You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
CraftsyDad

Italian Duca D'Aosta - Really Disappointed

78 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Privateers, In AlfaTesters
7,640 posts
2,112 battles

I've just reached a 10 pt captian, I'm currently running;

I: PT

II: EM

III: DE

IV: CE

I have a boring, but probably decent next 3 skills for one option -

-AR (II), which is always good.

-SE (III), because 31800 HP.

-IFHE (IV), for more HE alpha, at the cost of fires.

With this build, my RoF is 9rpm while I still have 44% of my HP left (12994, or 13913 with SE).

Or... I go for one that makes the Torpedoes really dangerous, where instead of AR I take TA, and TAE in place of SE. Reload drops from 71 seconds (1:11.0) to 63.9 seconds (1:03.9), and though your range drops from 12 to 9.6 km (you lose the stealth-torping window CE gave you), the speed goes from 51 to 56 knots, which also drops your target's reaction time from 7.42 seconds to only 6.75 seconds, which for many ships is barely enough time to get their rudder even halfway over.

IFHE would remain my second tier IV skill.

The third option is the most different from the first.

I again take TA and TAE, but instead of taking IFHE, I grab AR and LS instead, which means broken rudders won't be nearly as lethal, and AR is fairly self-explanatory (and it doesn't take much damage at all, with this build, to drop your torpedo reload below a minute).

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
231 posts
1,188 battles

Maybe it's your playstyle. Did you not watch vids about her? Don't blame WG for ships you can't play in...

​No but blame WG for not allowing us to view ship stats in game. You shouldn't have to go to youtube, or wiki or anywhere to  view a ship. You should be able to view them in game.

[NKVD]
Members
866 posts
8,529 battles

​No but blame WG for not allowing us to view ship stats in game. You shouldn't have to go to youtube, or wiki or anywhere to  view a ship. You should be able to view them in game.

what do you want to see?  The ship is excellent. The only gripe I have is the short gun range. I would have preferred 15-16km
  • Cool 1

Members
31 posts
9,623 battles

I've been having great success with IFHE first before CE. Playing aggressively and taking advantage of the ships great dodging abilities, and using the propulsion mod.

Always am shooting the guns and rarely go stealth because I can dodge, so that's why IFHE for consistent HE damage over being able to disengage. The armor is quite trolly.  

Edited by Crovas

Members
122 posts
4,563 battles

I've been playing her constantly for the last few days and I find my biggest beef with this ship is that I can't cause enough damage with the guns. I find that AP on an angled ship, cruiser or BB, gives paltry damage unless its < 10km and broadside. The most citadels I've gotten is three or four - not sure how that guy above got 10 in one game. HE is OK but I'm not getting 4k damage salvos like I'm seeing on some videos. Perhaps IFHE will improve that.

Also, I don't seem to start that many fires even when I'm running DE.

That's my problem with this ship; I can't get the guns to perform. Does anyone have any advice other than "its you not the ship dummy"

For instance, I've noticed that I've gotten improved hits by not aiming at the waterline. The shell arcs are so flat it causes many to fall short. Aiming at the top of the hull has been more successful

[SUNKN]
Members
29 posts
11,820 battles

this guy was getting 4k salvos on a BB with HE. I never got anything close to that in my gameplay. Is that the IFHE(?) difference?

​Yes.  Flamu was using IFHE in the battle.  IFHE helps but decreases fire starting rates so he balanced out the IFHE nerf by adding DE (Demolition Expert).  I use IFHE and it helps increase damage.
Edited by borbula

[-BRO]
Members
21 posts
1,199 battles

Purchased the ship last night and have been having some fun with her but I'm wondering why the voice overs were not added for Italian nationality? Will this be changed when they add more Italian ships or will I be stuck with the default? What's a matter for you WG? ;)

[UFFA]
Beta Testers
3,749 posts
4,551 battles

Didn't really want to start another thread. So I will show off my stupidity here. :Smile_honoring: aka 90% rant wall of text incoming

I don't usually pay attention to numbers and this is probably an issue. Today I had a La Galissoniere with about 1200 health left. I have IFHE and DE and the angles where quite bad so I was using HE. Now I know IFHE is not a great panacea for everything. I had the subjective reaction that it greatly cut down on shatters back when I was comparing results between my NA and EU cruisers when the ship first came out. However watching the little French fils de pute take ~200 plink after ~200 plink was annoying. I'm sure his superstructure was saturated or another game mechanic I should know better by now. :cap_wander:

Upon bringing this up in another thread I was advised large splash damage could detonate destroyers so I imagine that is a non-starter. However I wish there was a way for WG to rework HE that relied on splinter damage to more reliably attain a better damage ratio. From time to time I try to average the HE damage I do with d'Aosta and pretty regularly I come up with around 4-500 per round. Max is 2100 for a shell and I know there are modifiers for ships taking damage. I try to look at individual results for ships I damage on the detail page and take out shatters from the calculation. Maybe getting 1/4th of the potential damage is average for HE when averaging across total hits. I need to be more studious I admit.

