Kitsunelegend

I'm worried about this community...

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

116 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Please keep in mind, before continuing, that I'm writing this while both stressed out and sleep deprived, so if something doesn't make sense, or seems off or is spelled incorrectly and I use improper grammar, thats probably why.

Lately I've noticed an increasing trend among this community, from all sides. From the normal forum users, to the community contributors, to some of the more well known forum goers, where it seems to me at least, that a very bad level of toxicity is taking over, especially when talking about anything regarding stats, be it from ship stats, to server stats, to personal stats...

People are becoming very salty about losing a couple games in a row. They're seemingly so caught up in ship stats and trying to make sure ships are always able to win a 1v1 against their own class, to worrying about their own personal stats and trying to use them as a means of bragging...I'm not at all saying this is a bad thing, but lately I've noticed it seems to be getting out of control.

People seem to be playing this game to be the best at it. To be super competitive against the best. To be "MLG" or something. What ever happened to just playing the game because "hey! Thats a famous battleship!" Or "hey! I love cruisers cause they were the work horses of X navy!" or "I play CVs because I like naval aviation!" 

People seem so caught up on playing their stats and not actually playing the game. They're missing the whole point of this game by doing this, and what it means to have a community that we used to have.

Back in CBT, I saw people who enjoyed the game because X ship was in the game. This is what I mean. Not too many people seemed to really care all that much about stats. They didn't really seem to worry about having purple stat cards or anything like that, not to say they didn't try to play their best. They still tried to play for the win of course, like anyone should, but if they made a mistake that got them sunk, or they messed up and ended up losing because of it, they went "oh well, shite happens =P" then they went off into the next game and enjoyed blowing things up. They didn't let it get to them.

I'm worried this community is losing site of what made it so much better than WoT. I'm worried this community is becoming what it feared most....there are still some amazing individuals around, who go out of their way to help others. There are still some who play the game only because they enjoy naval history. But for the most part, players are getting much more upset, much more salty, much more...angry...and over all negative lately...

I know I seem like I'm rambling...but things that have happened recently in my life...from a very close family member having a cancer scare, nearly losing another family member, to actually losing a childhood friend to a drug overdose of all things, and to having to deal with major health issues of my own... its put things into perspective for me...its shown just how negative this community has become lately...

And I'm scared....I'm scared, because it feels like its driving me away... I try to be care free and let it slide...I try to just enjoy this game because "yay floaty botes!" but its just....draining me...on top of everything else...

I'm scared...because I don't want to lose what I consider my second home... I may not show it at times...but I hold a LOT of you guys as close friends...even if I don't tell you...or we've never played together, or never spoke on comms... I don't want to lose what we once were...

This is your very worried and scare local kitsune...signing off...

Edited by Kitsunelegend

It's not going to change.

Posted (edited) · Report post

You can't change other people's attitudes, but you can change your own. Try being a positive influence for a change.

While it might feel awful at first, you'll end up enjoying the game a lot more in the long run.

Edited by legoboy0401

I'm quite content with how I am.  I need no lectures from you.

I'm still the same Kitsune! I came here because of the ships in it, and have stayed due to the ships and the people here. This is the only good place to truly see these magnificent metal beasts clash upon the seas. The community, whilst having some...unsavory individuals, are still good as a whole from what I've seen and well meaning. Especially individuals such as Lert, and Dseehafer.

And hey, if some forum goers are being more than a bit ugly, you won't find any from me! (Except if it's historically wrong or something) :D

Cheers from me, Doomlock. :great:

Just keep being positive. I find that the best way to obliterate an internet poop storm is to just be kind to others, and to listen. While there may not be much I can do to influence the community as a whole, I can at least be a good person, right? 

Noticed the toxic level rising.  Its not WoW levels of bad yet but it is getting worse.  For every good or helpful response we get five sarcastic or flat out rude ones.  

Then again,  noticing the level of people complaining rising as well.  People get into a bad match or two against X and immediately hit the forum and scream for the nerfing of X.  I suppose I understand people losing patience with that particular poster type.

Please keep in mind, before continuing, that I'm writing this while both stressed out and sleep deprived, so if something doesn't make sense, or seems off or is spelled incorrectly and I use improper grammar, thats probably why.

