You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
jjerryemery

RPF, how does it work?

7 comments in this topic

Members
40 posts
43,701 battles

I wasted 4 points on my myoko captain on this thing Radio Position Finder.  All I can see that it does is create a halo around the graticule.  If this thing is supposed to tell you the direction of the nearest enemy ship, how in the  hell does it "tell" you anything.  I always end up seeing enemy ships as I normally would, when everyone else sees them.

[ARMDA]
Members
9,004 posts
6,506 battles

If you're in a DD-killer ship, you can use it to find where the closest ship, AKA the DD, and go straight towards the halo and kill him.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
303 posts
1,529 battles

RPF will point you in the direction of the nearest enemy ship. But it doesn't spot the enemy, tell you how far away they are, or what the enemy ship actually is...

I've heard a story about a Fletcher chasing his RPF indicator around an island, expecting to find the enemy IJN DD... and instead finding a Zao at 6km. :P

[-OSG-]
Members
2,542 posts
16,579 battles

There is  circle around you of 360 degrees... RDF divides this into 16, 22.5° wedges. The RDF "arc" you see is centered on this 22.5° segment. At great distance this wedge is quite wide, and at a very close distance the wedge is very narrow. There is no distance info for RDF so the ship could be anywhere in the arc. In a close in situation, where a target is in smoke it can be useful for blind-firing.

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
23,310 battles

I've heard a story about a Fletcher chasing his RPF indicator around an island, expecting to find the enemy IJN DD... and instead finding a Zao at 6km.

THAT'S funny!

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

As you may have already realized, the skill isn't very useful on Myoko.

On the other hand, I find it highly useful on Fletcher and Belfast, which are excellent at hunting down DDs.

[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Members
375 posts
9,876 battles

The best ships to use this skill on are ships that contest caps. Particularly USN and IJN DDs. I particularly like it on my the IJN DDs that can fire torps undetected. I use to avoid being spotted. I have found RPF not worth the points for most other ships. I tired it on my Belfast but took it off as I found RPF was too situational.