Kitsunelegend

I'm worried about this community...

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

116 posts in this topic

The forum visitors are more passionate about the game, and there are quiet voices with wise opinions and loud voices riddled with complaints.

People get treated like trash in this community for having bad or mediocre stats. It's more than just the social currency, stats are something that some people seem to regard as being analogous to an individual's worth as a human being. I've had some moments of genuine angst knowing that I tanked my stats a bit during a non-productive evening of play, just because I don't want to be looked down on by my "peers." That added pressure is going to make people very, very touchy about perceived lack of effectiveness of teams, or assumed imbalances in the game, and that's going to bring out a lot of salt.

When I came to this forum, I was an excited player that really wanted to interact with fellow gamers, learn about the history of the ships, and elevate my play. Immediately, before I posted a single thing, I was made painfully aware that people on this message board hated me because 1) my stats were bad and 2) I liked playing battleships. Seriously, the venom on the forum that people had for me, without knowing me and before I had even made a single post, was unreal. It was genuine hate, and it basically soured me to the point where I spent/spend most of my time here just trolling the toxic brats that think that it's super cool to crap on people for playing a certain type of ship, or for not maintaining some MLG level with their play. It's a cycle, on the forums at least. A toxic, hateful community sours new participants on interacting with said community, and begets more toxicity. Hell, I stopped into the Twitch stream of a recently verified and vetted Community Contributor only to listen to them spouting garbage hate speech that wouldn't even be tolerated on the forums, so the problem extends well beyond here.

I'm actually trying to reign in my own threadbombing, but I'm still bitter about the people that ruined this place for me. Truth be told, I think that the healthiest way to interact with the World of Warships community is to avoid it entirely. But I'm here, so I'm going to try to be the kind of person that I was hoping to find when I came to this forum in the first place. 

The only one that can really lessen toxicity is WG.

But I'm not really sure they are capable of keeping all the diverse groups in this game happy at the same time. If that's what they are trying to do, it's a bad idea and it's failing.

Please keep in mind, before continuing, that I'm writing this while both stressed out and sleep deprived, so if something doesn't make sense, or seems off or is spelled incorrectly and I use improper grammar, thats probably why.

Lately I've noticed an increasing trend among this community, from all sides. From the normal forum users, to the community contributors, to some of the more well known forum goers, where it seems to me at least, that a very bad level of toxicity is taking over, especially when talking about anything regarding stats, be it from ship stats, to server stats, to personal stats...

People are becoming very salty about losing a couple games in a row. They're seemingly so caught up in ship stats and trying to make sure ships are always able to win a 1v1 against their own class, to worrying about their own personal stats and trying to use them as a means of bragging...I'm not at all saying this is a bad thing, but lately I've noticed it seems to be getting out of control.

People seem to be playing this game to be the best at it. To be super competitive against the best. To be "MLG" or something. What ever happened to just playing the game because "hey! Thats a famous battleship!" Or "hey! I love cruisers cause they were the work horses of X navy!" or "I play CVs because I like naval aviation!" 

People seem so caught up on playing their stats and not actually playing the game. They're missing the whole point of this game by doing this, and what it means to have a community that we used to have.

Back in CBT, I saw people who enjoyed the game because X ship was in the game. This is what I mean. Not too many people seemed to really care all that much about stats. They didn't really seem to worry about having purple stat cards or anything like that, not to say they didn't try to play their best. They still tried to play for the win of course, like anyone should, but if they made a mistake that got them sunk, or they messed up and ended up losing because of it, they went "oh well, shite happens =P" then they went off into the next game and enjoyed blowing things up. They didn't let it get to them.

I'm worried this community is losing site of what made it so much better than WoT. I'm worried this community is becoming what it feared most....there are still some amazing individuals around, who go out of their way to help others. There are still some who play the game only because they enjoy naval history. But for the most part, players are getting much more upset, much more salty, much more...angry...and over all negative lately...