Lately I've noticed an increasing trend among this community, from all sides. From the normal forum users, to the community contributors, to some of the more well known forum goers, where it seems to me at least, that a very bad level of toxicity is taking over, especially when talking about anything regarding stats, be it from ship stats, to server stats, to personal stats...

People are becoming very salty about losing a couple games in a row. They're seemingly so caught up in ship stats and trying to make sure ships are always able to win a 1v1 against their own class, to worrying about their own personal stats and trying to use them as a means of bragging...I'm not at all saying this is a bad thing, but lately I've noticed it seems to be getting out of control.

People seem to be playing this game to be the best at it. To be super competitive against the best. To be "MLG" or something. What ever happened to just playing the game because "hey! Thats a famous battleship!" Or "hey! I love cruisers cause they were the work horses of X navy!" or "I play CVs because I like naval aviation!" 

People seem so caught up on playing their stats and not actually playing the game. They're missing the whole point of this game by doing this, and what it means to have a community that we used to have.

Back in CBT, I saw people who enjoyed the game because X ship was in the game. This is what I mean. Not too many people seemed to really care all that much about stats. They didn't really seem to worry about having purple stat cards or anything like that, not to say they didn't try to play their best. They still tried to play for the win of course, like anyone should, but if they made a mistake that got them sunk, or they messed up and ended up losing because of it, they went "oh well, shite happens =P" then they went off into the next game and enjoyed blowing things up. They didn't let it get to them.

I'm worried this community is losing site of what made it so much better than WoT. I'm worried this community is becoming what it feared most....there are still some amazing individuals around, who go out of their way to help others. There are still some who play the game only because they enjoy naval history. But for the most part, players are getting much more upset, much more salty, much more...angry...and over all negative lately...

I know I seem like I'm rambling...but things that have happened recently in my life...from a very close family member having a cancer scare, nearly losing another family member, to actually losing a childhood friend to a drug overdose of all things, and to having to deal with major health issues of my own... its put things into perspective for me...its shown just how negative this community has become lately...

And I'm scared....I'm scared, because it feels like its driving me away... I try to be care free and let it slide...I try to just enjoy this game because "yay floaty botes!" but its just....draining me...on top of everything else...

I'm scared...because I don't want to lose what I consider my second home... I may not show it at times...but I hold a LOT of you guys as close friends...even if I don't tell you...or we've never played together, or never spoke on comms... I don't want to lose what we once were...

I feel you. I finally got my head to let go of stats, and all of a sudden, everything just started clicking. I enjoy the game again.

Just keep being positive. I find that the best way to obliterate an internet poop storm is to just be kind to others, and to listen. While there may not be much I can do to influence the community as a whole, I can at least be a good person, right? 

As long as we have our ray of sunshine here, we'll make it.

I am still here my friend !   I am still the same lunatic I was since the Closed Beta Weekends .  lol   Maybe Sinboto and I can Div with you some more and try to cheer you up . Stay well and take care of yourself and loved ones ; they are more inportant then a game .  

:honoring:

that's what you get when they shove the stats into your throat with no way to avoid them except hiding from others even in what's supposed to be a casual mode

I have been here since Alpha until my PC broke in 2015, recently come back and now going up the German line. I am having a fun time relearning the ships and mechanics. People will always worry about stats in WG games, its a simple fact.

I feel you. I finally got my head to let go of stats, and all of a sudden, everything just started clicking. I enjoy the game again.

Yeah just relaxing and keeping positive attitude really helps, not saying be careless or anything since you don't want to intentionally ruin a game, but if an enemy got some good hits and sank me suddenly I just click on the chat and say " Lol good game it was was fun." Or " Well played" something positive. I still am having to avoid certain times of day that tend to be the most negative and instead try to reinforce the more positives be times of day. I also am really trying hard to find players to send compliments that give Karma points to players as well. Also trying to build a contacts list of players that are both skilled and have positive outlook for me to Division with.

I still have not had my love for playing ships diminished and I am loving  Gneisenau and know Bismarck is going to be awesome fun to sail as well. Liking fast Battleships and Cruisers to help out team mates in need more quickly, hoping Wargaming patches the bugs soon in CVs do I can provide air cover more consistently when ever I use CVs,.

I only care about win rate so much because I'm grinding something >95% of the time and the win bonus to xp helps to reduce the time needed which is a highly valued resource.

And I hate not being appropriately rewarded for my own effort due to factors out of my control, like when MM/RNG decides I'm not going to win.

