Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Mahrs

Warships Musings and a little salt

4 comments in this topic

Members
1,797 posts
7,977 battles

My quest for a WTR of 1300 continues.  It's been a tough week so far. I'm not sure if the game has changed or if I some how fell out of touch.

My cruiser play has arguably improved and become more consistent. However, the pace seems to have slowed in game. I spend a lot of time creeping... which feels odd to me and new. I cannot decide if I want to focus on the USN, VMF, RN or la France. It seems like FR cruisers might be a more dynamic game play style... However, I really want the concealment and/or radar that the USN and RN offer.

Conversely, my DD pay is stagnant of worsening. This is an area of traditional strength for me. Again, I don't know if it's me, but it seems like a challenging class of ships has become even more so of late. In a flight of fancy, I respec'd my IJN cruiser captain for DD. It seems like concealment, spotting and torpedoes are going to be more important. I could run Benson as a torpedo boat, but I'm paused on that while I muck around with IJN and KM ships. I liked Ognevoi in theory, but just couldn't abide it in practice - deeply unsatisfying gameplay.

I've really turned my back on battleships of late. The slow paced play and campy tactics aren't really my cup of tea. I know at some point I must go back... I'm not looking forward to it (I'm speaking of Bismarck primarily). The current style of long range standoff with all the vision challenge attendant thereto are perhaps better suited to the IJN.

The overall team play quality is definitely at a low point for me. I've never seen as many games end on points or cap. More than that, I've never seen it happen was quickly as it has of late. Timid play is one thing - this is more a complete lack of effort towards the actual objectives. It ruins the game no matter which side you're on, frankly. I cannot put my finger on what's going on, exactly. The type of tactics hasn't really changed, but the magnitude and severity seems to have worsened.

Oh, the salt:

If you're a BB hiding behind a lower tier cruiser... Lordy, you're doing it wrong (especially when there are no DD left).

If you're a top tier DD hiding instead of spotting and smoking for your team... Lordy, you're doing it wrong. Also, try not to get saltier than the friendly ship you TK after the fact...

[D-DAY]
Members
7,600 posts

Been saying the same! The stand-off creep forward play of high tier has now come to mid tier. 

You want a proper battle where any ship has a proper chance to beat another (class strengths and weaknesses applied), stay low tier.

When there's no balance people will stay back. If they feel there's a fair chance people will take the fight to the enemy.

WG seems to have achieved the exact opposite of what they wanted. :honoring:

Edited by _WaveRider_

Members
1,797 posts
7,977 battles

My Bismarck procrastination did at least force me to finish New Mexico.  I haven't bought Colorado yet...dreading that even more than Bismarck, I think.  

[CNO]
Members
7,450 posts
23,087 battles

I've really turned my back on battleships of late. The slow paced play and campy tactics aren't really my cup of tea. I know at some point I must go back... I'm not looking forward to it (I'm speaking of Bismarck primarily). The current style of long range standoff with all the vision challenge attendant thereto are perhaps better suited to the IJN.

Taking tier into account, the Bismarck is the BEST brawler in the game.  If it's a T8 game, I will almost always go for a cap with the DDs.  My secondaries can handle any DD that shows up, my Asdic detects the torps, my main guns turn away all CAs, and I'm equal to any other BB that shows.  Bismarck ROCKS.

I will do this in T9 and T10 provided I'm not outclassed by the BBs, and will go in with any T9 ot T10 that decides to push no matter what the MM.  The only twist is I have to be a lot more cautious of the CAs.  There are T10 CAs that can mess up a Biz.

Edited by Soshi_Sone

Sign in to follow this