I know I seem like I'm rambling...but things that have happened recently in my life...from a very close family member having a cancer scare, nearly losing another family member, to actually losing a childhood friend to a drug overdose of all things, and to having to deal with major health issues of my own... its put things into perspective for me...its shown just how negative this community has become lately...

And I'm scared....I'm scared, because it feels like its driving me away... I try to be care free and let it slide...I try to just enjoy this game because "yay floaty botes!" but its just....draining me...on top of everything else...

I'm scared...because I don't want to lose what I consider my second home... I may not show it at times...but I hold a LOT of you guys as close friends...even if I don't tell you...or we've never played together, or never spoke on comms... I don't want to lose what we once were...

This is your very worried and scare local kitsune...signing off...

"Be the change you want to see."  

All these people not going to buy the Hood because she doesn't look all that great... ITS THE FREAKING HMS HOOD PEOPLE!!

Buy the bloody thing if for no other reason than to stare at it in port. A quality 1/350 model of the Hood will easily cost at least $100, and WG will, most likely, sell theirs for around $50. Already that's a helluva deal just for being able to look at it in port. And you know what? You can't sail a model in a naval battle, or fire it's guns, watch it sink, etc... and best of all... your cat can't knock it off of its shelf!!

I won't buy the Hood either because she doesn't look great, but I mean that in terms of aesthetics and not in terms of gameplay.

She is a bit too long for my taste, and a lot of free space at her midships. Worst thing is her lack of a flush deck, that completely ruins her for me. Comparing that to the Prinz Eugen, flush deck, beautiful bow, not much space wasted, Battleship-like look. But tastes differ.

Fun aside, my point is that I would buy any ship as long as it looks beautiful and it has a decent history. Unfortunately that alone excludes ships like Arizona, Mutsu and Belfast (those tripple turrets, baah).

People are going to be how people are.  PvP attracts alpha type personalities.  That's a simple fact.  They're not going to be like "oh phooey, I died again.  Oh well!"  People get frustrated.  They want to win.  if they were to over moderate here, there would BE no community, people would go out to reddit where they can be as buttholish as they want to be.

Its not a matter of 'over moderation', it IS a matter of just doing some moderation.  You yourself I am sure have witnessed how some of the threads go, they fall apart in a heart beat and then continue on a down hill slide and what is the response from the Moderators...crickets...,while those are the most toxic and do it on a regular basis continue to get away with it.  Moderators do not have to over moderate, they simply have to do some moderating.

I hear ya.  This is especially timely as today, yesterday now, was the first time I have filed a report for chat violations.  I have pretty thick skin.  You can say what you want about me and I really don't care.  Profanity, usually, is not a big deal to me although there are the occasional exceptions, but  today was the first time I felt compelled to do more than just hit the report button and went ahead and filed a ticket with screen shots and the whole nine yards.  I have never seen such language used in this game until today.  It' gets pretty salty from time to time but this was just above and beyond.  I hope that this isolated occurrence remains just that.

People are going to be how people are.  PvP attracts alpha type personalities.  That's a simple fact.  They're not going to be like "oh phooey, I died again.  Oh well!"  People get frustrated.  They want to win.  if they were to over moderate here, there would BE no community, people would go out to reddit where they can be as buttholish as they want to be.

Successful alpha types would not be playing games, they are too busy and tired from real life.  Game communities tend to attract real life losers, looking to vent their frustrations on the game.

Edited by Eisennagel

Game communities tend to attract real life losers, looking to vent their frustrations on the game.

Its not a matter of 'over moderation', it IS a matter of just doing some moderation.  You yourself I am sure have witnessed how some of the threads go, they fall apart in a heart beat and then continue on a down hill slide and what is the response from the Moderators...crickets...,while those are the most toxic and do it on a regular basis continue to get away with it.  Moderators do not have to over moderate, they simply have to do some moderating

Agree!!! There seems to be no rhyme or reason to moderation on here.  When someone has 90% of their posts a constant stream of personal attacks and negative garbage, it is amazing that they are still allowed to post.  Niko has stated the rules for this forum and the moderator seems to ignore him. 