You do have your point, when I started the community was a lot less toxic. And the behaviour of the community was also a reason why I preferred WoWs over other games where people constantly told me what they did to my mother. 

The problem is, as people hang around longer, the wonder of the old days wears off.  People are going to get frustrated, they are going to vent.  You can't control that.  This community is /still/ worlds better than the old vn boards were when I played Dark Age of Camelot.  Those guys knew how to be salty.  This place?  Sunshine and rainbows.  Anytime you have internet games where people compete, that competitiveness is going to come out.  You can't simply wish that away, as much as you'd like to.

I've felt it too. I'm a culprit of this behind the com, getting saltier about these. Fun threads have decreased, anger has taken over.

What ever happened to just playing the game because "hey! Thats a famous battleship!" Or "hey! I love cruisers cause they were the work horses of X navy!" or "I play CVs because I like naval aviation!" 

Back in CBT, I saw people who enjoyed the game because X ship was in the game. 

^ This.

All these people not going to buy the Hood because she doesn't look all that great... ITS THE FREAKING HMS HOOD PEOPLE!!

Buy the bloody thing if for no other reason than to stare at it in port. A quality 1/350 model of the Hood will easily cost at least $100, and WG will, most likely, sell theirs for around $50. Already that's a helluva deal just for being able to look at it in port. And you know what? You can't sail a model in a naval battle, or fire it's guns, watch it sink, etc... and best of all... your cat can't knock it off of its shelf!!

Note: I use the Hood only as an example, I see the same thing with any premium ship, d'Aosta, Alabama so on and so forth... all of this "Uh, it doesn't look OP, no way I'll buy this" crap is really getting on my nerves. :sceptic:

Like you, I wish we could go back to those days when people joined this game for the ships in it, and not just because it's "another video game". Back when people bought ships for their history and not their stats. You'll hear "There's no such thing as a bad ship, only a bad captain" a lot and it really holds true. WG will not release an unbalanced ship into the game, at least, not on purpose. Trust that and buy your premium ships with confidence. Did you like "X ship" in real life? Good, there's no reason for you not to own and enjoy it in-game as well.

Edited by dseehafer

Its not going to change due to the lack of moderation from WG, while there may be some that complain about over moderation in this forum, truth is this has to be one of the least moderated forums I have ever been on.  The amount of things that some get away with on this forum would not be tolerated for a second on others I have visited. With the current state of things here, we are well on our way to being on equal par with the WOT forum, which sucks big time!

Its not going to change due to the lack of moderation from WG, while there may be some that complain about over moderation in this forum, truth is this has to be one of the least moderated forums I have ever been on.  The amount of things that some get away with on this forum would not be tolerated for a second on others I have visited. With the current state of things here, we are well on our way to being on equal par with the WOT forum, which sucks big time!

People are going to be how people are.  PvP attracts alpha type personalities.  That's a simple fact.  They're not going to be like "oh phooey, I died again.  Oh well!"  People get frustrated.  They want to win.  if they were to over moderate here, there would BE no community, people would go out to reddit where they can be as buttholish as they want to be.

I sort of agree with the OP and I believe WG is responsible for this toxicity.

Half the threads are about nerfing or buffing a class which creates some sort of class war, in the forum but also in-game. 6.3.0 is a turning point for me in the game, as it is a massive nerf for DDs (USN, IJNs and stealth-build russian DDs). It is after this update that the game-play got worse, DD population has been decreasing, team-play is now gone...

To cure OWSF which was not an issue apart for some cruisers, WG introduced a mechanics that has turned the game into a solo game. DDs not capping or supporting, BBs yoloing, lemming trains.... in turn, you do not control or weight as much on games. Some games get decided in the first minutes and it is pretty much impossible to recover from there. And from that point, you might as well try to play for your XP and credits rather than try to save the game.

So here we are. It is easier to go forum and scream for unbalancing the game to your advantage than actually try to play it well.

Until WG starts to re-introduce team-play and get some balance back in the game it will get worse. And looking at the feedback from them, I don't except things to get better any time soon.

The community, whilst having some...unsavory individuals, are still good as a whole from what I've seen and well meaning. Especially individuals such as Lert, and Dseehafer.

​​Image result for good sir meme

I just dug my way out of a 9 hour reddit rabbit hole. The people here are fine.