You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
FloatingTankAce

Does Murmansk really need Expert Marksman?

11 comments in this topic

Members
89 posts
15,712 battles

So I just got Murmansk (it finally came up on sale again) and am seeing differing opinions on captain skills. I am most curious about expert marksman - does she really benefit? Seems like the turret traverse (she only has two anyway) is adequate so maybe Adrenalin rush would be better to get initially?

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

What else are you going to put for a T2 skill?  Adrenaline Rush is meaningless when the ship goes from full HP to sunk from two or three hits, High Alert is useless on a cruiser, likewise with JoAT (especially for a cruiser without radar), Murmansk's 8km torpedo range is the only reason those weapons are viable (so TA is worthless), she has no smoke, Expert Rear Gunner doesn't apply to spotter planes (they don't have one), and Last Stand isn't significantly important because despite her worthless armor her rudder and engines don't break very often.

• Cool 2

[BB22]
Members
196 posts
38,680 battles

Without EM you won't be able to keep your gun on target while you are turning, you will have too flatten out your turn to shoot.

Edited by CandyAzz

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
29,211 posts
15,770 battles

What else are you going to put for a T2 skill?  Adrenaline Rush is meaningless when the ship goes from full HP to sunk from two or three hits, High Alert is useless on a cruiser, likewise with JoAT (especially for a cruiser without radar), Murmansk's 8km torpedo range is the only reason those weapons are viable (so TA is worthless), she has no smoke, Expert Rear Gunner doesn't apply to spotter planes (they don't have one), and Last Stand isn't significantly important because despite her worthless armor her rudder and engines don't break very often.

Pretty much this, I go with Expert Marksman unless there is something else that really is more useful like Last Stand for DD's.

Without EM you won't be able to keep your gun on target while you are turning, you will have too flatten out your turn to shoot.

Once again this, when you get a new ship and untrained captain put him into any of the three Omaha's and take a spin in co-op. You will find that your guns will quickly become useless in a maneuvering battle.

[CK5]
Members
1,938 posts
23,601 battles

If anyone wants to stay alive in a Murmansk, then constant turning and dodging is the only option.  EM is essential to allow the Murmansk's guns to keep up with the turns.  

Members
89 posts
15,712 battles

Good points. I've only played less than 10 battles in her and didn't do very well. It's a new captain with only 2 points so far so I am not expecting miracles but I didn't seem to notice slow turret traverse but then again maybe I was not manoeuvring enough. I like the spotter plane but find you have to basically stay away in the back barely moving to safely use it and can't be zooming around the map.  I found ADR useful on my Cleveland so thought it might be better on the Murm than EM. 

Members
765 posts
2,849 battles

I disagree.  Adrenaline Rush is worth less, but still value added.  There are a lot of cruiser that have the Expert Marksman dilemma.  They can live without it.  All BBs and nearly all DDs need it.  With Cruisers, you should plan to install it, but, if, in the end you want another skill much more... thats what you should do.

[RLGN]
Members
19,167 posts
35,208 battles

Good points. I've only played less than 10 battles in her and didn't do very well. It's a new captain with only 2 points so far so I am not expecting miracles but I didn't seem to notice slow turret traverse but then again maybe I was not manoeuvring enough. I like the spotter plane but find you have to basically stay away in the back barely moving to safely use it and can't be zooming around the map.  I found ADR useful on my Cleveland so thought it might be better on the Murm than EM. 

It's the same on Marblehead, as well as Murmansk... If you're not swinging your tushy, your not doing it right, and EM helps keep the guns on.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
11,860 posts
30,566 battles

IMHO there are very few premium ships that require its own captain. Those nations like UK where there is only one DD and one BB (for now), the Atlanta, and the Nicolai. Just use your cruiser captain in the Murmansk (assuming you have Russian CAs). When grinding a captain I put anyone in them, have run carrier captains in BBs, DDs, and CAs to get the xp and the ships feel close enough for government work. I use my Leander captain to run my Campbeltown and Warspite just to grind xp.