There's been responses to posts like "your preaching to people that don't come onto the forum" or something close to that.  There's a good reason for that.  All of the personal attacks and constant stream of negative could be one reason why they don't come here.  It's a shame because there are some fantastic contributors who are trying to make the site better regardless of those few that are trying to destroy the site and drive people away.

It could also be a sign of the times we are currently living in.....disagree with someone and it either gets violent or you are silenced. 

I don't care how much money someone has spent here.  If 90% of your posts are personal attacks and negative garbage........you need to be removed from the forum for a short spell and seek psychiatric help.

Stay positive and try not to let others influence how you feel about the game.I saw that you had a lot of fun with the Clash of Elements, posting some mock trash talk, and a series of "fiery foxes". Look for similar ways to stay engaged and have fun.

I think that, as others have said, the toxicity on the forums is more due to frustration than real nasty attitudes. Hang in there. A good portion of this "community" is level-headed and friendly. There will always be some level of toxicity on an anonymous forum. Don't let it get to you.

Please keep in mind, before continuing, that I'm writing this while both stressed out and sleep deprived, so if something doesn't make sense, or seems off or is spelled incorrectly and I use improper grammar, thats probably why.

Lately I've noticed an increasing trend among this community, from all sides. From the normal forum users, to the community contributors, to some of the more well known forum goers, where it seems to me at least, that a very bad level of toxicity is taking over, especially when talking about anything regarding stats, be it from ship stats, to server stats, to personal stats...

People are becoming very salty about losing a couple games in a row. They're seemingly so caught up in ship stats and trying to make sure ships are always able to win a 1v1 against their own class, to worrying about their own personal stats and trying to use them as a means of bragging...I'm not at all saying this is a bad thing, but lately I've noticed it seems to be getting out of control.

People seem to be playing this game to be the best at it. To be super competitive against the best. To be "MLG" or something. What ever happened to just playing the game because "hey! Thats a famous battleship!" Or "hey! I love cruisers cause they were the work horses of X navy!" or "I play CVs because I like naval aviation!" 

People seem so caught up on playing their stats and not actually playing the game. They're missing the whole point of this game by doing this, and what it means to have a community that we used to have.

Back in CBT, I saw people who enjoyed the game because X ship was in the game. This is what I mean. Not too many people seemed to really care all that much about stats. They didn't really seem to worry about having purple stat cards or anything like that, not to say they didn't try to play their best. They still tried to play for the win of course, like anyone should, but if they made a mistake that got them sunk, or they messed up and ended up losing because of it, they went "oh well, shite happens =P" then they went off into the next game and enjoyed blowing things up. They didn't let it get to them.

I'm worried this community is losing site of what made it so much better than WoT. I'm worried this community is becoming what it feared most....there are still some amazing individuals around, who go out of their way to help others. There are still some who play the game only because they enjoy naval history. But for the most part, players are getting much more upset, much more salty, much more...angry...and over all negative lately...

I know I seem like I'm rambling...but things that have happened recently in my life...from a very close family member having a cancer scare, nearly losing another family member, to actually losing a childhood friend to a drug overdose of all things, and to having to deal with major health issues of my own... its put things into perspective for me...its shown just how negative this community has become lately...

And I'm scared....I'm scared, because it feels like its driving me away... I try to be care free and let it slide...I try to just enjoy this game because "yay floaty botes!" but its just....draining me...on top of everything else...

I'm scared...because I don't want to lose what I consider my second home... I may not show it at times...but I hold a LOT of you guys as close friends...even if I don't tell you...or we've never played together, or never spoke on comms... I don't want to lose what we once were...

This is your very worried and scare local kitsune...signing off...

