You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
General_Strom

Are British cruisers low damage dealers?

29 comments in this topic

[PRVTR]
Beta Testers
413 posts
4,704 battles

I am at the tier 5 ship and hit 26 times for 15k and that seems typical for me.  Is this a norm for British ships?   AP doesn't seem to damage much.

[HINON]
Members
2,640 posts
7,932 battles

depends on where you hit....  the Tier 5 Emerald is mediocre to poor at everything, once you get the Leander and higher it will do ALOT more damage, due to having between 8 & 12 guns which fire 8 or more rounds per minute, you'll get a lot of shatters and ricochets depending on what you're shooting at, but the sheer volume of fire will mean you rack up lots of damage regardless.

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
9,083 posts
7,978 battles

Tier 5 is a bad indicator of what the RN Cruisers are about. They deal a lot of damage, maybe even too much, but not at once. It's consistent damage over time, almost the complete opposite to a Battleship.

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
11,904 posts
8,457 battles

The guns on RN CLs are small and dont do much damage per hit, the make up for that at least on higher tier ships with lots of shells. 

[0456]
Members
3,608 posts
9,553 battles

Typically you're shooting other nation ship AP into the waterline and that works at close range against other cruisers or DDs in the British CLs- but generally I'm finding you just want to rinse the superstructure down with lead.

[HINON]
Supertester, Alpha Tester
2,562 posts
4,805 battles

The british cruisers are extremely well balanced by T2-5 being pretty awfull, T6 being OK to good and T7 - 10 being very good...

Keep going and you'll get to the better ships.

[LEGIT]
Members
2,334 posts
31,777 battles

Started playing the RN CL after getting the Christmas Leander.

My favorite line - smoke, heals, torps - just live long enough, which is fairly easy if you're not radared, and you'll do lots of damage.

Never played the Emerald, but have sunk a few of them.

I don't think they're that good even for a tier 5 CL.

[UFFA]
Beta Testers
3,784 posts
5,026 battles

Two most targeted ships in the game are Emerald and Krym. Imoo. Everyone treats them like a free XP piñata. Unless the Emerald is able to ambush then it has its torpvenge. 

[HINON]
Members
2,640 posts
7,932 battles

Two most targeted ships in the game are Emerald and Krym. Imoo. Everyone treats them like a free XP piñata. Unless the Emerald is able to ambush then it has its torpvenge. 

Let's be honest.... Emerald is an XP piñata, I love seeing them on the enemy team when sailing my Fiji..... I ALMOST feel bad for bullying and clubbing them to death with 4 or 5 citadels per salvo when i catch them showing any broadside.

[KSC]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
5,123 posts
7,989 battles

Tier 5 is a bad indicator of what the RN Cruisers are about. They deal a lot of damage, maybe even too much, but not at once. It's consistent damage over time, almost the complete opposite to a Battleship.

I actually find that to be the opposite.  Of all the cruisers in the game, the RN CLs are the least consistent damage dealers as they lack HE, and in turn have to rely heavily on getting burst damage on broadside targets.  An enemy BB will come bow on against my Edinburgh, and I'll only do a pittance of damage on him, but if he turns broadside, I can easily do 20k + damage in about 30 seconds until he angles again.....

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,427 posts
14,165 battles

The Emerald doesn't up tier well but as with all of the RN cruisers you need to fire high against angled targets and even broadside BB's.

[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,859 posts
15,761 battles

you'r not going to see decent damage output until tier 6. After that you have more and better guns which allow you to get a lot a damage! This is assuming however, you aim well!:read_fish:

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,427 posts
14,165 battles

you'r not going to see decent damage output until tier 6. After that you have more and better guns which allow you to get a lot a damage! This is assuming however, you aim well!:read_fish:

Yeah, the Leander is where the line starts to shine.

[WOLF3]
Members
27,058 posts
23,842 battles

RN CL guns are generally not Spike Damage Dealers.  They are not like BB AP salvos or 8"/203mm AP salvos where that salvo can land for citadels and massive damage.  RN CLs need time on target to do their work, unless the target is broadside or their torpedoes hit.  If broadside, they can do good, quick damage even to BB superstructures.  Even if an RN CL AP does citadel, they need multiple ones even on a Cruiser target for the effect to be telling.

7.5 seconds.  That is the reload time for RN CLs for most of the game and it only changes at Tier IX for 5 seconds and Tier X with something very fast I can't recall.

If the target is angled you need careful shell placement and time on target for the damage to pile up.  If the target is broadside, the RN CL AP really amps up the damage.

