair, while I'm stuck in port.  

[YORHA]
Members
5,460 posts
12,101 battles

Intermittent pre-post failure means it is most likely processor or memory related.  Hopefully something is just a little loose.

Good luck.

Edited by JCC45

[CNO]
Members
7,450 posts
23,087 battles

Welcome to the 21st century. 

Where my TEN year old machine is still working flawlessly and my one day old machine fails.

Historically, my machines have lasted about five years before a hardware issue would put me in the mood to just get a new machine.  In this case, having ten years of success with the company I acquired from ten years ago, I bought from them again.   Sigh...right back to a five year failure...on average.  

Members
62 posts
2,490 battles

One upgrade I recommend anyone getting if they're gaming is upgrading their HDD to an SSD. The difference in boot-up (and for some games, loading) times is insane.

With my old laptop, it would take around 30 seconds to load a Wows match, usually leaving me with around 10 seconds before the match starts. Now with an SSD, I load into a match with 30+ seconds before the match starts. It has allowed me to admire my ships a little bit more before they sink :D

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,228 battles

i put together a 8core 16thread  machine using recycled part from servers and it rocks. 64gb of ram and gtx1050  gpu.     I use it for image processing most of the time, but works a treat for gaming. 

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles

i put together a 8core 16thread  machine using recycled part from servers and it rocks. 64gb of ram and gtx1050  gpu.     I use it for image processing most of the time, but works a treat for gaming. 

Lol you can probably play like 8 games at once!

[-RNG-]
Members
21 posts
10,200 battles

One upgrade I recommend anyone getting if they're gaming is upgrading their HDD to an SSD. The difference in boot-up (and for some games, loading) times is insane.

:D

THIS^^^  I get so tired of having to wait for half of the team to slowly load the game.   And for some reason the DD players seem to be the worst. 

[CNO]
Members
7,450 posts
23,087 battles

I had to acquire a new (different machine).  I took MikuMiku's suggestion and went with SSD; amazing loading 40 seconds BEFORE the game starts.  Not to mention how fast it loads in general.  Very impressive.  I also went with a more powerful graphics card.  Not top end, mind you (I too must watch my budget), but incrementally better than my "broken" machine and very capable for WOWS.  So I'm back in business...hopefully for quite a while.

It took me several games to get back into groove.  Just being out two weeks and I could feel the SA atrophy.

Now, I just gotta "kill" that windows key,  It was a problem before and it's still a major nuisance as my finger fumble usually occurs in the heat of battle...not the best time to have your game minimized to the task bar!!!

[PNP]
Beta Testers
886 posts
19,438 battles

I was running something similar till xmas before last and bought myself a gaming puter, it was wow what a difference, I kept getting killed because I was checking out how much better the graphic where and not watching the game play, congrats, enjoy

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,205 posts

Assign the windows key to function the same as the key you are actually wanting to depress. In that case it should act as the key you want - if you can map it. 

[ONE38]
Members
3,782 posts
14,818 battles

A few weeks ago, after a rash of connection problems (and numerous support calls filed), I insisted that the ISP come out and run new cable from my modem/router to the drop on the pole on the street. Some garbage workmanship by prior techs were found and eliminated. Connection problems no more.

On another note however, I've noticed some later than usual load-ins recently, even though the OS and game are on SSD.  

Edited by lemekillmister

[CNO]
Members
7,450 posts
23,087 battles

Assign the windows key to function the same as the key you are actually wanting to depress. In that case it should act as the key you want - if you can map it. 

My problem is I zoom with my pinky on the shift key.  If it's just a bit off, I can hit the win key too.  Can also happen with designating a target with cntrl.  

All is fine.  There is a registry fix, which I successfully applied.  

Kinda interesting this isn't doable with the OS without going through registry (or group policy).  Based on the hits I got when googling, it seems to be a common problem with gamers.

Sign in to follow this