Sorry my good fox. This is what happened in tanks. Ships was doomed to go the same way.

12v12 Environment, where a random moron can heavily influence if a team wins or loses, yeah there is going to be toxicity, and i welcome it for as long as these idiots play a factor in my win rate.

12v12 Environment, where a random moron can heavily influence if a team wins or loses, yeah there is going to be toxicity, and i welcome it for as long as these idiots play a factor in my win rate.

I don't wish to insult you, but that right there can show why the game is getting more Toxic. Stat-minding. Welcoming toxicity. Name-calling. Self-superiority. Toxicity brings out the worst in others- I love this community. I respect it, it's one of the places that is dignified in the internet world and I am honored to be part of it and I try my best to stay at my best behavior on it. (Which is not saying much, being a "Young 'un") But in other communities, where people moderate themselves less, the worse side of me tends to slip out. 

Successful alpha types would not be playing games, they are too busy and tired from real life.  Game communities tend to attract real life losers, looking to vent their frustrations on the game.

As a real-life loser, I concur. :trollface:

So the OP is concerned that in a game that involves winning and losing people are obsessed with winning?

No way.

Hang in there OP :)  

I find there to be three main forms of toxicity in the forums and in-game.

it so amusing that a lot of the toxicity in this forum comes from stats when the stats in this game are completely meaningless and worthless in any way or form.

Stats need a foundation to have any form of meaning, and it needs to be a consistent foundation.

Someone with stats from when they joined the game after they removed draws from the game, cannot be meaningful against players who have played from day 1 and should have win rate boosted by some 5 - 10% to account for the "losses" of draws.

Someone with stats from when they joined the game post the T1-4 "fix" in MM cannot be meaningful against players who played before that date.

In some ways, when every new ship line is introduced, it makes stats from before that date suspect as the foundation of the game has changed.

Someone with stats gained mainly in divisions cannot be meaningful against players who usually play solo.

Someone with stats as a re-roll is completely irrelevant and worthless.

In all these cases, stats are nothing more than a vague indicator and yet some people treat them as the be all and end all of epeen in the game..  not everyone, but a lot of the toxicity posters and in-game toxicity come from this meaningless metric.   

There are some great players out there, some natural players out there that are really good and some great players out there whos stats are rubbish..  what you nbeed to do is find the great players and ignore the stats..  great stats does NOT mean great player and vice versa.

The second seems to be the people who really are, or have been passionate about the game and become dissilusioned for whatever reason and they are having a hard time reconcilling that fact.  Either a perceived slight by WG against their favorite ship or class of ships or event..  usually without much foundation in reality  (although some are), but are dissapointed and let that flow into their attitude on the forums and that is, to me, the hardest one to see because all these people could be the greatest supporters of the game because of the passion they show, albeit negative passion in this case.

The third are just those that want their 10 minutes of fame and don't care..  these are the WG is P2W, or I want, or the free stuff is crap posts or will try to divert a post about one thing to something irrelevant  like  P2W, or I want or the free stuff is crap style.    Nothing to see here move on and ignore the posters and no, they are in no way the same as the second group.. they are just sad people that have no life but want what everyone else has whether they earned it or not.

I have some sympathy with the second group, as I have been there and done that and got the badge of dissilusionment from a number of issues, but still play regularly and have fun.

As a couple of oither posters have said..  the lack of monitoring and the abandonment of responsability of WG to police their own forums is a major point here..  Their moderation policy is like their in-game policy of make it as simple as possible for everyone and lets have participation medals and hope any issues just vanish if we ignore them.   It started when downvotes were removed and has continued downhill from there.

I still believe you can have fuin playing this game and I personally will continue to do so..   I'm not looking for the ship that gives me the most uber advantage in game, I play the ships I enjoy..  even, oh god, yes I have started playing Krispy Kreme because it can be a fun ship to play.

