You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ddle55

Horrible mid and long range guns? Tier V-IX

9 comments in this topic

Members
4 posts
3,691 battles

Hey all,

I could use your advise on my American DD's.  I know they have a pretty lousy trajectory, so when I aim at anything over 6k-8k I practically have to place my reticle off of the screen in order to even get close to my target.  However, after doing some reading about the real aiming modifications on the Fletcher class DD's they all seem to indicate that these ships had great accuracy from long distances.    If that is indeed the case why do the American DD's in this game have such horrible mid and long range accuracy? 

Thank you

David

[ARMDA]
Members
9,004 posts
6,506 battles

The high arc of the shell makes it hard to aim.  Try to get within torp distance or less and try to fire. I'm sure everyone else has a better opinion then mine..

Members
155 posts
4,062 battles

Full disclaimer: I'm only up to the Benson so far, so I can barely speak for it, let alone Fletcher or Gearing. However, I also have a 55%+ WR from the Wickes up through Mahan, so I do know a thing or two.

But basically, yes. Or, the answer is balance and diversity.

American DD's basically fill the Jack of All Trades niche among the destroyers. They have less effective torpedoes compared to IJN (...in theory) yet better compared to VMF torpedoes. Opposite with guns: worse than VMF, better than IJN. The KM destroyers (exempting tiers 2,3,4,6,8) are basically mediocre USN knock-offs with mostly sub-par hydro exempting tier 10, so I'm in no hurry to grind them.

This is an arcade game, not a simulator. The USN dd's excel with their guns in close range brawls over caps or in other limited areas, because their DPM is higher than the VMF counterparts when all shots on both sides are landing.

It's also a fairly common sentiment that the Fletcher is the best torpedo boat of the tier 9 destroyers currently. They can't be the best at everything. That's no help to a game's future.

TL;DR, Game Balance

Edited by DaryaKonstantin

Members
171 posts
3,881 battles

you seem to confuse accuracy with how easy it is to hit with the accuracy. the guns are very accurate, the shells go into orbit which makes them hard to hit.

Members
866 posts
8,847 battles

On all my American DDs, I have removed AFT and the FCS module.  The American shell trajectories are so abysmal it makes little sense to fire them past 8-10km unless you're shooting at a battleship or something that ran aground.  Trying to hit a maneuvering DD at those ranges, for example, is pure luck.

I typically do not start to even open fire on an enemy unless their attention is clearly divided elsewhere, or I am spotted.  I stop shooting the second the shot no longer becomes viable to return to stealth.  Use your 5" guns at point blank range only and watch the damage pile up with the incredible rate of fire.

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

use the dynamic cross hair, zoom out a tick or two to get those 15 and 20 marks on the screen.

[KILL]
Members
50 posts
16,959 battles

use the dynamic cross hair, zoom out a tick or two to get those 15 and 20 marks on the screen.

^^^ this.  For the longest time I forgot that I was always zoomed in.  I had to lead so much I could barely see the ship I was shooting at.  Use the mouse scroll wheel and zoom out a little; you'll be able to adjust how much you see.
Edited by PigBot50

Members
16 posts
7,526 battles

MrDeaf gives good advice. I also use sequential fire in most cases, which makes it much easier to adjust shots given the high rate of fire--walk the barrage in. Battleships and cruisers are not difficult to hit at range if the enemy gives you enough time to adjust fire, once you become comfortable with the weapon.

As showshrederr says, the 5"/38 will place rounds where you aim it. Learning where to aim in order to get hits is largely a matter of practice. Some folks are naturally good at aiming; some folks are naturally good at sinking 3-pointers on the basketball court, too, but most people get good at 3-pointers by practicing at 3-pointers. Nobody complains about "floaty arcs" in the NBA!

[TSG4R]
[TSG4R]
Members
972 posts
5,062 battles

you seem to confuse accuracy with how easy it is to hit with the accuracy. the guns are very accurate, the shells go into orbit which makes them hard to hit.

This.  The USN 5"/L28 mounted on all USN DDs T5 - X is quite accurate even out to max range.  But it has a very long flight time, which means you have to know how to lead a moving target, and agile targets can dodge.  Trade off is that you get great ROF,  good to great turret rotation, and usually good range.  So:

- Learn how use the aiming reticule to properly lead targets.  Takes practice, especially against fast-moving targets moving on a diagonal.  And learn how the read clues like funnel smoke direction that give you a hint as to exactly how fast a target is moving.

- Know what you can hit and what you can't.  Don't waste shots and expose your ship shooting at stuff you can't hit.  Your hit % on destroyers will drop dramatically beyond about 8km unless they are unaware and standing still or moving in a straight line.  But BBs can usually be hit out to max range pretty easily.  Viable gunnery range for Cruiser targets depends a lot on exact type -- some cruisers are a lot more maneuverable than others.  Once you learn how to lead, It's more about how quickly the target can change speed and/or direction, now how fast it is, per se.

And don't spend too much time fretting about in-game performance vs. histroical "real life" performance.  Historically, USN WWII DDs had a considerable gunnery range advantage over most contemporaries due to radar ranging and a better integrated, more automated FCS that enabled for faster, more accurate initial target resolutions, and a superior ability to maintain an accurate target solution in when the firing ship and/or target were changing speed and/or direction (especially important for DD gunnery).  But the game doesn't really model these advantages.  Take the game for what it is, a casual arena shoot-em-up loosely based upon historical naval combat.  If you USN DD guns in the game are quite effective if you leverage their strengths.