However with other ships the fires normally average this out a bit higher. I don't want a higher fire chance! It just seems like there should be someway to get a more reliable ratio of shell damage. The AP rounds go through other tier equivalent cruisers like swiss cheese at close range. Or maybe they disappear in the void spaces and there is no British or USN superadhesive to keep the shells from bouncing at any sort of angling. :Smile-_tongue:

D'Aosta stats wise seems to sit comfortably in the middle across servers in a tier littered with premiums so I imagine it is a no go for any improvements and overall I love the ship. Once again I don't want to see RoF buffed or fire chance increased. I just wish there was a leeeetle way to make damage more reliable without throwing the ship out of whack. As I said I run IFHE and DE for that awesome 6% chance. However for every 100 rounds that hit seeing 2 fires is probably normal, 4 fires a good game and 6 fires?!?!?!? I'd eat my polenta soft to get 6 fires. :cap_fainting:

(TL;DR section)

It seems like changing the formula for HE shells with:

• Nose fuse
  • Instantaneous detonation
  • low burst explosive %
  • designed for splinter damage

to achieve a higher potential damage ratio of the shell's total potential damage to make up for the lessened fire chance might be a good thing for a supertest experiment? This way d'Aosta keeps the characteristics of the AP shells which are great at a set battle range. However helps offset the properly low DoT damage with a boost to initial damage. 

ps

You want your time back?

6CLCQ3S.gif

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,039 posts
4,848 battles

This ship is garbage....bad guns...bad armor...speed is meh....bad torps.....kinda regret buying it. 

• Funny 1

[DEV_X]
Members
55 posts
17,068 battles
On April 29, 2017 at 11:11 PM, colm_saunders said:

Boy do I have buyers remorse. This ship sucks plain and simple. Lackluster guns, extremely slow turret traverse speed, good maneuverability but not enough to dodge those BB salvos which are sure to come cause your made out of paper thin armor. HE shells that couldn't even penetrate an angled CV. The torps are the only thing I like on this ship. 12km range which is great but they are dead slow. Still I have managed to hit a few ships at extreme range.

Utterly disappointed with this PREMIUM ships, WG - I will be thinking twice about buying any more premium ships if you turn out crap like this. When I pay my money for a premium ship I expect something unique. This really is a POS.

Agree not a very good ship just playing it to train a captain so when the i talian line or a good premium comes out I will have a skilled captain. Crazy krynim suck as well had buyers remorse w that 1 2.

Members
226 posts
12 battles
On 14/08/2017 at 3:23 PM, SparvieroVV said:

Today I had a La Galissoniere with about 1200 health left. I have IFHE and DE and the angles where quite bad so I was using HE. Now I know IFHE is not a great panacea for everything. I had the subjective reaction that it greatly cut down on shatters back when I was comparing results between my NA and EU cruisers when the ship first came out. However watching the little French fils de pute take ~200 plink after ~200 plink was annoying. I'm sure his superstructure was saturated or another game mechanic I should know better by now

AP citadel = 3200

AP penetration on clean compartment = 1056

HE penetration on clean compartment = 693

AP penetration on blackened compartment = 528 (or 0)

HE penetration on blackened compartment = 347 (or 0)

AP over penetration = 320

AP is often a good choice to finish off low HP ships. Superstructure overpens are consistent.

Duca has the best ammo combo in the game. Flat, rail gun AP with HE you can still spam from behind islands.

Awesome ship. :cap_like:

• Cool 2

[UFFA]
Beta Testers
3,749 posts
4,551 battles

I'm the overpen expert. :cap_haloween:

Thanks for the stats. Besides the random RNG citadel when it comes to 10k+ firing its all about sustained damage. Which isn't going to be much against an angled opponent. Yet going bow/stern profile is about the worst thing for d'Aosta. I can go into a capture zone and brawl multiple enemies. Have several opponents at range along various cardinal points? Oh boy. 

Current NA meta does not reward this play style. Imoo. 

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,519 posts
12,810 battles

I found that the ship struggled to do damage without a high tier captain.  Once I got IFHE, my damage improved considerably.  I don't use DE, so only a 4% chance of fire IIRC.  With 149 games in the ship I'm pulling ~41k damage on average, which isnt too shabby. You just MUST be able to switch back and forth between AP and HE effectively, and you must be active with your A and D keys to keep your ship hard to hit.  I love the sea-mines.  I had played to use torpedo acceleration, however, I find that she's a nasty battleship killer when firing from 13-14km range in stealth and letting battleships derp into the fish that they have no reason to expect.

Edited by crzyhawk
  • Cool 1

[BROOK]
Members
1,634 posts
On 5/1/2017 at 2:10 PM, JochenHeiden said:

I absolutely love the Duca.  In 15 battles I have an 87% win rate, 20 kills and 0 deaths.  It is so maneuverable that I can dodge and juke shots all day.   Haven't died yet!  This was one of my best premium purchases ever. 

Who cares about your coop games performance?

• Funny 1

[NKVD]
Members
866 posts
8,529 battles
12 hours ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Who cares about your coop games performance?

If I played as poorly as you do, I'd be hating on me too.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,519 posts
12,810 battles
2 hours ago, JochenHeiden said:

If I played as poorly as you do, I'd be hating on me too.

That's just mean.

• Funny 1

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,519 posts
12,810 battles
22 hours ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

I play better than you, joey.

Tiddly winks doesn't count.

edited to avoid warranted ban

Edited by crzyhawk

[ABDA]