You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
General_Strom

So after playing CVs a bit they BITE!

17 comments in this topic

[PRVTR]
Beta Testers
417 posts
4,897 battles

Bogue is worthless either I have to many fighters and NO damage or NO fighters and all my planes get shot down.  Let not forget ii is SLOWER then a snail in 50 feet of snow! I can see why there are not many CV players in the higher tiers as I too am about to give up on them.  Not having much better luck with the tier 5 Japanese CV either.  

[SCCC]
Members
3,181 posts
17,491 battles

Before the mirror MM changes, balanced Bogue (1/1/0) was best Bogue. I don't want to touch that ship now with mirror CV MM.

Members
2,688 posts
4,560 battles

Bogue is worthless either I have to many fighters and NO damage or NO fighters and all my planes get shot down.  Let not forget ii is SLOWER then a snail in 50 feet of snow! I can see why there are not many CV players in the higher tiers as I too am about to give up on them.  Not having much better luck with the tier 5 Japanese CV either.  

The Zuiho is actually a really good ship.  The problem is that you're almost always going to run up against AS Bogues and that can put a damper on things.  Learn to use that fighter to distract your opponent if it comes down to it and cross drop on your targets.  The important part about cross dropping is timing,  the second drop has to occur shortly after the first or your opponent is just going to hop scotch through them.

[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,885 posts
21,755 battles

once you get tier 6 CVs become WAY better. WG nerfed CVS a few patches ago to prevcent seaclubing and it really backfired!:sceptic:

If you ask me, they should have only removed manual torpedos for tier 4 and kept everything else for the CVS. also having no strafe ability until tier 6 is just stupid because tier 6 CVS can wreck tier 5 CVS with their Strafes!:fishpalm:

Edited by BladedPheonix

Members
739 posts
7,780 battles

Go strike, bait planes towards you, dodge torps like a baws get clear skies with no fighters and still do 80K dmg, that was the highlight game for the bogue in my case.

My opinion, play strike, because if you do run into an AS he's already handicapped, all he can really do is piss you off... Take your time, find an opening send everything and delete someone, rinse and repeat.

Now that there's no more strafe at t4-5 you should be able to work around the zui's fighters easily enough.

[PRVTR]
Beta Testers
417 posts
4,897 battles

Thanks for the info!  Is it better to have dive bombers run the bow to the back for attack from the side?

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
12,147 posts
9,111 battles

It gets better around T7...the first few tiers are pretty painful...especially in USN CVs.

That's kind of the opposite of my experience, I did well in the USN CVs until tier 7 running balanced and then ran into issues because the ranger does not put enough planes in the air with the balanced loadout and the other two are so limited. 

[BLNCE]
Members
2,293 posts
7,604 battles

Thanks for the info!  Is it better to have dive bombers run the bow to the back for attack from the side?

Dive bombers attack from the bow or stern. Autodrops are decent if the ship is turning- if the ship isn't turning you can get a wicked bomb hit though with a manual drop.

Torp bombers attempt to drop on the side. Always manual drop.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,947 battles

That's kind of the opposite of my experience, I did well in the USN CVs until tier 7 running balanced and then ran into issues because the ranger does not put enough planes in the air with the balanced loadout and the other two are so limited. 

Tier 7 also has to deal with Saipan, which many carrier captains have a hard time with. And Kaga, coming soon, will make tier 7 carriers even more difficult due to her huge hanger count.

Members
104 posts
1,186 battles

Try the 0/1/2 setup, don't launch planes immediately when battle starts, wait to see where enemy fighters go, and go opposite side, try to strike enemy CV off guard and let top squad go in first, wait for enemy CV to use his repair party before letting your 2 bombs go in and set him on fire, kills him most of the time. Then get support from friendly cruisers and BBs to shoot down enemy fighters.

[K0]
Members
1,758 posts
10,186 battles

Balanced Ranger is actually quite workable. Against other Rangers.

Anything else driven by a semi-competent captain will tear it apart.

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
12,147 posts
9,111 battles

Balanced Ranger is actually quite workable. Against other Rangers.

Anything else driven by a semi-competent captain will tear it apart.

The only fair fight for a range is vs another ranger. 

Alpha Tester
874 posts
5,544 battles

You want to attack down the center line of the ship approaching from either the front or rear.

The Ranger used to be a pretty good ship until WG started making all kinds of changes to CVs.  I really wanted to say it gets better at tier 9 and 10...but didn't want to discourage him too much.  Essex and Midway are really the only non-premium USN CVs that I find enjoyable because they can somewhat stand up to their IJN counterparts.  IJN still has the advantage but it doesn't seem as big there for me.