Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
BubaSmith

Cheating - Does it exist? Or am I missing something?

31 comments in this topic

[PIPI]
Beta Testers
277 posts
7,341 battles

I am not the best player on WoWs but with over 3000 battles I certainly do enjoy this game. Yesterday I came into a situation that mathematically seemed to be impossible, even my team mates at that time commented on the impossiblity of the encounter. I will attempt to explain; My nearly full health Yamato was approached around an island by a Moskava cruiser - surprised us both. My first full salvo AP from all 9 guns (9 x 14800= 133,200 total hit points) hitting well above the waterline of the Moskava did less than 10% damage on his ship, the second did less than 1000-500 hps damage, the third full side to side 9 gun AP hits didn't bring him below 1/2 hp. The distance was less than 7 kms and my secondaries scored 63 hits on the same ship. My aim was spot on every hit counted or at least hit - how could I miss that close? I get very discouraged when I play an honest game only to find situations where I see something wrong like this. I'm sure some of you will want rationalize my aim, experience, abilities and so forth but in this case I can't imagine anything other then out right cheating although (again to be honest)  I can't explain this any other way. Of course I don't have a picture or screen capture or a recording BUT this did happen. Any ideas on what could have happened or is my disappointment justified? The end result was I died and the Moskava survived and recorded a top enemy score of 2200 base points for their team. 

Alpha Tester
2,162 posts
6,770 battles

Its not cheating, it's the over-penetration and saturation mechanics screwing you. Aim a hair into the water at that range to slow your shells. Because yes, your Volkswagen sized shells will deal 1480 damage or less as they punch through every important part of a ship, for reasons.

That or you bounced off its extremely trollish belt armor with any low shells. Try turning on the extended hit ribbons option, it can tell you if you hit (33%) over-penetrated (10%) shattered (0) or bounced (0)

Edited by X15
  • Cool 1

Members
63 posts
13,829 battles

not sure if this was the same game

But i was in my Moskava and caught a Yamato  coming around a island broadside at first before he got turned into me....He was with another BB also?

Moskava can deal extricate amounts of damage at close range like that also...think one of my first hits was 17k and i was bow on sightly angled at first a

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
12,147 posts
9,111 battles

If you turn on the detailed ribbons it will tell you if your shots were over pens, penetrations, citadels, auto bounces, or shatters. 

The Moskva has a 50 mm upper belt and a 50 mm deck, if its well armored you will bounce off of his sides. 

Edited by 1nv4d3rZ1m

[BONKS]
[BONKS]
Beta Testers
1,451 posts
15,234 battles

My first full salvo AP from all 9 guns (9 x 14800= 133,200 total hit points) hitting well above the waterline of the Moskava did less than 10% damage on his ship

See above. That's your problem right there. Why are you aiming "well above the waterline"? The citadels of most ships are at the waterline or below it. You need to aim at the waterline or lower if you want your shells to encounter enough armor to detonate inside the targeted ship. Otherwise, your shells will pass right through without doing significant damage.

Also, you only get that full damage (14,800) if you hit a citadel. Overpens are 10% and Penetrations are 30 or 33% iirc.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Wiki Lead, Beta Testers, Privateers
6,801 posts
5,248 battles

What Doctor said, you were striking non vital parts of the ship.

[NEMO]
[NEMO]
Members
823 posts
10,938 battles

There are no cheats that I am aware of that directly impact server-side calculations (Such as damage taken or penetration characteristics)

However, there are a few paid hacks available out there that give aiming assistance (In the form of an on-screen target to shoot at, which leads the target so your shells hit exactly mid-ship). These will give you bot-like accuracy.

There was also a cheat some time ago that plotted the travel path of all torps in the water with a bright, easy to see line.

But if you were getting low damage rolls in a Yamato vs a CA, you should probably have a better look at where you were aiming....

Beta Testers
188 posts
86 battles

You're firing the largest guns in the game at a cruiser and overpenetrating, that's what's happening there. Point blank ranges like that, the shells have so much velocity they'll punch a hole clean through the ship and detonate on the other side, not inside the ship. If you want to deal serious damage, you need to hit the citadel. That's almost always at or near the waterline of the ship, dead center. A good rule of thumb is to aim for wherever the smokestacks are, because underneath those is the boiler room, and that really doesn't like having AP shot at it. 

Alpha Tester
2,162 posts
6,770 battles

Also, you only get that full damage (14,800) if you hit a citadel. Overpens are 10% and Penetrations are 30 or 33% iirc.

33%

[WG-CC]
-Members-, Members
9,101 posts
8,050 battles

There are no cheats that I am aware of that directly impact server-side calculations (Such as damage taken or penetration characteristics)

However, there are a few paid hacks available out there that give aiming assistance (In the form of an on-screen target to shoot at, which leads the target so your shells hit exactly mid-ship). These will give you bot-like accuracy.

There was also a cheat some time ago that plotted the travel path of all torps in the water with a bright, easy to see line.

But if you were getting low damage rolls in a Yamato vs a CA, you should probably have a better look at where you were aiming....

Those 'assists' will only show you where to aim, but the dispersion remains. Anyone with some game experience can easily do the same. Also those assists get hunted by WG, so I doubt that anyone uses it for long.