Low Tier RN CL AP however is worthless, i.e. Tier V Emerald and below.  It's fine if they are fighting only Cruiser and Destroyers but at Tier IV is when BBs start becoming a regular sight, and against them, Danae and Emerald's AP completely fail.  But from Tier VI Leander onwards, the RN CL AP finally gets good and becomes effective.  Leander is where all the basic pieces for success are first combined in an RN CL and the line doesn't look back after that.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,427 posts
14,165 battles

RN CL guns are generally not Spike Damage Dealers.  They are not like BB AP salvos or 8"/203mm AP salvos where that salvo can land for citadels and massive damage.  RN CLs need time on target to do their work, unless the target is broadside or their torpedoes hit.  If broadside, they can do good, quick damage even to BB superstructures.  Even if an RN CL AP does citadel, they need multiple ones even on a Cruiser target for the effect to be telling.

7.5 seconds.  That is the reload time for RN CLs for most of the game and it only changes at Tier IX for 5 seconds and Tier X with something very fast I can't recall.

If the target is angled you need careful shell placement and time on target for the damage to pile up.  If the target is broadside, the RN CL AP really amps up the damage.

Low Tier RN CL AP however is worthless, i.e. Tier V Emerald and below.  It's fine if they are fighting only Cruiser and Destroyers but at Tier IV is when BBs start becoming a regular sight, and against them, Danae and Emerald's AP completely fail.  But from Tier VI Leander onwards, the RN CL AP finally gets good and becomes effective.  Leander is where all the basic pieces for success are first combined in an RN CL and the line doesn't look back after that.

They can be rather spikey against broadside cruisers but baring citadels they are really a death a thousand cuts with their fast firing and extremely accurate guns.

[SYN]
Members
15,860 posts
12,803 battles

T5 Emerald is a POS and not an indicator of RNCL in any way, shape or form.

Edited by MrDeaf

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
9,083 posts
7,978 battles

I actually find that to be the opposite.  Of all the cruisers in the game, the RN CLs are the least consistent damage dealers as they lack HE, and in turn have to rely heavily on getting burst damage on broadside targets.  An enemy BB will come bow on against my Edinburgh, and I'll only do a pittance of damage on him, but if he turns broadside, I can easily do 20k + damage in about 30 seconds until he angles again.....

I am still sitting at Leander and I find her damage output to be consistent but unimpressive. She does not deal those high damage salvos I have seen from other Cruisers but she fires many salvos that all deal damage. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,427 posts
14,165 battles

T5 Emerald is a POS and not an indicator of RNCL in any way, shape or form.

It actually isn't a bad ship but like I said above it struggles against higher tier ships particularly the tier 7's.

[WOLF3]
Members
27,058 posts
23,842 battles

It actually isn't a bad ship but like I said above it struggles against higher tier ships particularly the tier 7's.

Tier V's even s--t on her though.  Konigsberg will rip her apart.  Kirov with her 180mm also, and let's not forget Murmansk which has fallen off the radar but still strong if in a Tier V heavy match.  Then there's the nightmare to Cruisers at Tier V, accurate shooting Konig.  Konig's dispersion is terrifying.

[KSC]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
5,123 posts
7,989 battles

I am still sitting at Leander and I find her damage output to be consistent but unimpressive. She does not deal those high damage salvos I have seen from other Cruisers but she fires many salvos that all deal damage. 

It really starts to change at higher tiers when RN CLs turn into massive DPM monsters, and the meta changes.  I'm only at the Edinburgh, but my damage levels are really inconsistent.  RN CLs are very poorly suited to dealing with the bow on camping meta do to their poor arcs and lack of HE.  The British guns don't really change at all between tier 6 and 10, with the only difference being ever increasing volume of fire.  

So in short, they get better and better at punishing broadsides with higher DPM, but tier for tier their individual shell power diminishes.

[FML]
Members
3,941 posts
15,503 battles

I am at the tier 5 ship and hit 26 times for 15k and that seems typical for me.  Is this a norm for British ships?   AP doesn't seem to damage much.

as others have said, the Emerald (and prior ships) are total rubbish. When you get to Leander, feel free to send me an in-game message and we can division together to see how the rest of the UK CL line plays. 

[FML]
Members
3,941 posts
15,503 battles

It really starts to change at higher tiers when RN CLs turn into massive DPM monsters, and the meta changes.  I'm only at the Edinburgh, but my damage levels are really inconsistent.  RN CLs are very poorly suited to dealing with the bow on camping meta do to their poor arcs and lack of HE.  The British guns don't really change at all between tier 6 and 10, with the only difference being ever increasing volume of fire.  

So in short, they get better and better at punishing broadsides with higher DPM, but tier for tier their individual shell power diminishes.

I understand what you mean, but I've found your single firing Torps here very helpful - if an enemy be is charging your smoke, fire 4 Torps in single file at his bow - solid 30k+ damage there, as unlike even narrow fan spreads, most will hit (if aimed well). 

[TOG]
Members
4,156 posts
24,101 battles

The Mino has a min reload time of 2.8 seconds. That's all 10 guns. It's not flat trajectory but that also has it's advantages. A Mino that is left alone is an area denial weapon.
Edited by Bill_Halsey