Ignore the stat [edited]who have no foundation in reality, deal with those slighted whether factual or not by being somewhat sympathetic and laugh (and then ignore) those that just want fame for a few seconds on a game forum and play for your enjoyment of taking out a famous ship, or just one you enjoy and ignore the result..   if you have fun driving that ship, the "stats" result is trivial..  the enjoyment is what a game is all about and with enjoyment comes winning, either in game, or personally, but in game will follow if your attitude is up there to start with. :)

M

Edited by MaliceA4Thought

So the OP is concerned that in a game that involves winning and losing people are obsessed with winning?

No way.

There is a difference between wanting to win and being a bad person over it. Chess is a good example of wanting to win, but at the same time having to be civil about it or else you get thrown out of tournaments and lose a lot of money since chess tournants like the nes I like to play and in in pay 4-5 digit amounts of cash for weekend lol.

The hostility and hate that gets expressed in Wargaming games can get a little ridiculous and what people need to remember is in this day and age you can be watched and tracked and if you are ever suspected of a crime at some point law enforcement can pull chat logs on your gaming and social networking and find out about your personality for example.

I usually find it best to keep things civil even when debating over a matter .

I agree with you OP; however, I'd like to add a dimension to it.

I could care less about my win rate or other stats.  I could care less about other people's win rate or stats.  What I do care about is playing with a team that exhibits a modicum of clue.

When I say "clue", I mean not dumping torps from behind the line without a thought of hitting your own allies.  Or F-Key crazy.

Like others have said, this is a great community compared to others out there.  I can understand your frustration.  Keep up the good fight both in the battles and on the forums.

F-Key crazy.

I love going to the low tiers and just F-key the crapout of it with the whole team for the first 5 minutes. Everybody seems to love doing that in the low tiers and I have a mood lifting experience out of it. Edited by m373x

Actually what would happen is that the complete a******* would go to Reddit, the borderline a******* would tone down their pointless rhetoric and the adults (of all ages) would have a place to post, share experiences,  learn and ask questions without the first two groups jumping all over them.  In other words this forum would stop being Reddit-lite and turn into an actual community.

com·mu·ni·ty
kəˈmyo͞onədē/
noun
a feeling of fellowship with others, as a result of sharing common attitudes, interests, and goals.
"the sense of community that organized religion can provide"

Does that describe this place in it's current form any way?  

For instance, yesterday a newcomer  asked a perfectly reasonable question and one of the "forum-elite" immediately started throwing around names (WIllfull/lazy ignorance is a cancerous thing, ignorant/lazy, too stupid to live)  for not hunting for the patch notes.  There was no reason in the world to post the juvenile crap he did, but characteristically he just jumps into threads like that to show off how superior he is.

But this is only one example of the needless hate spam the OP is referring to.  Another thread one of the regulars actually suggested that someone should be killed.  We have regular posters here that, this minute you see their name, you know it is going to be nothing but venom about everyone else who plays the game.  Looking below the posting window I see the topics "Weekend Rant" & "What's with all the idiots running around".  Without looking I will bet you there are at least 5 threads on the main page bit***** about players that aren't up to the poster's standards.  Does that sound like a "community" to you?

All of this comes down to loose moderation.  People get away with this crap because they are allowed to get away with this crap.  To the OPs point it is not the game that is dragging him down, it's this place.  This forum would be much better off without the "alpha male" (it is to laugh) crap that is allowed to flourish here.  Let Reddit have them.  It deserves it.

I love going to the low tiers and just F-key the shiit out of it with the whole team for the first 5 minutes. Everybody seems to love doing that in the low tiers and I have a mood lifting experience out of it.

You have a great deal of professionalism and integrity, that's for sure.

You have a great deal of professionalism and integrity, that's for sure.

I am not so sure about that, mom says I'm trash.

I am not so sure about that, mom says I'm trash.

yeah but you don't have to keep proving it :)

M

yeah but you don't have to keep proving it :)

M

Why not if I enjoy it? I am not here to please you after all.