Onto the topic, I don't think that a hack or cheat was involved. The damage calculations get done at a WG server, so in order to manipulate that data you would have to gain access to the servers, find your match and then manipulate it so that you don't take damage. This sounds like a lot of effort, not even worth it to think about it. Because WG will have it easy to find you, and you get banned.

[WOLF7]
Members
12,620 posts

No one thinks to ask why he played all the way to tier 10, but didn't bother to learn shell mechanics?:hmm:

• Cool 1

[SPTR]
Members
2,462 posts
3,945 battles

It's just bad luck/aim. Yesterday I was being burned by a cheeky Kutuzov. I was almost dead, only had time for one last salvo before he picked me apart. I take the shot. He's full broadside on to me. The shells hit right at the waterline, between the smokestacks. 5 overpens and one full pen, he survives with ~5k HP and finishes me off. I was not happy. When you're close up I feel like there is a higher chance of overpenning because the shell trajectory is really flat compared to ~10-15km. The citadel is what you should be aiming for, and you tried to hit well above the waterline. That is the opposite of what you want to do - you want to nail him right at the waterline. 

Edited by SgtSullyC3

[WOLF1]
Members
9,915 posts
18,231 battles

No one thinks to ask why he played all the way to tier 10, but didn't bother to learn shell mechanics?:hmm:

there are a few people who post a lot lately that have the same "issue" low % but high advice and high problems understanding everything they should know at Tier ten..

Some skipped 1-6 almost all together and still have opinions or issues...

I ran out of concern for telling them the same things...

I mean I KNOW I have a lot of room for "improvement" but at least I admit it,. LOL

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Members
9,915 posts
18,231 battles

Its not cheating, it's the over-penetration and saturation mechanics screwing you. Aim a hair into the water at that range to slow your shells. Because yes, your Volkswagen sized shells will deal 1480 damage or less as they punch through every important part of a ship, for reasons.

That or you bounced off its extremely trollish belt armor with any low shells. Try turning on the extended hit ribbons option, it can tell you if you hit (33%) over-penetrated (10%) shattered (0) or bounced (0)

when I bounce Yammy shells in my Moskva, I get giggly...

Beta Testers
297 posts
15,924 battles

This topic was extremely helpful as I am soon unlocking the Yammie. I have played this game since Beta, but don't usually troll the forum,as of course I just happen to know everything,being the old salt that I am. But sheep-fully I admit I have NEVER aimed a hair at or just under the waterline,always aiming above it where I knew the added armor belt was because I always assumed that shells going into the water would act like a bullet does going into water. Altered trajectory and rapid slowing,making an underwater shoot a wasted shot. This comes as a pleasant surprise to see what I have been doing wrong this entire time. It makes me wonder how many people playing this game believe the same thing I did. Might be a great topic posting to let clueless tadpoles like me and others compete against the mighty fleet admirals out there.

I bow to your wisdom.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
297 posts
15,924 battles

Why I just believe I just answered this,,,,  We old salts just are to smart for our own good,,,,

Beta Testers
297 posts
15,924 battles

Why I believe that I just answered this ,,,,  We old salts just are to smart for our own good,,,,

[WOLF7]
Members
12,620 posts

there are a few people who post a lot lately that have the same "issue" low % but high advice and high problems understanding everything they should know at Tier ten..

Some skipped 1-6 almost all together and still have opinions or issues...

I ran out of concern for telling them the same things...

I mean I KNOW I have a lot of room for "improvement" but at least I admit it,. LOL

Me too, i'm nothing special in this game, but it would never occur to me to invest the time, or money in a game to get to the top, and not bother to learn anything along the way.

This is not a personal attack OP, I'm just curious.

I fully understand this is a casual game for a large part of the population and many players don't want to invest the time out of game to understand what's happening. But to work your way to tier 10, even if you spent money to shortcut seems like a lot of work in itself, why would you not at least do some light reading so you don't end up asking questions like this?

[NEMO]
[NEMO]
Members
823 posts
10,938 battles

There are a LOT of players in tier 8-9-10 like that....

I cringe every time I see a high tier BB just sitting there, fully broadside to enemy ships...

Members
2,709 posts
17,651 battles

Just another "I don't understand game mechanics, so those that do must be cheating" thread.

Move along, nothing to see here.

[5D2]
Beta Testers
354 posts
10,430 battles

People use cheating in video games like they use religion. They either don't understand game mechanics or are just flat out ignorant and start saying it's some magic man in the sky causing things to happen.

• Cool 1

Members
5,597 posts
7,121 battles

There are cheats in game, but this isn't one of them.

Edited by Wulfgarn
  • Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Members
9,915 posts
18,231 battles

Hey What kind of Cat is not allowed to play???

Spoiler

Edited by pmgaudio

[_AFW_]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
551 posts
8,359 battles

Yamato has high velocity, high penetration AP. Often at close range it will punch through one side of the main belt and come out the other side of the ship, which is an overpenetration. This does10% of the shells max dmg, 1480 for the Yamato. I prefer slower USN AP for this very reason. It has great penetration but it is slow, so it will start to angle downward. It will also move less inside the ship once it penetrates, leading to less overpens. 700 m/s AP speed on the North Carolina!

Sign in to follow this