You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Estimated_Prophet

Second unknown ship in the Premium port?

10 comments in this topic

[RLGN]
Members
19,118 posts
35,138 battles

Well, I tried to find the old thread, but no joy;

A while back, LittleWhiteMouse (I think...) posted a thread about 'what ship is being built on the slipway behind the one her Bougainville (I think) was on' in the new premium dockyard port.

Well, there appears to be yet another ship further back, at what appears to be a fitting out dock.

XaNRIu.jpg

Anyone have any Idea what it might be? At first I thought an Erie, but it seems too big to be that; then I though a Bayern, but that also didn't seem right...

[HINON]
[HINON]
Wiki Lead, Beta Testers, Privateers
6,801 posts
5,248 battles

It was Dseehafer who posted the thread about the ship on the slipway. The ship on the slipway is a Fletcher being constructed, the ship fitting out in the back is a Colorado.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
1,333 posts
8,606 battles

I wonder.. the superstructure looks British.. Hood?

[RLGN]
Members
19,118 posts
35,138 battles

It was Dseehafer who posted the thread about the ship on the slipway. The ship on the slipway is a Fletcher being constructed, the ship fitting out in the back is a Colorado.

Now that someone said so I can easily see that, thanks.

...and apologies to both Dseehafer and LWM for the mixup.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[BONKZ]
Members
887 posts
11,695 battles

Now that someone said so I can easily see that, thanks.

...and apologies to both Dseehafer and LWM for the mixup.

Someone on Reddit said it was the California post-Pearl Harbor, mainly because she still has the #4 turret in place. Someone has a picture of her in dry dock with only her #4 turret in place as well.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Wiki Lead, Beta Testers, Privateers
6,801 posts
5,248 battles

Someone on Reddit said it was the California post-Pearl Harbor, mainly because she still has the #4 turret in place. Someone has a picture of her in dry dock with only her #4 turret in place as well.

Except that California is a Tennessee-class, not a Colorado-class, and the ship in the port has a dual turret, not a triple.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
29,165 posts
15,765 battles

I wonder.. the superstructure looks British.. Hood?

Definitely not the Hood, much too short.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,971 posts
13,731 battles

All the pictures I could find of California post Pearl Harbor showed turret 4 still having it's guns, while the gunhouses for turrets 1, 2 and 3 were still in place, the guns themselves were removed. Which makes sense as she'd have to bring the turrets back to Puget, but replacement guns could come from spares. No mater how I pan around, I can't see more that one gun in turret 4 on the mystery ship, and if you can't see the front of the turret, the New Mexico's, California's and Colorado's have very similar turrets. (being hexagonal with flat tops)

I'm leaning towards it's modeled after one of the overhauls any of the standards received in the 1920's or 1930's, using the in game Colorado's model.

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

There's another Colorado class BB on the other side of the BB/CV drydock as well. You get a brief glimpse of it when the camera pans over to the rewards ship.

[NYAAR]
[NYAAR]
Members
4,781 posts
20,682 battles

After looking a bit closer at it, Yes, it is a Colorado class

Only the gunhouse of Turret 4 is present, but what sells it as the Colorado is the cut down cage mast aft. They were cut down to clear more sky arcs for AAA.

Only Colorado and Maryland had the cut down cage masts. The British never had Cage Masts, they believed in the Tripod. The only other Navy to have Cage Masts beside the US was the Greek navy, due to them having purchased two older US ships.

West Virginia had her masts removed prior to her recovery from Pearl Harbor as a weight saving measure (for the rasing) and then she was rebuilt without them.

California were completely rebuilt and never had her Cage Masts post Pearl Harbor.

Tennessee went to Puget Sound for repairs post Pearl Harbor. Her aft Cage Mast was removed and a small tower was in place as in the Hull C version of Colorado. She never operated with a stump cage mast. She returned later that year and was completely rebuilt along the same lines of the California and West Virginia.

Edited by Lord_Slayer